Change Username

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
lesstjm

Change Username

Post by lesstjm »

Is there a way to change our login username? I noticed that when I post it is showing up on google searches and I think someone who knows me could figure out who is making the posts by my username. Since I have personal financial info here I would like to change it. Thx
bob90245

Post by bob90245 »

Send a PM to Alex. He should be able to help you. Click the link and then the PM button besides Alex's name.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/groupcp.php?g=250
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

He changed mine (before I donated to support the forum).
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

Does changing a user name also retroactively change the name on existing past posts, or only the name on new posts going forward?

Marc
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

MarcMyWord wrote:Does changing a user name also retroactively change the name on existing past posts, or only the name on new posts going forward?

Marc
It changes them all, past and present. The only thing it doesn't change is the quoted name if someone quoted your post. For example if Marc changes his username, it would change his name on the previous post, but would not change it in my quote on this post.
Last edited by Alex Frakt on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

MarcMyWord wrote:Does changing a user name also retroactively change the name on existing past posts, or only the name on new posts going forward?

Marc
yes, does it retroactively. but as people may have quoted you, those original usernames in the quote box tops will not change.

in addition to alex, i can also change your name. just PM me.
beammeupscotty

Re: Change Username

Post by beammeupscotty »

Is Alex still the contact for username change requests, or is there someone else I can contact? I sent a PM to him a few days ago but haven't received a response, and it appears he hasn't been on the site since April 26. Thanks.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re:

Post by grabiner »

Alex Frakt wrote:

Marc
It changes them all, past and present. The only thing it doesn't change is the quoted name if someone quoted your post. For example if Marc changes his username, it would change his name on the previous post, but would not change it in my quote on this post.
If someone quotes your post with your old name (or with other information you decide should not be publicized, such as your employer), you can ask him or her to delete the information; most posters will comply and edit their posts.
Wiki David Grabiner
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

beammeupscotty wrote:Is Alex still the contact for username change requests, or is there someone else I can contact? I sent a PM to him a few days ago but haven't received a response, and it appears he hasn't been on the site since April 26. Thanks.
I can also change your name, just PM me. If there are any quoted posts which contain personally identifying info from your old username, let me know and I'll take a look.

(PM received, username changed.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
beammeupscotty

Post by beammeupscotty »

Thank you.
Kraemer

Post by Kraemer »

Could you change our user name. It is stated as Kracower and it should be Kraemer. We posted several days ago regarding investments for 75 year old.
Thanks and let us now if you can do this.
LadyGeek wrote:
beammeupscotty wrote:Is Alex still the contact for username change requests, or is there someone else I can contact? I sent a PM to him a few days ago but haven't received a response, and it appears he hasn't been on the site since April 26. Thanks.
I can also change your name, just PM me. If there are any quoted posts which contain personally identifying info from your old username, let me know and I'll take a look.

(PM received, username changed.)
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Kraemer wrote:Could you change our user name. It is stated as Kracower and it should be Kraemer. We posted several days ago regarding investments for 75 year old.
Thanks and let us now if you can do this.
Done. You can also PM me or LadyGeek with username change requests.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Anybody else having problems sending PM to LG or Alex? The PM are getting stuck in my Outbox and not getting out. I sent PM to myself and that worked fine.

I also want to change my login name.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

vgs wrote:Anybody else having problems sending PM to LG or Alex? The PM are getting stuck in my Outbox and not getting out.
Common question, see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126777 and the wiki, Was my private message read?. Short answer: PMs in Outbox indicate recipient hasn't read them yet.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Now if the forum software developer had called the "outbox" with the name "not_yet_read_by_recipient", nobody would be having this confusion and asking the question. Or even better call "sent" as "sent_and_read_by_recipient" and "outbox" as "sent_but_not_yet_read_by_recipient" folder if that is what they were suppose to imply rather than universal meaning of "sent" and "outbox".

But being in the software business myself for 40 years, I am sure my suggestion will go like a lead balloon :-) We were the guys who wrote "See Figure 1" when customer complained about our software. Let me see how many of you get that reference! (don't google it; that would be cheating)
Last edited by wrongfunds on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Okay VGS

Your suggestion is now in the outbox !!!
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

A few years back I was a member of a forum and simply used my real name. I had the same thoughts as the OP and got my username changed. OK, but that's not the fun part.

The forum software automatically assigned humorous nicknames that depended on the number of posts you had. If you became known for something (generally something stupid and embarrassing) the moderators would override the software and assign a suitably embarrassing nickname -- until you somehow redeemed yourself. In my case they said they would honor my wish to change my username but would assign my real name as my nickname!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Broadway2018

Post by Broadway2018 »

Anyone know if you can still change your username? Or should I setup a new account?

Thank you!
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

kwarden13 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:53 am Anyone know if you can still change your username? Or should I setup a new account?

Thank you!
I changed mine by just sending a PM to Lady Geek. She was super responsive and helpful.