IRS tax statistics
Your tax dollars at work
The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) maintains a complete set of statistics on all returns.
- Tax Statistics - Produced by the Statistics of Income Division and Other Areas of the Internal Revenue Service
Here you will find a wide range of tables, articles, and data that describe and measure elements of the U.S. tax system. A lot of the information is available as a free download.
Available from the IRS:
- Business Tax Statistics
- Corporations, International, Partnerships, Nonfarm Sole Proprietorships, S Corporations
- Charitable & Exempt Org. Statistics
- Charities, Exempt Org. Master File, Private Foundations, Trusts, Tax-Exempt Bonds
- Individual Tax Statistics
- Filing Season Statistics, Estate & Gift Tax, Individual Income Tax, International, Personal Wealth
- Statistics by Form
- 706, 709, 990, 990-PF, 990-T, 1040, 1041, 1065, 1118, 1120, 5471, 5472, 8038
- IRS Operations, Budget & Compliance
- Issuing Refunds, Collecting Revenue, Enforcing Laws, Assisting Taxpayers
- Products, Publications, & Papers
- SOI Bulletins, IRS Data Books, Conference Papers, SOI Paper Series, Historical Data Tables
A free Excel Viewer for Office 2003 or earlier is available from Microsoft (link found on IRS web site).