Welcome to the Bogleheads® wiki, a collaborative undertaking by members of the Bogleheads Community. This wiki is a reference resource for investors. Bogleheads emphasize starting early, living below one's means, regular saving, broad diversification, and sticking to one's investment plan.
If all this seems a bit overwhelming, relax and don't panic. A good place to begin is getting started
. Returning visitors may be interested in our new pages
Tax-efficient fund placement is an issue facing investors holding both tax-advantaged and taxable accounts. The tax code recognizes different sources of investment income which are taxed at different rates, or, are taxed at a later time (tax "deferred"). An asset's tax efficiency (the impact of taxes on an investment) is affected by both its expected return and the tax rate on such return.
All investors must pay their fair share of taxes. This article describes how to minimize taxes through appropriate placement of investments in tax deferred or taxable (pay taxes now) accounts. (more...)
This week in financial history
- 1808 - The Borsa Italiana of Milan, Italy's main stock exchange, was founded on January 16, 1808. Share trading began on February 15, 1808. Source: Bicentennial press release
- 1792 - Today is the birthday of the dollar sign ($), as it shows up for the first time on a federal document — a U.S. Treasury bond issued to George Washington. Source: Feature: This Day in Business History The Houston Economics Club.
- 1864 - The Hungarian Stock Exchange, the predecessor of today’s Budapest Stock Exchange (BSE) began its operation on 18 January 1864 in Pest. Source: Brief history of the Exchange
- 1976 - The New York Stock Exchange installed a new high-speed data line and began transmitting market data at up to 36,000 Characters a minute. (Source)
- 1997 - Standard & Poor's Depositary Receipts (SPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF) were launched by State Street Global Advisors (SSgA) as the first exchange-traded fund in the United States (preceded by the short-lived Index Participation Shares that launched in 1989). The ETF was designed and developed by a team led by Nathan Most. Source: The 15 Most Important ETFs
Can't find what you're looking for?
Anyone can read the wiki. If you would like to edit it, you must first join the Bogleheads forum. Once you've joined, send a private message requesting access, and you can then become an editor. Information on editing the wiki is available on the left sidebar of every wiki page. Suggestions are welcome by posting in Suggestions for the Wiki.
If you see content in need of improvement
, or a new page on a topic not yet covered, consider becoming an editor so that you can contribute to the site. If you find yourself writing a reply to a forum question that's been discussed a number of times before, consider creating a wiki page with the answer. Then you and others can reply to subsequent questions on that topic with a link and a quote of your text. That way, the Bogleheads Community both preserves our knowledge base and makes it more accessible, particularly to those using search engines.