Job Hunting Ideas (beyond the obvious)?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jazzykat

Job Hunting Ideas (beyond the obvious)?

Post by jazzykat » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:41 am

Hi all,

I have a contract until May 2012. The obvious suggestion would be to renew my contract. However, that may not be possible due to budget/policy changes.

I work in a special niche of the IT field and currently do Systems Analysis/Prototyping. I have done Project Management and software development. I am only 31 but I have a broad experience base in my niche industry which is about the only thing that is contiguous among all my experiences.

Besides LinkedIn, networking, Dice, and Monster I was wondering if any of you especially the very successful job hunters have any methods, ideas or techniques that you are willing to share.

Thanks!

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:09 pm

I've used a recruiting firm in the past to pair me with jobs I'd otherwise not find.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Get a junior membership in the best country club in your region.

honkeoki

Post by honkeoki » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:52 pm

I recommend identifying specific companies/professionals in your niche and cyber-stalking them. Read their blogs, follow them on Twitter, comment on their posts. Try to build a relationship electronically.

As an employer, I've used employment firms extensively and I've had mixed experiences. I'm ambivalent on this point.

Are there any upcoming conferences you can attend? Any events at all that might attract professionals in your field? If they're not local, can you travel to attend?

It's also a good time to reach out to contacts you've made at previous firms and ask about opportunities they know about.

Good luck to you!
Be smug when others are fearful; be fearful when others are smug.

Topic Author
jazzykat

Post by jazzykat » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:01 pm

These are some really good tips. I actually have a Prince2 Practitioner certification, so I knocked off one thin on the list.

I noticed that one of you mentioned a plan for being out of work. Given my situation I am building up a larger emergency fund than stable employment situations demand. The prospect of being unemployed scared me enough that I am working on my next gig 9 months out.

Thanks for all the help!

rwwoods

Post by rwwoods » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Read "What Color Is Your Parachute."
"I'm not so much concerned about the return on my money as the return of my money" - Will Rogers

KCJayhawker

Post by KCJayhawker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:28 pm

natureexplorer wrote:Get a junior membership in the best country club in your region.
Yeah, that's cheap...even jr. memberships can cost THOUSANDS.

Ziggy75

Post by Ziggy75 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:46 am

Be willing to do contracting type work or part time work. It's good experience for the resume and a good way to get into the door. Working with a few job recruiters can help.

Tell the whole family, friends, and former co-workers/bosses that you are looking and would appreciate it if they kept their eyes open.

arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:07 am

Use your network you've developed... you have been working on that right :D

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:41 am

I would do two things:

1.) Send out an email to EVERYBODY I know in the field (past coworkers, friends, family, etc) letting them know I'm looking for work. You never know who can help you get your foot in the door. This works surprisingly often.
2.) Contact a recruiter.

pannkake

Post by pannkake » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:55 am

Identify companies that you want to work for and contact them directly. Almost everyone at the place I work (including me) called looking for work and happened to call right when there was a need. Everybody else here was referred by a friend or colleague. I do work at a small company, by the way.

flossy21

I'm a recruiter.

Post by flossy21 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:57 am

I'm a recruiter and I work for an MRI affiliate. I don't do anything related to IT so I can't help but here's what I would do if I were you.

I would go to www.mrinetwork.com and on the left hand side of the page you will see a link to "find a recruiter". That will take you two a web page which will let you input some search criteria to help you find the bio and contact info for an MRI network recruiter.

I would not focus so much on geography with the recruiter search but instead look for people who specialize in placing people that do what you do.

Once you find 5 or 6 recruiters that seem to fit the bill you should send them each an email with an attached resume (don't bother with a cover letter). In the email body tell them...

1.) what you are looking to do (include possible titles or companies that you would have interest in)
2.) what geography you are willing to look at
3.) what salary requirements you have

Also, be sure to specifically ask them not to share your resume outside of their office without your explicit permission. Most recruiters won't do this but some have been known to so make the request right up front.

Give it a couple of days and then follow up with a phone call to each recruiter to inquire if they received the resume and if they have questions.

Now sit back and wait. If you are in a field that is in demand you will get calls from these recruiters to describe new roles to you.

One last piece of advice -- The MRI recruiters should never ask you to pay them anything as we are paid 100% by the client for our services. If a recruiter asks you to pay then you should probably pass. I don't know of any recruiters out there who use a candidate paid model.

Good luck with your search!

partisan

Post by partisan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:13 pm

This is the best way I've found to get a job, but most people will completely ignore this advice because it's too hard and uncomfortable.

Call up or email people in the industry and at places you want to work and set up informational interviews. Sit down with them for 30m and ask their advice on how to get a job similar to theirs, their experience, any places they would recommend looking etc. People LOVE to talk about themselves, and even if there are no jobs at a particular company they will usually give you names of people to talk to.

Outside of that talk to people in your network and see what's out there.

I've used both methods above, I've never had a job I found on a website or in the paper. All of my jobs weren't advertised until I talked to the right people about it.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Select 10 of your top desirable companies you want to work for.
Set up daily e-mail alerts so that you will be notified for new job postings.
Tailor EACH resume according to the role.
Sit back and wait for a call.

This method beats having one general resume that you blast to every opening you think there is a warm body on the other end. HR will see right through you.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

therub

Post by therub » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:07 pm

KCJayhawker wrote:
natureexplorer wrote:Get a junior membership in the best country club in your region.
I looked up our local best country club for fun..

42k cash up front, several thousand per year, plus usage fees and food minimums.

Tempting!

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:24 pm

therub wrote:
KCJayhawker wrote:
I looked up our local best country club for fun..

42k cash up front, several thousand per year, plus usage fees and food minimums.

Tempting!
Anything below $100k is likely not worth it. And avoid commercial ones.

Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:05 pm

I would suggest cragslist to look for local jobs. I have found that many companies list their IT/software jobs there including consulting positions.

MONTYKEATING

Post by MONTYKEATING » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am

Craigs list is a good option for local jobs. Give it a try!

Ben24

Post by Ben24 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:11 pm

MONTYKEATING wrote:Craigs list is a good option for local jobs. Give it a try!
I think people generally overlook craigslist. There are lot of job offering on there though. Worst case scenario you could find a short-term job on there.

jml39

Post by jml39 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:45 am

Try realmatchnetwork.com. Put in your qualifications and see what you get. It's free! Lots of newspapers use it to power their Help Wanted sections.

WatchinU

Post by WatchinU » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:16 pm

If you are experienced with specific technology and/or methodologies then focus on identifying companies that participate in user groups. The goal is to identify the companies that would most likely have a need for your experience and where you can add value. Develop a relationship with some of the vendor account managers or pre-sales. If they know about you and they are selling their next client then they may see a fit for you and can refer you to their client who may need to staff up with that specific expertise. Attending local user group meetings can be a good professional networking opportunity. Sometimes folks will announce job leads and those looking for work can give a 1-2 min commercial.

When you are looking for your next gig, how focused is your resume? You mentioned 3-4 things you could do, however do you have separate resume for a project manager role? business analyst role? software development? sometimes having focused resumes on the roles will enable the recruiters of finding you.

ask yourself, who is the hiring manager? the goal is to identify a list of companies and hiring managers that are most likely to benefit from your skills and experience (hopefully with a cultural fit). Then you can do some targeted networking.

bonghead

Post by bonghead » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:29 am

It's not effective to just use any recruiter. You need to find out who the prime contractor is for the client you want to work for.

Approaching big clients directly will only get your resume on a pile to be ignored. The trick is finding out who the prime contractor is -- which follows from being well networked.

wilked

Post by wilked » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:03 am

www.indeed.com is a nice little site

Something like 80% of jobs are filled via networking, so 80% of your effort should be in networking. Get creative. You need to be doing something different than your peers to stand out. Brainstorm alone and focused for 30 mins or so on how to meet / network with influential people in your industry

V572625694

Post by V572625694 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:58 pm

If there's a local chapter of a professional society for your type of work, joining and attending their meetings is a good way to get yourself in front of other companies.

kopid03

Post by kopid03 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Indeed is a great site, and the forums have great discussions about jobs.

rokeefe

Post by rokeefe » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Letslunch.com is a nice spot to get interviews

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:06 pm

I agree with Bonghead.

Many companies now use prescreened "Preferred Vendors" for everything from hiring employees to hiring temps. If your resume if not from the "Preferred" company, the hiring manager will ignore it because of internal corporate policy. So, if you can get the inside information for a few companies on your targeted list, your efforts will be more worthwhile.