|John B. Shoven|
|Board member of||Cadence Design Systems Inc. (chairman)|
Financial Engines Inc.
American Century Funds
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Main interests||Corporate finance |
Social Security and pensions
Mutual funds tax and performance issues
John B. Shoven is The Trione Director of SIEPR (Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research), Charles R. Schwab Professor of Economics at Stanford University. Research interests include corporate finance (dividend behavior, mergers and acquisitions, share purchase), social security and private pensions, stock and bond returns, mutual funds, federal, personal and corporate income taxation, international cost-of-capital comparisons, and applied general equilibrium analysis. Recent research includes asset allocation and asset location theory; the effects of taxes on the relative performance of mutual funds; the long-run future of pension fund saving; and public policy towards pensions
Shoven serves on numerous boards of directors. He is chairman of the board of Cadence Design Systems Inc. and serves on the boards of Exponent Inc., Financial Engines Inc., and seven investment companies sponsored by American Century Investments.
Shoven is the author/coauthor of the following most cited works, listed from most to least cited.
|1986||Social Security: a Financial Appraisal Across and within Generations|
|2002||Exchange Traded Funds: A New Investment Option for Taxable Investors|
|1999||Asset Location in Tax-Deferred and Conventional Savings Accounts|
|2000||Tax Externalities of Equity Mutual Funds|
|1983||The Distributional Impact of Social Security|
|1983||The Effects of Interest Rates on Mortgage Prepayments|
Shoven is the author of twenty books, including:
- John B. Shoven; John Whalley (May 29, 1992). Applying General Equilibrium (Cambridge Surveys of Economic Literature). Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press. pp. 312. ISBN 978-0521319867.
- John B. Shoven; Sylvester J. Schieber (September 10, 1999). The Real Deal: The History and Future of Social Security. New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press. pp. 480. ISBN 978-0300081497.
- John B. Shoven; George P. Shultz (April 17, 2008). Putting Our House in Order: A Guide to Social Security and Health Care Reform. New York City, NY: W. W. Norton & Company. pp. 240. ISBN 978-0393066029.
- John Shoven profile
- "Board Member Profiles". Cadence Design Systems. http://www.cadence.com/cadence/investor_relations/Pages/board_member_profile.aspx. Retrieved February 25, 2016.
- "Exponent Appoints Dr. John B. Shoven to Board of Directors". August 22, 2007. http://www.exponent.com/Exponent-Appoints-Dr-John-B-Shoven-to-Board-of-Directors-08-22-2007/. Retrieved February 26,2016.
- "Board of Directors". http://ir.financialengines.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=233599&p=irol-govboard. Retrieved February 25, 2016.
- "John B. Shoven, Ph.D Executive Profile". Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=646099&privcapId=25941. Retrieved February 26, 2016.
- Boskin, Michael J.; Kotlikoff, Laurence J.; Puffert, Douglas J.;Shoven, John B. (April 1986). Social Security: a Financial Appraisal Across and within Generations. NBER Working Paper No. w1891: SSRN. http://ssrn.com/abstract=341840.
- Poterba, James M.; Shoven, John B. (January 2002). Exchange Traded Funds: A New Investment Option for Taxable Investors. MIT Department of Economics Working Paper No. 02-07: SSRN. http://ssrn.com/abstract=302889.
- Shoven, John B.; Sialm, Clemens (June 1999). Asset Location in Tax-Deferred and Conventional Savings Accounts. NBER Working Paper No. w7192: SSRN. http://ssrn.com/abstract=171588.
- Shoven, John B.; Sialm, Clemens; Dickson, Joel M. (April 2000). Tax Externalities of Equity Mutual Funds. NBER Working Paper No. w7669.: SSRN. http://ssrn.com/abstract=228143.
- Hurd, Michael D.; Shoven, John B. (June 1983). The Distributional Impact of Social Security. NBER Working Paper No. w1155: SSRN. http://ssrn.com/abstract=305539.
- Green, Jerry and Shoven, John B. (December 1983). The Effects of Interest Rates on Mortgage Prepayments. NBER Working Paper No. w1246: SSRN. http://ssrn.com/abstract=321301.
- John Shoven profile
- Author page, Academic search (beta)
- John Shoven, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Author page, SSRN