Best use of Chase points?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
newyorker

Best use of Chase points?

Post by newyorker »

I have unused chase credit worth around $1300 in cashback. Is there any better way to get this than a straight cashback? There used to be able to pay my bill for 25 percent discount (which is now unavailable).

Only good thing seems like 15 percent discount on apple product. I may get an apple product in the future (just for the sake of using this points). Or should I simply get cashback?

Thank you!
index245

Re: Best use of Chase points?

Post by index245 »

Do you travel? That's the best way. Transfer to travel partners. Hyatt consistently yields >2 cpp. Or use the chase portal (1.25 for sapphire preferred, 1.5 for sapphire reserve).
Topic Author
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

index245 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:33 pm Do you travel? That's the best way. Transfer to travel partners. Or use the chase portal (1.25 for sapphire preferred, 1.5 for sapphire reserve).

Use for booking hotels right? I rarely travel. 😭
index245

Post by index245 »

Hotels or airlines. Hyatt (hotels) is the most valuable transfer partner.

Unless I missed something, pay yourself back is still there. Grocery and gas station for 1.25 through 6/30. Probably your next best option if you don't travel.
cncm

Post by cncm »

Best use is definitely travel. Transfer to airline and redeem for international business class flights. Or transfer to Hyatt for hotel stays. I just booked a stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo for 25k points when the cash cost is over $1k.
monkeytypist

Post by monkeytypist »

I currently have 6 figures in Chase points that I'm saving up to upgrade to business class on a long distance flight.
Topic Author
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

index245 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:39 pm Hotels or airlines. Hyatt (hotels) is the most valuable transfer partner.

Unless I missed something, pay yourself back is still there. Grocery and gas station for 1.25 through 6/30. Probably your next best option if you don't travel.
Nah its just 1 to 1 match for that. Only 1.25 is donation to which I respond... "are you kidding me?"
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

newyorker wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:31 pm I have unused chase credit worth around $1300 in cashback. Is there any better way to get this than a straight cashback? There used to be able to pay my bill for 25 percent discount (which is now unavailable).

Only good thing seems like 15 percent discount on apple product. I may get an apple product in the future (just for the sake of using this points). Or should I simply get cashback?

Thank you!
It appears you have 130,000 points? Convert those to UA miles and depending on you travel plans, you may be able to redeem for an international one-way business class trip. That easily could be worth $5K.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:16 am It appears you have 130,000 points? Convert those to UA miles and depending on you travel plans, you may be able to redeem for an international one-way business class trip. That easily could be worth $5K.
If you don't travel there is little value in that, even if it sounds too good to be true for us travelers.

Chase dialed back the higher pay yourself back redemption options, especially if you don't have a premium card. I would keep an eye out for what will happen on July 1 when they tend to change things. You could also look and see if there are gift card discounts that are of value to you. If you don't travel then that is probably the only way to get more than 1 cent per point.
kojima

Post by kojima »

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Dornhoefer

Post by Dornhoefer »

Agree with others that transferring UR points to Hyatt is a great way (for me, the best way) to go. For example, I've gotten more than 5 cpp using points at Alila Ventana Big Sur (a high end Hyatt hotel) and more than 3 cpp at Tempe Mission Palms (a nice but more down to earth -- figuratively and literally -- Hyatt hotel). Fairly common to get more than 2 cpp at the Hyatt Places of the world, too. 130k points could set up a Hyatt Place road trip if you're so inclined. Good luck.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

the problem with hotel points is that you are limited to room selection. At my stage in life, I prefer rooms with a view, especially when near water. With the Chase portal, you are able to select the room you want, albeit using more points.
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:52 am You could sell your points.

https://milesbuyer.com/sell-miles/sell- ... ds-points/
Pretty sure this violates the rules of most points and miles programs.

Like others, I find pretty good values transferring to Hyatt. If I didn’t travel I guess I’d do something like the Apple purchase or just convert to cash.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

newyorker wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:31 pm I have unused chase credit worth around $1300 in cashback. Is there any better way to get this than a straight cashback? There used to be able to pay my bill for 25 percent discount (which is now unavailable).

Thank you!
I probably wouldn't do the Apple discount unless it's specifically something you'd buy anyway and it's not available discounted elsewhere. On many Apple products, you can get significant discounts when Best Buy, Target, etc., put them on sale, e.g.

As others noted, travel is generally the best use, but if you don't do much of that, then maybe just convert to cash.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

I went through this about a month ago. Had the same amount of Chase points.

Did not find anything better than simply requesting a ACH deposit to my checking account.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Pdxnative wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:23 am
Jags4186 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:52 am You could sell your points.

https://milesbuyer.com/sell-miles/sell- ... ds-points/
Pretty sure this violates the rules of most points and miles programs.

Like others, I find pretty good values transferring to Hyatt. If I didn’t travel I guess I’d do something like the Apple purchase or just convert to cash.
It certainly does, but it’s not illegal. Worst that happens is Chase bans you.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Why would you spend extra money out of pocket on something you don't want? Just take the cash back.
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

newyorker wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:19 am
index245 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:39 pm Hotels or airlines. Hyatt (hotels) is the most valuable transfer partner.

Nah its just 1 to 1 match for that. Only 1.25 is donation to which I respond... "are you kidding me?"
Same for me, but the Pay Yourself Back bonus categories depend on the specific Chase Ultimate Rewards cards you have.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-pa ... rself-back
bendix

Post by bendix »

If you dont travel a lot these points arent very useful. I usually use them for stays in Hyatt hotels or transfer them to British Airways and book domestic flights on American Airlines with it. Both great value.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Rainier wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:20 am
Cruise wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:16 am It appears you have 130,000 points? Convert those to UA miles and depending on you travel plans, you may be able to redeem for an international one-way business class trip. That easily could be worth $5K.
If you don't travel there is little value in that, even if it sounds too good to be true for us travelers.
Would someone who didn't travel mistakenly take up my suggestion, only to later have remorse and say "Oh, I forgot, I don't travel!"?

FYI, just today, I booked two international J seats for $167K each, which were retailing for $5,750 each.
Last edited by Cruise on Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:16 am

Thank you!
It appears you have 130,000 points? Convert those to UA miles and depending on you travel plans, you may be able to redeem for an international one-way business class trip. That easily could be worth $5K.
I convert to UA only when I find a flight that suits me. Not before that as I can use Chase points for other things. Once I transfer to UA, it's pretty much for the flights.

But you can fly business class to Europe for 70k-80k points - if your dates are flexible and destination works out for you. I just flew business to Budapest for 80k miles last month.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Theseus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:15 pm

Thank you!
I convert to UA only when I find a flight that suits me. Not before that as I can use Chase points for other things. Once I transfer to UA, it's pretty much for the flights.

But you can fly business class to Europe for 70k-80k points - if your dates are flexible and destination works out for you. I just flew business to Budapest for 80k miles last month.
Yes, redemption value is the key. My booking was a 3.39 cents per mile(point). Since my average points per dollar is at least 2, it is like getting 6.8% return
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

The value of points used for travel is what you would actually spend out of your own pocket on the travel. If you weren't going to stay at the $1000 hotel room or fly business class for an international flight then the values are fake.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:31 pm The value of points used for travel is what you would actually spend out of your own pocket on the travel. If you weren't going to stay at the $1000 hotel room or fly business class for an international flight then the values are fake.
That's absolutely not true. You can buy even basic economy ticket with points. And also stay at comfort inn. People like to use points for business class is because it seems free to them. And generally if you have pay for the same ticket, it is considerably higher - like 2-3 times higher (I am speaking from UA experience).
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:31 pm
The value of points used for travel is what you would actually spend out of your own pocket on the travel. If you weren't going to stay at the $1000 hotel room or fly business class for an international flight then the values are fake.
I don’t understand the need to state the obvious: Some of us do buy J or F and stay in $1K hotel rooms, so there is great value. Obviously, those who don’t wouldn’t find the value save for those who want to treat themselves to an aspirational experience.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Thank you!

You can fly east coast or Chi-Madrid in J for 34k points off peak, 50k peak on Iberia..great value, especially with 3 Chase cards offering 75-100k avios points sign up bonuses.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

theplayer11 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:21 pm

Thank you!

You can fly east coast or Chi-Madrid in J for 34k points off peak, 50k peak on Iberia..great value, especially with 3 Chase cards offering 75-100k avios points sign up bonuses.
I didn't know that. I have Avios on British. And their site so bad and availability of award flights is non-existent, I just gave up on Avios. I wonder if I can transfer from British to Iberia.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Theseus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:31 pm

Thank you!

I didn't know that. I have Avios on British. And their site so bad and availability of award flights is non-existent, I just gave up on Avios. I wonder if I can transfer from British to Iberia.
yes, you can transfer. I always book a full year in advance to get J(they only release 2 J seats). Iberia site is awful and customer service pretty bad as well..but for 2 to fly in J from Bos-Mad round trip for 136k points, I deal with it.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

theplayer11 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:38 pm
Theseus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:31 pm

yes, you can transfer. I always book a full year in advance to get J(they only release 2 J seats). Iberia site is awful and customer service pretty bad as well..but for 2 to fly in J from Bos-Mad round trip for 136k points, I deal with it. Been doing it the last 7 years.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Thank you!
People who are really into travel miles may not understand or disagree, but to you, since you don't travel, your 130,000 points are worth $1300. Get the cash back and move on with life. I give you permission to not get the best redemption value for your points. It is ok, everything will be just fine and you will be $1300 richer.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:25 pm

Thank you!

Yes, redemption value is the key. My booking was a 3.39 cents per mile(point). Since my average points per dollar is at least 2, it is like getting 6.8% return
Is that 60-80k points in int’l business class one way or round-trip? Is that what’s considered a really good deal?

I looked recently and the best I could find was ~250k points per seat round trip. Dates were flexible plus or minus a couple days, destination city was not flexible. Was too rich for my blood.

Is there a good way to find cheap tickets with miles? I tried AwardHacker.com but was not able to find most of the deals they were listing, at least within the date ranges I was traveling.

I ended up booking with cash and paid about $1200/seat for economy, but it was non-stop, which was my splurge. I paid with points at the 1.5 cent/point rate (I have a CSR).
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Thank you!

Is that 60-80k points in int’l business class one way or round-trip? Is that what’s considered a really good deal?

I looked recently and the best I could find was ~250k points per seat round trip. Dates were flexible plus or minus a couple days, destination city was not flexible. Was too rich for my blood.

Is there a good way to find cheap tickets with miles? I tried AwardHacker.com but was not able to find most of the deals they were listing, at least within the date ranges I was traveling.

I ended up booking with cash and paid about $1200/seat for economy, but it was non-stop, which was my splurge. I paid with points at the 1.5 cent/point rate (I have a CSR).
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Furthermore, if you really don't travel, don't bother letting points accumulate like that. They're certainly not earning interest sitting at Chase.
index245

Post by index245 »

Okay. You might need to sign up for one of the better (IMO) cards. Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve. Yes, $95 fee (preferred). But you'll get a sign up bonus if you can meet spending requirements. You'll add 60K points, but more importantly, can wipe out grocery and gas station at 1.25 cpp. The categories may change after 6/30. Or disappear.

Once you've cleared out the points, cancel the card (after one year). Then move on to a card that probably suits you better (cash back, such as the Fidelity 2% or Capital One Silver).

Ultimate rewards points are maximized through travel. If you don't travel, pay yourself back. Then move on to a cash back credit card.

My family travels and gets good value from these cards. It is certainly user-specific though.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

fyre4ce wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:48 pm

Thank you!

60k-80k points oneway for business class. The airlines have devalued the points significantly otherwise I have flown business roundtrip for less than 80k points on united.

If you can get business for 60-80k one way that is a good deal (on star alliance). That's like $600-$800 for a business class ticket - one way.

If you are having trouble, look at the adjacent cities. E.g. for me flying to Vienna was over 100k miles vs. Budapest. They are only about 2-3 hrs apart by train.
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Theseus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:04 pm 60k-80k points oneway for business class. The airlines have devalued the points significantly otherwise I have flown business roundtrip for less than 80k points on united.

If you can get business for 60-80k one way that is a good deal (on star alliance). That's like $600-$800 for a business class ticket - one way.

If you are having trouble, look at the adjacent cities. E.g. for me flying to Vienna was over 100k miles vs. Budapest. They are only about 2-3 hrs apart by train.
Thanks. Do you just look on united.com? For this flight I looked at all the frequent flier programs that Chase would let me transfer points to (KLM Flying Blue, Virgin Atlantic, etc.) and some required me to set up accounts with them before they would show me fare prices in miles. It would have been nice to search in just one place, but as I mentioned, AwardHacker came up short. The best economy fares I found were 60k + some cash r/t with one stop, which was only marginally cheaper than the $1,200 nonstop. I'll be traveling with a 4 y/o and a lap infant (very large - 30 lb), and by my estimation nonstop in economy might actually be preferable to business class with one stop, a 3 hr layover, and going through customs. Maybe it will change as they get older.
Topic Author
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

index245 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:56 pm

Okay. You might need to sign up for one of the better (IMO) cards. Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve. Yes, $95 fee (preferred). But you'll get a sign up bonus if you can meet spending requirements. You'll add 60K points, but more importantly, can wipe out grocery and gas station at 1.25 cpp. The categories may change after 6/30. Or disappear.

Once you've cleared out the points, cancel the card (after one year). Then move on to a card that probably suits you better (cash back, such as the Fidelity 2% or Capital One Silver).

Ultimate rewards points are maximized through travel. If you don't travel, pay yourself back. Then move on to a cash back credit card.

My family travels and gets good value from these cards. It is certainly user-specific though.

I do have sapphire preferred.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Rainier wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:20 am

Chase dialed back the higher pay yourself back redemption options, especially if you don't have a premium card. I would keep an eye out for what will happen on July 1 when they tend to change things. You could also look and see if there are gift card discounts that are of value to you. If you don't travel then that is probably the only way to get more than 1 cent per point.
Chase is updating Ultimate Rewards on July 1st?? Could you please site the link so I can dig deeper. Thanks!
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
index245

Post by index245 »

newyorker wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 pm
index245 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:56 pm

I do have sapphire preferred.
My mistake, you'd need the Reserve to get 1.25. Unless you need the cash, I'd just hold on to the points until you travel. Weddings, funerals, graduations, family emergencies....usually we're all forced to travel at some point. Transfer to hyatt or pay through the chase portal. Or transfer to Southwest or United if you need an airline ticket. You'll get >= 1.5 ccp.

If it is too annoying to let them sit....cash out at 1 ccp and get a new credit card (Fidelity Visa or one of the B of A cards).
buzzz_buzzz_buzzz

Post by buzzz_buzzz_buzzz »

fyre4ce wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:07 pm
Theseus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:04 pm 60k-80k points oneway for business class. The airlines have devalued the points significantly otherwise I have flown business roundtrip for less than 80k points on united.

Thanks. Do you just look on united.com? For this flight I looked at all the frequent flier programs that Chase would let me transfer points to (KLM Flying Blue, Virgin Atlantic, etc.) and some required me to set up accounts with them before they would show me fare prices in miles. It would have been nice to search in just one place, but as I mentioned, AwardHacker came up short. The best economy fares I found were 60k + some cash r/t with one stop, which was only marginally cheaper than the $1,200 nonstop. I'll be traveling with a 4 y/o and a lap infant (very large - 30 lb), and by my estimation nonstop in economy might actually be preferable to business class with one stop, a 3 hr layover, and going through customs. Maybe it will change as they get older.
United is not great value for international travel anymore. They just increased the points needed for international travel to Europe last month and to Asia last week. Points.me is better than Roame and AwardHacker, but I’d recommend just making accounts with all the transfer partners — it’s worth it.
rm

Post by rm »

In order to use Chase points do you have to book via chase portal. For instance,
a) For domestic travel, I use kayak and go to the website which is cheapest eg. UA/AA etc and just buy on the website. if I go through chase portal will i get the same price as kayak/website.
b) I typically use economy, premium economy - would I still get the ~1.25x or is that only for biz class.

Thank you
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

rm wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:48 pm In order to use Chase points do you have to book via chase portal. For instance,
a) For domestic travel, I use kayak and go to the website which is cheapest eg. UA/AA etc and just buy on the website. if I go through chase portal will i get the same price as kayak/website.
b) I typically use economy, premium economy - would I still get the ~1.25x or is that only for biz class.

Thank you
To get the $0.0125/pt rate you have to go through the portal. Flight pricing is competitive so you should be able to get the same price through Chase that you’d get through Kayak. Hotel prices are a bit more hit and miss. You get the $0.0125 on any class of travel as long as it’s booked through the Chase portal. If you’re any to book through Kayak you’d have to redeem for cashback at $0.01/pt.
FinancetoMD

Post by FinancetoMD »

Thank you for this post! Didn’t realize Hyatt was such a good transfer deal. Just used 50k points to book 2 nights in a room that would have been $1500.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

srt7 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:43 pm
Chase is updating Ultimate Rewards on July 1st?? Could you please site the link so I can dig deeper. Thanks!
I'm not saying there is going to be a change in the program but possibly new categories to "pay yourself back." Right not I can redeem at 1.25x for groceries and gas stations by 6/30/23 on my Reserve card. That implies that the categories or pay yourself back is changing on 7/1.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

fyre4ce wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:07 pm

Since I am in city with major united hub (DC), I just look there. The star alliance has a fairly big presence here as most of them fly to DC (Austrian, Lufthansa and so on). Since I mostly travel solo I don't mind a stopover. Also, UA doesn't have insane fees like British Airways and others. Usually it is $15-$40 even for business. But I have booked economy non-stop for 30k one way (may it's available to me since I have a Gold status with UA) to Paris, booked in March for May travel.

In your case, considering you have a 4 year old and an infant, it may be better to fly premium economy to have both kids right next to you. International premium economy is much better on UA and Delta. If that's too much, see if there is economy plus. That may be better than economy. I know it costs more but convenience and service will make up for it and you will land there less stressed.

BTW, if you ever choose a stopover, consider avoiding LHR and FRA if at all possible. MUC, VIE, Zurich are much better. Smaller airports and easy to get through.
rm

Post by rm »

Ok, so I don't get it

I logged into the chase website for a trip booking. The cost of the flight was $580 (domestic) economy. It takes 58,000 points.
So if I had taken cash for the points, I would have gotten $580 and used that to pay for the ticket. So I didn't see any benefit at all to use chase portal and use the points through that.

Do I need to upgrade to sapphire? Or do I have to buy business class tickets and there I will see difference between the price and points needed for that price.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

rm wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:15 pm Ok, so I don't get it

I logged into the chase website for a trip booking. The cost of the flight was $580 (domestic) economy. It takes 58,000 points.
So if I had taken cash for the points, I would have gotten $580 and used that to pay for the ticket. So I didn't see any benefit at all to use chase portal and use the points through that.

Do I need to upgrade to sapphire? Or do I have to buy business class tickets and there I will see difference between the price and points needed for that price.
yes, sapphire preferred is 1.25 cents/point, reserve 1.5
safari

Post by safari »

I just discovered that my Chase Ink Business Cash card had a promotion that would give me 10% more in points value when redeeming points for "Pay Yourself Back" for internet, cable and phone service purchases. I use that card for that category spending already, since it gives me 5% cashback on that, so being able to get an extra 10% was nice. I don't have a Sapphire card, so that was the best use of Chase points for me.
hiddenpower

Post by hiddenpower »

They used to have a nice cashout 1.5x multiplier with restaurants using the CSR but I think they got rid of that. I also have a lot built up and have been hoarding. Not sure what to do just yet.