Costco Citi card no longer offers extended warranty??

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Saving$

Costco Citi card no longer offers extended warranty??

Post by Saving$ »

In trying to determine the specific terms of the Costco Citi card extended warranty, it seems this card no longer offers an extended warranty.
There is a post about this at WalletHub, and the Citi Costco site makes no mention of the extended warranty as a benefit of the card.

HOWEVER, if I log onto my Costco card, select "Rewards & Benefits" then "Card Benefits", it lists Extended warranty as a benefit, and states: "Included with Your Card Warranties run out. Get an extra 24 months added to your warranty when you purchase items at least in part with your Citi card and/or your Costco credit card reward certificate. In the event of a covered failure, the item will be repaired or you will be reimbursed up to the amount charged on your Citi card (including Costco credit card reward certificate) or the cost to replace the item, whichever is less, up to $10,000"

So is it only people applying for a new card that don't get the extended warranty, and I'm grandfathered in, or is the Citi website not yet updated or what?

I know if I buy FROM Costco there is an extended warranty, but I'm looking at an electronics item that is $400 less at a national retailer than it is at Costco. With the national retailer standard 1 year warranty + 24 months on the Costco Citi card I would have 3 years warranty, vs 4 years if I buy from Costco. I think I would rather have the $400 than the one year extra warranty.
JoMoney

Re: Costco Citi card no longer offers extended warranty??

Post by JoMoney »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:09 am... I think I would rather have the $400 than the one year extra warranty.
I agree, but I probably wouldn't be buying something I was expecting might fail to begin with.

I don't know about the terms of the card, but I would point out that seems like a pretty steep price difference. Curious if it's the exact same model, or if the lower cost one might be a refurb or some other difference. Costco is usually very low markup on the products they sell.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:21 am
Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:09 am... I think I would rather have the $400 than the one year extra warranty.
I agree, but I probably wouldn't be buying something I was expecting might fail to begin with.

I don't know about the terms of the card, but I would point out that seems like a pretty steep price difference. Curious if it's the exact same model, or if the lower cost one might be a refurb or some other difference. Costco is usually very low markup on the products they sell.
I expect that with any electronics, the possibility of failure is there, thus I'd like to be protected by the best combination of cost/warranty.
Yes, it is the exact same model number, and it is not a refurb and does not have another difference.
Bluemnatra

Post by Bluemnatra »

When I login to my account it still says the Extended Warranty is one of my benefits.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan"
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I ran across that misinformation :?: on wallethub, when I was double checking on extended warranty on an $1800 TV. I have not seen that information reported anywhere else and in addition to the credit card site, Costco also still shows it as a benefit of the card:
https://customerservice.costco.com/app/ ... roducts%3F
https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-pl ... ranty.html

In my case, I wasn't looking at any price difference, just deciding whether to use the 2% rebate card or put in on another card, where I am working on a bonus. We also recently put a washer and dryer on that card, even though we did not buy at Costco, it was worth taking the 1% rebate vs. the 2% from another card for the extra warranty. This amounted to about a $15 difference for an extra year or two of warranty. I would not pay $400 extra for a year (or even multiple years) of extended warranty, though.
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

I was confused as well as Costco has taken off any indications of the extended warranty on their website so I called Costco last week and the rep confirmed to me that the extra 2 years still does apply using the citi visa for electronics (although I kind of wish I had asked via chat to have some type of written evidence), but for me Costco was already the cheapest option for the laptop I wanted so the extra warranty was just icing on the cake.

Also, whenever credit cards change benefits I believe the issuer has to notify the customers of the changes to the terms and I don't believe Citi has sent out anything related to removing this benefit so I'm still pretty confident that it applies... I think Citi just wants to low key have less people take advantage of it is my best guess.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Um, you do not "expect" something to fail, but you prepare in the event that it does, which is the whole point of a warranty from the manufacturer (and aforementioned warranty extension provided by the credit card). Do you like it when things fail the day after the return window expires and you have no warranty? Me either.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

The Citi website for the Costco Visa card doesn't say anything about the extended warranty, but the Costco website for the card still mentions it.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Gryphon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:00 pm The Citi website for the Costco Visa card doesn't say anything about the extended warranty, but the Costco website for the card still mentions it.
I just purchased some electronics from Costco. It said in the store, use your Costco Visa card and extend your warranty by 2 years.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Gryphon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:00 pm The Citi website for the Costco Visa card doesn't say anything about the extended warranty, but the Costco website for the card still mentions it.
It is on this Citi site:
https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Produ ... ranty.aspx

And with your link, that's 3 places where it's mentioned on Costco's, I had posted 2 other pages with it above.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Um, you do not "expect" something to fail, but you prepare in the event that it does, which is the whole point of a warranty from the manufacturer (and aforementioned warranty extension provided by the credit card). Do you like it when things fail the day after the return window expires and you have no warranty? Me either.
Derailing a bit, I know (sorry OP). I think the point is that $400 is a lot to pay for a 12-month warranty unless you’re buying something that is both very expensive and notoriously unreliable. Or if you can’t do without the item, and couldn’t afford to replace it.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:10 pm It is on this Citi site:
https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Produ ... ranty.aspx
I think you have to have a Costco Visa & be logged in to Citi's website to see that page. When I try to look at it I get redirected here.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

4.5 years ago, I bought a $4000 hot tub with my Costco card. It had a 2 year manufacturer warranty . The Costco card extended it to 4 years. If I wanted to buy a hot tub with 4 or 5 years manufacturer warranty, I would have had to pay $8000 - $10000.

Having owned a hot tub before, I fully expected that there would be repairs. And there were, to the tune of about $3000. About $1000 was under manufacturer warranty. $2000 was after 2 years. One was at 3 years and 11 months Citi paid for every last cent. Nowadays, my Costco card is in my Samsung pay. I use it only for big ticket items to extend the warranty. My Costco membership card is in my Costco app.

If you are wondering whether the benefit is worthwhile on a given item, ask if an extended warranty can be purchased. If not, it's a very good bet that you should be using the Costco card to purchase it.

I typed this post in my hot tub. One of the best purchases I ever made.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Costco may differ but in general Citi has removed many insurance benefits from their cards, claiming lack of use/interest from customers. AFAIK, my Citi double cash gets 2% cash back but little else in terms of perks.

Amex and Chase have kept many of these perks, but many other banks are phasing them out.
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

So it seems others are also seeing what I am seeing - the warranty is listed when you log onto your Costco Visa card account, but no listed if you just go to Citi to learn about a Costco Visa.

Since the warranty is listed on my specific account page, I will take a screenshot of that on the day I purchase the item and keep it with my paperwork.

Based on the posts above and the warranty terms on the website, is this the correct understanding of the this warranty coverage?:

1. It applies to any purchase made with the Costco Citi card, whether made at Costco or elsewhere, as long as purchased from a regular retailed (ie not purchased from an auction site), and as long as the item is new (ie not a refurb, or open box)
2. It applies to any type of purchase, not just electronics. So for example, if you used the Costco Citi Visa to buy a piece of furniture with a 3 year warranty at another retailed, and something broke in year 4, you could get it fixed via a claim on the Costco Citi Visa.
l8_apex

Post by l8_apex »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:52 am So it seems others are also seeing what I am seeing - the warranty is listed when you log onto your Costco Visa card account, but not listed if you just go to Citi to learn about a Costco Visa..
I'd disagree with that. https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Produ ... ranty.aspx
drk

Post by drk »

l8_apex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:33 am I'd disagree with that. https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Produ ... ranty.aspx
You're looking at a post-login page. Try opening that in an incognito window.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
drk

Post by drk »

beyou wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:30 pm Costco may differ but in general Citi has removed many insurance benefits from their cards, claiming lack of use/interest from customers. AFAIK, my Citi double cash gets 2% cash back but little else in terms of perks.
Almost all other Citi cards have kept the 24-month extended warranty. I see it listed for my Rewards+ card, for example.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
l8_apex

Post by l8_apex »

drk wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:58 am
l8_apex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:33 am I'd disagree with that. https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Produ ... ranty.aspx
Interesting. Actually I wasn't logged in. I merely did a google search for "costco citi card extended warranty" then opened the first search result.
suanccd

Post by suanccd »

l8_apex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:03 pm
drk wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:58 am
Interesting. Actually I wasn't logged in. I merely did a google search for "costco citi card extended warranty" then opened the first search result.
The address from google search is actually:
https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Produ ... spx?p=525v
This works without login.
drk

Post by drk »

l8_apex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:03 pm Interesting. Actually I wasn't logged in. I merely did a google search for "costco citi card extended warranty" then opened the first search result.
That's interesting. Just tried that myself and ended up on the Extended Warranty detail page for the Citi Costco Business card. It looks like Google indexed the page and evades the redirect with the query string "p=525v" (link).
beyou

Post by beyou »

drk wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:03 pm
beyou wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:30 pm Costco may differ but in general Citi has removed many insurance benefits from their cards, claiming lack of use/interest from customers. AFAIK, my Citi double cash gets 2% cash back but little else in terms of perks.
Almost all other Citi cards have kept the 24-month extended warranty. I see it listed for my Rewards+ card, for example.
I do not see that among the “benefits” when I login for my Citi double cash card. I used to have a Citi Div Rewards card and recall they dropped many benefits. That and terrible service, closed that card.
drk

Post by drk »

beyou wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:26 pm I do not see that among the “benefits” when I login for my Citi double cash card. I used to have a Citi Div Rewards card and recall they dropped many benefits. That and terrible service, closed that card.
Correct. Note that I said "almost all other" because the Double Cash did have its benefits nixed.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:09 am So is it only people applying for a new card that don't get the extended warranty, and I'm grandfathered in, or is the Citi website not yet updated or what?
I received the welcome package for my new Costco Visa today (still waiting on the card itself). The benefit guide in the package was dated 7/21 and it still has the section about the extended warranty. So they have not phased it out for new card holders and you are not grandfathered in.
alwyn

Post by alwyn »

Received our welcome package on 12/28 and I can't find any mention of the extended warranty.
jgalt133

Post by jgalt133 »

Was there any conclusion as to whether the extended warranty is still in effect for new credit card applications? I'm about to apply for the card just for the two years extended warranty coverage.
DaveHanson

Post by DaveHanson »

Bump.

It no longer appears to be listed as a benefit on either Citi or Costco web pages.

And this appliance page implies that using the Citi Costco card adds nothing at all to the warranty:

https://www.costco.com/appliance-warran ... lator.html
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

DaveHanson wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:32 pm Bump.

It no longer appears to be listed as a benefit on either Citi or Costco web pages.

And this appliance page implies that using the Citi Costco card adds nothing at all to the warranty:

Warranty doubling is also missing from the computer product pages on Costco.com where it used to be prominently featured. I expect it's gone
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

nalor511 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:02 pm
DaveHanson wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:32 pm Bump.

Warranty doubling is also missing from the computer product pages on Costco.com where it used to be prominently featured. I expect it's gone
I still see it as a benefit when I log into Citibank:

Under the following tree:
Rewards and Benefits
Card Benefits
Shopping Benefits
Extended Warranty

Included with Your Card
Warranties run out. Get an extra 24 months added to your warranty when you purchase items at least in part with your Citi card and/or your Costco credit card reward certificate. In the event of a covered failure, the item will be repaired or you will be reimbursed up to the amount charged on your Citi card (including Costco credit card reward certificate) or the cost to replace the item, whichever is less, up to $10,000.

Some Important Details
Coverage begins when the manufacturer’s warranty, or an extended warranty you bought, expires.
In no event will total coverage exceed seven years from the purchase date.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

The card benefits page is at: https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/default.aspx (requires log in to see your own benefits page)

On the side there is a link to a pdf for benefits effective 9/22/19, extended warranty is on page 14 of that. The last report above from a new cardholder was Dec. 28, and their guide still had the extended warranty.

It's possible there has been an update for new cardholders since then, but, at a minimum, it has at least not yet been taken away from anyone who got the card prior to 2022.

Costco has not been showing it on product pages for a while, it was not shown on pages for TVs when I was shopping last fall. And now the links to Costco pages that I had posted above last October also no longer show it. One get's a 404, page not found and the other now says:

We offer our members two ways to extend their warranty on many of the products sold at Costco:
1. Through Costco Concierge Services - applicable items are automatically enrolled in an extended warranty up to 2 years from the date of purchase.
2. Purchasing extended warranty coverage through Allstate Protection Plans.
Using both can get you up to 5 years* of warranty coverage on qualifying products!

Based on that, which previously also listed the credit card two year extended warranty, my guess is that they have stopped providing this benefit to new card members sometime this year. I'm sure we will get a notice if/when they take it away from existing cardholders and it will remain in effect for anything purchased prior to that date.

I found the agreement and that runs to at least 2026, with a Costco option to extend to 2029:
...the Program shall commence on April 1, 2016, or such other date as may be agreed by the Parties (the “Program Effective Date”). The term of this Agreement shall commence on the date hereof, and shall continue until the date that is ten (10) years after the Program Effective Date (the “Initial Term”); provided, however, in Costco’s sole discretion the Initial Term may be extended by three (3) years (such that the Initial Term shall be a total of thirteen (13) years in duration...
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... a51015.htm

Previously Costco had indicated up to 7 years of warranty (2 year Mfr, 3 year Allstate, 2 year Citi). As of 2022, that 7 years would extend to 2029. So this may explain what is happening. They are not offering the warranty, since it may extend beyond the term of the contract between Costco and Citi.

My guess is, since reports are this has not been a good deal for Citi, we'll be exclusively using Discover at Costco sometime in 2029... :mrgreen:
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:54 am The card benefits page is at: https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/default.aspx (requires log in to see your own benefits page)

On the side there is a link to a pdf for benefits effective 9/22/19, extended warranty is on page 14 of that. The last report above from a new cardholder was Dec. 28, and their guide still had the extended warranty.

It's possible there has been an update for new cardholders since then, but, at a minimum, it has at least not yet been taken away from anyone who got the card prior to 2022.

Costco has not been showing it on product pages for a while, it was not shown on pages for TVs when I was shopping last fall. And now the links to Costco pages that I had posted above last October also no longer show it. One get's a 404, page not found and the other now says:

We offer our members two ways to extend their warranty on many of the products sold at Costco:
1. Through Costco Concierge Services - applicable items are automatically enrolled in an extended warranty up to 2 years from the date of purchase.
2. Purchasing extended warranty coverage through Allstate Protection Plans.
Using both can get you up to 5 years* of warranty coverage on qualifying products!

Based on that, which previously also listed the credit card two year extended warranty, my guess is that they have stopped providing this benefit to new card members sometime this year. I'm sure we will get a notice if/when they take it away from existing cardholders and it will remain in effect for anything purchased prior to that date.

I found the agreement and that runs to at least 2026, with a Costco option to extend to 2029:
...the Program shall commence on April 1, 2016, or such other date as may be agreed by the Parties (the “Program Effective Date”). The term of this Agreement shall commence on the date hereof, and shall continue until the date that is ten (10) years after the Program Effective Date (the “Initial Term”); provided, however, in Costco’s sole discretion the Initial Term may be extended by three (3) years (such that the Initial Term shall be a total of thirteen (13) years in duration...
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... a51015.htm

Previously Costco had indicated up to 7 years of warranty (2 year Mfr, 3 year Allstate, 2 year Citi). As of 2022, that 7 years would extend to 2029. So this may explain what is happening. They are not offering the warranty, since it may extend beyond the term of the contract between Costco and Citi.

My guess is, since reports are this has not been a good deal for Citi, we'll be exclusively using Discover at Costco sometime in 2029... :mrgreen:
If no one is giving extended warranty benefits, I will stick to using my BoA Customized Cash Rewards Visa at Costco for 3.5% cash back. Combined with a Costco Executive Membership, that is a total of 5.5% cash back. :beer
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

anon_investor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:10 am If no one is giving extended warranty benefits, I will stick to using my BoA Customized Cash Rewards Visa at Costco for 3.5% cash back. Combined with a Costco Executive Membership, that is a total of 5.5% cash back. :beer
To be clear it is only 3.5% with B of A preferred rewards status. But for others it is 2%, same as the co-branded Citi card. This is the reason this was a bad deal for Citi. Unlike Amex, this opened it up to any bank that issues a Visa card. As I recall, early on Chase decided to stick it to Citi by giving 5% at Warehouse clubs for the very first time ever during one quarter, which they have repeated occasionally since.

This is why I am predicting Discover as the next exclusive Costco card, since they can limit it to their own bank, like Amex.

We have used the Citi Costco card far less than we did the Amex one, we are just as likely to use a Fidelity Visa there, except for gas.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:03 am
anon_investor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:10 am If no one is giving extended warranty benefits, I will stick to using my BoA Customized Cash Rewards Visa at Costco for 3.5% cash back. Combined with a Costco Executive Membership, that is a total of 5.5% cash back. :beer
To be clear it is only 3.5% with B of A preferred rewards status. But for others it is 2%, same as the co-branded Citi card. This is the reason this was a bad deal for Citi. Unlike Amex, this opened it up to any bank that issues a Visa card. As I recall, early on Chase decided to stick it to Citi by giving 5% at Warehouse clubs for the very first time ever during one quarter, which they have repeated occasionally since.

This is why I am predicting Discover as the next exclusive Costco card, since they can limit it to their own bank, like Amex.

We have used the Citi Costco card far less than we did the Amex one, we are just as likely to use a Fidelity Visa there, except for gas.
Yeah, you need Platinum Honors tier Bank of America Preferred Rewards status to get 3.5% cash back at Costco. We only use our Citi Costco Visa for the 4% cash back on gas (we almost exclusively buy gas at Costco, so just tapping 1 CC to pay is easier).

Didn't BJ's use to only accept Discover?
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

anon_investor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:13 am

Yeah, you need Platinum Honors tier Bank of America Preferred Rewards status to get 3.5% cash back at Costco. We only use our Citi Costco Visa for the 4% cash back on gas (we almost exclusively buy gas at Costco, so just tapping 1 CC to pay is easier).

IDK, but the Woodman's stores here used to accept no credit cards at all, only cash, PIN debit, and checks. A few years ago they started accepting Discover.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:44 am
anon_investor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:13 am

IDK, but the Woodman's stores here used to accept no credit cards at all, only cash, PIN debit, and checks. A few years ago they started accepting Discover.
Reminds me of Aldi when I used to shop there, though I think they may take CCs now.

I think most no annual fee CCs have eroded their benefits especially extended warranty. My BoA Premium Rewards Visa still offers extended warranty as a benefit, but there is a $95 annual fee (though there are other benefits that make up for the fee).
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:54 am My guess is, since reports are this has not been a good deal for Citi...
I'm not doubting you but can you provide details on this?
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Luckywon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:32 am
jeffyscott wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:54 am My guess is, since reports are this has not been a good deal for Citi...
No, I just saw a few articles indicating that when searching for the length of the contract, so you may as well just ask google, yourself. :beer
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:03 am
No, I just saw a few articles indicating that when searching for the length of the contract, so you may as well just ask google, yourself. :beer
Actually I did, found nothing. No worries though. Again, no offense was intended.
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

I just got reimbursed ~$450 for a 3.5 year old whirlpool dishwasher repair, bought at Costco, using my Costco Visa

I also got re-imbursed (different company mastercard) for an oven heating element (which I replaced myself ~18 months ago), that failed ... so I got ~$190 for that part.

About 6 years ago, I got reimbursed $400 from AMEX for a tablet I left in an airplane seatback pocket.

~4 years ago, I got $300 to replace an offset umbrella, over a hot tub.

So these credit card benefits are valuable, if you take the time to take advantage of them.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Luckywon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:16 am
jeffyscott wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:03 am
Actually I did, found nothing. No worries though. Again, no offense was intended.
None taken, I just meant that I didn't have any special knowledge. Checking my history, I found one that I'd seen this morning:
https://viewfromthewing.com/citi-scored ... recovered/
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

I trust that most electronics, including TV, will outlive the Costco Extended Warranty. For household appliances, however, I prefer to buy from Home Depot or Lowe's and also buy the five year warranty, which includes repairs. I have had Lowe's replace a washing machine and a dryer for me in their 4th year when their repair person couldn't fix them. While alway a fan of Bosch dishwashers, I have been switching over to some European brands like Electrolux and Miele to replace Samsung or LG. GE Appliances in my book is still one of the more dependable brands even with it new Chinese ownership.

Oh, as a BH habit, my wife or I usually apply for a new credit card from the big big box stores when we purchase a big item to get the signup bonus.
JDave

Post by JDave »

Something to keep in mind is that things tend to fail either early, due to defects in manufacturing or materials, or late due to wear and age.
That's why offering mid-term warranties is cheap.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

arf1410 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:59 am I just got reimbursed ~$450 for a 3.5 year old whirlpool dishwasher repair, bought at Costco, using my Costco Visa
May I ask whether Costco Visa picked the repair company or did they allow you to choose one? I'm curious because i needed warranty covered repairs to a Whirlpool refrigerator and the repair companies that Whirlpool contracted with were abysmal.
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

Luckywon wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:38 am
arf1410 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:59 am I just got reimbursed ~$450 for a 3.5 year old whirlpool dishwasher repair, bought at Costco, using my Costco Visa
May I ask whether Costco Visa picked the repair company or did they allow you to choose one? I'm curious because i needed warranty covered repairs to a Whirlpool refrigerator and the repair companies that Whirlpool contracted with were abysmal.
I picked the repair company, paid for the repair, and submitted the receipts for reimbursement. The reimbursement was via a credit to my costco visa account, not a check issued to me. However, as I use the account regularly, that was effectively the same as cash reimbursement.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

arf1410 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:47 am
Luckywon wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:38 am
I picked the repair company, paid for the repair, and submitted the receipts for reimbursement. The reimbursement was via a credit to my costco visa account, not a check issued to me. However, as I use the account regularly, that was effectively the same as cash reimbursement.

Thanks, that's encouraging to hear. In my experience, being able to pick the repair company can make a world of difference, especially with appliances.

Based on my experience, the repair companies used by manufacturers are poorly regarded (1 star on Yelp) and I suspect are incentivized to find the failure is not covered by the warranty. This would please the manufacturer and the repair company can then charge you their own rates for the repair.

So in general, I suspect having an appliance repair during the Citi warranty period would be a better experience than during the original manufacturer's warranty.
j9j

Post by j9j »

Thanks for the heads up. I had held off the Costco visa as been happy with the increased cashback BoA cards. I had some
Appliance purchases coming up and was considering the Costco citi visa for its additional warranty. Well no more to that.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

j9j wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:49 am Thanks for the heads up. I had held off the Costco visa as been happy with the increased cashback BoA cards. I had some
Appliance purchases coming up and was considering the Costco citi visa for its additional warranty. Well no more to that.
If it makes you feel better, I have found Citi's card customer service very poor. If Costco does move away from them, I'll be delighted.

Amex does still have up to one year extended warranty on at least their Platinum card.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I know lots of folks don’t like annual fees but the US Bank Altitude Reserve is the best in store Costco card. You get a nice 4.5% back as long as you pay with Apple/Samsung/Google Pay. You get 12 months extended warranty on warranties of 3 years or less.

US Bank uses Eclaimsline so if you’re happy with Chase’s customer service on the extended warranty, you should receive the same experience with US Bank.