Duty free wine in European airport with connection in US

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Duty free wine in European airport with connection in US

Post by coalcracker »

It’s been awhile: Can I carry on bottles from an airport in Europe through a connecting US city without having to declare and move them to my checked luggage? I’m flying through Newark if that matters. :sharebeer
jucor

Re: Duty free wine in European airport with connection in US

Post by jucor »

I cannot really address your question as to permissibility of transferring your duty-free wine to your checked bags before making a U.S. connection, but unless you have a very good system for padding and packing them securely there's no way I'd do that -- heavy glass bottles jostling around in a suitcase being thrown and dropped by typical baggage handlers? WAY too great a chance for breakage and wine-soaked suitcase. No fun at all.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

the reason you cannot do this is not because of customs law, but because of practical matter: you will need to re-clear security in the US airport, and there you are not allowed to bring 100ml+ liquid through.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

jucor wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:09 pm I cannot really address your question as to permissibility of transferring your duty-free wine to your checked bags before making a U.S. connection, but unless you have a very good system for padding and packing them securely there's no way I'd do that -- heavy glass bottles jostling around in a suitcase being thrown and dropped by typical baggage handlers? WAY too great a chance for breakage and wine-soaked suitcase. No fun at all.
I do it about three times a year. Nothing special except tee shirts to wrap. Never had an issue.

Advanced technique is to take tape and tape bottles together.

As mentioned OP, you have to get them into your checked luggage.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

The duty-free shops have these special security seal bags for this purpose, so I think it can be done, but I don't remember the exact process (I don't normally bother with wine/liquor that way). Good luck with Newark...
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

Yes, it is allowed under certain situations, but not recommended by the TSA (from https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... quids-rule):
"You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
    The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
    The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
The items inside the secure, tamper-evident bags must be screened and cleared. Any item that alarms or is unable to be screened will not be permitted in your carry-on bag. We recommend packing all liquids, gels, and aerosols that are over 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your checked baggage, even if they are in a secure, tamper-evident bag."
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Carry-on is a hassle. Checked bag(s), never had any issue or breakage, ever.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Invest4lt wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:55 pm Yes, it is allowed under certain situations, but not recommended by the TSA (from https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... quids-rule):
"You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
    The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
    The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
The items inside the secure, tamper-evident bags must be screened and cleared. Any item that alarms or is unable to be screened will not be permitted in your carry-on bag. We recommend packing all liquids, gels, and aerosols that are over 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your checked baggage, even if they are in a secure, tamper-evident bag."
good point
MichDad

Post by MichDad »

We travel a lot internationally. We're living in Europe as I'm writing this message.

When we return to the USA, we typically bring about two liters of alcohol per person. I believe the US customs limit is one liter per person. I always declare the precise amount of alcohol we're carrying. I tell the customs officers that I'm happy to pay whatever duty is owed. We've never been asked to pay any duties. I once had a US customs agent "complain" about the length and detail I provided in my customs declaration forms. I always carry our alcohol in our checked bags. When possible, I use bubble wrap and plastic bags. We've never had any breakage or leakage.

MichDad
runningshoes

Post by runningshoes »

Adding to MichDad's note, last time I was in Australia I got a bit carried away and brought a case of wine back - the wine store packed it professionally and it was checked as luggage w/o any issues. Presented on the customs form and was waved by without any issues.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

I've brought back 2 bottles of gin bought on a cruise trip packed in my checked luggage. No problem.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

MichDad wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:58 am We travel a lot internationally. We're living in Europe as I'm writing this message.

When we return to the USA, we typically bring about two liters of alcohol per person. I believe the US customs limit is one liter per person. I always declare the precise amount of alcohol we're carrying. I tell the customs officers that I'm happy to pay whatever duty is owed. We've never been asked to pay any duties. I once had a US customs agent "complain" about the length and detail I provided in my customs declaration forms. I always carry our alcohol in our checked bags. When possible, I use bubble wrap and plastic bags. We've never had any breakage or leakage.

MichDad
When I was living in Brussels, I brought three cases of Burgundy to NY through JFK. I called before I left and spoke with a customs agent on the floor. He chuckled and said “no problem. We aren’t looking for guys like you.” I declared it on entry and they simply waived me through with my three boxes and luggage.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

hunoraut wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:46 pm the reason you cannot do this is not because of customs law, but because of practical matter: you will need to re-clear security in the US airport, and there you are not allowed to bring 100ml+ liquid through.
On the contrary, this is exactly why it is possible. After clearing customs, you have access to your check in bags and can stow extra stuff into them if you need to.

As I have never actually done something like this, I cannot speak to OP's question as to what it needs to make sure the bottle(s) doesn't break... but it looks like there are others on this thread who have done so.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

an_asker wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:23 am As I have never actually done something like this, I cannot speak to OP's question as to what it needs to make sure the bottle(s) doesn't break... but it looks like there are others on this thread who have done so.
I have always used styro shippers. Although you can sometimes find them in 2-bottle versions, I've only used 6-bottle and full case shippers. A couple of bottles generally isn't worth the trouble. I have only brought "back" [whether outside or inside the US] wines that I cannot obtain through normal distribution channels so I always ask the winery if the label is available in distribution or only locally.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I've never tried bringing any duty-free items back to the US, but we have made several trips to Jamaica in which we ended up bringing back one-liter bottles of rum. We've had great success putting them in our checked luggage using a padded bottle protector made by Franmara.

Wine Safeguard™ Reusable Bottle Protector.

By using this (and padding around it in the bag with clothing), we've never had one break in transit.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

coalcracker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:03 pm It’s been awhile: Can I carry on bottles from an airport in Europe through a connecting US city without having to declare and move them to my checked luggage? I’m flying through Newark if that matters. :sharebeer
No. And too, note that they must be checked when you come out of customs/USDA. There are two ways to mess up.
This time is the same
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

coalcracker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:03 pm It’s been awhile: Can I carry on bottles from an airport in Europe through a connecting US city without having to declare and move them to my checked luggage? I’m flying through Newark if that matters. :sharebeer
1. Are these bottles acquired at airport duty free? If not, they are not allowed to be carried on. If duty free, the shop should pack them in a ICAO tamper-evident bag with dated receipt clearly visible.

https://www.icao.int/security/sfp/lags_ ... fault.aspx

2. You have to declare to CBP regardless of whether they are carry-on or checked luggage. Duty on wine exceeding personal allowance is only a couple of dollars a liter. Often times you get waived on without additional collection as it costs CBP more in paperwork.
runningshoes

Post by runningshoes »

an_asker wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:23 am
hunoraut wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:46 pm the reason you cannot do this is not because of customs law, but because of practical matter: you will need to re-clear security in the US airport, and there you are not allowed to bring 100ml+ liquid through.
On the contrary, this is exactly why it is possible. After clearing customs, you have access to your check in bags and can stow extra stuff into them if you need to.

As I have never actually done something like this, I cannot speak to OP's question as to what it needs to make sure the bottle(s) doesn't break... but it looks like there are others on this thread who have done so.
After clearing customs coming in on international flights you ALWAYS go through security again for exactly the reason you pointed out - you have access to your luggage and you exit the secure area. TSA will not allow the bottles on a domestic flight.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

If you carry on your duty-free bottles in their respective sealed bag and when you reach Newark you will have to clear customs with your bag and immigration. As you exit customs, there will be a place for ongoing checked bags. At that point you take your duty free bottles and put them into your luggage and send them off to your final destination.
Stick the bottles well inside your bag padded by your clothes and it will be fine.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

MichDad wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:58 amI once had a US customs agent "complain" about the length and detail I provided in my customs declaration forms.
When I was young and naive, I once declared that I was carrying food and showed my packages of chocolate. The customs agent was not happy with me.

But to question the basis of this thread, duty-free alcohol is usually not worth the trouble. The duty-free shops at airports mainly sell the usual stuff, and very often it is cheaper in the US. Or maybe it is a couple of dollars more, but not worth the hassle of carrying glass bottles through airports and on planes. It's more the feeling of doing something exotic, but after a couple of trips, that feeling passes.

Certainly I might bring back something that is not available here, but if so, it is not guaranteed to be available at the departure airport either.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

MichDad wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:58 am We travel a lot internationally. We're living in Europe as I'm writing this message.

MichDad
I once brought three suitcases full of wine (took advantage of the 70 lbs/bag weight limit in business class) back to the U.S., declared their value of course (several hundred dollars), but Customs didn't ask me to pay any duty. I think even had they assessed duty it would have been minimal and hardly worth their effort.
MichDad

Post by MichDad »

Chuckles960 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:57 pm
MichDad wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:58 amI once had a US customs agent "complain" about the length and detail I provided in my customs declaration forms.
When I was young and naive, I once declared that I was carrying food and showed my packages of chocolate. The customs agent was not happy with me.

But to question the basis of this thread, duty-free alcohol is usually not worth the trouble. The duty-free shops at airports mainly sell the usual stuff, and very often it is cheaper in the US. Or maybe it is a couple of dollars more, but not worth the hassle of carrying glass bottles through airports and on planes. It's more the feeling of doing something exotic, but after a couple of trips, that feeling passes.

Certainly I might bring back something that is not available here, but if so, it is not guaranteed to be available at the departure airport either.
Interesting. I always declare chocolate and packaged foods that we bring into the USA. I’ve never had a negative reaction from customs officials.

With respect to alcohol, we only bring in items not generally available in the USA or items that are much more expensive in the USA. We don’t usually purchase alcohol from duty free shops. We usually buy alcohol from grocery stores or wine shops in the European country we live in.

MichDad
rob

Post by rob »

I use these with great success - bottles from the other side of the planet packed in checked bags. Simple, light, cheap and effective. I put each in a giant ziplock - just in case it gets broken.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

runningshoes wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:39 am
an_asker wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:23 am [...]

After clearing customs coming in on international flights you ALWAYS go through security again for exactly the reason you pointed out - you have access to your luggage and you exit the secure area. TSA will not allow the bottles on a domestic flight.
I agree with everything you said, but I have one doubt. Are you agreeing with me or are you disagreeing with me on this one specific point (below)?
After clearing customs, you have access to your check in bags and can stow extra stuff into them if you need to.
Because if you are disagreeing, you are wrong. :-)
deso89

Post by deso89 »

I flew through Newark in April w/a duty free bottle of red wine. No issues through TSA, just had to keep it in the duty free bag on carry on. However, I was told by the TSA agent that dark bottles and oil (ie olive oil) can cause the screening machines issues, so as other posters have mentioned, it may be easier to transfer it to your checked baggage.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

It is not true that one has the opportunity to pack more things in one's luggage after all international flights to the US and before a continuing domestic flight.

In Ireland(*), Canada, Abu Dhabi and elsewhere (Bahamas?) there is US Customs Preclearance. When you change planes in the US, your luggage has already passed Customs and is automatically transferred.

Indeed, if transferring at a preclearance airport, one does not always have to collect and recheck luggage there either (they had a photo of my bag on their screen, and presumably they had x-rayed it---at no point was there the opportunity to put duty-free alcohol into checked luggage).

(*)OP asked about Europe; Ireland is in Europe.