100w lamp limit - brighter CFL?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:57 am

lmpmd wrote:These sites discuss the CRI which isn't light temperature but color rendition index - or how true color is rendered:
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/cri_explained.htm
http://www.myledlightingguide.com/Artic ... ticleID=13
Apparantly cfl bulbs can have a low cri and that makes the light less desirable and this is a separate concept (it's not color temperature).
Yes, this is an important point. It is related to the light source supplying illumination across the color spectrum and not just concentrated in single lines as is characteristic of fluorescent lighting.

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:53 am

jeffyscott wrote:
sommerfeld wrote:The spiral/twisted CFL's are just more fragile than conventional bulbs.
I don't think that is the case for this design:

Its funny, the package says: save $36.

I wonder if all the energy we are supposedly saving from an old standby (the light bulb)
Has been more than offset by all the newfangled rechargeable things we have.

(cell phones, digital cameras, laptops and so on)

Whenever my brother (who lives out of my state) visits,
I need to have several outlets clear so that he can keep all his
paraphernalia charged while he's visiting.

Thanks
SP-diceman

lmpmd

Post by lmpmd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:05 pm

SP-diceman wrote:
jeffyscott wrote:
sommerfeld wrote:The spiral/twisted CFL's are just more fragile than conventional bulbs.
I don't think that is the case for this design:

Its funny, the package says: save $36.

I wonder if all the energy we are supposedly saving from an old standby (the light bulb)
Has been more than offset by all the newfangled rechargeable things we have.

(cell phones, digital cameras, laptops and so on)

Whenever my brother (who lives out of my state) visits,
I need to have several outlets clear so that he can keep all his
paraphernalia charged while he's visiting.

Thanks
SP-diceman
You tell your brother to run out right now and buy a charging pad. One pad. One outlet. Lots of devices.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... 5f6f34083c

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Standby power for the US is around 440 kw per year based on this article with an average of 9% of your power used for standby :

http://www.unescap.org/esd/energy/publi ... -power.htm

Its for sure larger then swapping out some traditional light bulbs. But its not a fair comparison in any case since most people won't eliminate their toys so its still better to save power by using CFL's.

mainiac

Post by mainiac » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:03 pm

none of the CFLs look good in a fixture with an exposed bulb.
I found CFLs that look like regular bulbs (round globes) for the fixtures hanging over my kitchen table.

When we bought our first house, the electric company was selling CFLs for intro prices. I bought 6 of them. They ended up in the basement as they were big, gaudy things that didn't fit in most of my fixtures. 16 years later, when we sold the house, those bulbs were still working!

I have decorative narrow fixtures over the kitchen counter. I have a CFL in one fixture (don't like it - not bright enough) and regular decorative bulbs in the other two fixtures. In three years, the CFL is still going and I have to replace the other bulbs about every three months.

I have CFLs in about 90% of my lights and have not replaced any in the three years we have lived here.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:58 am

mainiac wrote:!

I have decorative narrow fixtures over the kitchen counter. I have a CFL in one fixture (don't like it - not bright enough) and regular decorative bulbs in the other two fixtures. In three years, the CFL is still going and I have to replace the other bulbs about every three months.

I have CFLs in about 90% of my lights and have not replaced any in the three years we have lived here.
The technology has definitely improved over time.

I would suggest replacing CFL with a brighter one. There should be no electrical safety problem.

11w is a 60w incandescent I believe.

I use 15w for 60w fittings (ie 100 watts equivalent). The downside is if you look straight at the light it is blinding. But generally happier with the greater illumination.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:59 am

German Expat wrote:Standby power for the US is around 440 kw per year based on this article with an average of 9% of your power used for standby :

http://www.unescap.org/esd/energy/publi ... -power.htm

Its for sure larger then swapping out some traditional light bulbs. But its not a fair comparison in any case since most people won't eliminate their toys so its still better to save power by using CFL's.
The new standards for standbye use far less power. c. 1 watt per. This requirement is spreading.