US total market index returns
US total market index returns chronicles the annual returns of the US total stock market as measured by stock indexes.
The growing proliferation of indexes from index providers, along with a corresponding growing number of index funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), creates a number of issues for investors, since the index returns of the different providers result in a dispersion of both yearly and multi-period returns. Dispersion of returns is not as considerable an issue with total market indexes, but as we go into style and smaller size indexes, dispersion of return increases in magnitude. These return differences are mainly due to the differing methodologies index providers utilize in constructing their indexes. Different benchmarks cover varying ranges of stocks, have different selection criteria for growth versus value, and are even maintained and rebalanced differently.
Each index provider's suite of index funds occupies the highlighted segment of the Index Strategy Box.
Total market index returns
The table below provides total market index returns.
The table below indicates the start up dates for each index series. Some index providers include backdated data prior to the inception date of the index. These dates are also provided.
|Index Provider||Inception||Backdate data|
- ↑ Indexing in the 21st Century: Portfolio Solutions Inc.
- ↑ The case for indexing, Christopher B. Philips, Vanguard research, 2011, pp.13. Viewed January 21, 2015.
- ↑ CRSP Constituents and Returns
- ↑ SPDR semi-annual reports 2009-2006, Dow Jones Indexes search for historical returns 2006-2002
- ↑ Morningstar Market Barometer Ten-Year Recap 2000-2009 , Morningstar Periodic Table 2008-1999 , Morningstar Indexes Yearbook 2004 1998-1997, "Morningstar Indexes".
- ↑ Russell Index historical performance cycles 2009-2000 , Blackrock Periodic Table of Returns 2008-1989 (use google search: Blackrock twenty year periodic table) , Investor Insights: Growth vs. Value Russell 3000 Growth and Value Indices 2008-1979 , Russell index calculator
- ↑ Vanguard VA Performance 2006 forward
- ↑ Wilshire Returns Calculator 1991 forward
- Determining the appropriate benchmark: A review of major market indexes Christopher B. Philips, C. William Cole and Francis M. Kinniry Jr.,Vanguard Research (April 10, 2010).
- The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research (February, 2011).