FTSE Global All Cap Index
The FTSE Global All Cap Index is a free-float, [note 1] market-capitalization weighted index representing the performance of around 7400 large, mid and small cap companies in 47 developed and emerging markets worldwide, including the USA. The index is derived from the FTSE Global Equity Index Series  and was launched on September 22, 2003 (base date December 31, 1986). 
FTSE index methodology is summarized in the table:
|Weighting methodology||Market-cap-weighted, adjusted for free float.|
|Rebalancing methodology||Periodic reviews. Annual country reviews on a region-by-region basis.|
|Tier 1: Broad-market classification||Included: Shares listed on a stock exchange or recognized market that are in top 98% of each region by full market cap. Excluded: Convertible preferred shares or loan stocks.|
|Tier 2: Economic classification (developed or emerging markets||
|Tier 3: Geographical classification (region or country||
|Tier 4: Style classification (market-cap breakdown for large-, mid-, and small-cap)||
The index is comprised of holdings from 47 countries.
|Canada||France||Israel||New Zealand||Singapore||United Arab Emirates|
|Chile||Germany||Italy||Norway||South Africa||United Kingdom|
Market capitalization ranges
The FTSE Global All Cap Index provides coverage of 98% of the world stock market capitalization. FTSE considers the market to consist of: 
- Large cap stocks 70%
- Mid cap stocks 20%
- Small cap stocks 10%
Annual returns for the index are included in the table below. Benchmark returns are adjusted for withholding taxes.
(View Google Spreadsheet in browser, then File --> Download as to download the file.)
- In March 2013, FTSE adopted a fundamental policy of using actual free float percentages (rounded up to the next 1%) in its indexes. The move was taken to reduce unnecessary turnover in the indexes. See Free Float Adjusted - FTSE, for extended discussion.
- The Vanguard Total World Stock Index Fund investor shares (VTWSX) and the Vanguard Total World Stock ETF (VT) tracked the FTSE All-World Index through December 18, 2011, and the FTSE Global All Cap Index thereafter.
- The Vanguard Total World Stock Index Fund is also available in an Institutional (VTWIX) share class. This share class is commonly used in the corporate retirement plan market.
- Index Ground Rules
- FTSE Index Support Guides, select Global Equity Index Series Guide to Calculation
- FTSE Vanguard Portal
- FTSE tickers, google spreadsheet