YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lazydavid
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

F150HD wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm
Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month.
:shock: oh h#ll no. Throw in taxes, prob $70-75 a month?
Nope, that’s the other distance between streaming and cable. Up to this point (and until the end of August, apparently), my entire YTTV bill has been exactly $49.99. Or about 50% more than the taxes and fees alone on my previous Comcast service. So starting 8/26, it will go to $64.99, to the penny.

MDfan
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by MDfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Still prefer YTTV to cable. It has all the channels I need and it saves money vs. the cable package I have to get to have those same channels (mainly sports channels like Golf Channel and MLB Network). Plus, it allowed me to get rid of my cable boxes and DVR. Saving almost $80/month, even at $64.99.
Last edited by MDfan on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MikeWillRetire
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by MikeWillRetire » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Well at least you don't have those set top boxes......

Topic Author
pcsrini
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by pcsrini » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:46 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm
F150HD wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm
Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month.
:shock: oh h#ll no. Throw in taxes, prob $70-75 a month?
Nope, that’s the other distance between streaming and cable. Up to this point (and until the end of August, apparently), my entire YTTV bill has been exactly $49.99. Or about 50% more than the taxes and fees alone on my previous Comcast service. So starting 8/26, it will go to $64.99, to the penny.
I think this depends on the state you live in. More and more states have now started taxing intangible goods such as streaming services.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/24/states- ... money.html

Random Poster
Posts: 2186
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Random Poster » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:52 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm
F150HD wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm
Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month.
:shock: oh h#ll no. Throw in taxes, prob $70-75 a month?
Nope, that’s the other distance between streaming and cable. Up to this point (and until the end of August, apparently), my entire YTTV bill has been exactly $49.99. Or about 50% more than the taxes and fees alone on my previous Comcast service. So starting 8/26, it will go to $64.99, to the penny.
Good to know, although I still probably won’t subscribe.

On the cable bill issue though, what really got to me was that the broadcast, sports, and entertainment surcharges were totaling nearly $30 of the bill.

Cut cable and cut out those surcharges and fees....

staustin
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by staustin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 pm

without sports, we've barely watched youtube tv at all... likely will cancel.

canderson
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by canderson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:08 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:28 pm
canderson wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:25 pm
I pay DirecTV $40.43/month for the Premium Choice Plus (250 channels) + HBO.

If you’re looking around ...
What is full price after the promotion ends? 1 TV or 5 TV?
I was paying $71 but got them to lower it to this rate two straights years. Had DTV since 2009.

2 TVs, whole home receivers.

gvsucavie03
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Streaming TV options (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by gvsucavie03 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --LadyGeek]

Started $35/mo a couple years ago, went up to $49.99, going up to $64.99 in August. Time to move on.

1. Needs live TV
2. Needs local channels
3. Needs to be a streaming app (no box/cable set-up), multiple devices
4. Needs a good-sized cloud DVR (fast-forwarding ads preferred)
5. Needs to be less than $65/mo.
6. No Showtime, HBO, extra sports networks, etc.

No dice on digital antenna... Rural area, only a couple channels available.

What do you use? What do you like about it?

Thanks!
Last edited by gvsucavie03 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

02nz
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by 02nz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 pm

Sling TV, $30/mo. Meets your criteria. Local channels vary so check that, but I think it also works with an antenna for local channels. The DVR is only 10 hours but you can pay for more.
Last edited by 02nz on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runner3081
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm

Ouch.

Why not go with an antenna? We receive about 50 channels, including all locals for $0 per month.

You can add a DVR to live tv as well, if desired.

gvsucavie03
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by gvsucavie03 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 pm
Sling TV, $30/mo. Meets your criteria, but local channels vary so check that, but I think it also works with an antenna for local channels. The DVR is only 10 hours but you can pay for more.
Thank you. $5/50hrs DVR. Not too bad. We can't do antenna here, but I do think you can get locals. I'll check or do a trial run.

gvsucavie03
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by gvsucavie03 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm
Ouch.

Why not go with an antenna? We receive about 50 channels, including all locals for $0 per month.

You can add a DVR to live tv as well, if desired.
Rural area, antenna would only get a few channels on a good day.

User avatar
rh00p
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:21 am

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by rh00p » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:18 pm

A $15 increase and you get six Viacom channels that I've never had interest in to begin with .

After the initial shock I decided to most likely go with Sling TV using an AirTV 2 to integrate local broadcasting more seamlessly. Will subscribe to the NFL Network and a couple of premium movie channels when the lineup makes it worthwhile. My TiVo Stream will integrate all my subscriptions on one channel guide.

I wonder if all of these price increases over the past couple of years indicates that streaming providers are having a tough time pricing their products versus the cable companies. At this rate it might eventually make more sense to go back to cable.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

Bimmer
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:33 pm

Re: Streaming TV options (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by Bimmer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 pm

I am a big fan of YouTube TV, but with this price increase it’s not worth it anymore and I will definitely be canceling right before the bill with the price increase. The two options I am considering are:

— Hulu w/ Live TV
— Sling with extra Cloud DVR (as discussed above)

I already have regular Hulu (wife and kids insist), so adding Hulu Live adds only $50, less than the new $65 for Youtube TV, but no change from current. Hulu Live TV meets most of our needs, just a smaller DVR than YouTube TV.

Incredibly we now have YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple Plus (1 yr free trial), and we just got Disney Plus for 1 year as a birthday gift. I get it as being nice during the pandemic, but crazy!! I think the key is monitoring and canceling things you are not using and canceling before subscriptions renew.

So far, still less than cable, especially since I have a free home phone line with the OBi200 and a Google Voice number. But it may not be too far off.

-Bimmer
____________________________ | Bimmer | ____________________________

Inframan4712
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by Inframan4712 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:40 am

gvsucavie03 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm
Ouch.

Why not go with an antenna? We receive about 50 channels, including all locals for $0 per month.

You can add a DVR to live tv as well, if desired.
Rural area, antenna would only get a few channels on a good day.
Are you SURE? Go here:

https://www.antennaweb.org

Plug in your zip code. On the next page, you get a list of channels you can receive. Further down that page is a map, showing where the towers are (thus where to point the antenna), and most importantly what kind of antenna you need to get those channels.

Alternatively, download Antenna Point app. It sometimes gives slightly different results.

We have a ROKU television with OTA tuner and OTA channels via antenna are pretty well integrated. My wife and I don't miss cable at all. Except for ESPN for sports. And there aren't any sports right now.

My good friend likes Sling.

gvsucavie03
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by gvsucavie03 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:11 am

Inframan4712 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:40 am
gvsucavie03 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm
Ouch.

Why not go with an antenna? We receive about 50 channels, including all locals for $0 per month.

You can add a DVR to live tv as well, if desired.
Rural area, antenna would only get a few channels on a good day.
Are you SURE? Go here:

https://www.antennaweb.org

Plug in your zip code. On the next page, you get a list of channels you can receive. Further down that page is a map, showing where the towers are (thus where to point the antenna), and most importantly what kind of antenna you need to get those channels.

Alternatively, download Antenna Point app. It sometimes gives slightly different results.

We have a ROKU television with OTA tuner and OTA channels via antenna are pretty well integrated. My wife and I don't miss cable at all. Except for ESPN for sports. And there aren't any sports right now.

My good friend likes Sling.
We tried two of them. Yes, I am sure.

The Broz
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Streaming TV options (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by The Broz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 am

My guess is that YTTV is probably the best of all the services out there, so the $65 price is probably not that outrageous. The issue is that they raised the price $15 for a bunch of crap that most people with never watch - and it is not an option.

We dropped YTTV when we moved, and got ATT TV and internet bundled, which worked out to be a better price. The TV service is adequate, but not as good as YTTV.

I wish there was a super-basic package that we could do. We don't really watch very much stuff these days, but these companies know how to get our money.

adestefan
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Re: Streaming TV options (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by adestefan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:38 am

Philo https://try.philo.com/ is a $20 service that keeps rates low by having no sports or premium channels that charge outrageous carry fees. However, it also doesn’t have local channels. If that meets someone’s needs it’s a good choice.

Since the pandemic hit I’ve learned that I can live without sports and I’ve always subscribed to MLB.tv anyway. I’m also lucky enough to live right between two major cities so I can get over 60 channels OTA. I’ll probably stick do a combo of OTA and Philo so the wife and kids can get what they want. I can use the money I’ll save over YTTV to upgrade my attic antenna to something more than the mashup of coat hangers that are up there now.

KarenC
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:25 am

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by KarenC » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:53 am

02nz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 pm
Sling TV, $30/mo. Meets your criteria. Local channels vary so check that, but I think it also works with an antenna for local channels. The DVR is only 10 hours but you can pay for more.
I used to have Sling TV and just looked into restarting it. They are offering me my former package (Sling Blue and News Extra), with $10 off of Sling Blue for the first month; that would make it $25 the first month and $35 thereafter (before taxes).

This issue is that they are also tacking on something they call "Premium Pass" which is free but only for the first month; as a result the cost monthly cost they are quoting after the first month is $59. I guess there is some way to cancel that Premium Pass but this sort of sales tactic, preying on the forgetful, leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I might just go without.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 63984
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:56 am

I merged gvsucavie03's thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (youtube).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bloom2708
Posts: 7879
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Streaming TV options (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:14 am

adestefan wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:38 am
Philo https://try.philo.com/ is a $20 service that keeps rates low by having no sports or premium channels that charge outrageous carry fees. However, it also doesn’t have local channels. If that meets someone’s needs it’s a good choice.

Since the pandemic hit I’ve learned that I can live without sports and I’ve always subscribed to MLB.tv anyway. I’m also lucky enough to live right between two major cities so I can get over 60 channels OTA. I’ll probably stick do a combo of OTA and Philo so the wife and kids can get what they want. I can use the money I’ll save over YTTV to upgrade my attic antenna to something more than the mashup of coat hangers that are up there now.
I am going to try Philo + Amazon Fire TV Recast DVR. We have good over the air antenna reception. I purchased a Recast upon hearing of the YouTube TV price hike.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

daheld
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am
Location: Midwest US

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by daheld » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am

We dropped DirecTV a few months ago because we just didn't watch. I was planning to get YouTube TV in the fall for college basketball and football. I will now be getting either Sling or Hulu. Internet costs us $60/month. I am not willing to pay more than about $100/month for internet and TV.

Sucks, we loved YouTube TV during the 7 day trial.

yolli71
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 am

Re: Streaming TV options (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by yolli71 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am

Bimmer wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 pm
I am a big fan of YouTube TV, but with this price increase it’s not worth it anymore and I will definitely be canceling right before the bill with the price increase. The two options I am considering are:

— Hulu w/ Live TV
— Sling with extra Cloud DVR (as discussed above)

I already have regular Hulu (wife and kids insist), so adding Hulu Live adds only $50, less than the new $65 for Youtube TV, but no change from current. Hulu Live TV meets most of our needs, just a smaller DVR than YouTube TV.

Incredibly we now have YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple Plus (1 yr free trial), and we just got Disney Plus for 1 year as a birthday gift. I get it as being nice during the pandemic, but crazy!! I think the key is monitoring and canceling things you are not using and canceling before subscriptions renew.

So far, still less than cable, especially since I have a free home phone line with the OBi200 and a Google Voice number. But it may not be too far off.

-Bimmer
This price increase really stinks. I had been a customer of PS Vue and was very happy with that until they cut their streaming service in Jan. of this year. I've only been a YouTube TV subscriber for 6 months and the price is going up 30% for a bunch of channels I don't want...AND they still haven't added NFL Network. :annoyed

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet...I'll have to look at the options. Like you Bimmer, we have a lot of subscriptions...YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu w/ no ads, ESPN+, Disney Plus, HBO, and Showtime. We may need to cut it back as this is getting expensive.

My in-laws have Hulu Live but I think the interface is terrible, so I probably won't go that route. I was a DirecTV customer for 20 years before cutting the cord but really don't want to go back to cable with all the boxes, cables, etc. You get a nice low entry rate for 1 or 2 years and then you have to play the "I'm going to cancel" game to keep your rates reasonable every year thereafter.

lazydavid
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 am

daheld wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am
We dropped DirecTV a few months ago because we just didn't watch. I was planning to get YouTube TV in the fall for college basketball and football. I will now be getting either Sling or Hulu. Internet costs us $60/month. I am not willing to pay more than about $100/month for internet and TV.
If your primary purpose for a streaming service is sports, check out FuboTV. It has more sports networks than all the other services combined.

mnsportsgeek
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by mnsportsgeek » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:05 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 am
daheld wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am
We dropped DirecTV a few months ago because we just didn't watch. I was planning to get YouTube TV in the fall for college basketball and football. I will now be getting either Sling or Hulu. Internet costs us $60/month. I am not willing to pay more than about $100/month for internet and TV.
If your primary purpose for a streaming service is sports, check out FuboTV. It has more sports networks than all the other services combined.
And is adding ESPN in August.

02nz
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by 02nz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:16 am

KarenC wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:53 am
02nz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 pm
Sling TV, $30/mo. Meets your criteria. Local channels vary so check that, but I think it also works with an antenna for local channels. The DVR is only 10 hours but you can pay for more.
I used to have Sling TV and just looked into restarting it. They are offering me my former package (Sling Blue and News Extra), with $10 off of Sling Blue for the first month; that would make it $25 the first month and $35 thereafter (before taxes).

This issue is that they are also tacking on something they call "Premium Pass" which is free but only for the first month; as a result the cost monthly cost they are quoting after the first month is $59. I guess there is some way to cancel that Premium Pass but this sort of sales tactic, preying on the forgetful, leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I might just go without.
Then sign up without promo, or just cancel the premium pass on the first day; you'll still have access through the end of the billing cycle.

tm3
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by tm3 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:23 am

Bad news. As much as I love YTTV it just is not worth $65/month. $40-50 is about right IMO.

I'll never go back to cable, so it looks like Sling and Philo need a look.

bloom2708
Posts: 7879
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Streaming TV options (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:25 am

yolli71 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am
I was a DirecTV customer for 20 years before cutting the cord but really don't want to go back to cable with all the boxes, cables, etc. You get a nice low entry rate for 1 or 2 years and then you have to play the "I'm going to cancel" game to keep your rates reasonable every year thereafter.
This is where I am at. I actually looked at the DirecTV prices again yesterday. :oops: :oops: :oops: But, the thought of all those RG6 cords running all over and the box fees and dish on the roof and taxes and not having TV when it rains hard. I can't go back. We may end up subscribing to YouTube TV in the fall if nothing better pops up.

We have Netflix and Hulu No Ads. I also really do not like the Hulu Live usability. Just a strange interface. Even how they put the "select" line on top of the item you are selecting. Just strange. :? They do have a nice bundle for ESPN+, Disney, Hulu No ad and Hulu Live, but it is approaching cable prices as well. Sigh. Onward we march.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Dinosaur Dad
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:05 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Dinosaur Dad » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:28 am

this is starting to defeat the purpose of cutting the cord. But YTTV's unlimited DVR is a huge thing for us - we rarely watch things live. And I do value having all the local networks in one package...but I wonder if we'll soon have to assemble all that ourselves versus getting an integrated package from one supplier.

Also happy to be rid of cable, although the cable company is still my internet provider. I need more competition in my local area!
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton

Jags4186
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:31 am

Hulu with Live TV is interesting at $55/mo as it includes local stations and regional sports networks. Although, my guess is they will now increase their pricing and add channels no one watches.

I just cancelled YouTube TV last night even though I would have kept the $50 deal until my August bill date. The truth is, without sports, without YES Network (originally why I got it), the only thing I use YouTube TV for is really cable news. I’ll just use my mother’s cable login and can get most channels through their respective apps.

If the NFL season happens I’ll sign up for Sling for a few months at $35/mo to gain access to RedZone.

mrmass
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by mrmass » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:48 am

For cable just do the 2 year swap. My name for 2, spouses name for 2...rinse repeat. Get all the specials this way.

Just don't do it if your email addy is tied to the account. You will lose it when you cancel it.

daheld
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am
Location: Midwest US

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by daheld » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 am
daheld wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am
We dropped DirecTV a few months ago because we just didn't watch. I was planning to get YouTube TV in the fall for college basketball and football. I will now be getting either Sling or Hulu. Internet costs us $60/month. I am not willing to pay more than about $100/month for internet and TV.
If your primary purpose for a streaming service is sports, check out FuboTV. It has more sports networks than all the other services combined.
Most of what I watch is on the ESPN family of networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ACC Network). Do you know if Fubo is a provider that gets you access to the ESPN app? That's mainly what I need.

lazydavid
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:56 am

daheld wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 am
lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 am
daheld wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am
We dropped DirecTV a few months ago because we just didn't watch. I was planning to get YouTube TV in the fall for college basketball and football. I will now be getting either Sling or Hulu. Internet costs us $60/month. I am not willing to pay more than about $100/month for internet and TV.
If your primary purpose for a streaming service is sports, check out FuboTV. It has more sports networks than all the other services combined.
Most of what I watch is on the ESPN family of networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ACC Network). Do you know if Fubo is a provider that gets you access to the ESPN app? That's mainly what I need.
I suspect it will, but we won't know for sure until those networks launch on Fubo in August. Other streaming platforms that have the ESPN suite do allow WatchESPN login, so it seems likely.

mnsportsgeek
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by mnsportsgeek » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:09 am

mrmass wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:48 am
For cable just do the 2 year swap. My name for 2, spouses name for 2...rinse repeat. Get all the specials this way.

Just don't do it if your email addy is tied to the account. You will lose it when you cancel it.
That’s what we do. Takes about an hour or 2 every 2 years.

And I’m paying less than what I’d pay for internet + YTTV after this price hike.

The subscriber numbers were already lousy for YouTube TV. This price hike might be their last hope at profitability before killing it. Hard to make any money when you don’t negotiate better content deals than cable, and don’t have any of the extra fees. Something has to give.

The industry needs a complete overhaul. Not just cable provided via the internet.
Last edited by mnsportsgeek on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

squirm
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by squirm » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:13 am

I'll stick with Dish...$50 after doing my yearly negotiating AND I can blow through all the commercials with the 30 second skip.

scoreboard
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:19 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by scoreboard » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:19 am

I love Youtube TV and will keep it. The choice of channels (minus NFL REDZONE) and the amazing DVR makes it worth it to me. Plus I can "travel" with my TV on a Firestick.

The price has crept up quite a bit - there is no denying it. I had Directv with a comprehensive package for $68 per month (I was a customer since 1997 so they always gave me a great deal when I threatened quitting) but I had to keep trimming my tress back or they would get in the way of the satellite dish.That yearly $300 charge pretty much made Directv cost me $100 a month.

I had Playstation Network for about 6 months and really liked it with NFL REDZONE. But they were losing money and stopped providing the service. I'm glad Youtube TV is not going away like PSN did.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 3074
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by F150HD » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:52 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 am
daheld wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am
We dropped DirecTV a few months ago because we just didn't watch. I was planning to get YouTube TV in the fall for college basketball and football. I will now be getting either Sling or Hulu. Internet costs us $60/month. I am not willing to pay more than about $100/month for internet and TV.
If your primary purpose for a streaming service is sports, check out FuboTV. It has more sports networks than all the other services combined.
thats $55 a month for the 'standard' plan. Where I am (which DOES have taxes on the bill) prob 60-65? Hmmm...Sling is looking pretty good in fall.

Frome
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Frome » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:25 pm

Does anyone here use these services for anything other than sports? We had DirecTV live and HuluLive for a while and only used them for sports, mostly football. Canceled after the Superbowl. All of the other shows that I care to watch are available on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon, and you can just watch them whenever it's convenient for you without having to DVR. From the comments here, it seems that we're not the only ones. I'm sure the leagues are locked into multi-year contracts with the networks, but at some point I imagine they are going to decide it makes more sense for them to sell access to their games through their own apps rather than through the networks. The MLB and NBA already seem to be heading that way.

Topic Author
pcsrini
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by pcsrini » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:47 pm

It's amazing that live sports and broadcast TV are still able to charge premium prices even with the rapid rise of Netflix, Amazon and other cheaper and content rich "on demand" streaming services. As more folks choose to leave live TV cable/streaming services, I wonder if the customers who remain are continuing to face increasing costs in order to shoulder the burden of the fixed costs of live programming. It's hard to understand how Netflix & Amazon are so profitable even with all the rich content they have, and their significantly lower subscription fees.

Random Poster
Posts: 2186
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Random Poster » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:56 pm

Frome wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:25 pm
Does anyone here use these services for anything other than sports?
For the casual viewer or one whose team is usually ranked high enough to get national or regional tv coverage, I guess all you really need is access to ABC, CBS, and Fox. And if you have a house and live in an urban area, maybe all you really need then is an antenna?

When I lived in Canada, I could watch the Seattle and Boston local channels through my Canadian cable subscription, but I couldn’t get ESPN (there was TSN, but it didn’t show the US college football games). After a while, I didn’t miss ESPN all that much—it helped though that most of the week’s “big games” were on ABC or Fox (or occasionally CBS when/if it was a SEC game I wanted to see).

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20122
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:09 pm

It is happening with Hulu too. I am thinking more and more of dropping.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Blue456
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:46 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Blue456 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pm

pcsrini wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm
Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month. Late last year it was increased by 25% from $39.99 to $49.99. It's a good service, but the constant price increases make it less appealing.
I quit google back in 2010. I wouldn't use their service even if they paid me.

Helo80
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Helo80 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 pm

I didn't realize that the price was ever $40. I was a bit slow to realize that YoutubeTV was a thing though... $50 seemed like a competitive price if I ever were to go back to cable. $65? No, thanks.

To Youtube's credit though, they probably make it super easy to cancel. I think it's just through the website so no retention department or sales pitches.

New Providence
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:10 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by New Providence » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 pm

This is terrible news. There's no savings with streaming service.

Hulu Live costs same, but they say that it is glitchy.

FUBO could be better option. Same price as YouTube TV (just went up too), twice the channels and plenty of soccer.

Philo is $20 but only a couple of Viacom channels.

A few yrs ago I cancelled FIOS to save dough and now am at the same damn price. Only difference is that I don't want cable boxes around the house, they are ugly and don't want to pay for 5 of them.

IMO
Posts: 913
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by IMO » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:20 am

Didn't know it was that much. At least I know it's not something I feel worth considering.

TV just seems less and less appealing. We use an antenna for local stations/news, get free Netflix's from our T-mobile phone plan, and I think we pay for Amazon prime (not sure how much that is?). That along with something like $60 for internet seems to be more than enough for us. When we go to hotels with Direct TV or cable, go through the channels and realize we not missing much.

Has anyone else noticed that teenagers nowadays don't even seem to care to watch TV (no matter what programming) nowadays? They seem much more interested in watching youtube video's. I wonder what the statistics are for young adults paying for cable TV?

Marylander1
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Marylander1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 am

pcsrini wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm
Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month. Late last year it was increased by 25% from $39.99 to $49.99. It's a good service, but the constant price increases make it less appealing.
Customers pay $65 a month and still have to endure advertisements interrupting programs? I don't understand why people pay this.

Marylander1

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:44 am

Awful was thinking of streaming til now.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

CycloRista
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:53 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by CycloRista » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:48 am

My home is a subscription free zone (other than paying for basic internet service and cableTV).

Jags4186
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:07 am

Marylander1 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 am
pcsrini wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm
Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month. Late last year it was increased by 25% from $39.99 to $49.99. It's a good service, but the constant price increases make it less appealing.
Customers pay $65 a month and still have to endure advertisements interrupting programs? I don't understand why people pay this.

Marylander1
You’re paying for someone to deliver programming to your home. The advertising is paying for someone to make programming.

yolli71
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 am

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by yolli71 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:13 am

Unfortunately I researched it last night and looked at all the other options, and for me, I just don't see any other subscriptions that are better than YouTube TV for my needs. Fubo, Sling, AT&T, Hulu, and Philo all have their issues. I want local channels, sports, a good DVR, and some basic cable channels (HGTV, ID, E, HLN, TNT, etc.), and YouTube still seems best for me. I guess I'll just have to suck up the $15 increase.

Post Reply