[Using PayPal to pay bills and earn 5% on credit cards]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
MrJedi

Re: [Using PayPal to pay bills and earn 5% on credit cards]

Post by MrJedi »

czaj wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:23 pm Yes for the most part, but I might try to make sure all banks are blocked.

You could try removing the bill and automatic payment and trying again (perhaps in a different browser or private window).

There are two hurdles to cross that makes it unsustainable: PayPal errors and Coinbase Card now blocking the merchant. Let me know if you have any success.
I was going to let my accounts cool off for a week or so before trying again, since I assume it's some sort of PayPal algorithm that's blocking it for now.

Though I did read on another forum that Coinbase shutdown their card for repeatedly paying a Citi credit card. So I'm not sure I want to burn this bridge by trying repeatedly since it seems unsustainable as you mention.
czaj

Post by czaj »

MrJedi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:38 pm
czaj wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:23 pm Yes for the most part, but I might try to make sure all banks are blocked.

You could try removing the bill and automatic payment and trying again (perhaps in a different browser or private window).

There are two hurdles to cross that makes it unsustainable: PayPal errors and Coinbase Card now blocking the merchant. Let me know if you have any success.
I was going to let my accounts cool off for a week or so before trying again, since I assume it's some sort of PayPal algorithm that's blocking it for now.

Though I did read on another forum that Coinbase shutdown their card for repeatedly paying a Citi credit card. So I'm not sure I want to burn this bridge by trying repeatedly since it seems unsustainable as you mention.
I wonder why they don’t block Citi payments too. I am still able to pay a Citi card via phone with the debit card.

Honestly the 4% Coinbase Card also seems unsustainable; I’m not going to do anything egregious, but I’ll keep paying the Citi card (and other credit cards) if I’m able.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

stilllurking wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:55 pm
greenway23 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:47 pm Well, shoot. PayPal just announced that PP key is being discontinued on April 20. A lot of Verizon customers, including myself, were using this to pay Verizon bills with a credit card and still get the $5-10 discount for auto pay.
My way around this, buy Verizon gift cards with your cc, doesn’t even have to be using PP. Then pay your VZ bill with that gc. You can buy a $100 gc and put the whole amount on your account to prepay a few months bills.
Does buying Verizon gift cards with Chase Ink still earn you 5x?
greenway23

Post by greenway23 »

greenway23 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:59 pm Here’s a thought:

@stilllurking has said that as long as you have a debit card or bank account on file at Verizon for auto pay, you can still pay with a gift card and get the auto pay discount.

I wonder if you could do this thru PP bill pay. That is, have your debit card or bank account on file at Verizon for auto pay, but pay the bill in full thru PP bill pay before your auto pay date. Might be worth a try.
I am going to try this with my next Verizon wireless bill. I checked and Verizon wireless is one of the payees on PayPal bill pay. I am optimistic that this is going to work. Unfortunately (and surprisingly), Verizon Fios does not appear to be an available payee in PayPal bill pay.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

Jags4186 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:39 pm
stilllurking wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:55 pm
greenway23 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:47 pm Well, shoot. PayPal just announced that PP key is being discontinued on April 20. A lot of Verizon customers, including myself, were using this to pay Verizon bills with a credit card and still get the $5-10 discount for auto pay.
My way around this, buy Verizon gift cards with your cc, doesn’t even have to be using PP. Then pay your VZ bill with that gc. You can buy a $100 gc and put the whole amount on your account to prepay a few months bills.
Does buying Verizon gift cards with Chase Ink still earn you 5x?
I don't have that card so I can't comment. I just use my BoA Premium Rewards card for 2.6% back.
yobery

Post by yobery »

czaj wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:51 pm
MrJedi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:38 pm

I wonder why they don’t block Citi payments too. I am still able to pay a Citi card via phone with the debit card.

Honestly the 4% Coinbase Card also seems unsustainable; I’m not going to do anything egregious, but I’ll keep paying the Citi card (and other credit cards) if I’m able.
Why not help the 4% remain sustainable and instead of trying to pay your cc bill with it (to milk that extra 2%), just pay your regular bills with the 4% card directly? That's what I'm trying to do. Def not something I want to be shut out of (4%) due to borderline activity
czaj

Post by czaj »

yobery wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:09 pm Why not help the 4% remain sustainable and instead of trying to pay your cc bill with it (to milk that extra 2%), just pay your regular bills with the 4% card directly? That's what I'm trying to do. Def not something I want to be shut out of (4%) due to borderline activity
I'd prefer to use a credit card for protection and cash flow purposes and prefer to keep the Coinbase debit card locked most of the time. Also, when using the Citi Customized card it's actually 5% + 4%. Using the Coinbase card directly doesn't make it any more sustainable, it would just be a win for the other banks (Citi) because they wouldn't be giving rewards.

Also, from what I've read, it does not seem to break any terms of service agreements.
yobery

Post by yobery »

czaj wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:20 pm
yobery wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:09 pm Why not help the 4% remain sustainable and instead of trying to pay your cc bill with it (to milk that extra 2%), just pay your regular bills with the 4% card directly? That's what I'm trying to do. Def not something I want to be shut out of (4%) due to borderline activity
I'd prefer to use a credit card for protection and cash flow purposes and prefer to keep the Coinbase debit card locked most of the time. Also, when using the Citi Customized card it's actually 5% + 4%. Using the Coinbase card directly doesn't make it any more sustainable, it would just be a win for the other banks (Citi) because they wouldn't be giving rewards.

Also, from what I've read, it does not seem to break any terms of service agreements.
Sure, I do think they'll lock out CC payments from that card eventually
czaj

Post by czaj »

yobery wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:23 pm

No doubt, I just hope they don't exclude tax payments. I'm also sure they'll continue to lower the rewards (to less than 3% but probably below 2%). I guess we can only hope that the Coinbase Card is leading to people to actually purchase and actively trade crypto; that's the only way the card will be sustained.
yobery

Post by yobery »

czaj wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:31 pm
yobery wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:23 pm

No doubt, I just hope they don't exclude tax payments. I'm also sure they'll continue to lower the rewards (to less than 3% but probably below 2%). I guess we can only hope that the Coinbase Card is leading to people to actually purchase and actively trade crypto; that's the only way the card will be sustained.
I think they're making money on the spread themselves during those 7 day holds
czaj

Post by czaj »

MrJedi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:38 pm I was going to let my accounts cool off for a week or so before trying again, since I assume it's some sort of PayPal algorithm that's blocking it for now.
Any idea what PayPal's "cooldown" period is? Seems that if a card is declined, PayPal won't even try to process any payments/bills through it.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

czaj wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:54 am
MrJedi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:38 pm I was going to let my accounts cool off for a week or so before trying again, since I assume it's some sort of PayPal algorithm that's blocking it for now.
Any idea what PayPal's "cooldown" period is? Seems that if a card is declined, PayPal won't even try to process any payments/bills through it.
Good question. I have not retried there but I noticed similar when accidentally ran a payment with the card locked on Coinbase side. After that PP seemingly stopped trying because I wasn't getting any declined transaction on CB side.

My spouse is now running it through her PP account which is working again. I probably won't try mine again unless she starts running into issues.
czaj

Post by czaj »

MrJedi wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:06 am
Good question. I have not retried there but I noticed similar when accidentally ran a payment with the card locked on Coinbase side. After that PP seemingly stopped trying because I wasn't getting any declined transaction on CB side.

My spouse is now running it through her PP account which is working again. I probably won't try mine again unless she starts running into issues.
Oh, nice. PayPal wasn't letting me add the card on my spouse's account, even after removing it from mine.
greenway23

Post by greenway23 »

greenway23 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:00 pm
greenway23 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:59 pm Here’s a thought:

@stilllurking has said that as long as you have a debit card or bank account on file at Verizon for auto pay, you can still pay with a gift card and get the auto pay discount.

I wonder if you could do this thru PP bill pay. That is, have your debit card or bank account on file at Verizon for auto pay, but pay the bill in full thru PP bill pay before your auto pay date. Might be worth a try.
I am going to try this with my next Verizon wireless bill. I checked and Verizon wireless is one of the payees on PayPal bill pay. I am optimistic that this is going to work. Unfortunately (and surprisingly), Verizon Fios does not appear to be an available payee in PayPal bill pay.
Update for Verizon customers (both wireless and FIOS) who want to pay their Verizon bills with a credit card while still getting the auto-pay discount:

To get the auto-pay discount, you need to either have your checking account information or debit card number on file for auto-pay. You can still make off-schedule payments and keep the discount, as long as you're not paying by credit card. PayPal key was the best solution to this since it's a virtual debit card that you can set up to charge to your credit card. PayPal key is ending on April 20. Today, I tried to pay both Verizon Fios and VZW via regular PayPal bill pay (not key), but the PayPal bill pay service states that Verizon will not accept credit card payments (which is a bit odd because you can pay your bill directly on the Verizon website with a credit card, albeit you'll be forfeiting the auto-pay discount). In light of this, I believe the only solution for Verizon customers who wish to pay their bills via credit card while still maintaining the auto-pay discount is to purchase Verizon gift cards with a credit card and then use those gift cards to make off-schedule payments on the Verizon website (you'll still be enrolled in auto-pay, but by the due date, your balance owed will be zero).

On a somewhat related point, this week PayPal announced that its 2% cash back mastercard will now give 3% cash back for payments made through PayPal. I am hoping this will also work for payments made through PayPal bill pay using the PayPal mastercard - it would be a way to get 3% back on utilities and any other bills paid through PayPal bill pay. (US Bank cash visa is also a good option for utilities, streaming/internet, and phone bills, if you can pay via credit card without fees.)
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

I was going to refrain from posting but it is really annoying me so I’ll share. Was using PayPal Bill Pay to pay local utility with credit card. Recently had payment that was charged to my credit card but not credited to my utility’s account, PayPal basically giving me the runaround and saying it is not their problem. It is not a life altering amount but not insignificant either (>$100). Hesitant to do a charge back as don’t want to get banned from PayPal and hear that BofA not always best with credit card disputes. But just a warning to those following this thread.
czaj

Post by czaj »

need403bhelp wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:06 am I was going to refrain from posting but it is really annoying me so I’ll share. Was using PayPal Bill Pay to pay local utility with credit card. Recently had payment that was charged to my credit card but not credited to my utility’s account, PayPal basically giving me the runaround and saying it is not their problem. It is not a life altering amount but not insignificant either (>$100). Hesitant to do a charge back as don’t want to get banned from PayPal and hear that BofA not always best with credit card disputes. But just a warning to those following this thread.
I would probably do a chargeback if you’ve contacted both PayPal and the merchant and the payment still can’t be found.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

czaj wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:21 am
need403bhelp wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:06 am I was going to refrain from posting but it is really annoying me so I’ll share. Was using PayPal Bill Pay to pay local utility with credit card. Recently had payment that was charged to my credit card but not credited to my utility’s account, PayPal basically giving me the runaround and saying it is not their problem. It is not a life altering amount but not insignificant either (>$100). Hesitant to do a charge back as don’t want to get banned from PayPal and hear that BofA not always best with credit card disputes. But just a warning to those following this thread.
I would probably do a chargeback if you’ve contacted both PayPal and the merchant and the payment still can’t be found.
Thanks. I'm probably getting closer to that point, although the utility company is still looking for the missing payment (I contacted them only after being horribly frustrated by PayPal support as I wasn't clear anything was sent to them and am still not clear that something was sent) and also, somehow, my PayPal case has been re-opened now as a "missing credit" although I'm not really sure that will be a fruitful avenue either.
Ceeloh

Post by Ceeloh »

Did you ever figure out what their cooldown period is? I tried a payment and my Coinbase card had the exact amount. Paypal did a .01 charge, then a charge for the full amount so it was declined. Tried again with more money added on the CB and and it didnt even try my coinbase card, just my backup bank account. I have now removed my bank account and it won’t even load the bill pay section now.
czaj

Post by czaj »

Ceeloh wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:52 am
Did you ever figure out what their cooldown period is? I tried a payment and my Coinbase card had the exact amount. Paypal did a .01 charge, then a charge for the full amount so it was declined. Tried again with more money added on the CB and and it didnt even try my coinbase card, just my backup bank account. I have now removed my bank account and it won’t even load the bill pay section now.
No idea. I used my wife’s account to help manage any issues. Some combination of removing the cards, removing the merchant from automatic payments, and waiting some time worked occasionally.
czaj

Post by czaj »

I've been trying to add an additional Chase account using the PayPal bills feature. Has anybody been able to add a new account lately? I've been able to pay existing accounts no problem, but when I try to add a new Chase account I get an error "Something went wrong. Try again."
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

need403bhelp wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:54 pm Thanks. I'm probably getting closer to that point, although the utility company is still looking for the missing payment (I contacted them only after being horribly frustrated by PayPal support as I wasn't clear anything was sent to them and am still not clear that something was sent) and also, somehow, my PayPal case has been re-opened now as a "missing credit" although I'm not really sure that will be a fruitful avenue either.
It's been over a month since this was posted. What was result? I am interested as this lack of PayPal support could be a huge issue for someone making a large property tax payment, etc. Let us know....
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

AllMostThere wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:13 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:54 pm Thanks. I'm probably getting closer to that point, although the utility company is still looking for the missing payment (I contacted them only after being horribly frustrated by PayPal support as I wasn't clear anything was sent to them and am still not clear that something was sent) and also, somehow, my PayPal case has been re-opened now as a "missing credit" although I'm not really sure that will be a fruitful avenue either.
It's been over a month since this was posted. What was result? I am interested as this lack of PayPal support could be a huge issue for someone making a large property tax payment, etc. Let us know....
I finally escalated to executive team and they resolved case in my favor. I suppose could do that again although not a horribly pleasant experience overall. Otherwise, I really don’t think I was getting anywhere via regular channels.

I was mostly surprised as it wasn’t a new payor and prior payments credited correctly.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I made my first test bill pay this week to my water company for $50.33. Today, 3 days later I received notice that my card was being refunded $50.33 as the payment was returned.

Not a great start.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

need403bhelp wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:19 pm
AllMostThere wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:13 pm
I finally escalated to executive team and they resolved case in my favor. I suppose could do that again although not a horribly pleasant experience overall. Otherwise, I really don’t think I was getting anywhere via regular channels.

I was mostly surprised as it wasn’t a new payor and prior payments credited correctly.
Weird. One of my utilities' website seemingly every other month does not show the PayPal BillPay payment credited (sometimes it shows up immediately, sometimes it shows up a month later, sometimes it never shows up). However, when I call that utility company they confirm a payment is recevied and I have a zero balance. But without fail, the next months statement DOES show that a payment was made (and always in the correct amount). So I have just accepted this weird glitch, and any time their website does not show the payment credited, I call them to confirm my current balance and last received payment. I do not hae this issue at all with my other utility companies when using PayPAl BillPay.

Fortunately the largest single utility bill is usually only around $400, and that would either be a summer electricity bill or winter heating bill. For much of the year each bill is $200 or less. I usually pay them a couple of weeks before they are due, so worst case I can always just make an alternate payment if it never shows up. But based on need403bhelp's experience, I would be very wary of make a substantial payment.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Interesting behavior with PayPal BillPay today. This may be of interest to Discover Card holders since the 5% cash back catagory for PayPal purchases started July 1.

When I normally use PayPal BillPay, I have it set to pay immediately. This time I scheduled 3 utility bills (using Discover Card as the payment source) to pay on July 5. So far this morning 2 of the bills appear to have been "processed" by PayPal BillPay as my Discover Card has been charged and emailed receipts from PayPal have been sent (however, they list the transaction date as July 4 - not scheduled July 5). I am still waiting on the third bill to be processed, I assume that will happen sometime later today (or maybe tomorrow?). My Discover Card has not yet been charged, so it is not the same situation as the prior poster whose money disappeared. The one thing I don't like about scheduling a payment ahead of time, is there is no emailed confirmation of the scheduled bill, and the only proof anything has been scheduled is if you login to your PayPal account and look at the "Bills" you can see scheduled payment. However, for my current remaining payment, there no longer appears any scheduled payment even though nothing shows up on transactions either yet (I assume that will sort it self out today/tomorrow). But something I will keep an eye on. My bill is not due for another few weeks, so worse case I can just pay the bill directly on the utility company's website (they accept credit card without a fee, but I would lose out on the 5% cash back from Discover Card for using PayPal). I don't like that there is no email sent out confirming a scheduled payment, next time I may just avoid scheduling payments ahead of time and just pay immediately, so that instantly generates a receipt email.

UPDATE: my 3rd bill payment finally shows as processed by PayPal, I received a receipt email from PayPal and my CC was charged. But it shows July 5 as the payment date (not July 4 as the first 2).
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I have used PP Bill Pay for several of my local Water bills with good success. I now have my July Property Tax bill and desire to pay via PP Bill Pay with my Fidelity 2% CC. I am somewhat hesitant due to "missing payment" issue voiced by one user. This is my Property Tax bill if it goes missing I will be screwed and probably late. Looking for either other users with "missing payment" issues or others that have paid property tax without issue. Maybe also a little encouragement..... :twisted:
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
greybus

Post by greybus »

AllMostThere wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:49 am I have used PP Bill Pay for several of my local Water bills with good success. I now have my July Property Tax bill and desire to pay via PP Bill Pay with my Fidelity 2% CC. I am somewhat hesitant due to "missing payment" issue voiced by one user. This is my Property Tax bill if it goes missing I will be screwed and probably late. Looking for either other users with "missing payment" issues or others that have paid property tax without issue. Maybe also a little encouragement..... :twisted:
I had made a test payment of $5 to my county property tax collector through PayPal Billpay and the payment did not go through. I had several back and forth with PayPay help and the county. The County said the payment did not post and PayPal was no help since there really isn't a category to troubleshoot BillPay problems, at least that I could find at the time. I didn't bother to try to call them since I had already submitted a case review online and they denied me three times.

Someone here posted that some counties may not accept partial property tax payments. I asked my county tax collector and they indeed said they do not accept partial payments. I ended up taking the risk, making a full payment through PayPal Billpay and it went through. I've not been able to find out where the lost $5 payment went, it was never refunded to me and did not show up as a tax payment credit. I would suggest if you are considering trying PayPal Billpay for your property tax, do it early so you can pay an alternate way if it does not go through and be ready to call PayPal to inquire if any problems for a refund, don't file a ticket online. Good luck!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

greybus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:25 am
AllMostThere wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:49 am I have used PP Bill Pay for several of my local Water bills with good success. I now have my July Property Tax bill and desire to pay via PP Bill Pay with my Fidelity 2% CC. I am somewhat hesitant due to "missing payment" issue voiced by one user. This is my Property Tax bill if it goes missing I will be screwed and probably late. Looking for either other users with "missing payment" issues or others that have paid property tax without issue. Maybe also a little encouragement..... :twisted:
I had made a test payment of $5 to my county property tax collector through PayPal Billpay and the payment did not go through. I had several back and forth with PayPay help and the county. The County said the payment did not post and PayPal was no help since there really isn't a category to troubleshoot BillPay problems, at least that I could find at the time. I didn't bother to try to call them since I had already submitted a case review online and they denied me three times.

Someone here posted that some counties may not accept partial property tax payments. I asked my county tax collector and they indeed said they do not accept partial payments. I ended up taking the risk, making a full payment through PayPal Billpay and it went through. I've not been able to find out where the lost $5 payment went, it was never refunded to me and did not show up as a tax payment credit. I would suggest if you are considering trying PayPal Billpay for your property tax, do it early so you can pay an alternate way if it does not go through and be ready to call PayPal to inquire if any problems for a refund, don't file a ticket online. Good luck!
Wow, so you are still out $5?
greybus

Post by greybus »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:27 am

Yup, lesson learned. If doing a test payment, only do it for $1! (Or maybe the lesson is be ready to get burned when trying to optimize and save some dollars with cashback). I do feel that PayPal BillPay is super finicky and there seems to be a lack of support or email/documentation about what is actually happening behind the scenes. Half of the time when trying to pay bills, it says "Something went wrong, try again". Also the process to add new accounts does not make me very confident as it seems there's no way to positively confirm you've got the correct account unless they are able to find the corresponding E-bill, which only occured once for me. This may be because PayPal is using Paymentus as their service provider for BillPay.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

greybus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:38 am
anon_investor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:27 am

Yup, lesson learned. If doing a test payment, only do it for $1! (Or maybe the lesson is be ready to get burned when trying to optimize and save some dollars with cashback). I do feel that PayPal BillPay is super finicky and there seems to be a lack of support or email/documentation about what is actually happening behind the scenes. Half of the time when trying to pay bills, it says "Something went wrong, try again". Also the process to add new accounts does not make me very confident as it seems there's no way to positively confirm you've got the correct account unless they are able to find the corresponding E-bill, which only occured once for me. This may be because PayPal is using Paymentus as their service provider for BillPay.
I have only used PayPal BillPay for 3 utility companies. 2 of them seem to work flawlessly, my online accounts for those 2 utility companies always show payment made in about 2 business days from when the PayPal BillPay is scheduled. The 3rd utility company's website only shows payment about 50% of the time (whereas if I do an ACH directly from their website it shows that it is credited within 2-3 business days). I have to call the utility company to confirm payment was received. However, when the new bill does come each month, it accurately reflects the payment and the website also accurately reflects that a payment was made, so it may be more of an issue with their poor website than PayPal BillPay.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

PayPal bill pay is pretty fickle. One of my bills frequently reflects the payment in 2 business days. But then randomly it took a full week / 5 business days. This was once out of probably 20 payments I've made with it so far. It made me a bit nervous but it did post eventually without any intervention from my part. I'm not sure if it was PayPal side or biller side that caused the delay.
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

About a week ago, I got an email offer from Citi for my double cash card that said:
Activate this special offer by 9/15/2022 to start earning 5 Bonus ThankYou® Points per $1 spent - up to 3,000 points total - in addition to what your card normally earns on eligible PayPal purchases with your linked Citi® Card through 9/30/2022.

I registered and then paid a utility bill via paypal, but it looks like I will get 5%, not the expected 7%. They gave me bonus points equal to 4X what the utility bill payment was and presumably I will get another 1X after the bill is paid. This doesn't seem to match the offer terms, but I guess I'll take the 5%.

Post by 808 »

jeffyscott wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:55 pm About a week ago, I got an email offer from Citi for my double cash card that said:
Activate this special offer by 9/15/2022 to start earning 5 Bonus ThankYou® Points per $1 spent - up to 3,000 points total - in addition to what your card normally earns on eligible PayPal purchases with your linked Citi® Card through 9/30/2022.

I registered and then paid a utility bill via paypal, but it looks like I will get 5%, not the expected 7%. They gave me bonus points equal to 4X what the utility bill payment was and presumably I will get another 1X after the bill is paid. This doesn't seem to match the offer terms, but I guess I'll take the 5%.
Where in your account do you see the 4x bonus points? I got the same offer, registered, then made a Paypal payment but when looking at the specific transaction on the website, I see only 1x the number of points next to the amount. I do not see any "bonus" points.
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

808 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:29 am
jeffyscott wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:55 pm About a week ago, I got an email offer from Citi for my double cash card that said:

Where in your account do you see the 4x bonus points? I got the same offer, registered, then made a Paypal payment but when looking at the specific transaction on the website, I see only 1x the number of points next to the amount. I do not see any "bonus" points.
The bonus points are only on the statement, as far as I can tell. There is a section that shows "thank you point balance" and then lists the points earned for Purchases, Payments, and Bonus Earned this Period. So my points for purchases are equal the statement total, less the amount of the bill that I paid via paypal and then bonus points are equal to 4X the amount of the bill that was excluded from purchases (even though it is listed under "standard purchases"). Also confirming that the bill payment did not count as an eligible purchase, below that is a section that lists the total eligible purchases and this amount also excludes the exact amount of the bill that I paid.

But where do you see the points for an individual transaction on the website? I could not find any place that shows that.

Post by 808 »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:55 am
808 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:29 am

The bonus points are only on the statement, as far as I can tell. There is a section that shows "thank you point balance" and then lists the points earned for Purchases, Payments, and Bonus Earned this Period. So my points for purchases are equal the statement total, less the amount of the bill that I paid via paypal and then bonus points are equal to 4X the amount of the bill that was excluded from purchases (even though it is listed under "standard purchases"). Also confirming that the bill payment did not count as an eligible purchase, below that is a section that lists the total eligible purchases and this amount also excludes the exact amount of the bill that I paid.

But where do you see the points for an individual transaction on the website? I could not find any place that shows that.
When I log into the website, on the left hand side of the page, I see a list of the cards I have under the heading "CREDIT CARDS". If I click on the specific card, the left hand side of the page does not change but the right hand side now shows details about the selected card. On the right hand side in the "Transactions" section, I see Date, Description, Amount, Rewards, Running Balance.

For the paypal transaction, I see $40.83 in the Amount column and 41 points in the Rewards column.
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

808 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:34 pm When I log into the website, on the left hand side of the page, I see a list of the cards I have under the heading "CREDIT CARDS". If I click on the specific card, the left hand side of the page does not change but the right hand side now shows details about the selected card. On the right hand side in the "Transactions" section, I see Date, Description, Amount, Rewards, Running Balance.

For the paypal transaction, I see $40.83 in the Amount column and 41 points in the Rewards column.
That's odd, I don't have a rewards column. Here are the column headings that show up for me for the double cash card:

My Custom Cash card does show a rewards column, but it just has an icon representing the category, e.g. a grocery cart indicating grocery category.

Post by 808 »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:20 am
808 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:34 pm When I log into the website, on the left hand side of the page, I see a list of the cards I have under the heading "CREDIT CARDS". If I click on the specific card, the left hand side of the page does not change but the right hand side now shows details about the selected card. On the right hand side in the "Transactions" section, I see Date, Description, Amount, Rewards, Running Balance.

That's odd, I don't have a rewards column. Here are the column headings that show up for me for the double cash card:

My Custom Cash card does show a rewards column, but it just has an icon representing the category, e.g. a grocery cart indicating grocery category.
Interesting. I had only looked at the card (Prestige) with the offer. I just checked all my Citi cards and the Prestige and Premier have numerical values in the Rewards column. As you noted, the Double Cash doesn't have that column (my guess is because it wasn't always a ThankYou points card). The Costco Anywhere (also not a ThankYou points card) doesn't have that column. I'm not sure why the Custom Cash card is different. I guess this is Citi being Citi. :oops:
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

808 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:11 am
jeffyscott wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:20 am

Interesting. I had only looked at the card with the offer. I just checked all my Citi cards and the Prestige and Premier have numerical values in the Rewards column. As you noted, the Double Cash doesn't have that column (my guess is because it wasn't always a ThankYou points card). The Costco Anywhere (also not a ThankYou points card) doesn't have that column. I'm not sure why the Custom Cash card is different. I guess this is Citi being Citi. :oops:
Oh, so you had the offer on a different card. Anyway, maybe your bonus will only show when the statement closes and they may do that because there is a cap of 3000 bonus points (at least that was my cap).

I paid a different utility bill via paypal with this card and also made an actual purchase, just curious to see how they treat these. The bonus is not worth much to me, since I can get 5% with other cards, if they were to actually give me 7% the additional amount would be only 2% on a max of $600, so $12.

I think custom cash doesn't show an amount for rewards, because it could change if a different category becomes the leader. That wouldn't happen to us optimizers who use it for only one category, but might for regular people.
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

Has anyone successfully paid Discover using paypal via coinbase debit card? I am getting "Sorry, we weren't able to authorize your card. Please choose another way to pay."

I am able to pay Citi Card and US Bank Card using paypal via coinbase card.

Also, paypal support is not very good. It's like they don't care if their system works or not, lol.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

My PayPal bill payments with debit cards to credit card bills suddenly stopped working for me today it. It was working last week for me. Anybody else? I just get a generic something went wrong message.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Does anyone know if Chase Freedom/Freedom Flex will do PayPal as a 5% cash back catagory again for 4Q?
czaj

Post by czaj »

MrJedi wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:12 am My PayPal bill payments with debit cards to credit card bills suddenly stopped working for me today it. It was working last week for me. Anybody else? I just get a generic something went wrong message.
I've been able to pay most cards fine lately.

Sometime something happens with a specific bank. For example, I couldn't pay any Chase cards which I assume was some coding error behind the scenes. I decided to delete my account and create a clean one and that worked like a charm.

I am currently having issues paying Barclaycards--my wife's account has the same issue so not sure what's going on there.
czaj

Post by czaj »

frugalor wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:26 pm Has anyone successfully paid Discover using paypal via coinbase debit card? I am getting "Sorry, we weren't able to authorize your card. Please choose another way to pay."

Also, paypal support is not very good. It's like they don't care if their system works or not, lol.
I was able to last month, but haven't tried yet this month. Try using a different device and the PayPal app on your phone or tablet. I've had some weird stuff happen on my computer, but an android tablet worked for whatever quirky reason.
czaj

Post by czaj »

MrJedi wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:12 am My PayPal bill payments with debit cards to credit card bills suddenly stopped working for me today it. It was working last week for me. Anybody else? I just get a generic something went wrong message.
frugalor wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:26 pm Has anyone successfully paid Discover using paypal via coinbase debit card? I am getting "Sorry, we weren't able to authorize your card. Please choose another way to pay."

Alright, just tried Chase, American Express, and Barclays and got the "Something went wrong" message on my computer.
dew19931010

Post by dew19931010 »

czaj wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:24 pm

Alright, just tried Chase, American Express, and Barclays and got the "Something went wrong" message on my computer.
I also can't get it to work anymore. Used to use it on all my cards, and my car payment. I tried removing the bills and readding them, waiting some time to use Paypal, using different devices / browsers. I even signed my wife up for the coinbase debit card to test it on a different debit and it still doesn't work.
czaj

Post by czaj »

Has anyone tried another payment method yet (bank?)? Perhaps this is a glitch for all payment methods and will hopefully get resolved.
dew19931010

Post by dew19931010 »

It cleared for my normal bank debit card. I'm not sure if somethings changed on Paypals end, or Coinbases to make it suddenly stop working.
czaj

Post by czaj »

Got a Chase payment to work by scheduling for a future date.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

czaj wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:18 pm Got a Chase payment to work by scheduling for a future date.
To clarify you used Coinbase card and scheduled a future date and the charge ended up going through?

I tried paying a small credit union CC bill again today and got the generic something wrong message again. I scheduled a payment tomorrow and it seemed to stick, but we'll see if it actually works.

I feel like this extra cashback booster's days are numbered. There's a separate Fintech debit card I use in a similar way (only pays 1% though), and they outright mentioned that PayPal started changing the way some of the bill payments get coded sometime in July. They no longer receive any revenue for some of the PayPal bill payments but it still works for others, so they said they are only paying cashback for the ones that do generate revenue for them.

Also, PayPal has been updating their terms recently in July, August, Etc. and they've been updating their fee schedules and also including more exclusions on what types of payments are allowed. It seems to be in the direction of tightening (lowering expenses for PayPal, increasing fees paid to PayPal, etc.). It would not surprise me if this tightening on bill payments is all related to the stuff they've been modifying lately to pinch more pennies.
czaj

Post by czaj »

MrJedi wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:28 am
To clarify you used Coinbase card and scheduled a future date and the charge ended up going through?
That’s right, but it hasn’t worked with all banks.