filing police report for identity theft, tax return

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Edge215

filing police report for identity theft, tax return

Post by Edge215 »

i discovered recently that someone had attempted to file a fraudulent tax return using my personal information. would you bother filing a police report with your local police dept?
bob60014

Re: filing police report for identity theft, tax return

Post by bob60014 »

If for nothing else, documenting the event occurred. In "most" instances local PD will not do any further investigation and are likely to refer you to the feds, credit bureaus, etc.. Ymmv.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

yes, why not?

but more importantly is I'd make sure my credit was frozen with all three major bureaus:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Credit_freeze

also, did you get a PIN to use for your next year's tax return?

If so, don't lose it.

I think you might have to get a PIN every year for IRS filing

If you haven't gotten a PIN, you'll need to.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Topic Author
Edge215

Post by Edge215 »

yea. i get the sense local police wont care too much about a case like this. i was provided the IP address they logged in from fwiw.

and i did freeze my credit with all bureaus and have an IRS pin number now. disturbing stuff truly.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I had an attempted unemployment insurance fraud using my identity and reported it federally. There’s a website for this sort of thing. I didn’t go to my local police (NYPD - they have a lot of business as it is) but I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t. I already have freezes on all 3 bureaus (yes, I put them on).
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:09 pm I had an attempted unemployment insurance fraud using my identity and reported it federally. There’s a website for this sort of thing. I didn’t go to my local police but I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t. I already have freezes on all 3 bureaus (yes, I put them on).
Did you do anything else, like freeze your credit?
arcticpineapplecorp.

Edge215 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:06 pm yea. i get the sense local police wont care too much about a case like this. i was provided the IP address they logged in from fwiw.

and i did freeze my credit with all bureaus and have an IRS pin number now. disturbing stuff truly.
maybe, but who knows. I think I remember seeing a big sweep of some international identity theft ring a couple years ago. surprised me because of international laws (vast majority of these are outside the US which makes it hard to prosecute), but you never know.

I would file just so it's on record in case they ever catch the lowlifes.

sorry this happened to you. i'm sure it was unsettling. sounds like you're doing everything you should.

were you expecting a refund? If so, that could be delayed by many months (and not just because the IRS is understaffed).
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:11 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:09 pm I had an attempted unemployment insurance fraud using my identity and reported it federally. There’s a website for this sort of thing. I didn’t go to my local police but I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t. I already have freezes on all 3 bureaus (yes, I put them on).
I already had the credit freezes on, long before that. This was some state dept of labor hack. It didn’t work though because the UI debit card was sent to my address (I put it in a ziploc bag and retained it as evidence). You have to activate it to collect UI. So I reported it to the state DOL asap instead. Nothing was taken from me but I wanted to make sure no one thought I applied for UI (I’m not unemployed). The state DOL provided a link to a website where you could report it federally as well.

I also told my job it occurred and that I reported it, so they wouldn’t be blindsided if someone investigated why on earth I was collecting UI. I’ve learned to get way out ahead of stuff if there is any conceivably possible misunderstanding.

Turns out there is billions of this fraud every year.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:16 pm
I already had the credit freezes on, long before that. This was some state dept of labor hack. It didn’t work though because the UI debit card was set to my address. You have to activate it to collect UI. So I reported it to the state DOL asap instead. Nothing was taken from me but I wanted to make sure no one thought I applied for UI (I’m not unemployed). The state DOL provided a link to a website where you could report it federally as well.

I also told my job it occurred and that I reported it, so they wouldn’t be blindsided if someone investigated why on earth I was collecting UI. I’ve learned to get way out ahead of stuff if there is any conceivably possible misunderstanding.
Pretty sure with the equifax hack anyone over a certain age then has all of their personal info in the wild. Yeah good call on reporting the fraudulent UI, otherwise the state might send you a 1099.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My local sheriff's office has a friendly and responsive ID theft desk. It is easy to call them and talk to them and ask them your questions. However, that's for my locale and perhaps not yours.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Edge215

Post by Edge215 »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:12 pm
Edge215 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:06 pm yea. i get the sense local police wont care too much about a case like this. i was provided the IP address they logged in from fwiw.

maybe, but who knows. I think I remember seeing a big sweep of some international identity theft ring a couple years ago. surprised me because of international laws (vast majority of these are outside the US which makes it hard to prosecute), but you never know.

sorry this happened to you. i'm sure it was unsettling. sounds like you're doing everything you should.

were you expecting a refund? If so, that could be delayed by many months (and not just because the IRS is understaffed).
i filed my taxes early. so i already received my refunds from federal and state. i believe the fraudulent returns were rejected. thanks for sharing your experience. and sorry this happened to you as well.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:24 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:16 pm
I already had the credit freezes on, long before that. This was some state dept of labor hack. It didn’t work though because the UI debit card was set to my address. You have to activate it to collect UI. So I reported it to the state DOL asap instead. Nothing was taken from me but I wanted to make sure no one thought I applied for UI (I’m not unemployed). The state DOL provided a link to a website where you could report it federally as well.

Pretty sure with the equifax hack anyone over a certain age then has all of their personal info in the wild. Yeah good call on reporting the fraudulent UI, otherwise the state might send you a 1099.
The state said the primary purpose of reporting it was to prevent me from becoming ineligible for UI if I ever needed it in the future. I thought that was very considerate of them.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Edge215 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:25 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:12 pm

i filed my taxes early. so i already received my refunds from federal and state. i believe the fraudulent returns were rejected. thanks for sharing your experience. and sorry this happened to you as well.
Glad you got your refund. This hasn't happened to me. I just heard enough stories.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

definitely worth filling a report. If its just one report, they prolly won't do much, but if they start to see a local pattern of thefts, they might follow-up.
Mainlandjones

Post by Mainlandjones »

I went through something similar. I filed a police report which allowed me to get a 7 year freeze on my credit. Without the police report, I think you are limited to a one year freeze (you can redo it annually).

Also, I figure if I’m a victim again in the future it may help to have this instance documented in a police report.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Mainlandjones wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:41 pm I went through something similar. I filed a police report which allowed me to get a 7 year freeze on my credit. Without the police report, I think you are limited to a one year freeze (you can redo it annually).

Also, I figure if I’m a victim again in the future it may help to have this instance documented in a police report.
I thought credit freezes remain until you unfreeze them? :confused
twh

Post by twh »

File a report regardless of any action likely to be taken. You need a record you did this in case something comes back on you at some point.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:32 pm
Mainlandjones wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:41 pm I went through something similar. I filed a police report which allowed me to get a 7 year freeze on my credit. Without the police report, I think you are limited to a one year freeze (you can redo it annually).

Yes I think so as well.
Mainlandjones

Post by Mainlandjones »

Sorry, I was referring to a fraud alert. It is different than a credit freeze. Fraud alerts last one year, but can be extended to 7 years with a police report.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Mainlandjones wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:59 pm

Sorry, I was referring to a fraud alert. It is different than a credit freeze. Fraud alerts last one year, but can be extended to 7 years with a police report.
What does a fraud alert offer?
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

twh wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:54 pm File a report regardless of any action likely to be taken. You need a record you did this in case something comes back on you at some point.
I have no problem if OP wants to file. But does someone have an example where filing a report on this type of run of the mill identity theft with no loss was ever needed or helpful in recent years? Twenty years ago it was sometimes necessary because there was a much higher bar set to prove you were a victim of identity theft. In recent years, the disbelief is if you have never been a victim, not the other way around.
lws

Post by lws »

File a report.
A crime has been committed against you.