My name is Richard Ferri (Rick). I have been in the investment business for over 20 years. The first 10+ as a broker and the last 10+ years as a low-fee investment advisor.
My title is Founder of Portfolio Solutions, LLC, an investment management firm based Troy, MI. Portfolio Solutions manages close to $1 billion in separately accounts for high-net-worth individuals, families, non-profit organizations, and corporate pension plans. The firm specializes in a low-cost, tax-efficient, asset allocation investment approach to building wealth.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from the University of Rhode Island.
- Master of Science degree in Finance from Walsh College.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
Prior to joining the investment community in 1988, I served as an officer and jet pilot in the U.S. Marine Corps. In total, I served for 21 years and retired from the Marine Corps Reserve in early 2001.
I have authored six books. My latest book, The Power of Passive Investing: More Wealth with Less Work, shows how passive investors who buy the market will capture better results than most active investors who try to beat the market. The ETF Book is a comprehensive guide to the illusive world of exchange-traded funds. Other books are Serious Money: Straight Talk about Investing for Retirement [free on-line], All About Index Funds [2nd Edition: McGraw-Hill], All About Asset Allocation [McGraw-Hill] and Protecting Your Wealth in Good Times and Bad [temporarily out of print, see below].
All the royalties I earn from the sale of books is donated to the Semper Fi Fund. This non-profit organization provides immediate financial support for injured members of U.S. Armed Forces and their families.
- All About Index Funds: The Easy Way to Get Started (Google books or Amazon.com)
- All About Asset Allocation (Google books or Amazon.com)
- Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning, Rick Ferri is a co-editor of this Bogleheads community-authored book (Google books, ISBN 978047045557-9, or Amazon.com)
- The ETF Book: All You Need to Know About Exchange-Traded Funds (Google books or Amazon.com)
- The Power of Passive Investing: More Wealth with Less Work (ISBN 978-0470592205 or Amazon.com)
- Protecting Your Wealth In Good Times and Bad (Google books (temporarily out of print) or Amazon.com Kindle)
- Serious Money: Straight Talk about Investing for Retirement (free on-line)
Any purchases made at Amazon.com will result in a small referral fee for us. It does not cost you anything extra.
(06 October 2015)
- Investment discipline isn’t easy. Despite best intentions and claims to the contrary, many investors chase performance, react emotionally to market moods, and generally incur far more trading cos...
(29 September 2015)
- The Feds may or may not raise interest rates in 2015. China’s economy may or may not recover anytime soon. The correction in August caused some investors to panic and others to benefit from the d...
(22 September 2015)
- “Ignorance is bliss,” or so the saying goes. Unfortunately, as it applies to Wall Street, that bliss is more likely to go to those preying on investors’ ignorance than by those who remain fin...
(17 September 2015)
- In the market’s never-ending story, we never know how its most recent action will play out. One thing we do know is that when the market is more volatile than usual, investors who lack a personal...
(08 September 2015)
- You’ve just received a lump sum of cash. Perhaps it was from a rollover retirement account, the sale of assets, or an inheritance. Now what do you do? Your first thought may be to spend it. That...
Rick Ferri discusses his book, The Power of Passive Investing, with Morningstar.