LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
beernutz
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by beernutz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Our 2008 LG 3 door (bottom freezer) refrigerator died a quiet death this weekend. My guess is the compressor has gone kaput. I cleaned the fan and coils and let it sit unplugged for a while but it still won't cool after powering it on again and I think I hear the compressor click off after about 20 seconds of being powered on.

I called the LG 1-800 number on the fridge sticker and got the run around when trying to get an estimate of how much a new compressor would cost to install out of warranty. I then called a couple of local appliance repair companies with good google reviews, neither of which would work on LG fridges because of part acquisition problems.

I have read numerous posts about LG and their crappy and slow customer service and combined with the fact that even the fridge's 10 year compressor parts warranty has now expired suggest to me that dumping this $2,800 piece of crud and going forward with a new fridge from a different source might be a better option.

I thought I would put this out there to see if bogleheads who have also had an LG fridge stop cooling had found other options.

I am very happy for those who are going to post that their LG fridge is still working perfectly. Good for you!
Last edited by beernutz on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

EagertoLearnMore
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Appliances that last a long time are gone, now most appliances appear to be manufactured for planned obsolescence. I would take the money for any repairs and put it towards a new fridge. Less worry and no hassle factor waiting for parts.

barnaclebob
Posts: 4117
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:10 pm

If google cant provide a simple fix such as a broken relay or something like that then dump it and get a new one.

lazydavid
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 pm

Planned obsolescence. Since you asked :) I'll put in the obligatory "my 7-year old LG fridge is working fine", but I knew when I purchased it that getting out-of-warranty repairs would be basically impossible due to parts unavailability. This is a problem for most brands nowadays, but LG and Samsung in particular are notorious for it. But we liked it better than any of the other options in its price range, so we went with it anyway.

So we're already coasting on borrowed time for most of it, but have 3 years left on the compressor. If it makes it to 12 and dies like yours has, it will go to the recycler and be replaced by whatever brand/model is the best fit at that time. Might be another LG, might not.

User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 2307
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by anon_investor » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:26 pm

beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm
Our 2008 LG 3 door (bottom freezer) refrigerator died a quiet death this weekend. My guess is the compressor has gone kaput. I cleaned the fan and coils and let it sit unplugged for a while but it still won't cool after powering it on again and I think I hear the compressor click off after about 20 seconds of being powered on.

I called the LG 1-800 number on the fridge sticker and got the run around when trying to get an estimate of how much a new compressor would cost to install out of warranty. I then called a couple of local appliance repair companies with good google reviews, neither of which would work on LG fridges because of part acquisition problems.

I have read numerous posts about LG and their crappy and slow customer service and combined with the fact that even the fridge's 10 year compressor parts warranty has now expired suggest to me that dumping this $2,800 piece of crud and going forward with a new fridge from a different source might be a better option.

I thought I would put this out there to see if bogleheads who have also had an LG fridge compressor die had found other options.

I am very happy for those who are going to post that their LG fridge is still working perfectly. Good for you!
Are you sure the compressor has died and its not the overload or start relay switches? If it is just the switches, that would likely only be a $20 DIY fix.

Teague
Posts: 1996
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by Teague » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm

If you haven't already, look up "defrost timer" and make sure that's not your problem.
Semper Augustus

Vanguard Fan 1367
Posts: 1725
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:14 pm

My 2006 GE fridge just quit working. I do have an appliance repairman I like and paid his house call 65 bucks to look at it. He recommended a new Fridge so we took his advice and
Ordered one yesterday at Home Depot.

If you want a new refrigerator then have at it. I might consider having it looked at to see if repair is possible.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

sport
Posts: 9312
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by sport » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:27 pm

I just had the compressor fail on my 2006 GE. The estimate to repair it was about $1000. So, I bought a Whirlpool 25 cu ft, French Door model in stainless steel for $1699.

User avatar
Topic Author
beernutz
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by beernutz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:00 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:26 pm
beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm
Our 2008 LG 3 door (bottom freezer) refrigerator died a quiet death this weekend. My guess is the compressor has gone kaput. I cleaned the fan and coils and let it sit unplugged for a while but it still won't cool after powering it on again and I think I hear the compressor click off after about 20 seconds of being powered on.

I called the LG 1-800 number on the fridge sticker and got the run around when trying to get an estimate of how much a new compressor would cost to install out of warranty. I then called a couple of local appliance repair companies with good google reviews, neither of which would work on LG fridges because of part acquisition problems.

I have read numerous posts about LG and their crappy and slow customer service and combined with the fact that even the fridge's 10 year compressor parts warranty has now expired suggest to me that dumping this $2,800 piece of crud and going forward with a new fridge from a different source might be a better option.

I thought I would put this out there to see if bogleheads who have also had an LG fridge compressor die had found other options.

I am very happy for those who are going to post that their LG fridge is still working perfectly. Good for you!
Are you sure the compressor has died and its not the overload or start relay switches? If it is just the switches, that would likely only be a $20 DIY fix.
I am not positive it is the compressor. I ran the diagnostic code reveal procedure and it reported an error 22 which is the compressor starter relay so I ordered a replacement. However, I've replaced these on freezers that weren't cooling in the past which had the same symptoms and it was hit and miss as to how effective that repair was. It is however cheap to try and replace and I appreciate your suggestion as that's something everyone should check before trashing their fridge.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

User avatar
Topic Author
beernutz
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by beernutz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:06 pm

Teague wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm
If you haven't already, look up "defrost timer" and make sure that's not your problem.
I did a parts search on my fridge model for "defrost timer" at the online store where I usually buy appliance parts and it didn't return a part with that name. The closest part found was a Pcb Assm.,timer/key which looks like the part I saw in a youtube video of someone replacing a defrost timer.

I'm going to first try replacing the starter relay and if that doesn't work I'll explore the defrost timer solution. I appreciate the suggestion.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

Teague
Posts: 1996
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by Teague » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:51 pm

beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:06 pm
Teague wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm
If you haven't already, look up "defrost timer" and make sure that's not your problem.
I did a parts search on my fridge model for "defrost timer" at the online store where I usually buy appliance parts and it didn't return a part with that name. The closest part found was a Pcb Assm.,timer/key which looks like the part I saw in a youtube video of someone replacing a defrost timer.

I'm going to first try replacing the starter relay and if that doesn't work I'll explore the defrost timer solution. I appreciate the suggestion.
On the ones I've dealt with there has always been a way to manually advance the defrost timer, maybe true of yours hopefully. Even if the part is bad, that can be diagnostic. Basically find out where there's a special hole to stick a screwdriver, turn it a bit to advance the timer, and if there's a little clunk and the fridge starts running you've found your problem.
Semper Augustus

User avatar
Topic Author
beernutz
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by beernutz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:07 pm

Teague wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:51 pm
beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:06 pm
Teague wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm
If you haven't already, look up "defrost timer" and make sure that's not your problem.
I did a parts search on my fridge model for "defrost timer" at the online store where I usually buy appliance parts and it didn't return a part with that name. The closest part found was a Pcb Assm.,timer/key which looks like the part I saw in a youtube video of someone replacing a defrost timer.

I'm going to first try replacing the starter relay and if that doesn't work I'll explore the defrost timer solution. I appreciate the suggestion.
On the ones I've dealt with there has always been a way to manually advance the defrost timer, maybe true of yours hopefully. Even if the part is bad, that can be diagnostic. Basically find out where there's a special hole to stick a screwdriver, turn it a bit to advance the timer, and if there's a little clunk and the fridge starts running you've found your problem.
Thanks for the tip!
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

bikesandbeers
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:08 am

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by bikesandbeers » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 pm

In my extended family we've had two lg french doors need new compressors within 5 years of purchase. Covered under warranty at least.

My parenents have an early 1990s Kenmore going strong. My gradparents had the same GE unit from the late 1950s until 1995. Still worked, but couldnt keep Ice cream sandwhiches solid

User avatar
Cubicle
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by Cubicle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:32 pm

beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm
I am very happy for those who are going to post that their LG fridge is still working perfectly. Good for you!
Thanks! My LG fridge is running great! :mrgreen:
________________________

I don't think it'd be worth to change the compressor if you could even find someone to do it. Fridges are moist, electrical, hot/cold. Everything next to the 3 day old compressor is 12 years old. Would not fix, would replace.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

RetiredAL
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by RetiredAL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 pm

beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:06 pm
Teague wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm
If you haven't already, look up "defrost timer" and make sure that's not your problem.
I did a parts search on my fridge model for "defrost timer" at the online store where I usually buy appliance parts and it didn't return a part with that name. The closest part found was a Pcb Assm.,timer/key which looks like the part I saw in a youtube video of someone replacing a defrost timer.

I'm going to first try replacing the starter relay and if that doesn't work I'll explore the defrost timer solution. I appreciate the suggestion.
Since you are handy enough to tackle the relay......
Does the compressor really start, or does it just try to start and then the overload opens (clicks )?
If yes, that could be a sign of a bad starter capacitor.
Capacitors are cheap.

Then again, the capacitor could be integral with the relay and that why they are pointing you towards the relay.

inbox788
Posts: 7117
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:39 am

anon_investor wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:26 pm
Are you sure the compressor has died and its not the overload or start relay switches? If it is just the switches, that would likely only be a $20 DIY fix.
I fixed a refrigerator by switching out the start relay that was burned out from a failing compressor (learned the hard way). Worked for a week and fried the new relay. I think I got 8 years out of that Frigidaire or Amana.

There's a class action lawsuit on LG because they fail right after the 5 year warranty is up. Almost as if they put a clock on it, but they don't really have to put an actual clock. They just design their parts to last past the warranty period and so they're only tested to last that long, so basically these consumer devices have planned obsolescence built in by design. These aren't the overengineered devices of yesteryear. So if you got 12 years out of it, it's not that bad, and maybe better than most, despite the claimed 20 year design lifetime.

I've grown tired of these overly complex devices with too many useless features that simple add cost and complexity, so I'm now looking for the simplest and cheapest, nearly disposable solution whenever possible.

So, OP, hopefully you'll have better luck with replacing the start relay than I did. It's worth a shot, but if it doesn't work, 4th of July sales are here.

Teague
Posts: 1996
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by Teague » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:16 am

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:39 am
anon_investor wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:26 pm
Are you sure the compressor has died and its not the overload or start relay switches? If it is just the switches, that would likely only be a $20 DIY fix.
I fixed a refrigerator by switching out the start relay that was burned out from a failing compressor (learned the hard way). Worked for a week and fried the new relay. I think I got 8 years out of that Frigidaire or Amana.

There's a class action lawsuit on LG because they fail right after the 5 year warranty is up. Almost as if they put a clock on it, but they don't really have to put an actual clock. They just design their parts to last past the warranty period and so they're only tested to last that long, so basically these consumer devices have planned obsolescence built in by design. These aren't the overengineered devices of yesteryear. So if you got 12 years out of it, it's not that bad, and maybe better than most, despite the claimed 20 year design lifetime.

I've grown tired of these overly complex devices with too many useless features that simple add cost and complexity, so I'm now looking for the simplest and cheapest, nearly disposable solution whenever possible.

So, OP, hopefully you'll have better luck with replacing the start relay than I did. It's worth a shot, but if it doesn't work, 4th of July sales are here.
Interestingly I was just thinking about "the overengineered products of yesteryear" earlier today. I speak as the owner of some of those things (1940's tractor, 1940's camp stove, and a few other things.) They're neat and I really enjoy having them.

I think what probably happened was that back in the old days manufacturers hadn't yet figured out how to accurately design something for a particular service life. The result was that some products fell apart way earlier than intended, some lasted about as long as intended, and some were way overbuilt and are still around working great decades later. Of course, the only ones we talk about so fondly now are in that last group, as the others long ago turned to dust. In a less-than-romantic sense, those awesome overengineered products were due to incompetence. :D

All that said, yes, I too don't appreciate much of the utter crap being built these days.
Semper Augustus

cheapskate
Posts: 806
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by cheapskate » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:35 am

I have a similar vintage LG, only difference is that mine is 4 door. All sorts of problems over the years, most recently something related to defrosting was broken. Got it fixed a few days ago (have sears appliance warranty since 2015 and a very good tech was dispatched who diagnosed and fixed that).

I have a thread about my problems. The one thing I wanted to mention from that thread is that most people advised me to stay clear of LG and Samsung refrigerators (they seem to be the worst). Whirlpool was the most recommended, as were Frigidaire and Amana. This is in case you decide to get a new one. Pricing seems to reflect this - near me, Whirlpool prices are quite a bit higher than LG and Samsung.

hudson
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by hudson » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:24 am

Beernutz,

I do like you do when something breaks; I go to the manual and read troubleshooting. I search the internet using the specific model number.
If there's not a smoking gun or an easy fix, I call the repair person. I've have a 10 year old refrigerator with many minor problems including a major ice maker problem. The local repair folks wouldn't touch the refrigerator that I purchased at Lowes. They said they couldn't get parts. I started to just buy another, but first I called Lowes and asked who did their repairs. They sent a tech that was 15 miles away. It took 4 trips and two $100 service calls plus parts to fix everything including my dishwasher. Now It's like new, and I have the tech's cell phone number.

Bottom line: Consider finding a good repair person.

User avatar
Info_Hound
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Threw a dart in a map and moved

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by Info_Hound » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:50 am

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:39 am

There's a class action lawsuit on LG because they fail right after the 5 year warranty is up. Almost as if they put a clock on it, but they don't really have to put an actual clock. They just design their parts to last past the warranty period and so they're only tested to last that long, so basically these consumer devices have planned obsolescence built in by design. ...
Had not heard of this lawsuit and I registered my LG with them when I bought it.

I had a french door LG bought in 2012. Exactly a month out of warranty the compressor failed. The cost of the replacement part and labor was equal to the cost of a new frig. Since there is not a stock of parts for LG in this country I was quoted it would take at least a month or longer for the part to arrive from out of country. Reviews I read at the time convinced me that this was just the start of a slippery slope of repairs the LG frig was headed down.

I hit the holiday sales and bought a new Whirlpool Gold french door frig and trashed the LG. So far the Whirlpool frig has been working without a hitch and it does not spit out random ice cubes onto the floor in the middle of the night like the LG did.

alfaspider
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:14 am

Teague wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:16 am

I think what probably happened was that back in the old days manufacturers hadn't yet figured out how to accurately design something for a particular service life. The result was that some products fell apart way earlier than intended, some lasted about as long as intended, and some were way overbuilt and are still around working great decades later. Of course, the only ones we talk about so fondly now are in that last group, as the others long ago turned to dust. In a less-than-romantic sense, those awesome overengineered products were due to incompetence. :D
Yeah, I think a lot of it is survivor bias. The old stuff that still works today is the stuff that was made really well. There was junk 50+ years ago, but it was in a landfill 50+ years ago too. Service lives on some items were very short compared to today. Cars used to be junk after 60k miles and one making it 100k miles on the original drivetrain was considered amazing. Today, cars routinely last 15 years and 200k miles.

I'd also point out that major appliances are cheaper than they used to be adjusted for inflation. For example, a basic refrigerator in 1952 cost around $320 according to this site:

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/50selectrical.html

That's a bit over $3,000 in 2020 dollars. While you certainly CAN spend $3,000 (or more) on a refrigerator, a functionally equivalent refrigerator to the one shown in that ad can be bought for about $500. Washer and dryers were closer to $5,000 in the 1950s (inflation adjusted) compared to around $1,000 today. A lot of it was that there was no cheaper way to do it back then. No integrated circuits- all wiring would have been done by hand and there would have been few solder joints to fail. Parts had to be made out of heavy duty material because there were no cheap plastics from China that could do the job. Very few consumers would be willing to pay 5x as much for an appliance built the old way, especially given that many common features would not be available on such models.

While it is frustrating to have stuff fail (I'm dealing with a failed controller board on our Bosch dishwasher at the moment), I certainly would not trade our current appliance availability with that of 70 years ago.

User avatar
rh00p
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:21 am

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by rh00p » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:19 am

beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm
Our 2008 LG 3 door (bottom freezer) refrigerator died a quiet death this weekend. My guess is the compressor has gone kaput. I cleaned the fan and coils and let it sit unplugged for a while but it still won't cool after powering it on again and I think I hear the compressor click off after about 20 seconds of being powered on.
I bought my fridge around the same time. Within six months it had the same symptoms. Motor would hum then click. Hum, then click blowing warm air the whole time.

The click was the relay for the first two stator coils opening because it heated up due to the armature unable to spin up. This was due to a burnt out relay for the third coil. The motor only needs voltage at two coils to spin the compressor, but needs voltage at the third one to get it started when cycling on, then it turns off. This saves energy. 13 years later still going strong.

Slide the fridge out, unplug it and unplug your relays usually near the motor not the compressor. Shake them around and hear for a rattle. Mine had a little hole burnt right through. Not saying you have the same issue, just saying.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

User avatar
Topic Author
beernutz
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by beernutz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:26 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 pm
beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:06 pm
Teague wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm
If you haven't already, look up "defrost timer" and make sure that's not your problem.
I did a parts search on my fridge model for "defrost timer" at the online store where I usually buy appliance parts and it didn't return a part with that name. The closest part found was a Pcb Assm.,timer/key which looks like the part I saw in a youtube video of someone replacing a defrost timer.

I'm going to first try replacing the starter relay and if that doesn't work I'll explore the defrost timer solution. I appreciate the suggestion.
Since you are handy enough to tackle the relay......
Does the compressor really start, or does it just try to start and then the overload opens (clicks )?
If yes, that could be a sign of a bad starter capacitor.
Capacitors are cheap.

Then again, the capacitor could be integral with the relay and that why they are pointing you towards the relay.
The compressor starts and then after about 20 seconds there's a click which appears to be the overload opening. I appreciate the suggestion. If the start relay replacement doesn't fix the fridge I'll look into a capacitor replacement. When I search for capacitor on appliancepros.com for my model LG there are 3 results: Capacitor for $46, Compressor Run Capacitor for $33, and Run Capacitor for $20. They all look similar but are clearly different parts. Which one did are you referring to?
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

User avatar
Topic Author
beernutz
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by beernutz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:27 pm

rh00p wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:19 am
beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm
Our 2008 LG 3 door (bottom freezer) refrigerator died a quiet death this weekend. My guess is the compressor has gone kaput. I cleaned the fan and coils and let it sit unplugged for a while but it still won't cool after powering it on again and I think I hear the compressor click off after about 20 seconds of being powered on.
I bought my fridge around the same time. Within six months it had the same symptoms. Motor would hum then click. Hum, then click blowing warm air the whole time.

The click was the relay for the first two stator coils opening because it heated up due to the armature unable to spin up. This was due to a burnt out relay for the third coil. The motor only needs voltage at two coils to spin the compressor, but needs voltage at the third one to get it started when cycling on, then it turns off. This saves energy. 13 years later still going strong.

Slide the fridge out, unplug it and unplug your relays usually near the motor not the compressor. Shake them around and hear for a rattle. Mine had a little hole burnt right through. Not saying you have the same issue, just saying.
Thanks! I'll check this out.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

RetiredAL
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by RetiredAL » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:16 pm

beernutz wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:26 pm
RetiredAL wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 pm
beernutz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:06 pm
Teague wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm
If you haven't already, look up "defrost timer" and make sure that's not your problem.
I did a parts search on my fridge model for "defrost timer" at the online store where I usually buy appliance parts and it didn't return a part with that name. The closest part found was a Pcb Assm.,timer/key which looks like the part I saw in a youtube video of someone replacing a defrost timer.

I'm going to first try replacing the starter relay and if that doesn't work I'll explore the defrost timer solution. I appreciate the suggestion.
Since you are handy enough to tackle the relay......
Does the compressor really start, or does it just try to start and then the overload opens (clicks )?
If yes, that could be a sign of a bad starter capacitor.
Capacitors are cheap.

Then again, the capacitor could be integral with the relay and that why they are pointing you towards the relay.
The compressor starts and then after about 20 seconds there's a click which appears to be the overload opening. I appreciate the suggestion. If the start relay replacement doesn't fix the fridge I'll look into a capacitor replacement. When I search for capacitor on appliancepros.com for my model LG there are 3 results: Capacitor for $46, Compressor Run Capacitor for $33, and Run Capacitor for $20. They all look similar but are clearly different parts. Which one did are you referring to?
Unless this is some kind of very exotic motor setup, in a normal motor there is only 1 capacitor used to create a phase-shift during the start. In a no-brain setup, there is a centrifugal switch to disengage the capacitor at a certain speed. A brain controlled start is either be based on time ( simple to do ) or measure the relationship of the instantaneous voltage to current relationship ( more complex ) as a speed estimate for exiting start.

During start, a lot more current is drawn, so if it stays in start mode too long, the thermal overload will open. When the overload cools, it will try to start again, but since there is residual heat in the overload, it will open sooner compared to a cold start.

A capacitor is a very generic item. I would suspect the high priced one is LG sourced, and the others by someone else.

To the motor, the only thing that matters is the UF size, such as 30 UF, and the voltage rating. Physical size only effects where and how to mount it. Capacitors degrade over time. If a 30 UF is called for, it will probably start if its only delivering 20 UF but will not start at 15 UF. A typical motor capacitor will be marked for a range, say 30 - 40 UF. Having a higher capacitance within reason does not hurt a motor, but the larger the capacitance, the bigger the capacitor physically is, thus it becomes a mounting problem. In general, the smaller the motor, the smaller the capacitor will be.

Many digital multi-meters will measure motor capacitors. However, a good visual clue of a capacitor going bad is swelling around the terminal area or anywhere on the case.

Although not a guarantee, the fact that it try's to start strongly points to the start circuit components. A broken motor/compressor with a locked rotor will not start at all and the overload will trip very quickly.

inbox788
Posts: 7117
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:18 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:14 am
While it is frustrating to have stuff fail (I'm dealing with a failed controller board on our Bosch dishwasher at the moment), I certainly would not trade our current appliance availability with that of 70 years ago.
OT, but made me ask what household appliances we have today that weren't available in 1950. Aside from the microwave (used to cost over $1000, now disposable), which isn't really a large appliance (and the espresso maker), I don't think we've made all that much progress. The really big improvements have been on television and other WiFi connected internet devices.

Am I missing a common large appliance that everyone else has?
Large Kitchen Appliances
Large kitchen appliances popular in the 1950s included refrigerators and electric ranges and ovens. While freon-cooled refrigerators had been introduced in the 1920s, the refrigerators of the 1950s gained the first ice makers and automatic defrosters. The electric oven and range, first available in the teens and 1920s, became common in the modern kitchens of the 1950s. While still a luxury item, dishwashers were included in some 1950s homes.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/1950s-pop ... 85038.html

https://coffee.org/pages/history-of-the-coffee-maker

Going back to the refrigerator, I saw a hack once to use an air conditioner to refrigerate a closet or room. Is there a company that sells the cooling portion separate from the box? Costco is having a sale on these portable coolers https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... rd=massimo where the cooling unit looks identical on the top, but the rest of the container is different size. This way, you could install your box in the kitchen, but if anything broke, you'd only need to send out a microwaved sized box or smaller out to get repaired.

Don't know how available these are, but modular concept, while interesting means more compressors, not less. And more power outlets too.
https://www.yankodesign.com/2018/04/04/ ... odularity/
https://www.u-line.com/modular-refrigeration

alfaspider
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:39 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:18 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:14 am
While it is frustrating to have stuff fail (I'm dealing with a failed controller board on our Bosch dishwasher at the moment), I certainly would not trade our current appliance availability with that of 70 years ago.
OT, but made me ask what household appliances we have today that weren't available in 1950. Aside from the microwave (used to cost over $1000, now disposable), which isn't really a large appliance (and the espresso maker), I don't think we've made all that much progress. The really big improvements have been on television and other WiFi connected internet devices.

Am I missing a common large appliance that everyone else has?
Large Kitchen Appliances
Large kitchen appliances popular in the 1950s included refrigerators and electric ranges and ovens. While freon-cooled refrigerators had been introduced in the 1920s, the refrigerators of the 1950s gained the first ice makers and automatic defrosters. The electric oven and range, first available in the teens and 1920s, became common in the modern kitchens of the 1950s. While still a luxury item, dishwashers were included in some 1950s homes.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/1950s-pop ... 85038.html

https://coffee.org/pages/history-of-the-coffee-maker

Going back to the refrigerator, I saw a hack once to use an air conditioner to refrigerate a closet or room. Is there a company that sells the cooling portion separate from the box? Costco is having a sale on these portable coolers https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... rd=massimo where the cooling unit looks identical on the top, but the rest of the container is different size. This way, you could install your box in the kitchen, but if anything broke, you'd only need to send out a microwaved sized box or smaller out to get repaired.

Don't know how available these are, but modular concept, while interesting means more compressors, not less. And more power outlets too.
https://www.yankodesign.com/2018/04/04/ ... odularity/
https://www.u-line.com/modular-refrigeration
I think pretty much all of the major appliances started coming into use by the 1950s. Even the microwave existed in the 1950s, but they weren't yet in common circulation due to being ridiculously expensive ($10k+ in today's $$$).

You can DIY refrigeration systems with component parts, but it would be difficult if not impossible to implement a modular system that also fits within current packaging constraints. Nobody wants a microwave size box sticking up out of their refrigerator. Besides, it doesn't really fix the situation all that much if you are still without refrigeration after it fails. A refrigerated closet can be done- many restaurants effectively have one of for food storage- walk in freezer/refrigerator. The biggest difficulty in a residential setting is insulating it and finding a place for the heat to go.

RetiredAL
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by RetiredAL » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:55 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:18 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:14 am
While it is frustrating to have stuff fail (I'm dealing with a failed controller board on our Bosch dishwasher at the moment), I certainly would not trade our current appliance availability with that of 70 years ago.
OT, but made me ask what household appliances we have today that weren't available in 1950. Aside from the microwave (used to cost over $1000, now disposable), which isn't really a large appliance (and the espresso maker), I don't think we've made all that much progress. The really big improvements have been on television and other WiFi connected internet devices.

Am I missing a common large appliance that everyone else has?
Large Kitchen Appliances
Large kitchen appliances popular in the 1950s included refrigerators and electric ranges and ovens. While freon-cooled refrigerators had been introduced in the 1920s, the refrigerators of the 1950s gained the first ice makers and automatic defrosters. The electric oven and range, first available in the teens and 1920s, became common in the modern kitchens of the 1950s. While still a luxury item, dishwashers were included in some 1950s homes.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/1950s-pop ... 85038.html

https://coffee.org/pages/history-of-the-coffee-maker

Going back to the refrigerator, I saw a hack once to use an air conditioner to refrigerate a closet or room. Is there a company that sells the cooling portion separate from the box? Costco is having a sale on these portable coolers https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... rd=massimo where the cooling unit looks identical on the top, but the rest of the container is different size. This way, you could install your box in the kitchen, but if anything broke, you'd only need to send out a microwaved sized box or smaller out to get repaired.

Don't know how available these are, but modular concept, while interesting means more compressors, not less. And more power outlets too.
https://www.yankodesign.com/2018/04/04/ ... odularity/
https://www.u-line.com/modular-refrigeration
Walk-in coolers are very common in stores, restaurants, and ranches. Cool it even more and it becomes a walk-in freezer. There are specifically designed compressors and cooling coils units for these. I personally would not try to use a conventional window AC to do this as the designed discharge temp is wrong for long term storage, but if you are looking to only hold 50 degrees, it would work at least so-so.

Using a regular closet would be poor, as condensation would like occur inside the wall. A walk-in cooler box is very well insulated and uses something imperious such a metal to control water vapor condensation in the walls. Think of window dampness/frost when it's cold outside. That's your inside water vapor condensing.

User avatar
Brianmcg321
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 am

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by Brianmcg321 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:03 pm

It could be something simple as the defrost function not working. Just needs a new computer board. Had that happen recently. This causes the vents in the freezer to ice over. Cost $200 to repair and about an hour for repairmans time.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

inbox788
Posts: 7117
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:17 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:39 pm
I think pretty much all of the major appliances started coming into use by the 1950s. Even the microwave existed in the 1950s, but they weren't yet in common circulation due to being ridiculously expensive ($10k+ in today's $$$).

You can DIY refrigeration systems with component parts, but it would be difficult if not impossible to implement a modular system that also fits within current packaging constraints. Nobody wants a microwave size box sticking up out of their refrigerator. Besides, it doesn't really fix the situation all that much if you are still without refrigeration after it fails. A refrigerated closet can be done- many restaurants effectively have one of for food storage- walk in freezer/refrigerator. The biggest difficulty in a residential setting is insulating it and finding a place for the heat to go.
Looks like microwave is a couple of decades older than I thought. And depending on how long they lasted, $10k buys a lot of DoorDash or GrubHub and I couldn't justify paying that much just to boil water to make tea.

Here's a commercial systems built to be repaired. The advantage would be that you could ship a new cooling unit via UPS instead of require a long special delivery appointment and moving the whole refrigerator (and potential cost savings). And if cheap and small enough, you could have several in the kitchen for function and redundancy. EnergyStar and efficiency standards probably work against this idea.
Image
https://habcomfg.com/cassette-refrigera ... heres-why/

Anyway, back to topic, and LG refrigerators (and most home appliance manufacturers) is that repairability isn't a requirement at time of purchase. Repair costs are prohibitive and designed to sell warranties. The forces are all aligned to dump it and get back on the treadmill.

sport
Posts: 9312
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by sport » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:16 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:55 pm
inbox788 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:18 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:14 am
While it is frustrating to have stuff fail (I'm dealing with a failed controller board on our Bosch dishwasher at the moment), I certainly would not trade our current appliance availability with that of 70 years ago.
OT, but made me ask what household appliances we have today that weren't available in 1950. Aside from the microwave (used to cost over $1000, now disposable), which isn't really a large appliance (and the espresso maker), I don't think we've made all that much progress. The really big improvements have been on television and other WiFi connected internet devices.

Am I missing a common large appliance that everyone else has?
Large Kitchen Appliances
Large kitchen appliances popular in the 1950s included refrigerators and electric ranges and ovens. While freon-cooled refrigerators had been introduced in the 1920s, the refrigerators of the 1950s gained the first ice makers and automatic defrosters. The electric oven and range, first available in the teens and 1920s, became common in the modern kitchens of the 1950s. While still a luxury item, dishwashers were included in some 1950s homes.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/1950s-pop ... 85038.html

https://coffee.org/pages/history-of-the-coffee-maker

Going back to the refrigerator, I saw a hack once to use an air conditioner to refrigerate a closet or room. Is there a company that sells the cooling portion separate from the box? Costco is having a sale on these portable coolers https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... rd=massimo where the cooling unit looks identical on the top, but the rest of the container is different size. This way, you could install your box in the kitchen, but if anything broke, you'd only need to send out a microwaved sized box or smaller out to get repaired.

Don't know how available these are, but modular concept, while interesting means more compressors, not less. And more power outlets too.
https://www.yankodesign.com/2018/04/04/ ... odularity/
https://www.u-line.com/modular-refrigeration
Walk-in coolers are very common in stores, restaurants, and ranches. Cool it even more and it becomes a walk-in freezer. There are specifically designed compressors and cooling coils units for these. I personally would not try to use a conventional window AC to do this as the designed discharge temp is wrong for long term storage, but if you are looking to only hold 50 degrees, it would work at least so-so.

Using a regular closet would be poor, as condensation would like occur inside the wall. A walk-in cooler box is very well insulated and uses something imperious such a metal to control water vapor condensation in the walls. Think of window dampness/frost when it's cold outside. That's your inside water vapor condensing.
When I worked in a auto battery test lab, we had a walk-in cooler at 32F and another one at 0F. This allowed us to test battery performance at those temperatures. If you were not used to going in and out of such temperatures, your body could run a fever because your internal "thermostat" was confused. The people who did it all the time became accustomed to it.

User avatar
Topic Author
beernutz
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: LG refrigerator not cooling--dump it and rebuy?

Post by beernutz » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Hallelujah, today I replaced the start relay and the capacitor and the fridge is cooling again. They were separately purchased parts, about $25 each shipped, so I'm not sure which was bad as I replaced them both. Better safe than...

As repairs go, this was definitely on the easy side. The only hard part was that an online appliance store first sent me the wrong part. Once I got the right parts it took maybe 10 minutes to get the fridge cooling again. Since we paid >$2,700 for this beast in 2008 I was very glad I didn't have to replace it.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

Post Reply