Costco Carpet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
CUBuffs
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Costco Carpet

Post by CUBuffs »

Hello Bogleheads,
We're planning on recarpeting our home. I searched on carpet on this forum and found a few people that mentioned Costco as a possible place for carpet. We've looked at the carpet display at our Costco and it seems like pretty good quality carpet.

Has anyone had any experience with getting carpet from Costco, e.g., price, quality, installation, etc? Would your recomment Costco for carpet?

Thanks!
Mike
User avatar
Bruce
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:02 am
Location: Alaska

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by Bruce »

Costco is a great company and offers quality products and service.

But our experience last month getting multiple carpet bids was that Lowe's was significantly less expensive on the total finished job, then the local contractor we contacted through the in store Costco carpet "kiosk", when comparing equivalent types of carpet and padding.

The difference may have had more to do with the amount of stairs we had done.

I suspect that experience will vary by region, so suggest you shop for multiple bids.

regards
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
SteveB3005
Posts: 1425
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by SteveB3005 »

Might check local flooring companies also, sometimes good deals there too. New construction installs slow in winter and they will discount stock sitting in inventory. I think locals sometimes have better installer crews from less turnover and can respond quicker if there is a problem, theoretically.
sport
Posts: 9492
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by sport »

We bought window blinds through Costco. They used an independent contractor to do the installation. They did a good job. The manufacturer's warranty was better than normal because we bought them through Costco.

Jeff
User avatar
Frobie
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:56 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by Frobie »

We did it a couple of years ago. It was an independent contractor.

First a design person came out to the house and helped us pick out what we wanted. Then a few weeks later the installers came and did the work.

I'm sure we could have gotten it done cheaper elsewhere, but for the quality we got I think we paid a very good price.

Except for the deign person trying to sell us an electricity plan while she was at the house (?!), it was a vey positive experience. I'd definitely use them again if the need arose.
I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed. --Booker T. Washington
epilnk
Posts: 2680
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:05 pm

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by epilnk »

I just had a carpet installed on Friday. I didn't check Costco, but I did compare a local flooring store to Lowes and was surprised to discover that the local guys had the edge. I compared olefin berbers with a similar warrantee and the local company quoted me the same total cost with installation, but with a higher grade carpet pad included. They also had a larger selection of the type of carpet I wanted, and were very helpful and responsive. I plan to work with them again.

When you work with Lowes they subcontract the labor to a local installer and take a cut. When you work directly with the local contractors you get to choose who you work with, and the labor part of the price is entirely theirs. They can either pass on some savings to you, keep it all, or split the difference. I call any of those a win, because if I'm not the one to benefit I'd at least rather have the profit go to the guy who actually does the work than corporate HQ. At least in our area, contractors are hurting these days.
User avatar
brisni
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:45 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by brisni »

We just got carpet and wood flooring through the vendor using a kiosk at Costco in Austin.
They were running a special, plus there was a significant rebate in the form of Costco gift cards.
I don't know the numbers, but my wife checked around and it looked like the best overall deal
in the area. The installation looks very good and we have no complaints.

- Brian
zinnia
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by zinnia »

epilnk wrote:I just had a carpet installed on Friday. I didn't check Costco, but I did compare a local flooring store to Lowes and was surprised to discover that the local guys had the edge. I compared olefin berbers with a similar warrantee and the local company quoted me the same total cost with installation, but with a higher grade carpet pad included. They also had a larger selection of the type of carpet I wanted, and were very helpful and responsive. I plan to work with them again.

When you work with Lowes they subcontract the labor to a local installer and take a cut. When you work directly with the local contractors you get to choose who you work with, and the labor part of the price is entirely theirs. They can either pass on some savings to you, keep it all, or split the difference. I call any of those a win, because if I'm not the one to benefit I'd at least rather have the profit go to the guy who actually does the work than corporate HQ. At least in our area, contractors are hurting these days.
in my locale, I found Lowe's a little cheaper than than locals. Lowe's has a marketing plan that often discounts the cost of installation but the total bottom line is what you look for. They do contract it out, the contractor (that lived in my town) came and measured, then installed it after the purchase. A Lowe's supervisor stopped by during the installation to make sure we were satisfied and called us a week later to check again on our satisfaction. Three months later, my wife saw a minor issue with the install, we called Lowe's and the same installer came by the same day. That was 3 years ago, we would certainly do business with Lowe's again.
Topic Author
CUBuffs
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by CUBuffs »

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! We had a contractor from Costco bring carpet samples and provide an estimate. It sounds like a good option to go with Costco, but as some of you have suggested, we'll check Lowes and some local contractors.

We live in the Denver area, so we were thinking it might be better to wait until spring or early summer so the windows and doors can be open to ventilate. The carpet is 15 years old, so we're thinking removal will be dusty. Does anyone know whether carpet installation involves any adhesives that are oderous?

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Mike
epilnk
Posts: 2680
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:05 pm

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by epilnk »

MikeDenver wrote:Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! We had a contractor from Costco bring carpet samples and provide an estimate. It sounds like a good option to go with Costco, but as some of you have suggested, we'll check Lowes and some local contractors.

We live in the Denver area, so we were thinking it might be better to wait until spring or early summer so the windows and doors can be open to ventilate. The carpet is 15 years old, so we're thinking removal will be dusty. Does anyone know whether carpet installation involves any adhesives that are oderous?

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Mike
I'm not familiar with adhesive installation, since ours is tacked down, but there are adhesives in the carpet itself. Carpets are one of the worst contributors to indoor pollution, and carpets that contain lower amounts of VOCs tend to be pricy. I closed off the room and left the windows open for a few days.
User avatar
Frobie
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:56 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by Frobie »

One other thing I didn't think about but wish I had known...

If you decide to go the Costco route and have the plain "Gold Star" membership like most people, it might be worth it to upgrade to the "Executive" membership that gives you 2% cash back at least for the year when you have the carpet done. Carpet apparently counts as an eligible purchase for cash back. Then you'd also get 2% back on everything else you buy at Costco for the year.

It would have been worth it in our case. Oh, well.
mikep
Posts: 3723
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by mikep »

Frobie wrote:One other thing I didn't think about but wish I had known...

If you decide to go the Costco route and have the plain "Gold Star" membership like most people, it might be worth it to upgrade to the "Executive" membership that gives you 2% cash back at least for the year when you have the carpet done. Carpet apparently counts as an eligible purchase for cash back. Then you'd also get 2% back on everything else you buy at Costco for the year.

It would have been worth it in our case. Oh, well.
Or just save your membership money and use Fidelity 2% AMEX at Costco.
User avatar
interplanetjanet
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: the wilds of central California

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by interplanetjanet »

mikep wrote:
Frobie wrote:One other thing I didn't think about but wish I had known...

If you decide to go the Costco route and have the plain "Gold Star" membership like most people, it might be worth it to upgrade to the "Executive" membership that gives you 2% cash back at least for the year when you have the carpet done. Carpet apparently counts as an eligible purchase for cash back. Then you'd also get 2% back on everything else you buy at Costco for the year.

It would have been worth it in our case. Oh, well.
Or just save your membership money and use Fidelity 2% AMEX at Costco.
Or do both. If the executive membership is a win, then that plus a rewards CC will do even better.

-janet
Post Reply