Discount wine sites for upscale wine?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Socrates

Discount wine sites for upscale wine?

Post by Socrates » Sat May 23, 2020 8:31 pm

I am looking for legit web sites or places that sell higher end wines for a discount? I know Costco sells wines at a good price, but sometimes their selection is limited. Have not been that impressed with Total Wine.

Thanks
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

7eight9

Re: Discount wine sites for upscale wine?

Post by 7eight9 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:08 pm

Sherry-Lehman - shop the sale selection --- https://www.sherry-lehmann.com/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

b4real

Post by b4real » Sat May 23, 2020 10:16 pm

We've been pleasantly surprised by the quality and prices at www.splashwines.com. So far we're half through our first case and every bottle has been better and less expensive than our usual medium priced wines. Will probably continue buying this way.

Horton

Post by Horton » Sun May 24, 2020 9:57 am

We subscribed to Naked Wines a few months back. Their wines are very young and, IMO, not any better than what we would find in our local grocery store. Their platform is neat though and you get to learn a bit about the winemakers.

With the summer approaching, we will probably cancel our subscription and just purchase wines at the grocery store to avoid having the wine sit on the delivery truck in 100+ degree heat.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun May 24, 2020 3:01 pm

b4real wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:16 pm
We've been pleasantly surprised by the quality and prices at www.splashwines.com. So far we're half through our first case and every bottle has been better and less expensive than our usual medium priced wines. Will probably continue buying this way.
looks interesting but currently has no list of wines in the packages or build your own. I've snoozed it for a month and repeats.
I'll look at it again in future.

VinoVita

Post by VinoVita » Sun May 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Not sure how high of a high end price fits your budget. Over the last couple of years I’ve purchased some phenomenal red wines (mainly Cab) from Vivino.com. My buying zone is usually in the $30-$60 per bottle range. These wines would list at the winery or retail from $50 to $150+. Some favorite examples: Beau Vigne, Vine Cliff, Caspar Estate, Beringer KVR, Cult...to name a few. Vivino is in the business to sell wine, and at times will inflate the ratings of some wines.
So, do your due diligence & get conformation from wine raters if you can i.e., Wine Advacate, Wine Enthusiast, Robert Parker etc. Just don’t drink the Vivino Koolaid without checking.
Good luck!🍷

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Sun May 24, 2020 6:26 pm

Last Bottle has daily deals. Some are meh, some are great. The Pinot he has up for sale right now (Lutum Sanford & Benedict Vineyard) is excellent for the money.

This a referral link: https://www.lastbottlewines.com/invite/ ... 48422.html

Horton

Post by Horton » Sun May 24, 2020 7:04 pm

Any good and cheap red wine recommendations? I’m always looking to expand my selection.

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon May 25, 2020 5:02 am

Horton wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:04 pm
Any good and cheap red wine recommendations? I’m always looking to expand my selection.
Which reds do you like and currently drink? There's such a wide range of varietals and styles out there it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing a bit more about your tastes. And how cheap?

Horton

Post by Horton » Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 am

Chip wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:02 am
Horton wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:04 pm
Which reds do you like and currently drink? There's such a wide range of varietals and styles out there it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing a bit more about your tastes. And how cheap?
I found a couple threads with lots of good recommendations:

viewtopic.php?t=164346

viewtopic.php?t=193253

For example, I have never tried Columbia Crest but it appears to be a fan favorite in both threads.

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon May 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Horton wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 am

viewtopic.php?t=164346

viewtopic.php?t=193253

For example, I have never tried Columbia Crest but it appears to be a fan favorite in both threads.
It's certainly worth trying some of those recommendations and see how your tastes line up with those posters. I've had the CC H3 cab and thought it was decent, though I don't drink many cabs. I also agree with the McManis suggestions. Incidentally, though we drink very little white wine our go-to for casual company who might want a white is McManis Viognier. All of the McManis wines are around $12 where I am.

Another low cost option is some of the wines from Cameron Hughes. He is what I call a "vulture winemaker", buying juice or finished wines from distressed wineries. Some of his wines that came out during the GFC were unbelievable bargains. But the problem with CH is that each of his purchases gets a dedicated lot number. Once that lot number is sold out you won't see it again. As a result some stores won't stock his wines, as they want something with the same label year to year.

Our current "everyday" wine is Troublemaker by Austin Hope, a zin-based "field blend". It's around $17.

Horton

Post by Horton » Mon May 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Chip wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:09 pm
Horton wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 am

viewtopic.php?t=164346

viewtopic.php?t=193253

It's certainly worth trying some of those recommendations and see how your tastes line up with those posters. I've had the CC H3 cab and thought it was decent, though I don't drink many cabs. I also agree with the McManis suggestions. Incidentally, though we drink very little white wine our go-to for casual company who might want a white is McManis Viognier. All of the McManis wines are around $12 where I am.

Another low cost option is some of the wines from Cameron Hughes. He is what I call a "vulture winemaker", buying juice or finished wines from distressed wineries. Some of his wines that came out during the GFC were unbelievable bargains. But the problem with CH is that each of his purchases gets a dedicated lot number. Once that lot number is sold out you won't see it again. As a result some stores won't stock his wines, as they want something with the same label year to year.

Our current "everyday" wine is Troublemaker by Austin Hope, a zin-based "field blend". It's around $17.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll have to give Cameron Hughes a try.

kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:58 pm

A handful of my favorite CA small wineries have done flash sales the last 2 months to replace their lost restaurant/wholesale and retail business.

Currently Sinor LaVallee www.sinorlavallee.com is rotating across their different wines every 1-2 weeks with 40-50% off (sale price ends up $15-25/bottle). Very high quality and the wines were already reasonably priced before the sale for a small volume high-end CA producer. Specializes in Pinot and Syrah, and also does a very good and interesting sparkling wine. Organic and "low intervention" so not using as many chemicals etc. as some of the mainstream wineries.

If you call them they'll let you do a mixed case on everything they've had on sale so far... let's just say my cellar is looking good for a few years :-)