EFTPS re-sign-up, and DirectPay

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
AQ

EFTPS re-sign-up, and DirectPay

Post by AQ »

I used to have an EFTPS account, but didn't use it for years and couldn't log in. IRS told me I had to re-sign up since a dormant account was wiped out (so after I re-open the account all previous records are gone?)

Of course I could simply go straight to use DirectPay.

My question is: if I re-sign up with EFTPS, do I have to enter exactly the same registration info, like banking account #as the first time I enrolled? I forgot which one I used last time. Also I'm not sure if I signed up as a joint account or an individual account (I always file tax as MFJ).

Also, is it OK to have an EFTPS account but also use DirectPay? I may not get my EFTPS account setup on time so I may have to resort to DirectPay.

My concern is that sometimes an insignificant discrepancy like aforementioned could cause unnecessary delays so I try to avoid any known pitfalls here.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
AlohaJoe

Re: EFTPS re-sign-up, and DirectPay

Post by AlohaJoe »

AQ wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:26 pm Of course I could simply go straight to use DirectPay.
I don't have any experience with ETFPS -- I've used Direct Pay for years -- so I can't directly answer your questions but I wonder: why are you bothering with ETFPS at all, given the looming tax deadline? Just use Direct Pay next week and be done with it. Then sort out ETFPS over the next 12 months. I highly doubt the IRS knows or cares if you use both. But why even take a chance right now when there is literally zero upside to messing around with ETFPS?

The IRS says ETFPS is the "best option for businesses or large payment". You're not a business. The IRS defines "a large payment" as over $10 million. Are you paying over $10 million in taxes?

It feels like you're creating stress for yourself when you don't need to.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

AQ wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:26 pm I used to have an EFTPS account, but didn't use it for years and couldn't log in. IRS told me I had to re-sign up since a dormant account was wiped out (so after I re-open the account all previous records are gone?)

Of course I could simply go straight to use DirectPay.

My question is: if I re-sign up with EFTPS, do I have to enter exactly the same registration info, like banking account #as the first time I enrolled? I forgot which one I used last time. Also I'm not sure if I signed up as a joint account or an individual account (I always file tax as MFJ).

Also, is it OK to have an EFTPS account but also use DirectPay? I may not get my EFTPS account setup on time so I may have to resort to DirectPay.

My concern is that sometimes an insignificant discrepancy like aforementioned could cause unnecessary delays so I try to avoid any known pitfalls here.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
1) No

2) No

3) Yes
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

AQ wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:26 pmAlso, is it OK to have an EFTPS account but also use DirectPay?
I set up EFTPS years ago and never used it. I used DirectPay first a few days after setting up EFTPS and ever since. So YES, it is OK to have an EFTPS account and use DrrectPay in my experience.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.