HSA question - Have not received 1099-SA

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Hopalong

HSA question - Have not received 1099-SA

Post by Hopalong »

Hello,

The instructions for the 1099-SA state to not report a trustee-to-trustee transfer from one HSA to another HSA, but you do have to report a rollover.

At the end of 2022 I created a new HSA account with Fidelity and had them initiate a transfer of an HSA I had at a local bank to the new one at Fidelity. They handled everything and a check was never mailed to me. I always thought of rollover and transfer as being the same thing in regard to 401k's, IRAs, and profit-sharing plans, but it appears that technically this would be considered a transfer.

I had the HSA for a few years but have never made any withdrawals from it.

I am getting ready to file my 2022 taxes and wondering if I should have received a 1099-SA or any other documentation from the original bank with the HSA or am I good to go with the transfer completed and no other documentation is needed or to be expected?
earflop

Re: HSA question - Have not received 1099-SA

Post by earflop »

Was the check made payable to you or to Fidelity?

If the check was made payable to Fidelity, then it's considered a trustee-to-trustee transfer and is not reportable.

If the check was made payable to you and you did a 60 day rollover, you need to report this since it's limited to once per year. See https://thefinancebuff.com/how-to-rollo ... r-fee.html and scroll down to the 1099-SA section.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (taxes).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

I've never reported rollovers of HSAs but they've always been direct transfers from institution to institution. You should have received your 1099 from the institution that accepted your contributions. Did you contribute to it from your paycheck directly? If so, the amount will probably be on your paycheck. Going forward, your Fidelity tax forms will be available on its website.