US micro cap index returns
US micro cap index returns chronicles the historical annual returns of US micro cap stocks as measured by stock indexes.
The growing proliferation of indexes from index providers, along with a corresponding growing number of index funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), creates a number of issues for investors, since the index returns of the different providers result in a dispersion of both yearly and multi-period returns. Dispersion of returns is not as considerable an issue with total market indexes, but as we go into style and smaller size indexes, dispersion of return increases in magnitude. These return differences are mainly due to the differing methodologies index providers utilize in constructing their indexes. Different benchmarks cover varying ranges of stocks, have different selection criteria for growth versus value, and are even maintained and rebalanced differently.
Each index provider's suite of index funds occupies the highlighted segment of the Index Strategy Box.
Micro cap index returns
The table below provides micro cap index returns.
The following table provides the inception date for U.S. microcap indexes, as well as the initial date of backdated data.
|Index Provider||Inception||Backdate data|
- Indexing in the 21st Century: Portfolio Solutions Inc.
- The case for indexing, Christopher B. Philips, Vanguard research, 2011, pp.13. Viewed January 21, 2015.
- CRSP Returns and constituents, downloads and factsheets
- Dow Jones Indexes Dow Jones Indexes, US total market factsheets, historical sheets unavailable • First Trust prospectus 2006 - onwards
- MSCI market cap indexes, select MSCI US Equity Index Total Returns tab for calculator, 2005 onwards
- Russell index calculator • Russell Index historical performance cycles 2011-2000
- Wilshire Returns Calculator
- Determining the appropriate benchmark: A review of major market indexes Christopher B. Philips, C. William Cole and Francis M. Kinniry Jr.,Vanguard Research (April 10, 2010).
- The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research (February, 2011).
- The Truth About Micro-Cap Index Funds, Rick Ferri, forbes.com.