Taxes on remote freelance work (overseas)?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Taxes on remote freelance work (overseas)?

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm based in the US and am considering doing some part-time consulting / freelance work. I've done this in the past and received 1099s for the work which was simple enough to file taxes, set up a SEP-IRA, etc.

However, there's a chance I'll be doing some freelance work for a company in Europe. And it may be a consistent 10-20 hours a week.
Does that change anything? Just want to make sure I do things by the book and not unnecessarily complicate anything.
Caliscotsman

Re: Taxes on remote freelance work (overseas)?

Post by Caliscotsman »

I often do freelance work for a company in Germany.
For that income I report it in CA where I live and pay the appropriate taxes. Fed and State.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

This won't specifically answer your question. But, in general, the employee will pay taxes in the country where the work is performed. And, in general, the employer will need a business entity in the country where the employee is doing work. So, if your contract work is funneled through your USA business entity then likely (70-80%) you would be sorted by paying the relevant USA taxes.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Great, thanks for the information