Looking for security camera system

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NeverGiveUP

Looking for security camera system

Post by NeverGiveUP »

I received a notice from Amazon that they will not be supporting the Amazon Cloudcam as of 12/02/22. I have a number of Cloudcams and am looking for a replacement system.

Below is the ideal system I would like. I have searched to see if I can find one that meets all of my criteria but I haven't found one yet. My lack of knowledge in this area doesn't help either. Does anyone know if a system with the following exists?

CAMERAS
1) no monthly fees.
2) I need only interior cameras.
3) The cameras have to have a wireless connection and record to a Network Video Recorder (NVR) which is supplied with the system.
4) The cameras have to have wired power that plug into outlets, not batteries or POE.
5) I would like to be able to have continuous viewing of all cameras on a Windows 10 PC from the Network Video Recorder without internet connection.
7) I would like movement to be recorded on the Network Video Recorder and I would like to be able to view recorded movements on Windows 10 PC without an internet connection.

My intent is to have a camera system that will work if the supplying company goes out of business.

Thanks for any help!
kiwisun

Re: Looking for security camera system

Post by kiwisun »

Hi,

Maybe check Arlo and it’s Arlo Essential Indoor Security camera. It connects via Wi-Fi, records in case of motion detection, provides access to live feed and two way communication via app, provides privacy screen and night vision, plugs into outlet for power. It does store for free on Arlo’s systems.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/cameras/esse ... ndoor.html
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

My experience with Arlo systems for indoors and outdoors at two parents’ condos has been good. If there is no nearby outlet, you will need to recharge the camera (frequency depends on amount of camera activity). The purchase includes free video storage for the first 3 months but there is a monthly fee after that.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

kiwisun wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:01 am Hi,

Maybe check Arlo and it’s Arlo Essential Indoor Security camera. It connects via Wi-Fi, records in case of motion detection, provides access to live feed and two way communication via app, provides privacy screen and night vision, plugs into outlet for power. It does store for free on Arlo’s systems.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/cameras/esse ... ndoor.html
+1
Arlo
Up to 5 cameras stored at no charge by Arlo.
Indoor or (protected area) outdoor.

However, there can be "drop outs" in connection even if USB constant powered.

Also, solar powered wireless outdoor if needed.
Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09 ... UTF8&psc=1

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat May 28, 2022 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

HomeStretch wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:17 am My experience with Arlo systems for indoors and outdoors at two parents’ condos has been good. If there is no nearby outlet, you will need to recharge the camera (frequency depends on amount of camera activity). The purchase includes free video storage for the first 3 months but there is a monthly fee after that.
I got my indoor camera from them 1month ago. A question about the period after the 3 month free video storage: From their website I see “ 2Renewal of an Arlo Secure subscription is required to maintain Arlo Secure features after the 3-month trial. These features include cloud storage, object detection, activity zones and video history.”. Can you confirm if alerts in case of motion detection are still triggered after the trial?

Also, the app mentions that the when the trial ends “features including higher resolution recordings and extended video history after the free trial ends. I was under the impression it could store for free for 1 day in case of recording due to motion detection but can’t find where I have read it.
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

kiwisun wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:41 am
HomeStretch wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:17 am My experience with Arlo systems for indoors and outdoors at two parents’ condos has been good. If there is no nearby outlet, you will need to recharge the camera (frequency depends on amount of camera activity). The purchase includes free video storage for the first 3 months but there is a monthly fee after that.
I got my indoor camera from them 1month ago. A question about the period after the 3 month free video storage: From their website I see “ 2Renewal of an Arlo Secure subscription is required to maintain Arlo Secure features after the 3-month trial. These features include cloud storage, object detection, activity zones and video history.”. Can you confirm if alerts in case of motion detection are still triggered after the trial?

Also, the app mentions that the when the trial ends “features including higher resolution recordings and extended video history after the free trial ends. I was under the impression it could store for free for 1 day in case of recording due to motion detection but can’t find where I have read it.

According to https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html (compare plans) motion notifications are triggered without a plan.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

kiwisun wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:41 am … A question about the period after the 3 month free video storage …
Sorry, I can’t fully answer your questions as I haven’t subscribed past the free 3-month trial. But the motion alerts do continue even without paying for video storage.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »