Documenting my investments in real time for future reference: bought my gold

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
steve321

Documenting my investments in real time for future reference: bought my gold

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 am

Following my earlier post on investing in gold and Zoom, I have developed some doubts on the latter, thanks in particular to those posters who pointed out the high P/E of the company. However, as a momentum investor, I am still quite attracted to the stock so I might still go ahead. Will depend on the vibes I get during my meditation. As my mentor Ray Dalio says, it's often in meditation that you get your best ideas.
Concerning gold, I have gone ahead and actually bought physical gold instead of an ETC. Bought 21.4 Kg at a price of 46350 pound sterling/Kg, roughly 57390 dollars/Kg.
Let's see how it plays out in the next few years. Wish me luck. May you all prosper. :sharebeer
Success does not bring happiness. In fact, happiness IS success. | 'There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.' Oscar Wilde

ivk5

Re: Documenting my investments in real time for future reference: bought my gold

Post by ivk5 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:41 am

Good luck! Appreciate the openness and willingness to discuss moves not necessarily aligned with BH dogma.

For the rest of us, a good reminder of a hidden risk of concentrated bets (like your GOOG/AMZN one). It may go great and embolden you to move on to bigger and riskier bets that eventually won’t.

Topic Author
steve321

Re: Documenting my investments in real time for future reference: bought my gold

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:50 am

ivk5 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:41 am
Good luck! Appreciate the openness and willingness to discuss moves not necessarily aligned with BH dogma.
thank you! I wish you good luck with your investments too :happy I feel very confident with Amazon and gold at the moment. Slowly selling my GOOG stocks and might double up on Amazon, will see.
Won't go ahead with Zoom unless I become confident as I am with those 2.
May we all prosper!
Cheers.
Success does not bring happiness. In fact, happiness IS success. | 'There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.' Oscar Wilde

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:06 am

steve321 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 am
Following my earlier post on investing in gold and Zoom, I have developed some doubts on the latter, thanks in particular to those posters who pointed out the high P/E of the company. However, as a momentum investor, I am still quite attracted to the stock so I might still go ahead. Will depend on the vibes I get during my meditation. As my mentor Ray Dalio says, it's often in meditation that you get your best ideas.
Concerning gold, I have gone ahead and actually bought physical gold instead of an ETC. Bought 21.4 Kg at a price of 46350 pound sterling/Kg, roughly 57390 dollars/Kg.
Let's see how it plays out in the next few years. Wish me luck. May you all prosper. :sharebeer
Re Zoom I suspect that ship has sailed. It might have strategic value for someone who wants the customer base.

Gold. I hope it is in a safe storage location.

One would have to know your overall portfolio but I wish you luck.

Topic Author
steve321

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:09 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:06 am
steve321 wrote:
Re Zoom I suspect that ship has sailed. It might have strategic value for someone who wants the customer base.

as safe as it can be. Armed guards looking after it in a safe location. I might at a later date collect it and keep it at home, after building a suitable storage place. What worries me about that is the trip from the storage location to my house. But there should be ways to do that safely too, without incurring too large an expense.

sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:26 am

steve321 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:09 am

as safe as it can be. Armed guards looking after it in a safe location. I might at a later date collect it and keep it at home, after building a suitable storage place. What worries me about that is the trip from the storage location to my house. But there should be ways to do that safely too, without incurring too large an expense.
Am I reading this right: you are thinking about having $1M of physical gold in your house? I can't escape the feeling that I am being trolled. :beer

Topic Author
steve321

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:33 am

sean.mcgrath wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:26 am
steve321 wrote:

Am I reading this right: you are thinking about having $1M of physical gold in your house? I can't escape the feeling that I am being trolled. :beer
After building an adequate storage place, why not? Gold is in case of a crisis, in case institutions fail, so it's handy to own it physically to hedge for that doomsday risk.
I don't see the problem in having expensive items at my place. We have some pretty expensive paintings (though of course not Picassos) and many of our friends know about them; nothing has ever happened to us so far.

RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:46 am

Physical gold is more useless than paper gold.

Paper gold is liquid and can diversify a portfolio.

Physical gold is an illiquid asset with a questionable ability to resell for a fair market price.

Physical gold also doesn't fulfill its role in a crisis scenario because it doesn't provide nutrients, shelter, or protection. It makes more sense that we would regress into a barter economy rather than a gold economy.

I foresee most physical gold holdings being forgotten in safes and resold at a loss by estate beneficiaries.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:47 am

steve321 wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
steve321 wrote:

I think it would be a terrible mistake to have that much gold at home.

We are in the territory of professional criminals - safecrackers etc. Unless you could insure it? The possibility of a targeted raid, or worse a home invasion type crime, is awful. Gold is almost the perfect stealable - it can be melted down, it can be smuggled in small amounts.

Read up on Kenneth Noye and the Brinksmat robbery. He was convicted for handling gold but not convicted for killing a policeman on surveillance duty.

There was also that family in ?Gloucestershire? who had done something like 100 country houses before they were finally run to ground. I had cousins in Ireland (Republic) who were done by an IRA-related gang - tied them up in the house, took the furniture & art.

In North London, there is this perception that certain groups have a lot of money & jewelry at home. The gangs were using motorbikes to knock the front doors down. Riding in (when the families were home) and demanding jewelry etc.

Topic Author
steve321

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:19 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:47 am
steve321 wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
steve321 wrote:

We are in the territory of professional criminals - safecrackers etc. Unless you could insure it? The possibility of a targeted raid, or worse a home invasion type crime, is awful. Gold is almost the perfect stealable - it can be melted down, it can be smuggled in small amounts.

Read up on Kenneth Noye and the Brinksmat robbery. He was convicted for handling gold but not convicted for killing a policeman on surveillance duty.

There was also that family in ?Gloucestershire? who had done something like 100 country houses before they were finally run to ground. I had cousins in Ireland (Republic) who were done by an IRA-related gang - tied them up in the house, took the furniture & art.

In North London, there is this perception that certain groups have a lot of money & jewelry at home. The gangs were using motorbikes to knock the front doors down. Riding in (when the families were home) and demanding jewelry etc.
I don't really see a problem with having gold bars at our place, we can always 'Bury them in the bowels of the earth' to quote Sir W Churchill in our garden.

sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:36 am

steve321 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:19 am
Valuethinker wrote:

I don't really see a problem with having gold bars at our place, we can always 'Bury them in the bowels of the earth' to quote Sir W Churchill in our garden.

Hmmm, you've put your first name and city in your signature and you have 300+ posts. I wonder how long it would take me to figure out your address? Please do make sure to post once you've moved the gold -- I'd hate to act too early. :sharebeer

Topic Author
steve321

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:51 am

sean.mcgrath wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:36 am
steve321 wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:

Hmmm, you've put your first name and city in your signature and you have 300+ posts. I wonder how long it would take me to figure out your address? Please do make sure to post once you've moved the gold -- I'd hate to act too early. :sharebeer
Right, so you are going to dig up the gardens of all Steve's in the Southampton area? Better invest in a lot of digging material - it might cost you more that the gold you are after :wink: :D (particularly when you factor in the time). I also don't think there are many professional criminals on this board... Finally, as with Covid 19, I'm a bit of a fatalist; we take precautions but I also believe in fate.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:27 am

steve321 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:51 am
sean.mcgrath wrote:
steve321 wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:

Right, so you are going to dig up the gardens of all Steve's in the Southampton area? Better invest in a lot of digging material - it might cost you more that the gold you are after :wink: :D (particularly when you factor in the time). I also don't think there are many professional criminals on this board... Finally, as with Covid 19, I'm a bit of a fatalist; we take precautions but I also believe in fate.
Beware of life's invisible people.

All of us are surrounded by builders, cleaners, deliverymen, Royal Mail workers, minicab drivers, neighbours, bin men - who all know about our lives, sometimes in quite amazing detail. If we are pigs at home they know it. What possessions we have. How we behave towards others. That's why private eyes go through household rubbish.

That plus the usual close circle of family & friends, each with their own circle. Gossip is the currency of humans in social groups.

Having had relatives done over for their antique furniture, etc, I am in no doubt that there are very nasty people out there. My aunt's village in Somerset they were doing whole houses - even taking appliances. (The worst ones are where they take the manager's family hostage, and he drives them to the vault and opens it for them. That's how they did something like £40m of cash in Northern Ireland, the Bank of Ulster had to call in all of its £20 & £50 notes and cancel them - the perfect crime, but almost too perfect).

I think you'd be better off keeping your gold in that safety deposit box. To my knowledge, though, there'd be nowhere in England with private armed guards that was not MOD-related or nuclear related (the nuclear power plants have their own private, armed, security I believe). So, offshore, then.

As the Middle Eastern proverb goes "Trust in Allah. But, first, tie up your camel".

I sidetracked this onto storage precautions. It would be great to hear of your continued progress in this venture - thank you!

Topic Author
steve321

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:27 am
steve321 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:51 am
sean.mcgrath wrote:
steve321 wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:

Beware of life's invisible people.

All of us are surrounded by builders, cleaners, deliverymen, Royal Mail workers, minicab drivers, neighbours, bin men - who all know about our lives, sometimes in quite amazing detail. If we are pigs at home they know it. What possessions we have. How we behave towards others. That's why private eyes go through household rubbish.

That plus the usual close circle of family & friends, each with their own circle. Gossip is the currency of humans in social groups.

Having had relatives done over for their antique furniture, etc, I am in no doubt that there are very nasty people out there. My aunt's village in Somerset they were doing whole houses - even taking appliances. (The worst ones are where they take the manager's family hostage, and he drives them to the vault and opens it for them. That's how they did something like £40m of cash in Northern Ireland, the Bank of Ulster had to call in all of its £20 & £50 notes and cancel them - the perfect crime, but almost too perfect).

I think you'd be better off keeping your gold in that safety deposit box. To my knowledge, though, there'd be nowhere in England with private armed guards that was not MOD-related or nuclear related (the nuclear power plants have their own private, armed, security I believe). So, offshore, then.

As the Middle Eastern proverb goes "Trust in Allah. But, first, tie up your camel".

I sidetracked this onto storage precautions. It would be great to hear of your continued progress in this venture - thank you!
Yes sounds like there are very nasty people around from your stories. We are lucky to have good neighbors, we leave our keys with one of them as we are often away for long stretches of time (DW has family in Russia) and nothing ever happened and they look after our plants etc very well. So yes some nasty people out there, but there are also many kind hearted people who are the overwhelming majority IMO, and I like to focus on them. Positive thinking and emotions are important!
As for armed guards, 5 seconds into this video I see a gun, so it looks pretty safe to me at the moment!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... HVCWo_DnKE

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:41 am

steve321 wrote:

...I don't really see a problem with having gold bars at our place, we can always 'Bury them in the bowels of the earth' to quote Sir W Churchill in our garden.
I have a different thought for you.

What is the smallest piece of gold you intend to have buried at home?

I agree that the gold is tradable in a doomsday scenario, but what I don't think is that the gold is easily sub dividable in that scenario.

If you want to trade gold for bread, if 50 grams of gold is your smallest piece, bread is going to cost 50 grams.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:53 am

CurlyDave wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:41 am
steve321 wrote:

...I don't really see a problem with having gold bars at our place, we can always 'Bury them in the bowels of the earth' to quote Sir W Churchill in our garden.
I have a different thought for you.

What is the smallest piece of gold you intend to have buried at home?

I agree that the gold is tradable in a doomsday scenario, but what I don't think is that the gold is easily sub dividable in that scenario.

If you want to trade gold for bread, if 50 grams of gold is your smallest piece, bread is going to cost 50 grams.
People dont trade gold for bread in a doomsday scenario. A barter economy would develop, but people arent rushing to their safes to get gold, they are rushing to their safes to get guns and ammo.

Forester

Post by Forester » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:57 am

Fairly certain OP is a troll but good luck anyway :beer

Topic Author
steve321

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:17 am

Forester wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:57 am
Fairly certain OP is a troll but good luck anyway :beer
If you want to check, you might even be able to find records of my transaction online, based on quantity in my OP.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:26 am

As we saw during the first days of Covid, gold is useless. If you have toilet paper, paper towels, cans of food, you can trade for what you need. Nobody wants your gold during those kinds of times. When the power goes out, gasoline and small generators will be in great demand. Again, nobody wants your gold when they can't run their refrigerator. The idea that gold helps in a doomsday is silly. Where it's said to make sense is when a specific country crisis happens and you have to leave with your wealth in your suitcase. Can you see a problem there? How about the bandits along your route who will force you at gunpoint to open your suitcases and surrender that gold?

The good news for you today is that the equities market is expected to drop. That means the price of gold (and bonds) will likely go up. When the market turns around and goes up to a new high, your gold will drop.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:33 am

I once followed someone who claimed to document their investments online here.

It turned out to be a waste of time because they started hiding information in real-time. They delayed revealing stuff that made them look bad.

Hence, I am skeptical of such threads.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
steve321

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:26 am
As we saw during the first days of Covid, gold is useless. If you have toilet paper, paper towels, cans of food, you can trade for what you need. Nobody wants your gold during those kinds of times. When the power goes out, gasoline and small generators will be in great demand. Again, nobody wants your gold when they can't run their refrigerator. The idea that gold helps in a doomsday is silly. Where it's said to make sense is when a specific country crisis happens and you have to leave with your wealth in your suitcase. Can you see a problem there? How about the bandits along your route who will force you at gunpoint to open your suitcases and surrender that gold?

The good news for you today is that the equities market is expected to drop. That means the price of gold (and bonds) will likely go up. When the market turns around and goes up to a new high, your gold will drop.
history shows that in times of great crises (wars etc) gold rallies.
As for the idea that the equities market is expected to drop, that's a statement more antithetical to BH philosophy than all the ideas in my last two posts. If it is generally expected to drop, why don't people short it and make the price drop till equilibrium?

Topic Author
steve321

Post by steve321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:36 am

tadamsmar wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:33 am
I once followed someone who claimed to document their investments online here.

It turned out to be a waste of time because they started hiding information in real-time. They delayed revealing stuff that made them look bad.

Hence, I am skeptical of such threads.
ok no problem. Some people asked me yesterday to document my decision at the time I make them so I have done so. If you don't like it, then please just ignore this thread.
Best of luck to you.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:59 pm

Thread is locked for moderator review.