What to do in Ann Arbor, MI for 2 days?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EdNorton

What to do in Ann Arbor, MI for 2 days?

Post by EdNorton »

Any recommendations? We are outdoor people with a dog. Will be staying downtown. Near by hikes? Dive bars with good food? Thanks.
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho

Re: What to do in Ann Arbor, MI for 2 days?

Post by 123 »

Be sure to eat (at least once) at Zingerman's. We were there pre-COVID so I don't know how many locations they currently have. Some time back it seemed like they had a deli/cafe and a separate restaurant (Bakehouse?) location.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
MadAsgardian

Post by MadAsgardian »

EdNorton wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:48 am Any recommendations? We are outdoor people with a dog. Will be staying downtown. Near by hikes? Dive bars with good food? Thanks.
:sharebeer
You might want to check out the “Arb” (UofM arboretum): https://mbgna.umich.edu/nichols-arboretum/

Dominick’s if you like sangria.
Last edited by MadAsgardian on Sat May 28, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadAsgardian

Post by MadAsgardian »

123 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:52 am Be sure to eat (at least once) at Zingerman's. We were there pre-COVID so I don't know how many locations they currently have. Some time back it seemed like they had a deli/cafe and a separate restaurant (Bakehouse?) location.
Roadhouse.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

In addition to Zingerman's (a must), and the Arb, check out the Matthaei Botanical Gardens: https://mbgna.umich.edu/. Gallup Park is also nice for walking with your doggo.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

I found a visit to this farm enjoyable. Although they don't allow pets.

https://www.pettingfarm.com/about-us
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

We enjoy going to the bar and grill Everything Buckeye. They have an Sandwich called the Urbanburger which is unbeatable.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Maybe find a local fight club? Just don’t talk about it.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

bengal22 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:50 am We enjoy going to the bar and grill Everything Buckeye. They have an Sandwich called the Urbanburger which is unbeatable.
The joke (which writes itself) would probably get me suspended. Touché.
K72

Post by K72 »

+1 for the Arb. If you like football, Michigan stadium is awesome. Maybe there are tours? A stroll around main campus and adjoining downtown can be quite pleasant. The architecture of the Law Quad on central campus is stunning.
All we want are the facts...
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

K72 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:09 pm The architecture of the Law Quad on central campus is stunning.
+1 for the Law Quad--especially the Law Library's reading room.
detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu »

If you want a nice hike and will have a car, these are within 30 mins driving distance

https://www.michigan.org/property/pinck ... ation-area
https://www.metroparks.com/kensington-metropark/
drk

Post by drk »

For a good day out with the dog, you could take a canoe from Argo Park down to Gallup Park, then walk back to campus via Gallup Park and the Arb.

Then get Frita Batido's as a treat after all that work.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

drk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:30 pm
Then get Frita Batido's as a treat after all that work.
+1000
Those milk-shakes :D
Monk

Post by Monk »

The most Ann Arbor thing I can think of is to roll your eyes at which "Top 10 place to live/raise a family/work remotely/start a company/retire" list Ann Arbor just landed on again.

The must-do walk is the Arb (Nichols Arboretum). Considered the inspiration for Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" - you might see why, although the common interpretation of the poem is way off the mark. The peonies should be in bloom over the next week and are truly spectacular. Also a great place to consume shrooms, so I am told, which are "decriminalized" locally. Bird Hills and Barton Nature area are fine if maybe not worth making a point of visiting. If you're looking for something less urban, check out the Potowatomi Trail, about 15 miles outside of town.

Please don't park in a bike lane.

The dive bar with good food of the moment is still HOMES, about a mile or so west of downtown. Whacky beers and interesting interpretations of asian street food. Need to go to Ypsi to find an actual dive bar without any yuppies in it. If you're in town on the weekend most of Main St and Liberty are closed to car traffic so that the bars and restaurants can expand their outdoor seating. Open containers within those areas are fine. Need a dispensary recommendation?

The second most Ann Arbor thing to do is curse Art Fair traffic. You're not coming for that, are you?
mega317

Post by mega317 »

+1 gallup park with a dog. Canoe/kayak is awesome. But the walk back from the Gallup drop off point is a little long, depending on how much time and fitness you have. Also +1 Pinkney. Park here:https://goo.gl/maps/r2wXes5GCTdBU9yg9 and there are trailheads south of the lot. I don't think there are any hikes that could be remotely considered strenuous. Bug spray although right now is the perfect time.

Another dive bar with good food is Old Town Tavern. Then it's 1 block to Blank Slate for ice cream. Zingerman's is good but crowded and perhaps overrated? The Roadhouse is also good but has essentially nothing to do with the deli, kind of in a blah area, probably skippable. I only ate at Frita Batidos once and I was thirsty for the whole next day that was some heavy food.

If you like animals there are some cool conservancies.
This place http://www.thecreatureconservancy.org/ has all kinds of animals, my favorites were the sloth and cougar.
This one is closer to downtown https://www.lesliesnc.org/ and has injured birds of prey that you can walk right up to. Easy in and out and 10 minutes there is worthwhile.

What are you going to be there for?
Last edited by mega317 on Sat May 28, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gips

Post by gips »

restaurants:
- miss kim
- tomukun noodle bar
- joes pizza - if you've never had nyc pizza, this is real deal
- buddys (detroit): iconic detroit style pizza maker
- zingerman's cafe, plaza blvd: we like zingermans in all its forms but my wife loves good coffee and says this is as good as it gets. Stop next door at their bakery, take your selection into the cafe and enjoy.
- if not zingerman's cafe for coffee (which is out of the way) we like comet coffee in the arcade
- jolly pumpkin brewery

spirit wear:
- m den has a discount section
- goodwill always had a large selection, I found UM gear in perfect shape there in the $5 to $15 range
- if you want to try a social experiment, purchase a UM hat or tee shirt, wear it anywhere in the world and see how long it takes for someone to shout "Go Blue". I wore a UM hat into a ramen shop in tokyo where no one spoke English, as soon as we sat at the counter the owner came over and said "Go Blue!" which might have been the only two words of English he spoke :)

walking:
- the quad, law library
- as others have said, the arb is nice walk
- main st for shops and restaurants
- farmer's market

depending on when you'll be there, a football game is a must but of course you can't bring your dog...

I feel I'd be remiss in not saying,
go blue!
brownogram

Post by brownogram »

Some great suggestions above. These are mine—
  • Dominicks - sangria on the patio
Go Blue!
BeaverBoy07

Post by BeaverBoy07 »

Monk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:37 pm The most Ann Arbor thing I can think of is to roll your eyes at which "Top 10 place to live/raise a family/work remotely/start a company/retire" list Ann Arbor just landed on again.
And forevermore question who published the list.

Watch your tires! Roads are in horrible condition. You can bend a wheel nearly anywhere you'd like. :annoyed

There have been recent shootings at Gallup Park and Briarwood Mall. Watch going east of 23 as well.

There are some decent restaurant options listed above.