Do you tip at Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Do you tip at Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts?

Post by tennisplyr »

Is tipping at these coffee shops common, my wife says she always leaves a tip.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
TheTimeLord

Re: Do you tip at Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts?

Post by TheTimeLord »

I tip at Starbucks.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Oh geez another tipping question. I don't do Starbucks so that one is easy. I don't think I've ever tipped at Dunkin either. Technically the name is Dunkin without Doughnuts although that is a hard habit to break.

To many take out/fast-ish places are asking for tips. I don't tip at Burger King either.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I tip at a local coffee shop (local roaster). They have a self-service area with regular coffee for those of us who don't drink contaminated coffee drinks. The nominal price is less than a whole dollar amount so I normally round up and leave dollars in the slot provided.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Tip whenever you feel like you got good service or when you feel like you have more than enough or both.
student

Post by student »

No. I don't tip at these places. In general, I follow Emily Post on food services tipping. https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

tennisplyr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:08 am Is tipping at these coffee shops common, my wife says she always leaves a tip.
If the total order gets above 10 I feel I should and I do.
Otherwise no.
I am not sure if its just me but starbucks has messed up more drinks in last two years than they used to, earlier.
DD I don't.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

No no no
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Not usually, but occasionally I do it as a nice gesture. Maybe 20% of the time?

No, I don't think it's common.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

If there's a tip jar, I tip.

I haven't paid much attention but I think there is, or usually is one at Starbucks.

I have an idea I haven't seen them at Dunkin' Donuts. Might depend on the franchise.

According to Bloomberg, the company is still Dunkin' Donuts LLC and merely styles itself as Dunkin. And why yes, I do think it has been going downhill ever since they quit baking them in-store. I'm trying to remember how long it's been since they had the little handle on them that justified the name "Dunkin'".
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I don’t frequent those places but if I did I wouldn’t tip.
brawlrats

Post by brawlrats »

I don't usually go to Starbucks, but last week was travelling for work and my colleague and I went to the SB's for quick breakfast before work. We both ordered hot breakfast sandwiches and drinks, so I tipped $2 each day. I would not have tipped if it was just a standard issue coffee.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Sometimes, although the cost of a cup of coffee should easily cover labor cost
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

My Dunkin has a tip jar. My coffee and donut come to $4.05. I usually put some of the change I get in it. Sometimes I add a dollar.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Dunkin's hasn't been the same since they retired the chocolate kruller so I rarely go. I just looked it up - that was 20 years ago :shock:
I typically tip at these places if they are freindly and quick with service.
nhs76

Post by nhs76 »

Sometimes I'll toss a tip into the counter jar, but I object to fast food places showing a 15% 18% 20% suggested tip in their credit card reader. Who knows if the kids (or, not just kids) who work there even get it. That feels like extra franchise owner or corporate profit. A regular restaurant's check the other day had suggested tips of 20% 22% 25%. I often tip 20% or a bit more for table service, but that day I went lower.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

I always love when I meet up with someone from Europe and they just are in disbelief about how insane the pervasiveness of tipping culture is here. It’s like they walked into something that boggles their mind. And I have to say I agree with them - needless complexity because businesses realized they could use behavioral psychology to extract more cash at the till.

I mostly add tips now for only complex orders, special requests, or places I frequent where I like the staff.
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

A cup of coffee costs $6 at SB? No.
windaar

Post by windaar »

I don't see the difference between giving a bartender a buck for getting a beer from the tap and handing it to me, and giving a buck to a barista at Starbucks for making me a latte. I don't tip at McDonald's or Taco Bell because I'm doing the ordering off of a confusing kiosk, they're just putting my order together assembly-line style for $15/hour, and they get my order wrong at least 50% of the time.
Nobody knows nothing.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I don't tip at any local coffee shop (or any coffee shop), for better or worse. I already think I am doing a lot for the business by buying a $5 latte
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

9-5 Suited wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:20 pm I always love when I meet up with someone from Europe and they just are in disbelief about how insane the pervasiveness of tipping culture is here. It’s like they walked into something that boggles their mind.
That's because the compensation system is different
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
warner25

Post by warner25 »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:18 amI'm trying to remember how long it's been since they had the little handle on them that justified the name "Dunkin'".
Whoa, I grew up in the northeast and have an extraordinary fondness for Dunkin' Donuts - like to the point of eating it for three meals per day if I'm traveling by myself where it's available (now that I no longer live there) - and I didn't know about this. I'm reading that they discontinued it in 2003, at which time it was available in only some locations; I don't see where or how many. I wasn't old enough to start buying my own food with my own money until that time, so I suppose that's how I missed it.

I'm also reading that as of 2016, you could still get something similar at Dunkin' Donuts in Singapore. When I lived in South Korea, the Dunkin' Donuts menu was a like an alternate universe, with all sorts of odd-shaped (like different animals) and odd-flavored (potato, onion, etc.) offerings.
PVW

Post by PVW »

windaar wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:53 pm I don't see the difference between giving a bartender a buck for getting a beer from the tap and handing it to me, and giving a buck to a barista at Starbucks for making me a latte.
You can stretch that idea to almost any service job. Tipping is a cultural norm and bartenders have traditionally been tipped employees. It seems the cultural norm for tipping is expanding to more counter staff.

I'm waiting for the day when restaurants stop hiring staff and just use volunteers that work for tips. Then I can cook and clean up after myself just like home.
joechristmas

Post by joechristmas »

I never tip for counter service of any kind. So, I do not/will not tip at Starbucks.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

lillycat wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:38 pm A cup of coffee costs $6 at SB? No.
No it doesn't. A regular coffee is $2.65 at SB and $2.19 at Dunkin.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

If I am standing at a counter when I order, I do not tip.

Post by 3000 »

I do not.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

nhs76 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:07 pm Sometimes I'll toss a tip into the counter jar, but I object to fast food places showing a 15% 18% 20% suggested tip in their credit card reader. Who knows if the kids (or, not just kids) who work there even get it. That feels like extra franchise owner or corporate profit. A regular restaurant's check the other day had suggested tips of 20% 22% 25%. I often tip 20% or a bit more for table service, but that day I went lower.
Not long ago, I saw a high schooler order a dozen donuts, run a credit card to pay, and then select the 20% tip option on the machine. It made me wonder if that’s now a standard practice for young people (?), since they’ve grown up universally seeing machines’ tip prompts as if it’s expected. Who knows…
warner25

Post by warner25 »

PVW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:24 pm I'm waiting for the day when restaurants stop hiring staff and just use volunteers that work for tips.
At US military commissaries (on-base grocery stores, both in and outside the US), there are normally dozens of people (not employees) who hang out by the registers to bag groceries and carry them to cars for tips only. I'm not sure about the legal arrangement - I guess they aren't subject to state law, at least - but they are a recognized part of the system, licensed to work by the base commander.

At restaurants, the trend actually seems to be in the other direction, with many states now requiring them to pay staff the full minimum wage before tips. It's unclear to me if this means that servers in, say, California, are earning a lot more than servers in, say, Massachusetts, because everyone is certainly still asking for tips everywhere. If anyone can explain how this works in practice, I'm interested.
Last edited by warner25 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I'm going to start putting my Venmo QR code in my signature incase anyone wants to tip me for my postings here.

If I order and pick up my food at a counter, I don't tip.
wilked

Post by wilked »

GreendaleCC wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:44 pm
nhs76 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:07 pm Sometimes I'll toss a tip into the counter jar, but I object to fast food places showing a 15% 18% 20% suggested tip in their credit card reader. Who knows if the kids (or, not just kids) who work there even get it. That feels like extra franchise owner or corporate profit. A regular restaurant's check the other day had suggested tips of 20% 22% 25%. I often tip 20% or a bit more for table service, but that day I went lower.
Not long ago, I saw a high schooler order a dozen donuts, run a credit card to pay, and then select the 20% tip option on the machine. It made me wonder if that’s now a standard practice for young people (?), since they’ve grown up universally seeing machines’ tip prompts as if it’s expected. Who knows…
I suppose it helps when it's not your credit card...
warner25

Post by warner25 »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:48 pm I'm going to start putting my Venmo QR code in my signature incase anyone wants to tip me for my postings here.
I'm reminded of developers of some heavily-used free and open-source software projects who've put a "buy me a coffee" button on their webpage, and say that it gets them only a handful of coffees per year. Clearly, tipping only happens as a function of social pressure during in-person interactions.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 pm Dunkin's hasn't been the same since they retired the chocolate kruller so I rarely go. I just looked it up - that was 20 years ago :shock:
Retired the chocolate kruller? I recently had one at a Dunkin in Everett, MA. It wasn’t anywhere near as good as it used to be, but they had them. It was only $1 as an add on bonus to a coffee order. I didn’t tip, though.
WapelloHawk

Post by WapelloHawk »

To tip or not tip on a $5 coffee at Starbucks does not seem like a BH-type topic.
CC1E

Post by CC1E »

eddot98 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:14 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 pm Dunkin's hasn't been the same since they retired the chocolate kruller so I rarely go. I just looked it up - that was 20 years ago :shock:
Retired the chocolate kruller? I recently had one at a Dunkin in Everett, MA. It wasn’t anywhere near as good as it used to be, but they had them. It was only $1 as an add on bonus to a coffee order. I didn’t tip, though.
Probably a chocolate “stick” which many people still call crullers. I haven’t seen a real cruller at DD, chocolate or otherwise, in a long time! Just the sticks.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

eddot98 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:14 pm
That was a chocolate stick you bought or a chocolate dipped donut with a Cruller design - not a real Chocalate cruller. They were discontinued because they had to be hand twisted. It's probably good you don't know what you are missing. It was the best thing they had.

http://archive.boston.com/ae/food/artic ... uel_twist/
Last edited by SmileyFace on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

WapelloHawk wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:17 pm To tip or not tip on a $5 coffee at Starbucks does not seem like a BH-type topic.
You’d be surprised at how banal the topics can get
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I would normally not as they are providing counter service and making over min wage. Dunkin' Donuts is a new one and definitely no there. What's next, tipping at McDonald's? :-)
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

No, I don't tip at coffee/donut shops or fast food. Starbucks charges enough as-is.

I do tip for carry out food from dine-in restaurants. Normally $1 per person in the order, certainly not 20%. e.g. If I order carry out for myself, I'll tip $1 when picking it up.

Normal carry out only food like pizza, no, I don't tip.
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

Venti Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino
not financial advice
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Nope, never. But that's probably because I never patronize these establishments.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Post by 3000 »

chinchin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:44 pm
Venti Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino
The first time I went into a Starbucks I asked for a medium regular and the barista replied back that I wanted a tall blonde. I have since learned the lingo.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

wilked wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:50 pm
I suppose it helps when it's not your credit card...
Yes, that goes without saying :happy
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

jebmke wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:27 pm
WapelloHawk wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:17 pm To tip or not tip on a $5 coffee at Starbucks does not seem like a BH-type topic.
You’d be surprised at how banal the topics can get
Yes, this seems like the ultimate BH-type topic.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Nope.
aboose

Post by aboose »

I don't tip if I'm not being served to my seat in some way.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

livesoft wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:45 pm Nope, never. But that's probably because I never patronize these establishments.
Oh livesoft - next holiday season, just for a little treat, go in or drive through Starbucks & order a hot Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino - I'll pay :D
student

Post by student »

windaar wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:53 pm I don't see the difference between giving a bartender a buck for getting a beer from the tap and handing it to me, and giving a buck to a barista at Starbucks for making me a latte. I don't tip at McDonald's or Taco Bell because I'm doing the ordering off of a confusing kiosk, they're just putting my order together assembly-line style for $15/hour, and they get my order wrong at least 50% of the time.
Are bartender tipped employees like waiters or do they get "normal" wages like those at Starbucks?
student

Post by student »

I wonder whether he/she is using his/her own money or parents' money.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:14 pm
livesoft wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:45 pm Nope, never. But that's probably because I never patronize these establishments.
Oh livesoft - next holiday season, just for a little treat, go in or drive through Starbucks & order a hot Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino - I'll pay :D
Noted. Thanks! :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.