This page supplies the featured article summary for the main page, which rotates on a daily basis. The featured article summaries which appear on the main page are:
- Featured article/Behavioral pitfalls
- Featured article/Bogleheads® investment philosophy
- Featured article/Importance of saving early
- Featured article/Index fund
- Featured article/Investing FAQ for the Bogleheads® forum
- Featured article/Investment policy statement
- Featured article/Mutual fund
- Featured article/Risk and return: an introduction
- Featured article/Risk tolerance
- Featured article/Tax-efficient fund placement
- Featured article/Three-fund portfolio
The selected article for today appears below. View the source (or edit this page) to see the day in which a specific article summary will appear.
Tax-efficient fund placement is an issue facing investors holding both tax-advantaged and taxable accounts. The tax code recognizes different sources of investment income which are taxed at different rates, or, are taxed at a later time (tax "deferred"). An asset's tax efficiency (the impact of taxes on an investment) is affected by both its expected return and the tax rate on such return.
All investors must pay their fair share of taxes. This article describes how to minimize taxes through appropriate placement of investments in tax deferred or taxable (pay taxes now) accounts. (more...)