Contents of This Page
Here are my evolving thoughts on what we might put here. All items should include a hyperlink leading to further information.
- News concerning the website.
- Upcoming national and chapter Bogleheads/Diehards meetings. Comprehensive reports from recent past meetings are OK also.
- Upcoming media appearances by individual Bogleheads. Links to videos, recordings, or transcripts of recent past appearances are OK also.
News from External Sites
- Upcoming/recent launches/changes concerning investment products of interest to Bogleheads.
- Recent changes to tax laws likely to affect Bogleheads.
- Vanguard's Economic Week in Review. I view this item as a close call, and I doubt we should include other listings of this type. Bogleheads may find economic articles interesting, but we don't really have to worry about the economic news because we have a longer term perspective. Two things we should definitely avoid in this kind of item:
- Articles which emphasize opinions as opposed to facts. This page is about current events, not current opinions. Economic opinion tends to have political overtones.
- Articles with very short shelf lives. A news item about the release an hour ago of a key economic report may be quite factual, but it will be obsolete within a day. Running a headline service would require too much maintenance.
Ken Schwartz 11:32, 4 June 2008 (EDT)
Updating and Archiving
Barry, thanks. I edited your post above, replacing "wiki" with "Wikipedia." Our needs are much lesser by orders of magnitude than Wikipedia's, of course. I hadn't thought of archiving our old Current Events. Do you think we need to? Ken Schwartz 12:48, 4 June 2008 (EDT)
- I would assume that a current events log would have a time frame; i.e. listings would appear for a week or a month and then be replaced with a new week/month tabulation of events. Since you plan on recording transcripts of meetings, press appearances etc. I assume you do not want these to permanently disappear each month as the page is updated. Thus these pages would need archiving if one wanted to keep of them.Blbarnitz 12:58, 4 June 2008 (EDT)
OK. As is obvious, my ideas for this page are in their infancy. (I just hated seeing it blank.) I'll try to develop over time an updating/archiving scheme which makes sense for us. Ken Schwartz 13:05, 4 June 2008 (EDT)
Based on a suggestion from the forum, I rearranged the current events to show the most recent date event at the top of the list. This seemed logical since most other 'calendar' type lists are also done that way, with the most important/most recent item showing as first in the list. Barry, since you're doing the current events updating, is that ordering okay with you? --CyberBob 16:09, 10 November 2009 (UTC)
- It is fine with me. Also, everyone, feel free to add anything appropriate. Blbarnitz 16:37, 10 November 2009 (UTC)
I changed "News from External Sites" to "Investing News". Anything not on this wiki is by definition an external site. Investing seemed the appropriate content heading. --LadyGeek 22:23, 25 November 2009 (UTC)
Resorted the archive into a list. I think it's easier to read this way. --LadyGeek 01:29, 26 November 2009 (UTC)
I removed the date from the Boglehead Chapter meetings and Investing News (when the date is not in the title). The additional dates were making the titles hard to read. Perhaps this layout will be easier for people to notice. As the date is in the title, archiving is not a problem. --LadyGeek 15:53, 8 May 2010 (UTC)