Home System Protection on Homeowners policy

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Jim180

Home System Protection on Homeowners policy

Post by Jim180 »

I'm a bit confused about what this covers in a home and what the exclusions might be. What I read on various insurance websites about this coverage is that it covers sudden breakdowns to HVAC equipment, and possibly appliances as well, but then I read something about not covering some things due to wear and tear. Suppose a person has a 20 year old HVAC system or appliance and it just dies one day. The homeowner could make the case that it was indeed a sudden breakdown and should be covered because the item gave no warning and worked fine up until that moment, however it would seem to me the insurance company would try and deny the claim because they would insist the breakdown occurred as a result of 20 years of wear and tear. I frankly don't know how the insurance company could make money if they would pay for everyone's HVAC units and appliances every time they die. Do any of you have this coverage and have any of you ever filed a claim for this?