any views on Mass Mutual RetireEase

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
rgs

any views on Mass Mutual RetireEase

Post by rgs »

I got a 5Y period certain SPIA from Mass Mutual (product called RetireEase), it is FI annuity. I did some level of home work prior to buying this product. When they issued the policy, much to my chagrin, they had changed the "5Y period certain" to a "life time with 5Y guarantee". When I pointed this out, they got this corrected and issued a new policy.

When I login to their portal, the "value" shows as zero although rest of the details (like premium paid, monthly payment starting on 01/01/24 are all correct). I am guessing this is normal for SPIA products?

Lately logging into their site has been a challenge, the URL more often than not doesn't work.

All of these snafu's are bit of a surprise to me given that they are a large insurance (not sure if this is related but looks like they outsource good part of this to a company called Zinnia in Kansas City).

Does anyone have experience with Mass Mutual annuity products? If they are good with their on-time payments and all? Or any experience with RetireEase?

Thanks!
Stinky

Re: any views on Mass Mutual RetireEase

Post by Stinky »

rgs wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:33 pm I got a 5Y period certain SPIA from Mass Mutual (product called RetireEase), it is FI annuity. I did some level of home work prior to buying this product. When they issued the policy, much to my chagrin, they had changed the "5Y period certain" to a "life time with 5Y guarantee". When I pointed this out, they got this corrected and issued a new policy.

When I login to their portal, the "value" shows as zero although rest of the details (like premium paid, monthly payment starting on 01/01/24 are all correct). I am guessing this is normal for SPIA products?

Lately logging into their site has been a challenge, the URL more often than not doesn't work.

All of these snafu's are bit of a surprise to me given that they are a large insurance (not sure if this is related but looks like they outsource good part of this to a company called Zinnia in Kansas City).

Does anyone have experience with Mass Mutual annuity products? If they are good with their on-time payments and all? Or any experience with RetireEase?

Thanks!
The account value shows up as zero probably because there is no surrender value with a SPIA.

I don’t have any personal experience with Mass Mutual customer service. I do know that Mass Mutual is one of the largest and strongest life insurance companies in this country.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Topic Author
rgs

Re: any views on Mass Mutual RetireEase

Post by rgs »

Stinky wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:09 pm
rgs wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:33 pm I got a 5Y period certain SPIA from Mass Mutual (product called RetireEase), it is FI annuity. I did some level of home work prior to buying this product. When they issued the policy, much to my chagrin, they had changed the "5Y period certain" to a "life time with 5Y guarantee". When I pointed this out, they got this corrected and issued a new policy.

Thanks!
The account value shows up as zero probably because there is no surrender value with a SPIA.

I don’t have any personal experience with Mass Mutual customer service. I do know that Mass Mutual is one of the largest and strongest life insurance companies in this country.
Thank you Stinky, I did make some progress. The landing page (still part of MM) works fine, when I click on the "Annuity Contract" this takes me to what looks like Zinnia's servers. Specifically the issue looks to be with clicking on the payout value, this throws an error (from a method called GetPayeeInfo, again likely due to the fact that the payments haven't started). Just a bit surprised that they would expose this to the end user.