Minnesota Mtg | 6-November | pictures attached!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
jeff mc

Minnesota Mtg | 6-November | pictures attached!

Post by jeff mc » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:16 am

just sent below email out to the MN mailing list... if you're reading this and interested in getting on that mailing list, just reply back here, PM me, or email me at MNbogleheads@gmail.com
hello, folks:

the roseville library isn't available on 6-november, and they charge $50/hour. however, paul s was able to secure an excellent meeting venue, centrally located (and free!): we'll be meeting at como park in saint paul.... ...

...meeting room: when coming into the building, immediately go to the elevator, and go down to basement. out of the elevator, go straight through the hallway and look for boglehead signs.

meeting time: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm, saturday, november-6

agenda: short discussion on Fidelity's 'total view' tool. then, a panel discussion. then, break out sessions.

please let me know if you plan on attending. also, please send any topics. i'll send out a more formal agenda as it gets created.

jeff mc
Last edited by jeff mc on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:31 am

agenda finalized... see everyone tomorrow...
folks:

see attached agenda for 10:00 AM saturday. note that i've again selected several "volunteers" to moderate the table discussions. as a table moderator, you don't necessarily need to be the expert on the topic, but you should drive the discussion, make sure it rolls smoothly, and try to keep the table at least somewhat on topic.

mods: barry w, anna k, bob j, john s, matt b, paul s, sturdy phil, tall phil, ken

everyone: to make the best use of your time, you should peruse the agenda beforehand, and determine what tables you'll want to sit at for the three breakout sessions. possibly scare up some questions or talking points to discuss with your table about the topics that interest you.

also, think about questions for our guest speaker, matt, the CPA, either after his talk or at his table breakout sessions.

Topic Author
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:16 pm

did some data mining of MN boglehead members... 2 nice bumps of membership. what will be the third bump?

and then the pics... first, i was lonely. then, mini-jack joined me, and i was better. then, 37 other MN bogleheads joined me, and i was in nerdvana.

the room was somewhat cramped, and loud. will look into getting 2 rooms at the pavilion next time.

special thanks to matt bruun, cpa (www.bhbadvisors.com) for giving the keynote talk on taxes, changes in 2010 and 2011, and then sticking around to moderate 3 breakout sessions. very timely. an exciting time to be a boglehead, w/ all of the tax implications and changes afoot. BHB advisors does a nice job of posting blog entries about late-breaking tax changes. check out the website/forum that matt keeps updated. if i get his PDF of his handouts, i'll send those along, too.

next meeting 5-feb-11... maybe in bloomington?

TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Last picture, bottom left. I have that same wooden "train" whistle. I've had that thing for almost 20 years. :lol: :lol:

Topic Author
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:28 pm

TJAJ9 wrote:Last picture, bottom left. I have that same wooden "train" whistle. I've had that thing for almost 20 years. :lol: :lol:
well, good to know i have at least 15 good years left w/ it. it works well to get all those bogleheads to know it's time to move on to next breakout table without being too annoying / loud like coaches whistle. i always hate stopping such good, lively conversations, but someone's gotta do it.