US mid cap index returns
US mid cap index returns chronicles the annual returns of US mid cap stocks as measured by stock indexes.
The growing proliferation of indexes from index providers, along with a corresponding growing number of index funds and ETFs, creates a number of issues for investors, since the index returns of the different providers result in a dispersion of both yearly and multi-period returns. Dispersion of returns is not as considerable an issue with Total Market indexes, but as we go into style and smaller size indexes, dispersion of return increases in magnitude. These return differences are mainly due to the differing methodologies index providers utilize in constructing their indexes. Different benchmarks cover varying ranges of stocks, have different selection criteria for growth versus value, and are even maintained and rebalanced differently.  Each index provider's suite of index funds occupies the following segment of the Index Strategy Box:
Mid cap blend index returns
The following table provides returns data for U.S. mid cap index returns.
Mid cap growth index returns
The following tables provide returns data for U.S. mid cap growth indexes.
Mid cap value index returns
The following tables provide returns data for U.S. mid cap value indexes.
The table below shows the inception date for each index, as well as the initial date for any backdated data.
|Index Provider||Inception||Backdate data|
- ↑ The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research, 2009, pp.12-13.
- ↑ Indexing in the 21st Century: Portfolio Solutions Inc.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 CRSP data source:CRSP Constituents and Returns, spreadsheet: Total Market and Capitalization index monthly returns: Growth and Value index monthly returns
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Dow Jones Indexes data source:
- SPDR semi-annual reports 2009-2006
- Dow Jones Indexes search for historical returns 2006-2002
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Morningstar data source:
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 MSCI data source:
- Vanguard 2009-2006
- MSCI 10 Year Annual Returns 2005-1996
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Russell data source:
- Russell Index historical performance cycles 2009-2000
- Janus Periodic Table of Investment Returns (1997-2011)
- STIR Periodic Table 1998-2007
- Assetplay.net 1979-2000
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 S&P data source:
- Ishares mid cap overview pages 2009-2001
- Callan Periodic Table 2004-1985
- Variance Among Indexes, Craig Israelsen, JOI, May /June 2007.
- Looking at how different indexes affect performance., Craig Israelsen, JOI, September /October 2012.
- Determining the appropriate benchmark: A review of major market indexes Christopher B. Philips, C. William Cole and Francis M. Kinniry Jr.,Vanguard Research (April 10, 2010).
- The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research (February, 2011).