The Wiki pages all have a navigation panel on the left side that I often refer to and use to move around. There is a bit of annoyance to the fact that the entire panel scrolls with the main page and quickly disappears up and out of sight for any page that is longer than a single view. A good deal of scrolling time would be saved (for me at least) if the left panel stayed in sight regardless of how far down the page you happen to be. I really have no idea if there are reasons it is the way it is, I just thought I would bring it up as a perspective of some relatively new eyes on the site. Tortuga 15:38, 3 October 2013 (CDT)
- That's an interesting idea, but it would require a good deal of modification to the wiki software. We use the same software as Wikipedia and follow their guidance for policy, editing style, and user interface (website look-n-feel). It's not implemented by Wikipedia, which has millions of viewers. I also searched for software modifications on this topic and couldn't find any.
- There's probably a good reason why it's not done and we should keep the software as-is. If you have more ideas, feel free to make a suggestion.
- --LadyGeek 19:18, 3 October 2013 (CDT)
- Thanks for the feedback!
- --Tortuga 08:42, 4 October 2013 (CDT)
Hiding the page title
From MediaWiki 1.22+, the prior method to hide the page title no longer works. See: MW 1.22 breaks the FAQ item "How do I hide the main page title"
"If you would like to edit it ..." needs improvement/fixing
The 2nd paragraph containing which contains this statement could use an update. In order to send a private message, one must a) be a forum member and b) be logged in. I previously updated Help:Getting started to reflect this, but held off changing the Main Page without consultation. The same goes for the statement "Suggestions are welcome by posting ...", which could also be aided by mentioning Article feedback as part of the ways to help improve the wiki. The 2nd and 3rd paragraphs seem overly slanted towards engaging forum members to contribute and miss the mark for engaging any wiki reader. --Peculiar Investor 10:54, 11 January 2015 (CST)
- Bump - I did see some testing effort but it hasn't progressed onto here. Status? --Peculiar Investor 21:14, 21 January 2015 (CST)
- I incorporated your comments about being a forum member. However, I held off on the reader feedback article. It's at the bottom of every page, including the main page. Mention in this section would be superfluous. --LadyGeek 18:41, 23 January 2015 (CST)