Trane mini-split noise

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mpnret

Trane mini-split noise

Post by mpnret »

Anyone own a mini-split A/C with condensate pump? My son has a new to him place with a Trane mini-split A/C system. It has 3 heads, one is gravity drain the other 2 apparently have a condensate pump. The system is 3 years old and works great. The 2 with the condensate pumps have an annoying buzz every so often which I consider too loud for a bedroom. The buzz comes not from the unit itself but the vertical raceway up to the ceiling which is where I assume they installed the condensate pump. Anyone know if this is normal? As soon as I get over there I plan on opening up the raceway to make sure it's the pump and see if it may be contacting the raceway and maybe padding it. Attached is a youtube link to the raceway and noise. You can hear the buzzing about 1/2 way in. You may need to turn the volume up to about 3/4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkvlT2S ... nel=mpnret
ncbill

Re: Trane mini-split noise

Post by ncbill »

sure you're not hearing the pump itself?

I've got a standard split system setup with the condensate pump right next to the internal unit and the pump itself is noticeably loud when it cuts on
Topic Author
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

Yes the noise is coming from the pump itself which is located in the raceway. Sounds like you have the same issue just the pump is in another location. I was hoping I might get lucky and find someone who has solved this. Already on multiple HVAC forums.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

How is the pump affixed in the raceway? Is it screwed/bolted to the raceway? Any sound/vibration the pump makes will be amplified by the raceway. Can you add some sort of isolation layer between the pump and the raceway (like rubber isolation dampers)?
bostondan

Post by bostondan »

Is there any way to convert it to a gravity drain? We have 8 heads and 7 were gravity with 1 pump. I asked the installer to be more creative and he was able to make the 8th pump into a gravity drain despite it being on an interior wall. It works great, is silent (because no pump), and is less likely to flood when the pump unexpectedly breaks.

We had a leak in our basement because of a dehumidifier that had a broken pump. I converted the dehumidifier to a gravity drain (took some creativity) and I made the decision to never trust a water pump again.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel
Topic Author
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

Finally got over there to check things out and I think I have it fixed. It turns out there are 2 very small long slim almost silent pumps in the raceway. Problem is they were touching the plastic raceway creating the buzz. Added some padding and all seems good. I would have preferred gravity drains but some of these expensive townhomes with masonry exteriors have strict rules on exterior penetrations. You can only get so creative. I'm not too concerned in pump failure being they seem to be high quality and the mini splits have a built in shutdown if the condensate isn't draining from a plugged gravity drain or pump failure.