US -> UK Fund Transfer

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
PDX86

US -> UK Fund Transfer

Post by PDX86 »

Hey there,

I'm reasonably new to the idea of investing in Index Funds and have just finished reading The Simple Path to Wealth and The Little Book of Common Sense Investing. I'm hoping the community here might be able to offer some advise...

I am UK citizen, living in the USA on working Visa. I don't know how long I will be living in the US for, but I DO know that one day i will move back to the UK. I'm interested in in investing in Index Funds through Vanguard, but have concerns about the longevity of this approach, should I return to the UK in the short term (say, 1-2 years).

Does anyone in the community know:
1) is it possible to transfer a Vanguard account form the US to the UK? and if so, are there any penalties / tax implications?
2) is it possible to simply open a Vanguard account in the UK. Transfer money from the US to the UK and invest in my Vanguard UK account? If so, are there any penalties / tax implications I need to be aware of?
3) a little off topic - but i'll throw it out there - is it possible for a Vanguard account to be transferred from person to another as-is? Without withdrawing / closing the fund?
4) is there any other approach that I am overlooking?

Appreciate the communities help in advance!
Cheers