What to look for when buying a table saw?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Yukon

Re: What to look for when buying a table saw?

Post by Yukon » Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 am

Pigeye Brewster wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:34 pm
tev9876 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 am
That goes on the Keter collapsible bench which is also good for temporary setups. https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Folding-Wo ... B001CWX26Y
I have one of those Keter workbenches. Excellent product.
How do you use it? Similarly to pigeye with the planer? I need to be more efficient in my garage!
Don't Work Forever.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon May 25, 2020 8:06 am

OP: a helpful path to enter woodworking is getting to know “your” tools, equipment, and capabilities.

Way back when, the Union apprenticeship program for finish carpenters had working Adult students make their own sawhorses (compound angles and mitres), nail boxes (cabinet joinery), and custom wood toolboxes. “Using only hand tools”. Results were from ugly to fine cabinetry.
So, the better one learned to sharpen chisels and set and sharpen a finish saw, etc,, and with growing skills, the better the results. Also plans reading, etc.
Including working on jobsites, it took from 2-4 years to make it to Journeyman level depending on experience, time in, etc.

Welding apprenticeship had the same thing with a tank stand and rolling steel cabinets. Etc.

Point here, is to enjoy the journey and have fun with reasonable expectations within your budget.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:36 am

Yukon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 am
Pigeye Brewster wrote:
tev9876 wrote:
That goes on the Keter collapsible bench which is also good for temporary setups. https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Folding-Wo ... B001CWX26Y
How do you use it? Similarly to pigeye with the planer? I need to be more efficient in my garage!
The pictures in the Amazon link sum up most of the use cases. Those large oval holes in the middle also allow the clamps to pass under the worktop so you can rotate them 90 degrees and clamp something down to the middle of the top. I have two of them which helps if you are working on long boards to keep them stable - basically large top sawhorses. The planer just sits on it when I am flattening boards and then gets put back under my main workbench out of the way when not needed.

This weekend I used mine to do some glue ups on some boards for a patio table. Very handy for clamping the boards in place to drill/install dowels, then keep them clamped while the glue dries. They are about 30" high so a comfortable height to sit at with a counter height stool for sanding and other longer tasks.

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:31 pm

Yukon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 am
Pigeye Brewster wrote:
tev9876 wrote:
For the portable table saw. And it's just a good, solid work bench that is portable and versatile.