Sean Carroll and John Quiggin Discuss Interest Rates, and the Benefits and Potential Liabilities of Markets.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Apathizer

Sean Carroll and John Quiggin Discuss Interest Rates, and the Benefits and Potential Liabilities of Markets.

Post by Apathizer »

This is a really interesting, wide ranging discussion. While the interest rate segment is certainly relevant, I found the market discussion even more compelling. For those who don't know, Sean Carroll is one a well regarded physicist, cosmologist, and science educator. Learning about and discussing unfamiliar topics is one of his motivations for starting the Mindscape Podcast. John Quiggin is an economist, probably most well known for his books "Zombie Economics: How Dead Ideas Still Walk Among Us" and more recently "Economics in Two Lessons: Why Markets Work So Well, and Why They Can Fail So Badly."

Early on he acknowledges being unfamiliar with economics. I think the conversation benefited from this since he politely pressed Quiggin to explain and clarify when he didn't understand something.
https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/po ... n-economy/
ROTH: 50% AVGE, 10% DFAX, 40% BNDW. Taxable: 50% BNDW, 40% AVGE, 10% DFAX.