Anybody Ever Remove a Pillowtop from a Mattress?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retiredjg

Anybody Ever Remove a Pillowtop from a Mattress?

Post by retiredjg » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 pm

I hate my mattress. The pillowtop has divots in it making the mattress uncomfortable. :evil: I paid a lot for it and would lake to salvage the mattress if possible.

An internet search indicates this is not an uncommon problem and some people have done pillowtop-ectomies. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience and would be kind enough to share it.

Norris

Post by Norris » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Turn it over :)

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Norris wrote:Turn it over :) Norris

Yes. I'm considering that too. But I was not sure that side of the mattress was actually constructed to sleep on. But if that should work, it would sure solve a few problems and make me very :D

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Not me personally, but it's a popular option at the whats the best mattress forum, especially if you've got something with good springs. The consensus at this forum is 1. pillowtops suck, and 2. "S-brands" (Sealy Serta Simmons Sterns&/Foster) suck. But some have decent springs.Go to whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/ and search for "mattress surgery". You can find detailed instructions, with photos and recommendations for any kind of replacement topper you can imagine.

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:30 pm

The pillowtop sagging problem was why we liked the Sleep Number design. The whole top removes with a zipper, and you can replace the foam to make it new again. I was surprised to have to replace the foam after only three years (they say five is more normal), but it sure beats having to buy a new bed (been there, done that).

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 pm

epilnk wrote:Not me personally, but it's a popular option at the whats the best mattress forum, especially if you've got something with good springs. The consensus at this forum is 1. pillowtops suck, and 2. "S-brands" (Sealy Serta Simmons Sterns&/Foster) suck. But some have decent springs.Go to whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/ and search for "mattress surgery". You can find detailed instructions, with photos and recommendations for any kind of replacement topper you can imagine.
That's the best of the websites so far. Thanks.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:39 am

jenny345 wrote:Pillowtops suck. They sag and you wake up with unnecessary aches from where your body was sagging through the night.

I've been finding this out the hard way

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:09 pm

I often considered doing that with our old king pillow top mattress. Instead we got rid of it and now even our new pillow topless is starting to sag. We are not overweight and the old queen in the back bedroom that we slept on for many years still does not sag a bit. What gives? I think many, many times over before I buy anything new now. Do they make anything that is not junk?

Let us know the results if you do decide to take the padding out. I just figured that I would be making a big mess if I tried it.

dbonnett

Post by dbonnett » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Heavy mattress cover

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:15 pm

dbonnett wrote:Heavy mattress cover
I don't understand how that would help.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:04 pm

You might have to take a loss. We once got rid of a Sealy mattress we only had for 5 years, both got backaches, have now for 15 years one starting with "E" and sleep happy since then.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Puakinekine wrote:I often considered doing that with our old king pillow top mattress. Instead we got rid of it and now even our new pillow topless is starting to sag. We are not overweight and the old queen in the back bedroom that we slept on for many years still does not sag a bit. What gives? I think many, many times over before I buy anything new now. Do they make anything that is not junk?
Not for the last decade, if what I've read was correct. (I don't vouch for it.) There was a change in the industry in the late 90s toward lower quality foam and lower quality construction. Apparently somebody figured out that they'd make a lot more money if people bought new beds every 7 years instead of every 20, and the only thing that really influenced the buying decision was how comfy the mattress was for 15 min in the showroom. So they started with super comfy pillowtops made of low grade but plush foam. They sold like hotcakes, and all the other mass manufacturers had to fall into line. Durability is contrary to the best interest of the manufacturers, and of course they deliberately make it impossible to comparison shop.

Audiophile

Post by Audiophile » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:43 pm

IMHO, an all latex bed appears to be the way to go.

There are 2 types of latex manufacturing methods: Dunlop & Talalay.
Each can use 100 % latex or a blend. With the former being more expensive.

If I were going to do "surgery" on a matress, I would obtain latex topper(s) to place over the springs. Not a bad plan as along as the springs still have a serviceable life.

Not only is the: "whatsthebest-mattress" website (mentioned above) a good one for info., but themattressundeground forum is also a great venue for learning about bedding. It's a fairly new site. One whose author was a regular poster on the whatsthebest-mattress site and who decided to start his own site. So far, most all I have seen, has been quite objectively presented and Phoenix, the forum admin. has been very helpful by providing personal one-on-one information. He's made a very difficult process much less so.

We're poised ready to buy a new mattress after the foreshortened unceremonious death (after only 7-years) of a much advertised and expensive, "S" company mattress.

After much research, my preference is a build your own layer by layer bed of 100% Talalay latex adjusted to each sleepers preferences & needs.

One simply lays each layer down on a foundation & zips the fabric cover up around the layers. By it's nature, latex adheres to itself, so, their is no concern of slippage.

This allows for mixing & and matching firmness layers to get the comfort layer and support layers correct for each sleeper. Once it's correct, if down the road changes are necessary, all one has to do is unzip the cover and remove / replace the layer that needs changing.

I know of at least a couple Internet companies that offer this sort of build-your-own service. These are Flobeds & SleepEz. Each have many favorable consumer reviews.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:13 pm

epilink, thanks for your comment. Having a bad mattress created a lot of pain for us and also a very bad long-lasting memory. We did not opt to buy a new mattress every 7 years, but bought one which lasted now for 15 years without pain, so those manufacturers miscalculated. In those 5 years we exchanged the Sealy mattress once because its indentations were exceeding the warranty, though we paid over $1000 around 1992.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Audiophile wrote:IMHO, an all latex bed appears to be the way to go.

If I were going to do "surgery" on a matress, I would obtain latex topper(s) to place over the springs. Not a bad plan as along as the springs still have a serviceable life.

Not only is the: "whatsthebest-mattress" website (mentioned above) a good one for info., but themattressundeground forum is also a great venue for learning about bedding. It's a fairly new site. One whose author was a regular poster on the whatsthebest-mattress site and who decided to start his own site. So far, most all I have seen, has been quite objectively presented and Phoenix, the forum admin. has been very helpful by providing personal one-on-one information. He's made a very difficult process much less so.

We're poised ready to buy a new mattress after the foreshortened unceremonious death (after only 7-years) of a much advertised and expensive, "S" company mattress.

After much research, my preference is a build your own layer by layer bed of 100% Talalay latex adjusted to each sleepers preferences & needs.

One simply lays each layer down on a foundation & zips the fabric cover up around the layers. By it's nature, latex adheres to itself, so, their is no concern of slippage.

This allows for mixing & and matching firmness layers to get the comfort layer and support layers correct for each sleeper. Once it's correct, if down the road changes are necessary, all one has to do is unzip the cover and remove / replace the layer that needs changing.

I know of at least a couple Internet companies that offer this sort of build-your-own service. These are Flobeds & SleepEz. Each have many favorable consumer reviews.
We have a Flobed zoned mattress. Unbeatable customer service.

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Our solution to a saggy Sealy after 5 years was to add a layer with a latex topper from costco. Definately helped us with our beds

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:09 pm

Great! These last several posts have added a lot to my range of things to investigate.

I had already realized that my disappointment with pillow-tops was widespread. I had not yet realized that "my mattress only lasted 5 years" is a common complaint. Apparently they are making garbage these days.

I still think in terms of 20 years or 30 years. Heck, my spare bedrooms are outfitted with 40 to 55 year old mattresses that are just fine. Go figure.

I will first try to just turn my mattress over. If it turns out to be a "one side only" construction, I'll try surgery on the pillow-top. If that does not work, I'll try to build my own.

Reminds me of my early-married days when the only thing we could afford was a 4" foam pad. Very comfortable, but hot. But I guess that can be fixed with other stuff over it.

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Audiophile

Post by Audiophile » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Epilnk: Good to hear of your FloBed positive experience.

Thanks for the welcome retiredjg!

The information that I've gleaned in the last couple of weeks from Bogleheads has both boggled and opened my mind!

Up until 2008, I had done quite well with our portfolio, but I uncharacteristically allowed my emotions to supersede my objectivity and sold when I shouldn't have and have since, become gun shy. This is made more so because we're approaching retirement, probably in the next few months.

Thus, I've been thinking about employing a financial planner. We've interviewed several. But I've never really felt comfortable with turning my future, my savings, over to someone else, hence, the reason I'm here.

I'm looking forward to obtaining some of the books on the reading list and am trying to educated myself -- doing my due diligence -- before posing any specific or even general questions.

I remain quite elated that I've found this site; so much so, that I've told my son, my nephew, and a couple of co-workers about Bogleheads, directing them to a couple of amazingly informative threads.

Thanks again for the welcome. I look forward to learning more and offering help where I can.

-Mike

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:54 am

Threads like this make me dread having to shop for a new mattress, even though I know my existing one is getting close to the end of its life.

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:29 am

Mudpuppy wrote:Threads like this make me dread having to shop for a new mattress, even though I know my existing one is getting close to the end of its life.
It is a legitimate dread. I shopped off and on for months. Tried out my mattress at least 4 different times. Somehow made a bad choice anyway. It was only a few weeks before there was a divot where I sleep. All I can say is DON'T GET A PILLOWTOP!

In retrospect, I had read a Consumer Reports article that said to limit the pillowtop to 1" or less. I didn't pay enough attention to that. Now I understand that recommendation much better.

What would have saved me is using a store with a 30 day sleep guarantee. I chose to shop a mom and pop store to support local business and they didn't have the 30 day guarantee. In this case, that was a big mistake.

The other thing I would do differently next time is to shop only 1 or two stores. There is no way to comparison shop mattresses since they do not have the same model names from store to store. It will drive you completely nuts to shop around! Pick what you know is a good store (0r possibly 2 stores) with a 30 day guarantee and do all your testing there. If you do this you will be much less likely to suffer an attack of analysis paralysis.

The other Consumer Reports recommendation is to try the mattresses at least 15 minutes in the store. Considering that their other recommendation was right on point, maybe this one should be followed as well.

Good luck!

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:38 am

This thread is a real eye opener! We have a Simmons beautyrest that was purchased about 25 years ago. We have had a depression where our bodies lie since almost the beginning. At the time I called back the store or Beautyrest (not sure) and they said that was normal for this mattress because it was not made of springs. I really didn't believe him. The dpressions never got worse and we were always comfortable. Its just that you can see it a bit through the comforter. Our married son comes to visit a couple of times each year and they don't like the twin beds in the guest room. We figure we will buy a new mattress at some point but now it seems a bit depressing!

Thanks OP for starting this thread. It is very informative.

Oh, as far as the information that you should test a bed for 15 min in the store.... I always felt that was useless. After countless others have done it you are testing a used bed . What you receive at home is brand new and will feel totally different. This happened to us with a sofa. The store model was quite comfortable. The one we got was stiff because no one had sat on it before!

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:08 am

mbres60 wrote: The dpressions never got worse and we were always comfortable.
Therein lies the difference. My depressions are so deep, the mattress is not comfortable - the mattress is always pushing me back into the hole. And trying to sleep on my stomach is impossible - too much back sway.

I think the 15 minute suggestion was to be sure the bed was still comfortable for you after 15 minutes. Most everything feels good for the first 60 seconds.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:08 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:Threads like this make me dread having to shop for a new mattress, even though I know my existing one is getting close to the end of its life.
It is a legitimate dread. I shopped off and on for months. Tried out my mattress at least 4 different times. Somehow made a bad choice anyway. It was only a few weeks before there was a divot where I sleep. All I can say is DON'T GET A PILLOWTOP!
After looking through the numerous other mattress threads here on Bogleheads, I already knew about avoiding pillowtops. I have massive dust mite allergies and the super-deep allergen covers for pillowtop mattresses run over $100. It's much cheaper to get a standard mattress and allergen cover and then add mattress toppers in a second allergen cover to get that pillowtop feel than to get a pillowtop mattress and a super-deep allergen cover.

My main decision paralysis right now is innerspring versus foam versus memory foam and where to find a low-VOC version of the foam mattresses locally if I opt for that. My current mattress is an 8" futon with a 6" reflex foam core surrounded by cotton batting. The worst part about it when new was it smelled for a month from the foam off-gassing. I now know how unhealthy that was (didn't know that as a college kid when I got it). Innerspring avoids the foam issue, but I've slept on foam mattresses since I was a teenager so I'm not sure I'd get a good night's sleep on innerspring (can't get accurate feel from hotels since the noise wakes me up more than the mattress comfort).

And this is why my great-grandparents bedroom set is still in storage in the garage... I tossed the 40 yr old mattress and have yet to find a replacement. So here I am still sleeping on my college futon.

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:And this is why my great-grandparents bedroom set is still in storage in the garage... I tossed the 40 yr old mattress and have yet to find a replacement. So here I am still sleeping on my college futon.
Maybe all you need is a box spring or a "foundation" on that bedroom set under your futon. :wink:

Could be real cheap!

I've wondered about low or no VOC foam myself.

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:35 pm

The deed is done. I removed the pillow-top! It came off intact and might actually double as a bed in the back of my 4-Runner, so I guess I'll save it.

Underneath was a piece of foam about 1.5 to 2" thick. Under that - I don't know. There is something that closes off that space. I guess the springs are in there, but I don't know what is over or under the springs. For the time being, I left the foam, covered it with my mattress cover and put the sheets on the bed.

We'll see how it sleeps. :lol:

The mattress is about 2 or 3 inches lower than it was (good for the older dog I'm sure) and there is no longer anything cushy on top of it. I'll miss that first 5 minutes of good cushiness, but I won't miss the divot that I couldn't roll out of. Might need to look at some kind of topper. Might not.

The more I learn about mattresses, the less I'm impressed by all the hype.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:12 pm

retiredjg wrote:I had already realized that my disappointment with pillow-tops was widespread. I had not yet realized that "my mattress only lasted 5 years" is a common complaint. Apparently they are making garbage these days.
Amazing. My spouse has been recently complaining about the mattress. We have a pillowtop. I just checked the receipt, it's... 5 years old. :shock:

This mattress was from a local manufacturer that does custom builds (no "S" brands). At the time, we tried everything they had and the best one to us was one with a pillowtop.

It's definitely not "garbage" construction, but maybe the materials don't hold up over time. Time to revisit the mattress forums. I know about ""whatsthebest-mattress," but will also check "themattressundeground" once I get back from my business trip (I'll be offline for the rest of this week).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Norris

Post by Norris » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:15 pm

retiredjg wrote:The more I learn about mattresses, the less I'm impressed by all the hype.
I think there are many variables where a good nights sleep is concerned. The mattress may take the blame/credit for a poor/good nights sleep when it fact the mattress has little if anything to do with it.

Another solution I've not heard on this thread is putting a piece of plywood under the mattress to firm it up. I think it's worth a try at least.

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Norris wrote:Another solution I've not heard on this thread is putting a piece of plywood under the mattress to firm it up. I think it's worth a try at least.
I agree this works for some issues. In fact, I have such a set up in my spare BR. But a piece of plywood would be about 18 inches under the problem in this case. :wink: The problem is (actually WAS) the pillow-top, not the mattress body.

tarnation

Post by tarnation » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:36 pm

We have a S&F pillow top that we bought back when they put the pillow top on both sides. I have to say it was/is the most wonderful bed I have ever slept on anywhere and still love it except it was Queen size and we needed a King.

So sadly when shopping for our king, S&F and others changed to a single side pillow top, ostensibly to accommodate an aging population that doesn't want to flip it over. So when they went to one side, they changed the filling density/composition to denser since now you are only sleeping on one side all the time. The stiffer foam composition tends to sag over time more and is not as comfortable. I think the new ones are not nearly as nice as the old ones. When we first got it, our son (3 yo) wouldn't sleep directly on it he would only sleep with the comforter under him. :(

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:41 am

Congratulations on the successful pillowtop-ectomy. And to get back to your suggestion to me, I did consider just making a platform for the futon and attaching my great-grandparents' headboard, but I think the futon has seen better days... at least my constant snap-crackle-pop when I wake up is making me think it's beyond its prime.

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:44 am

Well, the first night was pretty good. I did miss the nice cushy feel when I first got into bed. I did not miss rolling into the hole all night! In the end, I think I'll need to add some kind of topper to soften things up just a bit.

Mudpuppy, have you looked at natural latex/organic wool/organic cotton products? In some of the reading I've been doing, there are claims that dust mites don't like natural latex or wool. And I believe I'm coming to understand these things are naturally fire retardant (eliminating the need for fire retardant chemicals). Right now, I'm leaning in this direction to avoid outgassing of memory foam.

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:37 am

jenny345 wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:Congratulations on the successful pillowtop-ectomy. And to get back to your suggestion to me, I did consider just making a platform for the futon and attaching my great-grandparents' headboard, but I think the futon has seen better days... at least my constant snap-crackle-pop when I wake up is making me think it's beyond its prime.
We had a futon in the guest bedroom and got rid of it because of all of the snap-crackle pop sounds.
Ha! I thought mudpuppy meant bone and joints, not the futon.

Either way, the futon may be on its way out.... :lol:

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:38 am

Mudpuppy wrote: After looking through the numerous other mattress threads here on Bogleheads, I already knew about avoiding pillowtops. I have massive dust mite allergies and the super-deep allergen covers for pillowtop mattresses run over $100. It's much cheaper to get a standard mattress and allergen cover and then add mattress toppers in a second allergen cover to get that pillowtop feel than to get a pillowtop mattress and a super-deep allergen cover.

My main decision paralysis right now is innerspring versus foam versus memory foam and where to find a low-VOC version of the foam mattresses locally if I opt for that. My current mattress is an 8" futon with a 6" reflex foam core surrounded by cotton batting. The worst part about it when new was it smelled for a month from the foam off-gassing. I now know how unhealthy that was (didn't know that as a college kid when I got it). Innerspring avoids the foam issue, but I've slept on foam mattresses since I was a teenager so I'm not sure I'd get a good night's sleep on innerspring (can't get accurate feel from hotels since the noise wakes me up more than the mattress comfort).

And this is why my great-grandparents bedroom set is still in storage in the garage... I tossed the 40 yr old mattress and have yet to find a replacement. So here I am still sleeping on my college futon.
Mudpuppy, a latex mattress encased in wool is probably your best bet for dust mite resistance. They're pricy, though, and latex doesn't suit everyone. There is some debate over whether organic latex is superior to synthetic latex - I'm not convinced myself, but I'm asthmatic and we have organic. It smells a bit odd when you first set up the bed but that dissipates quickly.

You do need to beware of mass market latex mattresses, because the marketing can be very deceptive - many have a layer of latex over a core of cheaper foam. Watch out for the ones that are "latex and organic foam" - if it doesn't say organic latex, then they're probably talking about a synthetic foam made from organic soybeans (I'm not kidding) that may contain polyurethane. Some of these mattresses actually feel superior in the showroom, especially the ones with "edge stabilization". (One of the big drawbacks to latex is that the beds are oddly uncomfortable when you sit on the edge.)

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:44 am

retiredjg wrote:And I believe I'm coming to understand these things are naturally fire retardant (eliminating the need for fire retardant chemicals). Right now, I'm leaning in this direction to avoid outgassing of memory foam.
Latex/wool mattresses are exempt from regulations that require flame retardant chemicals because they meet flammability standards without chemicals. In some states I've read that latex/wool is the only chemical free mattress available without a doctor's prescription.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:56 am

mbres60 wrote:Oh, as far as the information that you should test a bed for 15 min in the store.... I always felt that was useless. After countless others have done it you are testing a used bed . What you receive at home is brand new and will feel totally different. This happened to us with a sofa. The store model was quite comfortable. The one we got was stiff because no one had sat on it before!
It is completely useless to you, but it's a very good sales technique. Mattresses are engineered to feel good in the store, period. That low grade polyurethane foam is heavenly at first. Any mattress that feels good during that first 15 min will probably begin to feel different after 15 days of body weight compression, and will feel completely different after 15 months of 8 hr nights. That low density polyurethane foam is not very resilient so it will soon begin to compact. But by the time you reach that point the sale is done, so it doesn't matter if the mattress becomes uncomfortable. In fact the sooner you come back for another mattress, the better.

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:21 pm

About that 15 minute thing. As I recall, what Consumer Reports said is the testers found if they tested the mattress in the store for less than 15 minutes, there was little predictability as to whether they would like the mattress once it got home (I think for 30 days). If they did lie on it for at least 15 minutes, it was more likely they would actually like it once it got home.

When I actually got to testing myself, I found it very difficult to actually lie there 15 minutes - especially when testing several. :lol: I do think this might have contributed to my poor choice of a sucky S Brand mattress - because it did feel oh-so-good that first few minutes.

I'm certainly leaning toward taking out the rest of the polyurethane foam and just using a latex/wool/organic cotton topper. I surely don't need any outgassing of mattress chemicals or fire retardants either. I'm wondering if that is one of the contributing factors to the huge increase in adult onset asthma these days.

Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Buy a new mattress. Invest in a natural latex mattress. You will get a lot of life out of it, sleep great, and it is healthier than breathing all the fumes all night in a cheap mattress.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OrzevQ ... e&q&f=true

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:55 pm

DH and I bought a natural (organic if you must know) latex mattress almost exactly a year ago. Love it and haven't looked back. I researched and shopped hard for it because I hate wasting money.

It was $2000 for a queen. A lot of money, but I'm sure it will last forever. There is ZERO motion transfer, which is nice because we have little kids and someone is always crawling into our bed at night. It made me feel a bit better when a coworker told me she paid more than that for a queen pillowtop, so I guess the price wasn't totally out of line. The outer of the mattress is organic cotton and wool, and wool is naturally flame retardant... so no stinky carcinogens on our bed.

The company we bought from was local, but the majority of their business is online. I think they do a 10% off all mattresses sale in October, but I'm not positive. If anyone wants the link, send me a message and I'd be happy to send it to you.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:03 am

retiredjg wrote:
jenny345 wrote:We had a futon in the guest bedroom and got rid of it because of all of the snap-crackle pop sounds.

I did mean the joints, and I'm not really old enough for my joints to be that noisy in the morning....

I'm glad to hear the first night went well retiredjg. Nice thing about adding your own toppers is they're easy to swap out if you turn out not to like them. Not so easy with a pillowtop.

Right now I'm going to keep researching. My sleep doctor wants me to do an in-home sleep test in a couple weeks that should be enlightening. At least it should tell me how badly I toss and turn (and if I stop breathing at home since I didn't sleep well enough during the sleep center test to eliminate sleep apnea). I'll look into natural latex and wool, although the only eco-friendly product I've found locally is the eco-line of one of the "S" brands. But I have yet to investigate the local mattress factory to see what they offer, mostly because they're closed by the time I get off work.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:37 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
retiredjg wrote:
jenny345 wrote:We had a futon in the guest bedroom and got rid of it because of all of the snap-crackle pop sounds.

I did mean the joints, and I'm not really old enough for my joints to be that noisy in the morning....

I'm glad to hear the first night went well retiredjg. Nice thing about adding your own toppers is they're easy to swap out if you turn out not to like them. Not so easy with a pillowtop.

Right now I'm going to keep researching. My sleep doctor wants me to do an in-home sleep test in a couple weeks that should be enlightening. At least it should tell me how badly I toss and turn (and if I stop breathing at home since I didn't sleep well enough during the sleep center test to eliminate sleep apnea). I'll look into natural latex and wool, although the only eco-friendly product I've found locally is the eco-line of one of the "S" brands. But I have yet to investigate the local mattress factory to see what they offer, mostly because they're closed by the time I get off work.
Again, beware terms like "eco friendly" - it may be a veneer. Last I heard the major brands used synthetic foam in their latex mattresses - maybe even mostly synthetic, with a layer of organic latex. I assume that means means flame retardant chemicals as well since the synthetic foam is the flammable stuff. Make sure you pin down the details if you are considering this route.

IaAl

mattress

Post by IaAl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Only one word....TEMPURPEDIC.....

I would have gone back to where I purchased the faulty mattress and complained....we had one before our Tempurpedic that developed a sag and it was replaced 100%....

I can't tell you how much more comfortable our Tempurpedic mattress is...we wake up without any aches from a conventional spring mattress. Do yourself a big favor and give one a try...And no, I don't work for or sell the Tempurpedic, I just enjoy it.

epilnk

Re: mattress

Post by epilnk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:30 pm

IaAl wrote:Only one word....TEMPURPEDIC.....

I would have gone back to where I purchased the faulty mattress and complained....we had one before our Tempurpedic that developed a sag and it was replaced 100%....

I can't tell you how much more comfortable our Tempurpedic mattress is...we wake up without any aches from a conventional spring mattress. Do yourself a big favor and give one a try...And no, I don't work for or sell the Tempurpedic, I just enjoy it.
Tempurpedic, like latex, isn't for everyone. For those who love them they are clearly worth their weight in gold. They are probably the best mattress for many common types of aches and pains. But those who hate them, really really hate them. I'd rather sleep on the floor, which to me is more comfortable. It's also notorious for "sleeping hot". And it's not a good option for people trying to avoid offgassing chemicals.