New mattress...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tepper

New mattress...

Post by tepper » Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 pm

in the market for a new queen mattress. the old one, which was low end at the time of purchase, is 13+ years old.

wondering if any bogleheads have had a good purchasing experience with a new mattress and where you went to get bang for your buck. I'm inclined to pay a visit to Costco.

BTW, what's reasonable to spend on a new (queen) mattress anyway?

if anyone is particularly pleased with a recent purchase, please post up. Thanks!!

lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:26 pm

If you'd consider an air mattress, I'd recommend Air Beds Unlimited (ABU). I used Select Comfort previously, but much prefer ABU - better engineered, and better customer service.

However, if air mattresses aren't your thing, disregard the above.

norookie

Post by norookie » Mon May 23, 2011 5:03 pm

:D Try a site search. Not snarky, just this connection is a PIA IPad.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

tepper

Post by tepper » Mon May 23, 2011 5:10 pm

lawman3966 wrote:If you'd consider an air mattress, I'd recommend Air Beds Unlimited (ABU). I used Select Comfort previously, but much prefer ABU - better engineered, and better customer service.

However, if air mattresses aren't your thing, disregard the above.
interesting thought, thanks, but I think I'll stick to the traditional. It shocks me how expensive beds have become.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Mon May 23, 2011 6:20 pm

I bought a Simmons Beautyrest plush back in December. I still love it. $799.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Mon May 23, 2011 6:20 pm

If you are looking for a high quality mattress you have to avoid the "S brands" (Sealy Serta Simmons Sterns&Foster) that dominate the market. They all offer high priced mattresses, but no high quality ones.

If quality isn't critical, the best advice I've seen for an innerspring mattress is to buy a mattress of decent construction (gauge and coil count) with the support you want and as little padding as possible. Then buy a mattress topper in the material of your choosing to add the softness you want. The weak link is always the low quality polyurathane foam used in nearly all mattresses these days. PU feels great when you first lie down so it is excellent for selling the mattress in the store, but it doesn't hold up so not a good choice if you want to own the bed for more than 6 months. :shock: If you buy a separate PU topper you can get the same sensation but inexpensively replace the topper after it fails; alternatively you could choose a more durable material for the comfort layer - latex, memory foam, wool, feather, I think there's even a higher grade of PU available.

jeffyscott

Re: New mattress...

Post by jeffyscott » Mon May 23, 2011 6:34 pm

tepper wrote:BTW, what's reasonable to spend on a new (queen) mattress anyway?
Well, there is a huge range. We bought a new one about 9 months ago. We had a King Koil mattress that was about as old as yours and had paid about $500 for it back then.

I initially figured on spending about $1000 on a replacement, but we ended up spending about $2700 to get an all Latex foam mattress in Cal. King size. (and we spent even more because our old bed was queen, so we also bought a new platform bed with storage drawers underneath.)

I think our mattress in queen would have been $2300. There is a local store that sells their own brand of budget memory foam mattresses and I think the Queens start around $500. My kid bought one of those and I imagine it is also comfortable. So I would give a range of $500 to $2300, I guess.

While it was a lot to spend on a new bed, we are very happy with the latex foam.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon May 23, 2011 6:42 pm

tepper, if you are a comparison shopper, plan to be frustrated. It is almost impossible to compare prices because few stores have the exact same mattress. It is not like an appliance where you just get a model number and shop several stores for the best price. Probably isn't going to happen. In fact, the longer you shop, the more confusing the whole thing becomes.

Do use a store with a 30 day return policy. Wish I had, but I wanted to support a local mom and pop store. I would have returned it after 2 or 3 weeks if I could have.

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Mon May 23, 2011 6:51 pm

We used Costco.com a few months ago, could not be any happier. Great mattress with the peace of mind that Costco has such a great return policy.
Last edited by dkdoy on Tue May 24, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

xplorer

Post by xplorer » Mon May 23, 2011 6:59 pm

tepper, we bought a Sealy pillow top queen mattress set from Macy's department store in 2008. It was on sale and Macy's happened to have the best price we could find in our area. About 2 months ago we called Macy's to report that the mattress had very noticeable and uncomfortable depressions where we usually lay. Within two days they had a representative on scene and within a couple days Macy delivered a brand new mattress at no charge and hauled away the bad one. When I called to thank the original rep she said they would stand behind the mattress for 10 years (the original warranty) and replace it as many times as necessary to keep us satisfied.

My story has two morals. I won't buy another Sealy and you may want to give Macy's a look as they do, apparently, stand behind products they sell.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Mon May 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon May 23, 2011 7:23 pm

If you live in the east, we have had great luck with The Original Mattress Factory. Quality mattresses at good prices.

We also added a synthetic down comforter from Sam's Club called "The Hotel Bed" which makes for a pleasant sleeping experience.

tepper

Post by tepper » Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Super helpful comments, gang. I was completely in the dark on this one. All your comments have been valuable.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Tue May 24, 2011 12:27 am

epilnk wrote: If quality isn't critical, the best advice I've seen for an innerspring mattress is to buy a mattress of decent construction (gauge and coil count) with the support you want and as little padding as possible. Then buy a mattress topper in the material of your choosing to add the softness you want. The weak link is always the low quality polyurathane foam
I should have pointed out the major brands usually offer each mattress with a different amounts of padding. So if you like the "Shrewsbury ultra plush pillowtop" in the store, buy "Shrewsbury firm". Even the firm will have some low grade foam that will compress as you use the mattress, but with a good topper you shouldn't notice it much.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue May 24, 2011 8:40 am

A really nice pillowtop turned out to be the problem for me. It felt very nice in the store and still feels great, but within a few weeks it had permanent dints in it. Skip the pillowtop all together or keep it very minimal.

jives

Post by jives » Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 am

Believe it or not, my wife ordered a Serta mattress from Shop NBC because it was a really good price. We never even tried it out, but it is by far the most comfortable mattress we've ever owned. We had 60 days to send it back if we didn't like it. They also delivered it, set it up, and took the old one away.

greensky

Post by greensky » Tue May 24, 2011 10:36 am

epilnk wrote:Then buy a mattress topper in the material of your choosing to add the softness you want.
epilnk, what sort of topper did you end up getting? Costco had one I thought about getting, but when I read the reviews it had terrible off-gassing so I ended up not getting one, but I'd really like to get one still.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 am

I bought one of these in January: King Size Sealy Posturpedic Cason Bay Premier Firm Euro Pillowtop. I think I paid around $1100 with mattress, box springs, and delivery.

It's an "ok" mattress. I wish I had gotten Firm...this one has a little too much cushion. It wasn't apparent until sleeping on it for a month or so.

Also, with a king there are two box springs. There is now a small ridge in the middle of the mattress which is created from the two box spring edeges meeting down the centerline of the bed. I think I'm going to cut some large sheets of 3/4" OSB and stick between the box and the mattress...that should help it firm up.

Moral of the story: I'd rather buy a car than a mattress.

tepper

Post by tepper » Tue May 24, 2011 11:01 am

TxAg wrote:I bought one of these in January: King Size Sealy Posturpedic Cason Bay Premier Firm Euro Pillowtop. I think I paid around $1100 with mattress, box springs, and delivery.

It's an "ok" mattress. I wish I had gotten Firm...this one has a little too much cushion. It wasn't apparent until sleeping on it for a month or so.

Also, with a king there are two box springs. There is now a small ridge in the middle of the mattress which is created from the two box spring edeges meeting down the centerline of the bed. I think I'm going to cut some large sheets of 3/4" OSB and stick between the box and the mattress...that should help it firm up.

Moral of the story: I'd rather buy a car than a mattress.
isn't that the truth. cars are easy compared to this.... good info.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue May 24, 2011 5:34 pm

retiredjg wrote:A really nice pillowtop turned out to be the problem for me. It felt very nice in the store and still feels great, but within a few weeks it had permanent dints in it. Skip the pillowtop all together or keep it very minimal.
If it still feels great what's the problem?

All spring mattresses are going to get body impressions in them. Think of a couch, too. It can still be comfortable. I think it's actually more comfortable when my body impression is in them. I call it being broken in! :)

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue May 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Got two mattresses in the past 3 years. One for ourselves right before our wedding and one for our 2 year old. The one we got ourselves is a Simmons. It's by far the best thing we have bought going into our marriage. I've slept on pass down mattresses, futon all my life and for the life of me had pack aches waking up. Now we both love our mattress. Best thing to do is to sleep around at different stores. Spend as much time as possible to lay there and get a good feel about it. Try to find a place that has full satisfaction guarantee so you can return it or switch it for another one if not satisfied. We got our eastern king for about $750 delivered from a store that was closing its doors.

I personally do not like the pillow top. The one we have has a moderate pillow top and can't imagine putting one of those after market pillow top on top of our mattress.

My son's mattress is a Sealy we got from Costco. I sometimes sneak a nap in there he he.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue May 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
retiredjg wrote:A really nice pillowtop turned out to be the problem for me. It felt very nice in the store and still feels great, but within a few weeks it had permanent dints in it. Skip the pillowtop all together or keep it very minimal.
If it still feels great what's the problem?

All spring mattresses are going to get body impressions in them.
It feels good to get into cause it's all cushy and plush. But sleeping in a divot is not all that comfortable. I'd have to disagree that all spring mattresses get a body impression - at least not of this magnitude.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Tue May 24, 2011 6:37 pm

greensky wrote:
epilnk wrote:Then buy a mattress topper in the material of your choosing to add the softness you want.
epilnk, what sort of topper did you end up getting? Costco had one I thought about getting, but when I read the reviews it had terrible off-gassing so I ended up not getting one, but I'd really like to get one still.
We didn't go this route, though we would have if we'd chosen an innerspring mattress. A decent set of springs should easily last 20 years or more. It's the padding that fails. Apparently around 10 years ago all the major manufacturers switched to the lower grade foam that feels so good in the showroom and ensures higher sales and higher turnover. Older mattresses last much longer.

I have chronic back pain so we switched to 100% latex. Best decision ever.

indexer

Post by indexer » Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm

We purchased a latex mattress online from Costco about a year back. We absolutely love it...It included free shipping and set up.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed May 25, 2011 10:54 am

I'll possibly take some heat for this recommendation, as it is not frugal, but we bought a Duxiana mattress around 16 years ago. Beyond expensive and bordering on insane, but it makes for a great night's sleep and is still in pretty good condition.

Models have changed in the meantime, but I believe they're still producing a great product.

FWIW, I believe that this mattress and doing squats in the gym are the reason that I no longer have back pain. Your mileage may vary.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 am

I'll possibly take some heat for this recommendation, as it is not frugal, but we bought a Duxiana mattress around 16 years ago. Beyond expensive and bordering on insane, but it makes for a great night's sleep and is still in pretty good condition.

Models have changed in the meantime, but I believe they're still producing a great product.

FWIW, I believe that this mattress and doing squats in the gym are the reason that I no longer have back pain. Your mileage may vary.

tepper

Post by tepper » Wed May 25, 2011 11:21 am

no heat - we're all entitled to our small extravagances. even bogleheads. we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed, what's a few extra hundred bucks?

(err, edit, just saw the prices. more than a few extra hundred bucks on Duxiana... wow.)

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed May 25, 2011 12:44 pm

tepper wrote:no heat - we're all entitled to our small extravagances. even bogleheads. we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed, what's a few extra hundred bucks?

(err, edit, just saw the prices. more than a few extra hundred bucks on Duxiana... wow.)
Maybe if I got to spend 1/3 of my life in bed, I wouldn't need as good a mattress :) I do try to get as much sleep as possible, but with kids playing hockey, etc., 8 hours doesn't happen often.

It must mean something though that my wife and I, when we're on a vacation that we're really enjoying, staying at nice places, inevitably say to each other during the second week: "I'm looking forward to our bed at home."

Extravagant items usually advertise with a reference to "investment" (e.g., Rolex and other expensive watches), and it is abject nonsense. However, I think of this bed as an investment that has given us 16 years of great sleep. Having said that, if our house weren't paid off, if we didn't have significant savings, if our kids' college weren't (mostly) saved for, I would not have bought it.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed May 25, 2011 12:45 pm

tepper wrote:no heat - we're all entitled to our small extravagances. even bogleheads. we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed, what's a few extra hundred bucks?

Maybe if I got to spend 1/3 of my life in bed, I wouldn't need as good a mattress :) I do try to get as much sleep as possible, but with kids playing hockey, etc., 8 hours doesn't happen often.

It must mean something though that my wife and I, when we're on a vacation that we're really enjoying, staying at nice places, inevitably say to each other during the second week: "I'm looking forward to our bed at home."

Extravagant items usually advertise with a reference to "investment" (e.g., Rolex and other expensive watches), and it is abject nonsense. However, I think of this bed as an investment that has given us 16 years of great sleep. Having said that, if our house weren't paid off, if we didn't have significant savings, if our kids' college weren't (mostly) saved for, I would not have bought it.

infecto

Post by infecto » Thu May 26, 2011 12:19 am

I am always in the minority but I choose to purchase my bedding material from select clean latex suppliers that also sell cotton toppers.

The dirty secret with the modern mattress is federal regulations require them to douse the materials in flame retardants (thats why they smell, along with other products). So for the past 15+years everyone was using the same type of chemicals which were used in a broad spectrum of consumer goods. Fast forward to a few years ago and research shows that these chemicals can be found in everyone. The industry and regulation have now switched to a supposed safer compound. Practically the only way to buy a bed with out fire retardants is by having a doctors prescription.

I promise I am not that crazy hippie guy that buys everything organic but this is just one thing I have a strong belief in. If I am going to be putting my face against a material for years, I really dont want to continuously inhale the off-gassed chemical compounds. I think its insane we need regulation to make beds fire retardant.

mr_bunny

Post by mr_bunny » Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 am

Here's my mattress history:

1. A used mattress I bought from a friend at college for $50. After a while you could feel most of the springs, and could only comfortably sleep on certain parts of it.

2. I got tired of that, and wanted "the best bang for my buck", so I went to costco. I got a decent innerspring mattress for a good price. I had to transport the new one and dispose of the old one, but otherwise it was stress-free. I was happy to avoid the deliberately frustrating comparison shopping I'd get at a major mattress retailer, and slept well knowing that I paid a fair price.

3. My SO's a light sleeper, and the spring noise and transmitted motion through the innerspring mattress would disturb her sleep. So we opened our pocketbook and took a trip to a natural latex bedding store. We wound up with this:

It's amazing. There's no spring noise and the latex really isolates movement - I can get out of bed without disturbing her and vice-versa. It's really improved our ability to get restful sleep which is totally worth the rather significant cost.

Having the mattress in components is awesome, since we can wash the mattress pad and fluff up the wool topper as we need. The latex layer seems incredibly durable; sleeping on it seems to have no lasting effect. Over time we expect to replace the relatively inexpensive wool and cotton layers, keeping the latex layer.

In short, go to costco if you want a good price; get a fancy-pants latex mattress if you want to splurge.
- Chris

ebeard

Sleep Innovations

Post by ebeard » Thu May 26, 2011 6:19 am

The memory foam mattresses at Costco are great. However, you can save money by buying the same mattress on-line from Amazon. They are both made by Sleep Innovations. I bought one several months ago and my wife and I love it. It's heavy but if you are a Amazon Prime member is it ships for free and you pay no tax.

Also consult the site: sleeplikethedead . com for reviews on foam mattresses.

Birdie Num Nums

Post by Birdie Num Nums » Fri May 27, 2011 12:21 pm

mr_bunny wrote:Here's my mattress history:

1. A used mattress I bought from a friend at college for $50. After a while you could feel most of the springs, and could only comfortably sleep on certain parts of it.

2. I got tired of that, and wanted "the best bang for my buck", so I went to costco. I got a decent innerspring mattress for a good price. I had to transport the new one and dispose of the old one, but otherwise it was stress-free. I was happy to avoid the deliberately frustrating comparison shopping I'd get at a major mattress retailer, and slept well knowing that I paid a fair price.

3. My SO's a light sleeper, and the spring noise and transmitted motion through the innerspring mattress would disturb her sleep. So we opened our pocketbook and took a trip to a natural latex bedding store. We wound up with this:

It's amazing. There's no spring noise and the latex really isolates movement - I can get out of bed without disturbing her and vice-versa. It's really improved our ability to get restful sleep which is totally worth the rather significant cost.

Having the mattress in components is awesome, since we can wash the mattress pad and fluff up the wool topper as we need. The latex layer seems incredibly durable; sleeping on it seems to have no lasting effect. Over time we expect to replace the relatively inexpensive wool and cotton layers, keeping the latex layer.

In short, go to costco if you want a good price; get a fancy-pants latex mattress if you want to splurge.
1) I guess they make sheets that will fit that thickness. Are the sheets expensive? Or do "regular" size sheets fit?
2) Don't those three components shift and get misaligned?
3) Another advantage to Costco shopping for some of us is the Executive Membership annual rebate, so when deciding whether to buy an item of similar nature I usually choose Costco.

mr_bunny

Post by mr_bunny » Sat May 28, 2011 1:39 am

Birdie Num Nums wrote: 1) I guess they make sheets that will fit that thickness. Are the sheets expensive? Or do "regular" size sheets fit?
2) Don't those three components shift and get misaligned?
3) Another advantage to Costco shopping for some of us is the Executive Membership annual rebate, so when deciding whether to buy an item of similar nature I usually choose Costco.
1. Regular sheets fit. It's not as fluffy as shown in the picture once you lay on it.

2. We don't have exactly what's in the picture above. Our wool topper has elastic bands at the corners which fasten it to the mattress, like so:

Our cotton topper wraps around the mattress like a fitted sheet. It all stays pretty snug.
- Chris

arsenebould

Re: New mattress...

Post by arsenebould » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:59 pm

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

praxis

Re:

Post by praxis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:33 pm

epilnk wrote:If you are looking for a high quality mattress you have to avoid the "S brands" (Sealy Serta Simmons Sterns&Foster) that dominate the market. They all offer high priced mattresses, but no high quality ones.

If quality isn't critical, the best advice I've seen for an innerspring mattress is to buy a mattress of decent construction (gauge and coil count) with the support you want and as little padding as possible. Then buy a mattress topper in the material of your choosing to add the softness you want. The weak link is always the low quality polyurathane foam used in nearly all mattresses these days. PU feels great when you first lie down so it is excellent for selling the mattress in the store, but it doesn't hold up so not a good choice if you want to own the bed for more than 6 months. :shock: If you buy a separate PU topper you can get the same sensation but inexpensively replace the topper after it fails; alternatively you could choose a more durable material for the comfort layer - latex, memory foam, wool, feather, I think there's even a higher grade of PU available.
+1

My wife & I sleep on a 25 year old Beautyrest Supreme Queen. Six years ago I bought a 4" memory foam topper from Walmart and it works great on top of our mattress.