How to add a footnote and reference
Hi, I appreciate the need to include references and I am more than happy to do so. However I am really struggling to master the insertion of references and footnotes. I have read the Wiki guide on the subject and I am more confused now. I am sure it is straightforward, but could someone give me a simple set of steps. Thanks. DJN
- If you've read the wiki guide for Citing references, let me show an example. Citations can be formatted in several different ways, but let's start with a simple citation to show how it works. If needed, we can fix the format later. Edit this page so you can see how it's done.
- A citation example: The Pensions Authority is a statutory body set up under the Pensions Act, 1990.
- A notes example: There are different types of pensions that you may be entitled to on retirement.[note 1]
- When wiki editors discuss topics in a discussion page (like this one), it is customary to sign the entry with your username. You've done so in the earlier comment, but the wiki editor's toolbar has a menu entry for this purpose. The third button from the left will create --~~~~. Selecting "Show preview" or "Save Changes" will convert that text to your username with a timestamp.
- I'm indenting my response to differentiate it from your entry. Both the indentation and timestamp are Wikipedia common practices.
- If you still have a problem, simply enter your citation information and indicate "Citation" (or another description) to let the other wiki editors know your intention. We'll take care of the details for you. Alternatively, request assistance in the wiki editor's forum. We'll help you with the layout or anything else you'd like to do.
- --LadyGeek 01:06, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
Hi, I would like to start a new page on Irish Pension Performance, I have begun an outline in a new template. I have also now created a new page under the same title. Thanks for your help.
- --DJN 6 December 2018
- In Ireland, you can receive a state pension.
- About Us, The Pensions Authority.