Suggestions sought for Christmas day meal ideas in London

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
InvisibleAerobar

Suggestions sought for Christmas day meal ideas in London

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

I overlooked the fact that most restaurants will be closed on Christmas day in London, which is a bit surprising, as I'd have expected a few restaurants serving non-European cuisines to be open. We've called a few, and so far, it's been crickets.

The ideal situation would be finding a place serving traditional British Christmas fare (geese/ pheasants/ or beef Wellington), but I have no idea where to begin to look.

Pertinent info: hotel in a central-ish location (near St. Paul's Cathedral). Neither the rooms nor the hotel "kitchen" has an oven, but our room has a stovetop. We can bring frying pans and such, but probably wouldn't be able to bake anything. There's a good-sized fridge in the room, and we could have meal kits and items delivered on the 24th.

Solution sought: meal kit delivery that may be able to deliver something we could heat up ourselves. Alternatively, restaurants serving Christmas fare to ill-prepared tourists such as myself, with preference for something close to St. Paul's (b/c I have the sense it'd be difficult to even get a taxi that day) and a price of not too much more than ~80£ per person.

Many thanks in advance
Last edited by InvisibleAerobar on Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Re: Need suggestions for Christmas day meal ideas in London

Post by livesoft »

When you called the hotel, what did they suggest?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

An internet search turns up lots of places that you can volunteer to feed the homeless Christmas dinner. But it also turns up this: https://www.theinfatuation.com/london/g ... estaurants
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

livesoft wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:14 pm An internet search turns up lots of places that you can volunteer to feed the homeless Christmas dinner. But it also turns up this: https://www.theinfatuation.com/london/g ... estaurants
Thanks for the lead, I'll get started on calling up places.

As for the hotel, it wasn't too much more than a shoulder shrug when I called. I also expected better because when we were in Berlin (where most places shut down for Christmas Eve, although even then public transit still runs), the concierge was more than helpful in suggesting places we could go. Perhaps the concierge I spoke to at the London hotel was just particularly cranky that day?
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Last edited by bob60014 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

I'd imagine you'd at least be able to find a fancy hotel serving a Christmas dinner meal that day. There has to be at least one, in London.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin