What a car repair experience!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
2Scoops

Re: What a car repair experience!

Post by 2Scoops »

Hey OP - sorry about the troubles you've gone through. I've read every word of the thread and agree that the path you are going down doesn't have a ton of value. Seems like you've already a ton of time and mental energy in this. Nobody likes feeling taken advantage of but, at the end of the day, your car wasn't working and now it is.....which was the goal. Did you pay too much because they mis-diagnosed the repair? Maybe. Did you get a rebuilt part instead of a new one? Maybe. I just can't see any reason to sink any more time in to this unless the money is desperately needed.

If the money is really needed, I would simply call the owner of the store and politely ask for a credit for part of the amount. Nothing more, nothing less..

I ordered delivery food for the family yesterday and the restaurant left off an item. They made a mistake. It's okay.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

2Scoops wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:43 am Hey OP - sorry about the troubles you've gone through. I've read every word of the thread and agree that the path you are going down doesn't have a ton of value. Seems like you've already a ton of time and mental energy in this. Nobody likes feeling taken advantage of but, at the end of the day, your car wasn't working and now it is.....which was the goal. Did you pay too much because they mis-diagnosed the repair? Maybe. Did you get a rebuilt part instead of a new one? Maybe. I just can't see any reason to sink any more time in to this unless the money is desperately needed.

If the money is really needed, I would simply call the owner of the store and politely ask for a credit for part of the amount. Nothing more, nothing less..

I ordered delivery food for the family yesterday and the restaurant left off an item. They made a mistake. It's okay.
Agree. I read the original and all responses and I had two thoughts: 1) goal of functioning car achieved, and 2) OP values their time far less than I value mine
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I read every one of OP's posts in this thread. Holy Toledo Batman!

All I can say is...it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. Nothing to see here. OP's truck wouldn't start while OP was on a trip. Towed to a repair shop late in the afternoon and after the battery was tested OP approved the installation of a new alternator and battery. The next morning the OP changed his mind but the work was underway....too late. When the work was complete around noon, OP's truck started up right away, he paid $750 and left. Now he has "buyer's remorse".

Since then, OP went to numerous repair shops seeking "opinions" from other mechanics without success. OP now thinks he probably didn't need a new alternator but he doesn't have any evidence or facts upon which to conclude that...just his suspicions. So he ended up here on Bogleheads to post this most interesting "narrative" of his travails.

I agree, OP should move on. He has no recourse or remedy here based upon his mere suspicion or speculation that he didn't really need a new alternator. OP should not have approved that work if he had doubts, but he made the decision to tell the repair shop to replace the alternator and battery. Now he will simply need to live with the consequences (which are frankly very de minimus). Perhaps he should be pleased that while he was traveling the repair shop was able to fix his truck early in the morning after being towed in late the day before. Based upon his description of how busy the other shops were where he sought opinions after the repair, the speed of getting him back on the road should have some value in and of itself.

And if OP is able to put this behind him, he can perhaps move on to writing novels, short stories or other creative written communication where his flair for the dramatic written word can be put to use to bring in additional income! :happy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

+1

:sharebeer
DA
Topic Author
Janclam

Post by Janclam »

galawdawg wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 am I read every one of OP's posts in this thread. Holy Toledo Batman!

All I can say is...it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. Nothing to see here. OP's truck wouldn't start while OP was on a trip. Towed to a repair shop late in the afternoon and after the battery was tested OP approved the installation of a new alternator and battery. The next morning the OP changed his mind but the work was underway....too late. When the work was complete around noon, OP's truck started up right away, he paid $750 and left. Now he has "buyer's remorse".

Since then, OP went to numerous repair shops seeking "opinions" from other mechanics without success. OP now thinks he probably didn't need a new alternator but he doesn't have any evidence or facts upon which to conclude that...just his suspicions. So he ended up here on Bogleheads to post this most interesting "narrative" of his travails.

I agree, OP should move on. He has no recourse or remedy here based upon his mere suspicion or speculation that he didn't really need a new alternator. OP should not have approved that work if he had doubts, but he made the decision to tell the repair shop to replace the alternator and battery. Now he will simply need to live with the consequences (which are frankly very de minimus). Perhaps he should be pleased that while he was traveling the repair shop was able to fix his truck early in the morning after being towed in late the day before. Based upon his description of how busy the other shops were where he sought opinions after the repair, the speed of getting him back on the road should have some value in and of itself.

And if OP is able to put this behind him, he can perhaps move on to writing novels, short stories or other creative written communication where his flair for the dramatic written word can be put to use to bring in additional income! :happy
How could you have "read" all the posts but totally missed the main points.

Based on everything written earlier, the mechanic obviously did not test the alternator
in any valid way,
and could not possibly conclude that it was "bad"...in fact he said he's 100% sure when I asked him "how sure".
Please tell me how you can
reliably diagnose a bad alternator just by hooking up a meter to an obviously bad battery.

But the MAIN POINT is that they (very likely) replaced my good alternator with an unknown rebuilt
UNIDENTIFIABLE one....based on all the evidence so far. (two mechanics have said it's an unidentifiable
rebuilt alternator....and just to remind you...I clearly stated at the time of the repair that is
the OPPOSITE of what I want).

Another fairly important point you missed: My decision to NOT pay an extra $60 to "get back" my old (most
likely near-perfect) denso alternator was based on the assumption that i now have a new denso alternator
(which is specifically what I ordered) so it's unlikely I'll need a backup
since this "new denso" should be extremely reliable in the future. Obviously, since I
now have an unreliable alternator (due to lies from the mechanic) I should have "bought back" the old one.
All of that was in my previous posts....you missed that.

I won't bother to recount the many smaller points you missed.
Last edited by Janclam on Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
safari

Post by safari »

Janclam wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:31 am
michaelingp wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:41 pm
Janclam wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:18 pm
safari wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:45 am Yes, you got ripped off, but how much time are you willing to spend on this with a little chance of getting any money back? My advice is to put it behind you and move on with your life. Consider it a lesson learned.

I'm starting to think i do want invest more time on this...if and when I can find mechanics (or maybe a parts-store people??))
who will honestly write (the truth of course, if that's what they conclude) something like: "In my opinion, the part is not a new Denso.....etc. etc...
......Identifying info. has been scraped off.....etc.."
Good for you! Just because the average BH on this forum wouldn't pursue this, doesn't mean you shouldn't. I think I would try to get the interest of the State Police. In Maryland, where I live, they are responsible for monitoring dishonest mechanics. They are mostly interested in the State Inspection program, and I believe they run stings and such if they think a mechanic is either passing cars that shouldn't pass (bribes) or telling people they need more work than they do (fraud). I would also start with the Office of Attorney General, Consumer Affairs section. At very least they can compare your experience with other reports about this mechanic. At best, if they think a crime has been committed, perhaps they will pay for the cost of removing the new alternator and analyzing its origin. Or they might tell you it's not worth investigating (but you'll have to read between the lines to get that message). The reason I said earlier that they will get caught eventually, is that I've seen this happen near me, although it's pretty rare. Someone, like you, decides it *is* worth their time, and the State Police investigate the shop and find fraud and thievery and shut them down.

Hmmm...i never thought of that..thanks....Most of the "just move on" (I love cliches by the way) responders on this thread haven't even read the details that I provided.....(since my first post was too long)....so it's easier to just say "just forget about it...lesson learned"...hahaha..
I've actually read your original post in its entirety and every one of your replies, which led me to conclude that you've invested too much time into it already, but regardless of what the majority of posters are advising you, you've already made up your mind and will continue pursuing it with minimal chances of getting any payoff, which is a classic example of the sunk costs fallacy. You let your emotions take over the rational thinking to the point it became an obsession.

The "new Denso" handwritten note on the invoice doesn't necessarily mean "brand new," as it can also be interpreted as "replacement." When a mechanic tells you, "you need a new alternator," that doesn't mean that you need a brand new part - it means that your old part went bad and needs to be replaced. You have no real proof, just your suspicions. I empathize with you, and I truly believe that you were most likely ripped off, but you have to put your emotions aside and look at the facts, which are not in your favor.
Last edited by safari on Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Janclam wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:54 am
galawdawg wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 am I read every one of OP's posts in this thread. Holy Toledo Batman!

Based on everything written earlier, the mechanic obviously did not test the alternator
in any valid way,
and could not possibly conclude that it was "bad". Please tell me how you can
diagnose a bad alternator just by hooking up a meter to an obviously bad battery.

But the MAIN POINT is that they (very likely) replaced my good alternator with an unknown rebuilt
UNIDENTIFIABLE one....based on all the evidence so far. (two mechanics have said it's an unidentifiable
rebuilt alternator....and just to remind you...I clearly stated at the time of the repair that is

You can't always get what you want (x3), but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need. I really think you got what you need here.
Devil's Advocate

Kagord wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:06 am

in any valid way,
diagnose a bad alternator just by hooking up a meter to an obviously bad battery.

You can't always get what you want (x3), but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need. I really think you got what you need here.
Nice Mick J.
Topic Author
Janclam

Post by Janclam »

safari wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:06 am
Janclam wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:31 am
michaelingp wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:41 pm
Janclam wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:18 pm
safari wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:45 am Yes, you got ripped off, but how much time are you willing to spend on this with a little chance of getting any money back? My advice is to put it behind you and move on with your life. Consider it a lesson learned.

I'm starting to think i do want invest more time on this...if and when I can find mechanics (or maybe a parts-store people??))
who will honestly write (the truth of course, if that's what they conclude) something like: "In my opinion, the part is not a new Denso.....etc. etc...
......Identifying info. has been scraped off.....etc.."
Good for you! Just because the average BH on this forum wouldn't pursue this, doesn't mean you shouldn't. I think I would try to get the interest of the State Police. In Maryland, where I live, they are responsible for monitoring dishonest mechanics. They are mostly interested in the State Inspection program, and I believe they run stings and such if they think a mechanic is either passing cars that shouldn't pass (bribes) or telling people they need more work than they do (fraud). I would also start with the Office of Attorney General, Consumer Affairs section. At very least they can compare your experience with other reports about this mechanic. At best, if they think a crime has been committed, perhaps they will pay for the cost of removing the new alternator and analyzing its origin. Or they might tell you it's not worth investigating (but you'll have to read between the lines to get that message). The reason I said earlier that they will get caught eventually, is that I've seen this happen near me, although it's pretty rare. Someone, like you, decides it *is* worth their time, and the State Police investigate the shop and find fraud and thievery and shut them down.

Hmmm...i never thought of that..thanks....Most of the "just move on" (I love cliches by the way) responders on this thread haven't even read the details that I provided.....(since my first post was too long)....so it's easier to just say "just forget about it...lesson learned"...hahaha..
I've actually read your original post in its entirety and every one of your replies, which led me to conclude that you've invested too much time into it already, but regardless of what the majority of posters are advising you, you've already made up your mind and will continue pursuing it with minimal chances of getting any payoff, which is a classic example of the sunk costs fallacy. You let your emotions take over the rational thinking to the point it became an obsession.

The "new Denso" handwritten note on the invoice doesn't necessarily mean "brand new," as it can also be interpreted as "replacement." When a mechanic tells you, "you need a new alternator," that doesn't mean that you need a brand new part - it means that your old part went bad and needs to be replaced. You have no real proof, just your suspicions. I empathize with you, and I truly believe that you were most likely ripped off, but you have to put your emotions aside and look at the facts, which are not in your favor.
Thanks...But at the earliest stage, I clearly told the mechanic that I absolutely do not want
any rebuilt/refurb parts...and he agreed. (I mentioned this in my earlier post). When he gave me the receipt
to sign, I told him to add some words to reflect what he actually gave me (rather than just "alternator")....so he wrote
what I told him to write: "new denso..."). So that's how those words got on the receipt. (I mentioned that in an earlier post...
I certainly don't expect people to remember all these little details though..but all these little details to add up).
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Janclam wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:54 am How could you have "read" all the posts but totally missed the main points.

in any valid way,

Another fairly important point you missed: My decision to NOT pay an extra $60 to "get back" my old (most
likely near-perfect) denso alternator was based on the assumption that i now have a new denso alternator
(which is specifically what I ordered) so it's unlikely I'll need a backup
since this "new denso" should be extremely reliable in the future. Obviously, since I
now have an unreliable alternator (due to lies from the mechanic) I should have "bought back" the old one.
All of that was in my previous posts....you missed that.

Holy Hamlet, Batman....the saga continues!

I did indeed read every word, including the many irrelevant ones! And I saw the points you were endeavoring to make. As a lawyer with thirty years of experience litigating cases, I rarely have difficulty separating the wheat from the chaff even when it is mostly chaff. And I suspect that the other Bogleheads who also said they read every word did just that. But rather than accept that some of us hold a different opinion than your own, you clearly prefer to classify those opinions as being uninformed (or worse). While you are new to Bogleheads and very welcome here, you should be aware that accusing one or more Bogleheads of being dishonest about actually reading what they said they read is probably not something that would make it into Dale Carnegie's book "How to Win Friends and Influence People." :|

You clearly regret the way you handled your vehicle breakdown. Did you need a new alternator? Who knows. Despite your apparent doubts, you nonetheless approved the installation of a replacement alternator and chose not to retain the old one. Did you get a new alternator, a rebuilt alternator or a remanufactured alternator? Do you know the difference between rebuilt (which you said you didn't want) and remanufactured? If the shop owner was able to show you proof that it was remanufactured (and not rebuilt), are you going to let this drop?

But for argument's sake let's assume for a minute that you are correct; that you said you didn't want a rebuilt alternator and they installed a rebuilt alternator. If you sue the shop and win, what are your measure of damages? Your damages would be the difference in value between the rebuilt part and a new or remanufactured part. How much is that? Less than $100. And getting that $100 will require hours of your time and, since you were traveling, you'll need to expend the funds to return to the county where that repair shop is located to actually appear in court. None of that is recoverable in a case such as this. So you are awarded $100...then what? Are you going to buy, and have installed, a brand new Denso alternator?? I just don't see you coming out ahead on this so I believe you should just chalk this up to a life lesson and leave appropriate online reviews if that will make you feel better.

Will a credit card dispute be successful? Probably not. A complaint to the BBB? Likely, no. Small claims court? Perhaps. But, with no disrespect intended, if you go to small claims court and present your case in the manner you have presented your "narrative" in the initial post and follow-ups I can envision that it will not go well for you. One professional tip....don't accuse the judge of not reading your complaint if the judge disagrees with you...that could result in your being the winner of a complimentary stay in the Graybar Hotel, all meals included. :shock:

But it is your time, your money and your life, do with them as you wish. Best of luck! :beer
Devil's Advocate

OP, Are you a engineer by chance?

DA
Teague

Post by Teague »

reliably diagnose a bad alternator just by hooking up a meter to an obviously bad battery.
It's entirely possible to do that and quite easy to do that. A bad battery will not invalidate the following tests:

1. Check DC voltage at battery with engine off.
2. Check DC voltage at battery with engine on.
3. Check AC voltage at battery with engine on.

Test 1:
If voltage 1 and 2 are essentially the same, the alternator is bad.

Test 2:
If voltage 3 is greater than about 500mV, the alternator is bad.
Semper Augustus
fposte

Post by fposte »

OP, I'm thinking of a great Mike Birbiglia routine about when police report error put him, the victim of a drunk driver, on the hook for the cost of the vehicle. After months of indignation and labor his girlfriend says, "You're right, but you're only hurting you."

I believe in the principle of an exit price. It is worth a certain amount of money to me to leave a matter behind me and go on with my life. Not every wrong is worth righting.

I can't judge for you whether this one is worth it or not. But you might want to set a hard limit for yourself on how long you'll pursue it. You really don't want to Inspector Javert yourself into old age about an off-brand alternator.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

Too long to read...............lost interest.

Bet you acquired carpal tunnel from this post!
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Teague wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:36 pm
It's entirely possible to do that and quite easy to do that. A bad battery will not invalidate the following tests:

Yep, it takes but a jiffy to test.

Both times I needed a new alternator my gauges showed we had a problem. The vehicles were both full-size vans, so normal complement of gauges, much preferred to idiot lights. I imagine new vehicles have an abundance of alerts presented. Van is a 2008 model, so gauges and a few idiot lights.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

fposte wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:51 pm OP, I'm thinking of a great Mike Birbiglia routine about when police report error put him, the victim of a drunk driver, on the hook for the cost of the vehicle. After months of indignation and labor his girlfriend says, "You're right, but you're only hurting you."

I believe in the principle of an exit price. It is worth a certain amount of money to me to leave a matter behind me and go on with my life. Not every wrong is worth righting.

I can't judge for you whether this one is worth it or not. But you might want to set a hard limit for yourself on how long you'll pursue it. You really don't want to Inspector Javert yourself into old age about an off-brand alternator.
AKA as the "know when to hold them, and know when to fold them."

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Teague

Post by Teague »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:57 pm
Teague wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:36 pm

Yep, it takes but a jiffy to test.

Both times I needed a new alternator my gauges showed we had a problem. The vehicles were both full-size vans, so normal complement of gauges, much preferred to idiot lights. I imagine new vehicles have an abundance of alerts presented. Van is a 2008 model, so gauges and a few idiot lights.

Broken Man 1999
For completeness I should note that the mentioned tests will not diagnose an alternator with low current output or intermittent failure or failure only under load or only when hot. But they will detect a completely failed alternator, and some cases of diode failure. So these will miss some bad alternators, and that's why we have bench testers. But the above are quick, easy, and will detect a lot of bad alternators.
Semper Augustus
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

OP, Are you a engineer by chance?
Ok, ok, ok. Enough engineer bashing!
On second thought, you could be right. :)

Signed,
Ex. Engineer

OP
If it helps in any way, I've had much worse and more expensive experiences than that with getting proper car service over the years. I could write a book (but won't). My advice is to move on as well. There are bigger fish to fry.
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

OP, I really do sympathize with your situation. I am mad on your behalf if what you think happened really happened the way you believe it did. I hate getting taken and hate when others get taken.

However, how much is your mental sanity and inner peace with you? Wouldn’t it be best to just let it go?

If it were me, I would leave a review and a BBB review and call it a day.

I went through a divorce and really thought it was unfair. But, the truth was, after looking at my options, legal and other, I decided to let it go. I went to counseling. My therapist, a slightly eccentric, but wise older man told me that all of the things that happened to me through the divorce was rotten and I really didn’t seem to deserve that. But he said, you know what? It’s TFB? I said what?? What is TFB? He said its Too Fu&king Bad.

I know that seems callous, but that’s life. Things happen to us that we don’t really deserve. In my view, I think this is where your situation falls. (Easier for me to say!). I wouldn’t blame you for fighting this out of principle, but you may find it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

Best of luck.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

FWIW, it's no problem to test an alternator with the car sitting there running. Super easy. Battery condition is irrelevant. It's easy.

Now, are they all a bunch of liars? Maybe. But they're not lying because they can't test the alternator. They don't have to lie to cover that. It's easy to test it.

Now, OP, you can buy a reasonably useful voltmeter for $5. If you want to. If you get one that plugs into the 12V socket you could monitor it all the time. If you want to.

It is a true fact that the core alternator has go be back in the box. That really is a real thing.
Last edited by firebirdparts on Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This time is the same
JayB

Post by JayB »

I once had a 3-year old Civic whose headlights would randomly dim and the starter would crank slowly at times. The dealer tested the battery (it was OK), and ended up installing a new alternator. Problem persisted. They finally nailed the problem down to faulty grounding where the grounding strap from the battery is bolted to the chassis. And they put my old alternator back in. A difficult experience that ended well.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Devil's Advocate wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:22 pm OP, Are you a engineer by chance?

DA
If he was, he would have fixed the alternator before the battery ran down.
This time is the same
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Gardener wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:33 pm
If it were me, I would leave a review and a BBB review and call it a day.
Here's the thing: There's no evidence that the old alternator was okay, and there's no evidence available to us here that they didn't install a brand new Denso. Seriously. We don't have any actual knowledge to accuse them with, just imagination. They just don't deserve that.
This time is the same
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I do believe that this is a thread that is truly charged and lacking any alternitives, has run its course! ;)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

firebirdparts wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:28 pm FWIW, it's no problem to test an alternator with the car sitting there running. Super easy. Battery condition is irrelevant. It's easy.

Now, are they all a bunch of liars? Maybe. But they're not lying because they can't test the alternator. They don't have to lie to cover that. It's easy to test it.

Now, OP, you can buy a reasonably useful voltmeter for $5. If you want to. If you get one that plugs into the 12V socket you could monitor it all the time. If you want to.

It is a true fact that the core alternator has go be back in the box. That really is a real thing.
Actual, it is NOT true that the core goes back if you buy a NEW alternator. Which is what the OP thought he was buying.