US mega cap index returns
US mega cap index returns chronicles the annual returns of US mega cap stocks as measured by stock indexes.
The growing proliferation of indexes from index providers, along with a corresponding growing number of index funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), creates a number of issues for investors, since the index returns of the different providers result in a dispersion of both yearly and multi-period returns. Dispersion of returns is not as considerable an issue with total market indexes, but as we go into style and smaller size indexes, dispersion of return increases in magnitude. These return differences are mainly due to the differing methodologies index providers utilize in constructing their indexes. Different benchmarks cover varying ranges of stocks, have different selection criteria for growth versus value, and are even maintained and rebalanced differently.
Each index provider's suite of index funds occupies the highlighted segment of the Index Strategy Box.
Mega cap blend index returns
The following table provides returns for the U.S. mega cap stock indexes.
Mega cap growth index returns
The following table provides returns for the U.S. mega cap growth stock indexes.
Mega cap value index returns
The following table provides returns for the U.S. mega cap value stock indexes.
The following table provides the inception date of each index, and well as the initial date of backdated data.
|Index Provider||Inception||Backdate data|
|Russell||1984 (?)||1984 (?)|
- Indexing in the 21st Century: Portfolio Solutions Inc.
- The case for indexing, Christopher B. Philips, Vanguard research, 2011, pp.13. Viewed January 21, 2015.
- CRSP Constituents and Returns
- Vanguard historical 2011- 2002 , MSCI market cap weighted indexes select MSCI US Equity Index Total Returns, and performance calculator
- Russell Index historical performance cycles 2009-2000, Russell Index Returns Calculator
- Ishares 2015-2001
- Determining the appropriate benchmark: A review of major market indexes Christopher B. Philips, C. William Cole and Francis M. Kinniry Jr.,Vanguard Research (April 10, 2010).
- The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research (February, 2011).