Patio furniture cushions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
epilnk

Patio furniture cushions

Post by epilnk » Sat May 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Our sunny patio and garden is the focal point of our home, whose big windows open onto it on two sides. Our patio furniture isn't high end but it's sturdy and nice enough to look at. Except for the chair cushions, which this year transitioned from "faded" to "kind of gross". The chairs sit in the direct sun and are in heavy constant use (with kids) from March-April thru November.

Since outdoor cushions are pricy, I'd like to get something that would continue to look decent for as long as possible. Does anyone here know if Sunbrella (or another higher price fabric) is worth the premium? Or have suggestions for a frugal source for replacement cushions?

gailcox

Post by gailcox » Sat May 07, 2011 2:04 pm

I got mine from Garden Ridge this year. When you get them home, do not cut off the tags until you are certain you are keeping them. Garden Ridge will not take anything back (even if it is defective) if the original tags aren't on the item. I found out the hard way this week with sofa cushions. Those were the best priced ones I found.

leeks

Post by leeks » Sun May 08, 2011 2:05 pm

for replacement cushions try,
http://www.homedecorators.com/
http://www.overstock.com/

if you want to recover them yourself, sunbrella fabrics are about $20 per yard at
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catal ... ?TypId=817

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm

I met Paddy O'Furniture on my recent trip to Ireland. I agree with the OP...he seemed sturdy, and nice enough to look at.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Mon May 09, 2011 10:50 pm

LL Bean Sunbrella outdoor cushions last for years and aren't grossly expensive.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:56 am

I put my cusions away when no one is using them. Get a little "shed" type thing.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue May 10, 2011 12:10 pm

protagonist wrote:I met Paddy O'Furniture on my recent trip to Ireland. I agree with the OP...he seemed sturdy, and nice enough to look at.
I think that joke works better out loud, but it's a classic, regardless.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

stratton

Post by stratton » Wed May 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Christine_NM wrote:LL Bean Sunbrella outdoor cushions last for years and aren't grossly expensive.
Sunbrella is the brand name of a fabric and can be bought at fabric stores. It doesn't fade in the sun.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Wed May 11, 2011 2:24 pm

stratton wrote:
Christine_NM wrote:LL Bean Sunbrella outdoor cushions last for years and aren't grossly expensive.
Sunbrella is the brand name of a fabric and can be bought at fabric stores. It doesn't fade in the sun.

Paul
LL Bean makes the cushions for you out of Sunbrella fabric:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66575?feat=132-GN1

Mine are out on the patio, patiently waiting for the wind to stop blowing so I can use them.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:46 pm

I like Sunbrella fabric as well. Our cushions and umbrella are Sunbrella and from Costco.

MidnightX

Re: Patio furniture cushions

Post by MidnightX » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Here is a link to outdoor cushions that can be created from your own specs. I am not sure how their prices compare to others, but you can "build your own" and then view the price. http://www.customcushions.net/

"Custom Cushions sells custom outdoor cushions made with Sunbrella fabrics. Revitalize your furniture with bright new Sunbrella outdoor furniture cushions and indoor cushions! Choose from our wide range of styles for chair cushions, chaise lounge cushions, seat cushions, bench pads, ottoman cushions and throw pillows or create your own custom shaped cushions using our all new Cushion Designer customization system. Simply follow the steps to your right and you'll be on your way."