USAA Membership

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
deajv1

USAA Membership

Post by deajv1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:25 pm

USAA has just announced that all honorably discharged vets can now join. I have been a member for over 25 years. There service and products are tops. There philosphy is that you are part of a large family not just a consumer. I use their banking, credit cards, insurance and would not switch. I made sure that my children became membes.

Tim Callahan

Post by Tim Callahan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:41 pm

I can testify to that. My dad's had them for years and so have I as his family member. He lost his home in a wildfire a couple of years ago here in CA, and not only were they prompt and fair with a settlement, they also helped me since I had a lot of stuff stored at his house. They've been a great company to deal with for everything else as well, esp. in their customer service.

bearwolf

Re: USAA Membership

Post by bearwolf » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:08 pm

deajv1 wrote:USAA has just announced that all honorably discharged vets can now join. I have been a member for over 25 years. There service and products are tops. There philosphy is that you are part of a large family not just a consumer. I use their banking, credit cards, insurance and would not switch. I made sure that my children became membes.
This is awesome. My father is now eligible. He left the service in the late 1950's after the Korean conflict. I'm going to see about getting signed up.

Thanks for the heads up!

BearWolf

jegallup

Post by jegallup » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:12 pm

I've been a member since 1972. They're the best for banking, home and auto insurance. I've used the brokerage service a bit and it's okay.

pablolo

usaa

Post by pablolo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:31 am

my dad was honorably discharged in ww2. he is deceased. am i eligible to join usaa? pablo

Gooner

Re: usaa

Post by Gooner » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:59 am

pablolo wrote:my dad was honorably discharged in ww2. he is deceased. am i eligible to join usaa? pablo
I don't think so. Based on my reading of the eligibility requirements, membership for spouses and children is based on the spouse's/parent's USAA membership, not his or her service.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_blogs/Blo ... ligibility

Sean

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:42 am

Is there an annual membership fee? I couldn't tell from the web site.

OAG

Post by OAG » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:50 am

Hondo wrote:Is there an annual membership fee? I couldn't tell from the web site.
No.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.

Beth

Membership

Post by Beth » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:43 pm

You don't have to be eligible to be a member to invest in their CDs. This is important b/c sometimes they have better rates than PenFed. Recently, this was true on the 5 yr CDs. Regards, Beth

Kevinaom

Post by Kevinaom » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:03 pm

pablolo wrote:my dad was honorably discharged in ww2. he is deceased. am i eligible to join usaa? pablo
Was he ever a member do you know? If he was, I think you qualify as a family member (you may have to "reconstruct" the membership). If he was not a member, then you cannot be.

For all USAA members out there... one thing I have done is set up a "kids" account for my son which means he will be eligible for the rest of his life even if he is not in the service.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:30 pm

bearwolf wrote:
deajv1 wrote:This is awesome. My father is now eligible. He left the service in the late 1950's after the Korean conflict. I'm going to see about getting signed up.

Thanks for the heads up!

BearWolf
My dad signed up on the web today. I tried to call but no customer service on the weekend apparently. I can wait till Monday though.

BearWolf

flowerbuyer

Post by flowerbuyer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:18 pm

My mom has had an account with them for years (originally with my dad, who passed away 20 yrs ago). I used my DPOA to set up a Revocable Living Trust for her this past summer, and they were very good to work with in transferring her account to the name of the trust. They also offer good CD rates (for the current times).

giacolet

Post by giacolet » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks for the information on USAA's new membership policy. I enrolled on line and am now a member.
May your heart always be joyful. | May your song always be sung. | May you stay forever young. | ----Bob Dylan

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Kevinaom wrote:For all USAA members out there... one thing I have done is set up a "kids" account for my son which means he will be eligible for the rest of his life even if he is not in the service.
Neither my wife nor I served, but her father is retired Navy so that's how I was able to join. Thanks, Dad.

I admit that I'm a little curious about what this change in eligibility will mean to rates, service, etc. Not that I think the change is a bad thing (at all); just wondering.
I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed. --Booker T. Washington

giacolet

Post by giacolet » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:48 am

Our mission states "USAA seeks to be the provider of choice for the military community." Not just the officer community. Not just military retirees. Not just those who served after 1995. We are carefully and responsibly managing USAA's growth, and have taken incremental steps in expanding membership eligibility to bring us to this point. We wanted to be very sure that USAA has the capital, the operational capacity and the capability to precisely underwrite and price for risk at the individual level.

All those requirements are firmly in place. USAA is now the only property and casualty insurer to hold the highest ratings for financial strength from Moody's, Standard & Poor's and A.M. Best. Member satisfaction remains consistently high and is currently at 93%, through your choice of telephone, online or mobile — anywhere in the world. And our products and services continue to be competitively priced based on the individual risk.
Josue (Joe) Robles, Jr.

Maj. Gen. USA, ret.
President & CEO
USAA

I am pleased to now qualify for the excellent services tha USAA provides it's members, particularly low rates in auto insurance.

I served four years (1960-1964) in the US Navy on the USS Tanner (AGS 15) during the Cuban shipping blockade and doing "survey" work in the Barent's Sea north of Murmask while Russia conducted nucular tests.

As an enlisted man I did not receive a significant salary. I have continued to work past FRA to replace those four low earning years with my current salary, thereby increasing my monthly SS benefit.

I am happy to be able to still receive some benefits from those four years of service such as USAA provides.
May your heart always be joyful. | May your song always be sung. | May you stay forever young. | ----Bob Dylan

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:30 pm

bearwolf wrote: My dad signed up on the web today. I tried to call but no customer service on the weekend apparently. I can wait till Monday though.

BearWolf
It seems like it's always two steps forward and one step back. My dad signed up over the weekend and requested a quote for insurance. The rates were higher than what he currently has so he doesn't want to switch. So he is now a member, but I don't qualify for certain programs at USAA because he doesn't have an insurance policy with them. I've had my children join, but they aren't eligible because I don't have a policy. I can't sign up for one even if I want to because my father hasn't yet.

Man they make it tough to join.

BearWolf

mclovin

Post by mclovin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:20 pm

OAG wrote:
Hondo wrote:Is there an annual membership fee? I couldn't tell from the web site.
No.
There is no fee, their insurance rates are the lowest I found, and they send out insurance dividend payments yearly. I am quite happy.

pjstack

Post by pjstack » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:10 am

I've been with them for 50+ years.
pjstack

Rubiosa

Post by Rubiosa » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Same here. Fifty-two years.

tomd37

USAA - 49 years

Post by tomd37 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:47 pm

I have enjoyed 49 years of USAA membership with all types of insurances, and some banking. :D
Tom D.

dphmd

Post by dphmd » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:36 pm

A little younger than the last two posters, but I've been a member for 18 years -- and a very, very happy one. Home & auto insurance, checking, and credit card.

The best part to me is the fact that they allow you to pay by the month but don't tack on an extra fee to do so. Other companies either offer a "discount" for paying up front or charge an extra fee for spreading the payments out. It's much easier to budget this way.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:47 am

Can CDs be purchased online by non-members? Is there anything to beware of with regard to CDs such as redemption? Some I have used will auto-redeem unless they are contacted within a certain number of days and give no option to opt out of this.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

djorg

Post by djorg » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:40 pm

My husband and I are members based on his father's service.

We used to have renter's insurance through them, but they are higher on auto/home than what we currently have, mainly because they don't do multi-line discounts. I am tempted from time to time to switch to them anyway, based on all the positive reviews. We still have/use a USAA credit card.

Bearwolf, you are saying you got a membership number, but still can't get products? Which ones?

And I heard that there are certain things that only active duty military have access to...can't remember the details.

R-Man

Post by R-Man » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:01 pm

I've been a member for 42 years. No complaints on the insurance side but the brokerage service is less than desired so I switched to Wells Fargo.

I had a car flooded 2 months ago and USAA had me a check before the car was repaired. A few other problems arose during the repair and a supplemental check was also cut before the car left the repair shop. Other than your deductible, USAA tries to keep your cash flow at zero. :D
Wag More, Bark Less.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:31 pm

djorg wrote: Bearwolf, you are saying you got a membership number, but still can't get products? Which ones?

And I heard that there are certain things that only active duty military have access to...can't remember the details.
They first opened membership to non military people, but all I could open was a checking account. Which I did. I wanted to use the Deposit@home feature, actually that is the only reason I wanted the USAA account. But you can only use that service if you are eligible for insurance and have a loan or credit card. You can only get one of those products if your parent is a member that at one time owned a Property and Casualty product. Or have served in the military yourself.

We finally resolved the problem by having my dad join and take out an insurance policy on one of his vehicles. The rate was almost twice his current policy, but we did it to gain access to USAA. Once I have a policy on one of my vehicles then my kids will also have access.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go through for such a simple product, but what can you do? There apparently isn't a requirement that you have a policy in force all of the time, just that you had one at one time.

BearWolf

TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:07 am

bearwolf wrote:We finally resolved the problem by having my dad join and take out an insurance policy on one of his vehicles. The rate was almost twice his current policy, but we did it to gain access to USAA. Once I have a policy on one of my vehicles then my kids will also have access.BearWolf
I hope you're reimbursing him the extra money he has to pay each month because he's only doing it for your benefit. :wink:

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:44 am

TJAJ9 wrote: I hope you're reimbursing him the extra money he has to pay each month because he's only doing it for your benefit. :wink:
I'm paying for the policy, I wish it weren't so complicated since he gets so little benefit. One thing I'm confused about is that USAA is supposed to have the best rates around, but on automobile they are almost twice as high for him. Homeowners was about 1/3 higher.

BearWolf

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:05 pm

40+ years with USAA with HO and auto insurance. We also have our checking account at the USAA bank and part of our cash reserves with the USAA MF company in their MMF which has been getting a better yield than PMMF for several months.

Not sure if everyone qualifies for the Subscribers Account as many of us long-time officers do. My son (not in the military) is a USAA member but has never heard of this so I assume that it may only accrue to officers since they are the original core members. Maybe not...
Last edited by mickeyd on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:11 pm

bearwolf wrote:
TJAJ9 wrote: I hope you're reimbursing him the extra money he has to pay each month because he's only doing it for your benefit. :wink:
I'm paying for the policy, I wish it weren't so complicated since he gets so little benefit. One thing I'm confused about is that USAA is supposed to have the best rates around, but on automobile they are almost twice as high for him. Homeowners was about 1/3 higher.

BearWolf
Yeah I just got a Homeowners quote and it was a fair bit higher than my current policy.
My wife was able to join under the new rules and I'm still trying to figure out what to do to get fully up and running. For example can I join right away. Can I get a life insurance quote from them now?
cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.

OAG

Post by OAG » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:53 am

For those that say USAA is higher in rates than their current carrier. If they are higher, why would you switch - what does USAA provide, beyond insurance, that is the draw?

I would suggest however, that you print out the coverage page from USAA and lay it out along side of your current carriers similar page and verify that it is actually higher for each and very line of coverage. Are the deductibles the same, comprehensive and liability levels the same, towing and rental clauses the same, etc.

I have been a USAA customer (Insurance Only) for over 20 years. I check every few years but have never been able to beat their insurance rates (for like coverages (apples to apples comparison)), either before or after the SSA deposit I receive each year).

MollyRN

Post by MollyRN » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:34 am

I joined last week, spoke with a USAA rep to compare insurance premiums on 2 houses, 2 cars, 1 boat, & umbrella, & found that USAA would save us $1300 on comparable policies that we now have with Allstate!

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:51 am

MollyRN wrote:I joined last week, spoke with a USAA rep to compare insurance premiums on 2 houses, 2 cars, 1 boat, & umbrella, & found that USAA would save us $1300 on comparable policies that we now have with Allstate!
I'm still waiting for the umbrella pricing, they don't work on weekends. So far they are about $200/year less expensive for 1 house 4 cars and 1 boat. They umbrella may make the difference. I'm not sure if I want to switch for $200/year. The HO insurance is actually more expensive, but the cars are less. When my daughter graduates and moves out the cars will be about a wash and the house will be more expensive.

BearWolf

jasonp99

Post by jasonp99 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:12 am

My Dad as in the Army (30 years) and during that time took out a universal life policy in my name from USAA. So now I can buy any kind of insurance product from them (as well as brokerage but I don't see any compelling reason to do so).

Three years ago I got quotes from lots of companies and found out I was getting reamed by Allstate so I switched to Geico. 6 months after that USAA was able to beat Geico's rate by a significant amount for our 3 cars so I switched. The absolute best thing (besides the price) about USAA is that they take monthly payments with no extra fee.

Still have my HO insurance with Allstate as it is cheaper than I can get with USAA (actually last time I checked USAA wouldn't even write me a policy because I have a dog, ugh!).

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:49 am

OAG wrote:I would suggest however, that you print out the coverage page from USAA and lay it out along side of your current carriers similar page and verify that it is actually higher for each and very line of coverage. Are the deductibles the same, comprehensive and liability levels the same, towing and rental clauses the same, etc.
I had my declarations pages in front of me while talking with the USAA agent. We matched as nearly as we could with coverage, liability levels, deductibles, etc. With as nearly identical coverage as we could get the USAA homeowners policy was a little over $300 more per year. With car, boat and umbrella The total was about $600 in USAA favor. The largest part of that is for my daughters coverage. Once she leaves the house the coverage is about a wash with umbrella and boat offsetting the higher home policy.

I've heard USAA has excellent customer service, but I've also had excellent service from my state farm agent. I haven't decided which way to go yet, I'll probably make up my mind after I call USAA back to verify the coverage and premium amounts tomorrow.

My father and I compared his rates with the USAA quotes, again with the declarations pages in front of us. USAA was higher for him on both Auto and Home.

BearWolf

HearDoc

Post by HearDoc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:21 am

USAA has never been the "cheapest". It has been the best overall on service. If you want the cheapest rates look around, I'm sure you can find them.
If however you want the minimum of hassles, fair pricing and service reps who understand English above a 6th grade level, USAA is a fine company.
Current/former Officers and senior NCO's still qualify to get a "rebate" on all of their insurance products which can amount to hundreds of dollars a year depending on USAA yearly claims payout history thus making it a better deal for "classic" USAA members. Children and the newly franchised members don't qualify.

dphmd

Post by dphmd » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:07 am

HearDoc wrote:USAA has never been the "cheapest". It has been the best overall on service. If you want the cheapest rates look around, I'm sure you can find them.
If however you want the minimum of hassles, fair pricing and service reps who understand English above a 6th grade level, USAA is a fine company.
Likely true, but for me, when I compared rates with other major insurers USAA was at least as cheap or cheaper than the rest. To go any cheaper I would have to go with a company that easily might not be around when I filed a claim.

Are they cheaper for everyone? No. For me? Yes. Just shows you have to shop around.
Discipline is freedom.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:14 am

HearDoc wrote: Current/former Officers and senior NCO's still qualify to get a "rebate" on all of their insurance products which can amount to hundreds of dollars a year depending on USAA yearly claims payout history thus making it a better deal for "classic" USAA members. Children and the newly franchised members don't qualify.
I believe what you refer to is the Subscribers Account. Once you have been a USAA member for 40 years you may begin receiving a refund annually that is 10% of the account total, which amounts to hundreds of dollars in many cases.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

OAG

Post by OAG » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:13 am

mickeyd wrote:
HearDoc wrote: Current/former Officers and senior NCO's still qualify to get a "rebate" on all of their insurance products which can amount to hundreds of dollars a year depending on USAA yearly claims payout history thus making it a better deal for "classic" USAA members. Children and the newly franchised members don't qualify.
I believe what you refer to is the Subscribers Account. Once you have been a USAA member for 40 years you may begin receiving a refund annually that is 10% of the account total, which amounts to hundreds of dollars in many cases.
Also. if one of the policy holders (spouse) dies the other can get the entire SSA account proceeds paid to them and still retain membership eligibility with USAA. Check this one, since with changing policies, it may have gone by the wayside.

PS: Hello, Mickey.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:40 am

It doesn't take 40 years membership to get some cash paid back from the SSA, but there may be an increase at the 40 year mark.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:42 am

When I put car/renter's insurance in my own name, my mom admonished me never ever to even consider moving my insurance elsewhere, even if I find it cheaper. Over the decades, there have been a number of claims with them, and they've always been incredibly gracious, according to my mom. People seem to put a low premium on good service, until they need it.

Ryan
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

RenoJay

I just switched from USAA

Post by RenoJay » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:37 pm

I've had USAA for over 12 years, but the combined bill for homeowners/auto/umbrella and a personal property policy for my wife's ring rang in at over $4,000 per year. Ouch! USAA is a great company, but at a certain price, it makes sense to shop. I ended up saving over 25% switching to State Farm which also has a good reputation. I hated to leave USAA, but I felt their assessment of the re-build cost for my home was way out of line. I was going to include a link to a great place to see reviews of insurance companies, but the spambot stopped me since I"m new to Bogleheads.

murfields

Post by murfields » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:50 pm

The most important subject on insurance is the settlement of claims; that is what you pay for and expect. As far as claims settlements Consumer reports rate Amica first, USAA second Chubbs third and Farm Bureau of Iowa fourth. three months ago USAA was not available to me and Chubbs restrict homes insurance to $500,000 value or more. So I went with Farm Bureau. USAA next time.

Murfield
"Nobody wants to have in his cash holdings a definite number of pieces of money; he wants to keep a cash holdings of a definite amount of purchasing power"

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:52 pm

dbr wrote:It doesn't take 40 years membership to get some cash paid back from the SSA, but there may be an increase at the 40 year mark.
When I hit the 40 mark, USAA sent me a letter advising me that I could take 10% of the accumulated account annually or continue to let it build up. Prior to that time I was unaware of this program and was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Was your experience different?

loki

Post by loki » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:48 pm

I've been with USAA for a few years now (have an account through my father). They are amazing. If you can get into the system do so immediately. Once you are in, your spouse can sign up, and your children. As long as nobody breaks the chain it can keep being passed on.

Things I like:

Checking - you can deposit checks using your iPhone or scanner. I never have to visit the bank. Transfers are very fast. Tiny interest rate but better than nothing. Free use of ATMs (they reimburse you the fees)
Credit card - extremely low rates. I have very good credit but my other cards refused to give me below 16%, some of them below 19% in this economy. USAA gave me 10%! I pay back in full so it doesn't matter much but it's still nice to have.
Insurance - renters and valuable personal property are both very cheap for me
They pay you - every year I get a check from them. It's never that much but they pay back dividends if you buy insurance through them
Customer service - great! Almost never longer than a minute wait and always helpful

Things I don't like:

No local bank - I keep some money at a local bank just in case. Not much, just in case of emergency
Auto insurance - way too expensive for me. They are 3x more expensive than Geico. I've called and told them this but they say they cannot match Geico for me.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:58 pm

I wonder why they seem to be such a good deal for some people and a lame deal for others. I feel like I get really competitive rates on top of the nice customer service, on top of the end-of-year dividends.

Anyone else notice they ship out their motorcycle insurance to Progressive? Kind of weak.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Drain

Post by Drain » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:09 pm

ryuns wrote:I wonder why they seem to be such a good deal for some people and a lame deal for others.
It's the same thing for every insurer. They're all cheaper--either on a relative basis or an absolute basis--in some areas and more expensive in others. On average, USAA is pretty good, but not everywhere.

Edit: There is also variation by product. In your area, USAA might be relatively cheap for homeowner's and relatively expensive for auto.

Edit #2: I guess I haven't really answered "why", but there are Bogleheads from the industry who can answer that better than I.
Darin

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:30 pm

mickeyd wrote:
dbr wrote:It doesn't take 40 years membership to get some cash paid back from the SSA, but there may be an increase at the 40 year mark.
When I hit the 40 mark, USAA sent me a letter advising me that I could take 10% of the accumulated account annually or continue to let it build up. Prior to that time I was unaware of this program and was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Was your experience different?
I have received a check yearly for a portion of the built-up account for as long as I can remember. My understanding is that amount of distribution is at the annual discretion of the board. The SSA itself is an account that holds return of premium to the extent premiums exceed costs. I have never investigated any particular terms and conditions that apply or ever remember making an election one way or the other. It is entirely possible that there is an election for the 10% at 40 years. I might remember hearing something like that.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:09 pm

bearwolf wrote:I had my declarations pages in front of me while talking with the USAA agent. We matched as nearly as we could with coverage, liability levels, deductibles, etc. With as nearly identical coverage as we could get the USAA homeowners policy was a little over $300 more per year. With car, boat and umbrella The total was about $600 in USAA favor. The largest part of that is for my daughters coverage. Once she leaves the house the coverage is about a wash with umbrella and boat offsetting the higher home policy.

I've heard USAA has excellent customer service, but I've also had excellent service from my state farm agent. I haven't decided which way to go yet, I'll probably make up my mind after I call USAA back to verify the coverage and premium amounts tomorrow.

My father and I compared his rates with the USAA quotes, again with the declarations pages in front of us. USAA was higher for him on both Auto and Home.

BearWolf
Well I've been on the phone with USAA and State Farm today. I called State Farm to verify all my premiums and liability levels and USAA to see if I had all of the discounts available. After all of this discussion I asked if there was a discount if I had both Auto and Homeowners with them. The agent replied, "oh yes there is a 10% discount, I didn't mention it because you don't have an auto policy in force". This strikes me as a bit odd, since she knew I was comparing prices and was looking for any price discrepancies. I also asked for the Homeowner and Auto policy quotes on the same call with the same agent. All told the USAA coverage is almost $1000 less per year than State Farm for Home, Auto, Boat, and Umbrella.

The other odd thing I noticed is that the quote comes from Garrison P&C company. Does anyone know if that is a separate company from USAA?

BearWolf

HearDoc

Post by HearDoc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:12 pm

bearwolf wrote:
bearwolf wrote:I had my declarations pages in front of me while talking with the USAA agent. We matched as nearly as we could with coverage, liability levels, deductibles, etc. With as nearly identical coverage as we could get the USAA homeowners policy was a little over $300 more per year. With car, boat and umbrella The total was about $600 in USAA favor. The largest part of that is for my daughters coverage. Once she leaves the house the coverage is about a wash with umbrella and boat offsetting the higher home policy.

BearWolf
Well I've been on the phone with USAA and State Farm today. I called State Farm to verify all my premiums and liability levels and USAA to see if I had all of the discounts available. After all of this discussion I asked if there was a discount if I had both Auto and Homeowners with them. The agent replied, "oh yes there is a 10% discount, I didn't mention it because you don't have an auto policy in force". This strikes me as a bit odd, since she knew I was comparing prices and was looking for any price discrepancies. I also asked for the Homeowner and Auto policy quotes on the same call with the same agent. All told the USAA coverage is almost $1000 less per year than State Farm for Home, Auto, Boat, and Umbrella.

The other odd thing I noticed is that the quote comes from Garrison P&C company. Does anyone know if that is a separate company from USAA?

BearWolf
I suspect that if you were not qualified for USAA as an officer/senior NCO
your insurance is actually with a subsidiary of USAA. It used to be USAA CIC for the children of USAA members. I don't know if that is still true.

HearDoc

Post by HearDoc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:14 pm

mickeyd wrote:
I'll hit the 40 year mark in 2015. Does the SSA accrue with interest ? Why would you leave it in if it didn't?