Flagship Status-Turbo Tax Download

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Engineer

Flagship Status-Turbo Tax Download

Post by Engineer » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:43 am

As a Flagship member, exactly how does one download Turbo Tax Deluxe to their computer?

Thanks,

Engineer

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Start by sigining on your VG account.

Then use this link to access all TT options:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... i/turbotax

On the right side of the screen, click on the TurboTax logo. You will be redirected to another screen.

Click on the tab that says "Downloads" and select the product you want. Your price will be free for Flagship, or discounted, based upon your VG level.

Hope that helps.

- Ron

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:56 pm

I don't think you can actually download Turbotax to your computer. The free version Vanguard offers is an online version and requires Javascript to be enabled to work. This is different than having the disk and installing it on your computer.

edit: I see they also have the download option. I did not read far enough.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Engineer

Post by Engineer » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Ron,

Thanks for the help--got it downloaded, up and running!

Engineer

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Am I reading the asterisk ( * ) correctly in that the downloaded versions include state tax form preparation? I am confused since the online versions list the state tax application as a separate item.
Bob

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:56 pm

CABob wrote:Am I reading the asterisk ( * ) correctly in that the downloaded versions include state tax form preparation? I am confused since the online versions list the state tax application as a separate item.
Yes but you have to download the state once you have installed TT.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:19 am

CABob wrote:Am I reading the asterisk ( * ) correctly in that the downloaded versions [with an asterisk] include state tax form preparation? I am confused since the online versions list the state tax application as a separate item.
Yes, with the above correction, since not all downloaded versions have an asterisk and thus not all downloaded versions include state forms. I assume that you only get one state, but I am not sure, not being of such an exalted status as to be deserving of a free download.

Note that Deluxe with one state costs $22.45 + $27.70 = $50.15 for mere mortals online, but only $44.96 if you get the downloaded version. Presumably, the extra $5.19 is what Intuit charges you for keeping your data on their servers. :)

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:53 am

sscritic wrote:
CABob wrote:Am I reading the asterisk ( * ) correctly in that the downloaded versions [with an asterisk] include state tax form preparation? I am confused since the online versions list the state tax application as a separate item.
Yes, with the above correction, since not all downloaded versions have an asterisk and thus not all downloaded versions include state forms. I assume that you only get one state, but I am not sure, not being of such an exalted status as to be deserving of a free download.

Note that Deluxe with one state costs $22.45 + $27.70 = $50.15 for mere mortals online, but only $44.96 if you get the downloaded version. Presumably, the extra $5.19 is what Intuit charges you for keeping your data on their servers. :)
http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare.jsp

Online versions do not seem to include state (additional cost) while all of the downloaded versions include state except for Basic.

bc3x

Post by bc3x » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:03 pm

sscritic wrote:I assume that you only get one state.
"*Includes state tax return preparation. The cost of TurboTax Desktop Download includes tax preparation and printing of unlimited federal tax returns and free federal efile of up to 5 federal tax returns. An additional fee of $19.95 applies for efiling state returns."

"State return" is singular, while "federal returns" are plural. With all the angst that TurboTax caused last year, it is still highly improbable that they would give away the store (multiple state returns) even as a sign of contrition.

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:07 pm

bc3x wrote:
sscritic wrote:I assume that you only get one state.
"*Includes state tax return preparation. The cost of TurboTax Desktop Download includes tax preparation and printing of unlimited federal tax returns and free federal efile of up to 5 federal tax returns. An additional fee of $19.95 applies for efiling state returns."

"State return" is singular, while "federal returns" are plural. With all the angst that TurboTax caused last year, it is still highly improbable that they would give away the store (multiple state returns) even as a sign of contrition.
All this information is available at the link I provided above. Perhaps sscritic will take a look.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:30 pm

Paladin wrote: All this information is available at the link I provided above. Perhaps sscritic will take a look.
I could not find a reference to how many state returns were included in the download product at the link you provided. Perhaps you would quote the answer that you see that I cannot.

Further research leads to yet another link:
http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-tax ... /state.jsp
With Basic:
Prepare and print up to five (5) state returns for only $39.95 per state
With Deluxe, Premier, and
Home & Business:
INCLUDED. Prepare and print up to five (5) returns for one state at no extra cost.
Only $39.95 per additional state
So my supposition was correct; the free state is only one state. Each additional state is $39.95.

I still can't see that information at your link. I also didn't see it in your post. Naked links may not be as informative to others as they presumably are to you.

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:44 pm

sscritic wrote:
Paladin wrote: All this information is available at the link I provided above. Perhaps sscritic will take a look.
I could not find a reference to how many state returns were included in the download product at the link you provided. Perhaps you would quote the answer that you see that I cannot.

Further research leads to yet another link:
http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-tax ... /state.jsp
With Basic:
Prepare and print up to five (5) state returns for only $39.95 per state
With Deluxe, Premier, and
Home & Business:
INCLUDED. Prepare and print up to five (5) returns for one state at no extra cost.
Only $39.95 per additional state
So my supposition was correct; the free state is only one state. Each additional state is $39.95.

I still can't see that information at your link. I also didn't see it in your post. Naked links may not be as informative to others as they presumably are to you.
You need to click on the tabs for each product.

Puakinekine

Re: Flagship Status-Turbo Tax Download

Post by Puakinekine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Engineer wrote:As a Flagship member, exactly how does one download Turbo Tax Deluxe to their computer?

Thanks,

Engineer
I am not sure anyone has answered the OP's question as to the "exactly" part, which is now my question. I am trying to download TT Deluxe (the downloadable--not the work on-line version) through my flagship account, after logging in to said account, and have yet to figure out where the "complimentary" kicks in.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Perhaps my brain is just befuddled from yesterdays excess.

bc3x

Post by bc3x » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Ron's link is more relevant.

It's implied that only 1 state return is included. If a definitive answer is required, an email can be sent to those responsible for Vanguard's Tax Center.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Flagship Status-Turbo Tax Download

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Puakinekine wrote:
Engineer wrote:As a Flagship member, exactly how does one download Turbo Tax Deluxe to their computer?

Thanks,

Engineer
I am not sure anyone has answered the OP's question as to the "exactly" part, which is now my question. I am trying to download TT Deluxe (the downloadable--not the work on-line version) through my flagship account, after logging in to said account, and have yet to figure out where the "complimentary" kicks in.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Perhaps my brain is just befuddled from yesterdays excess.
I'm a Voyager member, so have to pay (but it's $10 cheaper than Amazon). I haven't actually done the download, but got as far as the "buy now" step.

1. Login to your Vanguard account.
2. Go to the File your taxes the easy way with TurboTax You can also get there from within your account via the Taxes section.
3. Click on the TurboTax icon under the "Get started now" section on the right side of the screen. That will bring up another window directly to Intuit's site, but with a Vanguard logo (enable cookies in your browser, as they are needed by Intuit). Navigate to where you want to purchase the software and you should be good to go from there.

The price I was quoted was the same as listed on the Vanguard site. I assume that the cost would show $0.00 for Flagship ($44.96 for me), but I can't verify that. I'll do the actual download sometime later this week.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bc3x

Post by bc3x » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

puakinekine,

There is this little advisory: "Note: Intuit will bill your credit card for applicable charges", so if you're not asked for a credit card, does this mean that it's gratis?

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks Ladygeek and bc3x, I will have to try again later, the house guests have woken up :)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:53 pm

bc3x wrote:puakinekine,

There is this little advisory: "Note: Intuit will bill your credit card for applicable charges", so if you're not asked for a credit card, does this mean that it's gratis?
I don't think you're in the right menu. You want to "Buy Now".

This is the link if you went direct (not from Vanguard): Personal Tax Products and Services. Under "Buy CD/Download", select "Buy Now" then Add to Cart and go through the normal purchase routine. You want to download.

From the Vanguard site, it's nearly the same process. Just be careful to be sure it's the full version.

Again, I'm not sure since I haven't actually purchased it yet, but the Intuit site is extremely hard sell with the online versions. You have to make an effort to find what you want.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks Ron and Lady Geek for the detailed instructions. I couldn't figure out why things weren't working right, but then I discovered I had previously blocked the Intuit site (Always block) and I had my cookie setting to "Advanced". Once I took care of those two things, I was able to download the Deluxe version for free.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi