Is AAA Membership Worth it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
newkidontheblock

Is AAA Membership Worth it?

Post by newkidontheblock » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Our AAA membership is coming up for renewal.
We live in MN. I have 3 cars of varying age. Two of them are less than 5 years old and 1 is 10 year old. My insurance coverage does give me emergency road side service. We do travel multiple times a year and sometimes we get AAA discount. I have received discount when I bought my glasses due to AAA membership.

If my car breaks down and I get emergency road side service State Farm will reimburse me. Can this make my insurance rates go up?

Is it worth it to keep on pay $135 per for for AAA membership?

Thanks

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi,
I have had AAA membership for as long as I have been driving. I have Premier membership because I take long road trips and don't want to get stuck without help in a remote place. I have never had anything but excellent service when I needed it. I also have my auto and condo insurance with AAA.
Best Wishes, | Joe

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Probably not, but, I have been an Auto Club member for over 40 years. How's that for a mixed message. If you are inclined to frequently use their travel services including maps, travel books, etc. that can certainly be a factor in the value. As far as the roadside service, AAA seems to be the leader and are the most commonly one called. You don't have to pay them on the spot which is much more convenient than submitting a bill to your insurance company after the fact. Have you checked with your insurance company to see if you can drop the roadside service provision and save some money on your premium? I have kept AAA primarily for the benefit of my wife and daughters, but, frankly I don't like to change tires anymore and will call AAA even if I physically might be able to fix the problem by myself.
Bob

sscritic

Re: Is AAA Membership Worth it?

Post by sscritic » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:15 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:Our AAA membership is coming up for renewal.
We live in MN.

In Southern California, if "We" is a husband, wife, and one dependent driver, the fee for standard membership is $47 + $24 + $27 = $98. With two teenagers, the cost is $125 for the four of you. So who is "we" and what level of membership are you talking about? In SoCal, only the primary driver pays extra for the higher levels of membership, so AAA Plus is $76 + $24 + $27 for three and AAA Premier is $102 + $24 + $27 for three.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:17 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:Our AAA membership is coming up for renewal.
We live in MN. I have 3 cars of varying age. Two of them are less than 5 years old and 1 is 10 year old. My insurance coverage does give me emergency road side service. We do travel multiple times a year and sometimes we get AAA discount. I have received discount when I bought my glasses due to AAA membership.

If my car breaks down and I get emergency road side service State Farm will reimburse me. Can this make my insurance rates go up?

Thanks
You only pay $135 because you have Plus (at least.) You get almost everything other than 100mi tow for $50/yr or so.

You only get State Farm to pay for towing because you pay specifically for that coverage. That's kind of silly if you have AAA Plus. We used SF last year, I think for about $14/yr per car. This year we got a discount on AAA membership so we added that and dropped the State Farm, but we have only the 3mi nearest facility towing now. No, I don't think towing will make your rates go up.

Paul

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:06 pm

We have the regular membership, not the Plus. We've used the roadside assistance maybe half a dozen times, and their (free to members) maps and travel guides are nice.

There are probably other ways to get roadside assistance, especially in the cell phone era and credit card era. AAA provides... dare I say it... peace of mine of knowing who to call, and knowing that once you've made the call the responsibility is now off your back.

I'm a bear on cutting down recurring expenses and subscriptions and so forth, but the sixty or so bucks a year it costs isn't very much.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:25 pm

tibbitts wrote:No, I don't think towing will make your rates go up.
That's what I thought until after I started shopping around for a new insurance company. I was told that since we had a towing charge (about $50) once in the previous five years, our claims record was not without something "negative" and that one incidence prevented us from getting the best possible rate. I was surprised. It appears that insurance companies will use anything possible to give you a higher premium.

The AAA towing service, however, is not included in your insurance claims record.

norookie

Post by norookie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Alot of insurances offer the same*(AAA fills in sometimes or anyone who will accept the fees) at no extra cost, Liberty Mutual, Amica, So I dropped AAAs ever rising rates. You just investigate their limits. Liberty Mutual is 100 a tow 100 a flat change or any labor (jump, open a door, need gas). Pay it and submit your bills. I have. it works. -just sayin-
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

OAG

Post by OAG » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:36 pm

USAA Insurance Towing costs us $1 a month. No surcharges for towing. Also covers almost all of the usual AAA benefits in connection with a breakdown. Never saw the value in AAA membership (off topic but never seen the value in AARP membership either).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:21 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:Is it worth it to keep on pay $135 per for for AAA membership?

Thanks
I would switch to the standard AAA and keep it. Actually it depends on how much you travel. There are many places that give you a AAA discount. I usually save more than the cost of my membership with those discounts, but I just have standard AAA. I am also a USAA member and I considered just using that, but there are not that many USAA discounts for travel.

BearWolf

Curlyq

Post by Curlyq » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Last edited by Curlyq on Mon May 14, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:00 pm

If you travel a lot by car, there are some other AAA benefits. In addition to rating hotels, and getting hotel discounts, the guide books also rate restaurants. We have found that restaurant recommendations are important when we are in a new area. It is hard to put a monetary value on this, but we have rarely been disappointed with the AAA restaurant recommendations and ratings. We have also found some really nice places that we would not have found otherwise.

Jeff

nonnie

Post by nonnie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:12 pm

OAG wrote:USAA Insurance Towing costs us $1 a month. No surcharges for towing. Also covers almost all of the usual AAA benefits in connection with a breakdown. Never saw the value in AAA membership (off topic but never seen the value in AARP membership either).
Is the $1 month per car or per household? Off topic/on topic--I find that many places either give a 10% AAA or AARP discount--mostly hotels and it's pretty easy to make up the $15 or $20/year AARP fees. Nevertheless, my renewal bill has been sitting on my desk for a couple months now.

Nonnie

amarone

Post by amarone » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:28 pm

My membership has more than paid for itself in travel discounts and car servicing discounts (our mechanic gives a 10% discount on labor). The very first time I used AAA to find a hotel it found a hotel for 2 nights in Chicago that cost $250 less than I had been able to find (it was Chicago marathin weekend). And the hotel the AAA site came up with was the Chicago Hilton - way better than what I had found.

And we have used the towing service twice in 5 years, each time saving us at least half the yearly membership fee.

pitt76

Post by pitt76 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:36 pm

I consider AAA to be free. If you take advantage of the hotel discounts, admission discounts, free maps, free tour books ( which are great ), you always get your money back.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:54 pm

I think the value of AAA has gone down since the advent of GPS/navi, google maps, endless travel ratings sites, etc. When's the last time I used the TripBook to research a hotel in Boise (use Tripadvisor now)? When's the last time I used a TripBook to research a restaurant in Norfolk (use Yelp now)? When's the last time I used a Triptik (use Google maps, GPS, iPhones, etc now)?

Having said that, we still pay for AAA! $88 covers 2 drivers and is in my mind insurance against an unforeseen tow. The discounts do legitimately save some money. And every now and then a physical map comes in handy.

So there you have it. It's worth less than it used to be, but it's still worth the money I pay. Member for 20 years.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:20 am

newkidontheblock wrote:My insurance coverage does give me emergency road side service.
for everywhere you are likely to drive?

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:40 am

letsgobobby wrote:I think the value of AAA has gone down since the advent of GPS/navi, google maps, endless travel ratings sites, etc. When's the last time I used the TripBook to research a hotel in Boise (use Tripadvisor now)? When's the last time I used a TripBook to research a restaurant in Norfolk (use Yelp now)? When's the last time I used a Triptik (use Google maps, GPS, iPhones, etc now)?

Having said that, we still pay for AAA! $88 covers 2 drivers and is in my mind insurance against an unforeseen tow. The discounts do legitimately save some money. And every now and then a physical map comes in handy.

So there you have it. It's worth less than it used to be, but it's still worth the money I pay. Member for 20 years.
This pretty much sums up the way my wife and I feel. It is worth it for us; I have premier level for the possibility of a very long tow back to our favorite service facility (our cars are old now, sort of like us!). We still use the tour books frequently. We have been members for around 25 years.

Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

imagardener

Post by imagardener » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:58 am

AAA is well worth the price. We have the Plus membership with a car and conversion van.
Visiting friends a month ago we got a flat on the van on a late Sunday afternoon. Not familiar with the area it would have been impossible to get anyone other than AAA to respond to our need.

Also the maps are fantastic. We're planning a trip out west this summer and AAA has wonderful maps including (the non PC) "Indian Country" map which covers exactly the areas we're interested in.
Yes we have a GPS but a foldout map is a great planning tool.

And as others have said the 10% hotel discounts add up if you travel a lot. Of course the best hotel prices come with "Name Your Price" on priceline after researching winning bids on biddingfortravel.

AAA should really spend some bucks on their website however. Very clunky and it could be soooo much better for them and us. Tripadvisor has that down. AAA should emulate.

Judsen

Post by Judsen » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:02 am

I have never had AAA and have never needed it.
I buy reliable cars and drive them 10+ years. Been driving 58 years.
The very few wrecks I had I drove away from. (after police report of course)
Either I've saved a bunch and don't need AAA or I could be in for a rude awakening on the next trip.
Past experience is not predictive.
Peace of mind is expensive.
Be the change you want to see in the world

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:19 am

Curlyq wrote:I have AAA Plus membership because I have a small conversion van/RV and the regular membership will not cover RVs. I also have AAA in general because I'm a single woman and although I can and do change my own tires (although I'm getting quite a bit less enthusiastic about doing this), I've been in some situations where having AAA really made a difference. I find that AAA's service is outstanding. The towing service that I got with my car insurance a few years ago was lacking. I dropped it and keep AAA for peace of mind. To me, the money is peanuts compared to other possible outcomes. I consider the discounts one gets with the card as a bonus.
If you go by the discussions on the RV forums, AAA membership can't be counted on for RVs. As best as I can tell, the coverage depends upon the policy of the AAA where you need the service, not where you bought AAA. And policies are all over the map - totally unlike with cars. Some AAAs have special RV memberships, some don't, some cover some classes of RVs anyway, some don't, some cover towables, some don't.... on and on. But it seems like specialty RV coverage from other companies isn't a sure thing either.

Paul

O.Randy

Post by O.Randy » Tue May 25, 2010 5:12 am

banned spammer

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue May 25, 2010 5:27 am

newkidontheblock wrote:Is it worth it to keep on pay $135 per for for AAA membership?
Only if you think it is.

I/wife have been members since 1974 (36 years). Services rendered over that time certainly did not equal membership fees, but the few times we've used it on the road more than made up for it; e.g. cheap insurance.

However, I don't believe I could convince you either way. If you don't feel approximately $.40/day is worth it, then don't spend the money.

- Ron

magellan

Post by magellan » Tue May 25, 2010 7:35 am

We have a basic AAA membership just for DW and we generally get enough in travel discounts to cover the annual cost.

But I don't think of AAA as insurance. If that's all it was, I'd definitely self-insure. To me the real value of AAA is having a single phone number that DW can call if she needs road-side assistance and I'm not available.

Jim

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue May 25, 2010 9:35 am

AAA family wide has paid for itself many times over.

29palms

Keep it

Post by 29palms » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:40 am

I've had AAA membership for the last 11 years or so, and before that, for a few years, but I've had nothing but good to say about that. They've unlocked my car a few times, once, my key broke off in the ignition and they pulled it out, they've towed my car a few times. I also like to go to their offices and get free maps and travel booklets from them. I get my moeny's worth all the time. I don't use them for auto insurance. I use USAA.
I've used AAA for rental car discounts, they always seem to beat all my other benefits such as airline employee rates, or American Legion member card. I've used them for hotel discounts too. They are really the best around for that.
Think of AAA membership like a bill you must pay. You'll be glad to have them.

bearwolf

Re: Keep it

Post by bearwolf » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:17 am

29palms wrote:I've had AAA membership for the last 11 years or so, and before that, for a few years, but I've had nothing but good to say about that. They've unlocked my car a few times, once, my key broke off in the ignition and they pulled it out, they've towed my car a few times. I also like to go to their offices and get free maps and travel booklets from them. I get my moeny's worth all the time. I don't use them for auto insurance. I use USAA.
I've used AAA for rental car discounts, they always seem to beat all my other benefits such as airline employee rates, or American Legion member card. I've used them for hotel discounts too. They are really the best around for that.
Think of AAA membership like a bill you must pay. You'll be glad to have them.
Have you looked at USAA for car rental discounts? We usually get a better rate with them than AAA. I have both because the hotel discounts are better for AAA.

BearWolf

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:50 am

Two things I don't get cheap on:
1. Dental work
2. AAA membership.

Both can be costly after all if not done right in the first place:D
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 am

As others have said, the value of AAA has lessoned with the availability of other travel aids.

- Google maps and gps in place of AAA maps

- Trip advisor and Yelp are far far superior to their AAA guide books

Additionally, many times hotels don't offer a AAA discount, or they offer it to everyone.
me: "How much for a room"
them: "$80"
me: "I am a AAA member, how much of a discount do I receive"
them: "We already gave you the discount"

Because I really only need roadside assistance, I have switched to a cheaper competitor, Better World Club. http://betterworldclub.com/roadside_ass ... /index.cfm

I haven't used them in an emergency situation yet, so I can't really give them a grade at this point.

bpp

Post by bpp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:17 am

I have JAF (Japan Automobile Federation) membership for $40/year, which has a tie-up with AAA which lets me get AAA hotel discounts when visiting the US. I've never had to call a wrecker in Japan, but the AAA sister-club benefits have been quite valuable.

The magazine that comes with membership is good bathroom reading, too.

magellan

Post by magellan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:33 am

pointyhairedboss wrote:As others have said, the value of AAA has lessoned with the availability of other travel aids.

These are certainly better, but having the book in the car while you're driving can be handy. On a recent trip to Glacier and Yellowstone, we found a couple of great downtown lunch spots at non-chain restaurants on our driving days. These stops are tough to plan in advance and without the book in the car, we would have defaulted to one of the highway chains.
Additionally, many times hotels don't offer a AAA discount, or they offer it to everyone.
me: "How much for a room"
them: "$80"
me: "I am a AAA member, how much of a discount do I receive"
them: "We already gave you the discount"
I've had this happen a few times, but in my experience, this is the exception rather than the rule. We usually do a couple multi-week road trips each year and we definitely save at least the membership cost in AAA hotel discounts. Often AARP has similar discounts, but I'm not a member. I'm pretty aggressive with Internet price shopping and/or calling the hotel directly. It all depends on the property and the booking technique (eg, you can't beat priceline name-your-own-price, but it has its own issues). More often than not, the AAA price is $5 or $10 lower than the best rate.

Jim

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:00 am

I've had an AAA membership for 20 years, and I feel it's been worth every dollar. For example, here's a way that AAA paid me back five times over for one year's membership. I took a trip to Wyoming this year, and flew into Jackson Hole and rented a car. A regular renter at any reputable rental agency in Jackson Hole in the summer gets 100 free miles on their rental, and then pays per mile for the rest. A renter with an AAA card, however, gets a discount on the rental AND free unlimited miles. Considering I drove the car 700 miles in a week, I saved more than $200 on fees and another $100 or so off the regular rental price, which more than covered the annual membership. Couple this with the times I've used the service for the occasional flat tire change, jump start and discounts at hotels and other vendors, I feel that I've come out ahead.

sjb19

Post by sjb19 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:22 am

Being a AAA member gets me a discount on my cell phone for some reason. (T-mobile). That alone just about covers the cost for us.

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:36 am

As others have said, the value of AAA has lessoned with the availability of other travel aids.

These are certainly better, but having the book in the car while you're driving can be handy. On a recent trip to Glacier and Yellowstone, we found a couple of great downtown lunch spots at non-chain restaurants on our driving days. These stops are tough to plan in advance and without the book in the car, we would have defaulted to one of the highway chains.
With cell phones, these tools are quite portable. Yelp has an iphone app that automatically determines your location and gives you information based on that location. In San Juan Puerto Rico, we found several highly rated nook and cranny restaurants that we would have never found by ourselves.

infecto

Post by infecto » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:15 am

HueyLD wrote:
tibbitts wrote:No, I don't think towing will make your rates go up.
That's what I thought until after I started shopping around for a new insurance company. I was told that since we had a towing charge (about $50) once in the previous five years, our claims record was not without something "negative" and that one incidence prevented us from getting the best possible rate. I was surprised. It appears that insurance companies will use anything possible to give you a higher premium.

The AAA towing service, however, is not included in your insurance claims record.
+1

This is the important factor that no one has really touched on. Most insurance companies have towing coverage but what is never clear is how this might impact your future premiums. I have read many different opinions on it but the only way to know is to talk to your insurance company. A lot of companies will put this on your CLUE report though so even if your currency company does not care about it, it might be different with a new company.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am

AAA saves me a lot of money because it allows me to drive older cheaper cars. (Adverse selection in my favor.) For example, last year my radiator blew up and I had AAA tow it to my house where I fixed it and drove it until a transmission hose blew up (AAA towed and I fixed again). I could buy a more reliable car, but that would cost thousands per year, and AAA is about $110 for my wife and me.

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 am

I have towing coverage with my car insurance. It provides 100% reimbursement for towing costs. It was $8, I figured why not. However, towing coverage isn't the same thing as road side service.

- The insurance company (at least mine) will not call a towing company to dispatch a truck. If my car breaks down in an unknown area in the middle of the night, I am not going to know who to call. And if I want to be towed 100 miles, the driver might not oblige and is under no contractual obligation to do so. With AAA Plus, or Better World Club premium, in my case, the road side service will dispatch the truck and the driver would be contractually obligated to tow to where ever I need.

- My insurance company will not handle running out of gas, locking my keys in the car, and replacing my flat tire (Yes, I am mechanically challenged).

Other insurance companies may provide different forms of towing coverage. YMMV

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:51 am

In Canada (or at least in Alberta), the Canadian AAA club (called AMA, I believe), offers one-stop shopping for getting your drivers' license exchanged from the States, obtaining the necessary car inspection forms, getting your car registered and insured (through AMA), and who knows what else.

For a new arrival, this sort of service is well worth the membership fee, which is about the same as the US AAA fee.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:18 am

How much does a single tow cost? It might be more cost effective to just call a towing company directly each time you need a tow. For instance, I've had AAA for the last 8 years (at around $70 per year), and I've only needed one tow during that time. I am planning to drop the AAA when it expires, since I rarely travel out of my home town area and therefore never use the hotel discounts. I plan to carry the phone numbers of a few local towing companies in my wallet in case of emergency.

guarana

Post by guarana » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 am

the gold AAA card is more expensive but gives you more miles of tow (i believe basic gives you 5 miles, correct me if i'm wrong...) that matters to me if i need my VW serviced and instead it gets towed to 'joe blow service shop', who may not be familiar w/my car. now of course that's if i break down in my town, but of course i do most of my travel in one place.

the free tows may matter more to some than others. my parents live in a rural area that gets dumped on with snow, but sporadically plowed. i think our record was 5 tows in one winter out of snow drifts. the AAA more than paid for itself.

fishndoc

Post by fishndoc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:34 am

I finally got tired of arguing with my wife about the issue, and agreed last year to join AAA.
Since, we have used their towing service twice, and tire change (on the very narrow shoulder of a busy interstate) once, as well as discounts in the $10/nite range for every motel stay, and good discounts with Hertz on car rentals.
:oops:
As DW reminds me on almost every trip, joining AAA was a wise choice.
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

kevn23

Post by kevn23 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 pm

I think it has been well worth it for me. I've gotten a lot of free towing (flat bed!), jump start, emergency gas once, oh yeah, even opening the door for my car. The plus is the "best bang for the buck" IMO since it gives you 200 miles of towing as opposed to just 5 miles. The premier adds some what I think are unnecessary features, such as opening your home's lock, etc. etc.

dognose

Post by dognose » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:11 pm

My wife and I broke down last year in one of the most rural spots in Arizona. To make matters worse, we broke down in 108-degree weather with two dogs in the car. The good (great) news: AAA reached us in less than 45 minutes, fixed our problem, and had us back on the road within another 15 minutes. Is AAA worth it? No question in our minds . . . we will be members for life after this experience.

yobria

Post by yobria » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:27 pm

The outlet mall discounts alone make it worth it for me :)

Nick

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:36 pm

I used to be a member back when I drove serious beaters. Came in handy several times. They definitely lost money on me. :-) Now that I'm driving a car that's newer, the odds of my breaking down have decreased and I've let the membership lapse.

However, I've heard that if I ever do break down, I can simply call up AAA, renew my membership right there on the phone, and then ask for a tow.

Anyone know if that's true?

JJ

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:33 pm

JupiterJones wrote:However, I've heard that if I ever do break down, I can simply call up AAA, renew my membership right there on the phone, and then ask for a tow.
Not sure, but I do know that you can upgrade on the spot and thus get the additional-mileage tow benefit, should it become necessary.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:49 pm

I had AAA years ago back when I drove semi-junky cars. It easily paid for itself. The past 8 years or so I've pretty much always been driving a car under warranty with roadside assistance, so there isn't a need for it. I plan on keeping my current (brand new last month) car past the warranty expiration, at which point I will probably go for AAA again.

joebruin77

Post by joebruin77 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:33 pm

I am a life long member of AAA. I mean that quite literally. I first joined by being added on to my parent's membership. So as a result, my AAA card says I have been a member for 49 years. This is quite an accomplishment, given that I am 40 years old :-) .

I also feel like the membership is worth every penny. Road side assistance is great. One time I got stuck in a dangerous spot. I told the AAA rep this fact and a tow truck arrived in less than 10 minutes. I also have taken advantage of the travel agency, discounts, free maps, etc.

One other benefit that has not been mentioned yet is that AAA, they do offer some limited DMV services. For example, recently my wife accidentally through away the letter from the DMV that contained my registration renewal sticker. If I went to DMV to get a replacement, I would have had to wait at least 1 or 2 hours. But instead I went to my local AAA office and got the replacement sticker in 5 minutes. Oh, and if you ever need traveler's checks, I believe you can get them for free.

orlandoman

AARP Motor Club

Post by orlandoman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:39 pm

AARP Motor Club much cheaper & better towing benefits than AAA. Check it out if over 50.

UrbanMedic

Post by UrbanMedic » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:07 pm

The Dan wrote:How much does a single tow cost? It might be more cost effective to just call a towing company directly each time you need a tow. For instance, I've had AAA for the last 8 years (at around $70 per year), and I've only needed one tow during that time. I am planning to drop the AAA when it expires, since I rarely travel out of my home town area and therefore never use the hotel discounts. I plan to carry the phone numbers of a few local towing companies in my wallet in case of emergency.
Well, towing is insanely competitive and in my opinion a rather gruesome business. I see a lot of rather unsavory characters who will tell people literally anything to get the hook. I see this time and time again at car accidents.

From what I know about tow truck companies, here is what I would do: if you need a tow, call two or three places and then go with the first one to get there. If they seem expensive or won't negotiate with you (everything is negotiable) then tell them you have someone else coming and you will have them tow it if they won't deal. I bet if you aren't going too far, maybe less than 15 miles, you could get a fast tow for $100 cash on the spot.

I watched a guy negotiate a cash tow from $100 down to $50 at a wreck the other day. You can also get a lockout for about $30-$40. The city I live in is about 2 million in the area and they also have roadside assistance provided by the state police for jump starts, fuel, and even minor repairs. Great system. These don't cost you anything since you already pay taxes in most cases. Just call their emergency number which is usually on the signs along the highway. If in doubt, call the police or sherriff non emergency number and ask what the roadside assistance number is.