2020 Bogleheads Conference Update

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: 2020 Bogleheads Conference Update

Post by oldcomputerguy »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:43 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:14 am Philadelphia is my choice - check the location under my username.
Philadelphia has two things going for it:
1) LadyGeek
2) Vanguard.

Victoria
My choice as well, for both these points as well as the fact that Philadelphia is just an awesome town.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I guess if y'all want to fly to Florida or Philadelphia and stay in a hotel while you join the Zoom conference, far bet it from me to suggest otherwise. :happy
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:30 pm Philadelphia is also a major sports town. Our fans are very vocal and loyal to our teams. Depending on the conference schedule, you can attend a local sporting event (Phillies / Flyers / Eagles / Sixers - assuming things return to normal).

I'm bringing this up because my first year attending the Bogleheads Conference was in Philly. Each lunch table had an assigned conference presenter. By pure luck, I sat at the table assigned to Jack Bogle. Jack comes to the table with his lunch and sits right next to me. :shock:

What's the standard way to get a conversation going when you don't know the topic and are sitting next to the world's expert?

"Hi Jack, so how about those Phillies?"

He wasn't a sports fan...
That is a priceless story. Honestly, I can not imagine!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

TravelGeek wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:19 pm Throw in the European BHs and we could perhaps meet in Reykjavik. Which sounds awesome to me :)
Seconded!
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

TravelGeek wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:19 pm
Nestegg_User wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:37 pm
{normally I'd say, for west coast, Portland (but it's had its own problems) as it generally has good facilities, great accessible airport, good metro transport and more reasonable cost than the Bay Area or LA.
Well, it’s not like the entire Portland Metropolitan Area is impacted by current protests, and the Philly conference location wasn’t exactly in downtown Philly. So not sure that is really a factor.

That said, as a PNW resident living in driving distance to Portland, I would rather seen the conference be somewhere else, as an excuse to travel somewhere (see my username). I enjoyed exploring Valley Forge on my one trip to Philadelphia a couple of years ago. I also thought the side trip to Vanguard HQ as part of the conference program was a special opportunity to see “where our money lives” (as my wife puts it). (perhaps something similar could be arranged in Boston with Fidelity?)

Anyway, if the conference is supposed to be centrally located, it would be near Kansas City... if we ignore all non-US Bogleheads. Throw in the European BHs and we could perhaps meet in Reykjavik. Which sounds awesome to me :)
For 2021 or early 2022, we Europeans wouldn’t be too selective, however please don’t ignore us. We do prefer direct flights or not more than one layover, which is why Fort Lauderdale would be wonderful. I know a golf course that’s quite reasonable priced 8-) Plus as I mentioned before, some of our original founders would find it easier to make an appearance. If we’re lucky, we could hear the story about the “house that Jack built” and the first Boglehead conference.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Kitty Telltales wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:15 pm Plus as I mentioned before, some of our original founders would find it easier to make an appearance. If we’re lucky, we could hear the story about the “house that Jack built” and the first Boglehead conference.
That certainly is a justification I understand and support.
packer16

Post by packer16 »

In terms of 2021, since the in person conference will be sold out, can we have "satellite" conferences with video links so folks can experience the fellowship of local bogleheads along with content from the central conference. This may alleviate some of the space constraints.

Packer
Buy cheap and something good might happen
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

How about Boston. We have a lot of Fidelity centric Bogleheads, and maybe do a tour of their headquarters! I’m sure they would love to have us. 8-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ We could put it up for a competitive bid. The one who supplies the most snacks wins. Also, some good quality schwag. :D
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

If the virtual format is successful, I wonder if you will consider a virtual format permanently, at least in some form. I imagine a virtual format would make Boglehead knowledge much more accessible. Personally, I do not have the time to attend an in person conference but would be very much interested in the virtual version.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

aristotelian wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:35 pm If the virtual format is successful, I wonder if you will consider a virtual format permanently, at least in some form. I imagine a virtual format would make Boglehead knowledge much more accessible. Personally, I do not have the time to attend an in person conference but would be very much interested in the virtual version.
Totally agree. Would love this ability going forward.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

jason2459 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:49 pm
aristotelian wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:35 pm If the virtual format is successful, I wonder if you will consider a virtual format permanently, at least in some form. I imagine a virtual format would make Boglehead knowledge much more accessible. Personally, I do not have the time to attend an in person conference but would be very much interested in the virtual version.
After this year, I would love to never again participate in a virtual event of any kind.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:50 am
After this year, I would love to never again participate in a virtual event of any kind.
I would love to never have to participate virtually in events in the future due to safety concerns of participating in person.

But I do hope the future events continue to have virtual participation options, even when it is safe to gather in person, for those with time, travel, caregiving (whether for kids or parents or other loved ones), or other constraints!

cj
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:50 am After this year, I would love to never again participate in a virtual event of any kind.
I was a remote worker for several years before the pandemic started. Zoom was my daily companion. And even before *I* was physically remote from our headquarters, I had many colleagues around the world that I was collaborating with, so literally every meeting for me for the last twenty or so years has involved some sort of conference call and web meeting. So... welcome to my world :)

Actually, now that I am FIREd, my Zoom meetings usually tend to involve adult beverages of some kind... :sharebeer
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

clip651 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:25 pm
I would love to never have to participate virtually in events in the future due to safety concerns of participating in person.

But I do hope the future events continue to have virtual participation options, even when it is safe to gather in person, for those with time, travel, caregiving (whether for kids or parents or other loved ones), or other constraints!

cj
Agree. I was able to take a virtual painting course this year that I would not have been able to attend in person. We had the option of watching live or later, and there were discussions in the learning portal as well as a private Facebook group in which to post our questions and our own paintings. I hope the folks planning the BH events have access to the technical expertise to make it go smoothly. Lots of very smart techies on this forum!

With a virtual rollout this year, the usual time constraints are not present. Perhaps one presentation session a week for ten weeks? Followed by a Q and A session a few days later for each week's presentation...

I think there is great value in making these meetings more accessible.
Unwinder

Post by Unwinder »

I can appreciate everyone's hard work to make this conference happen. I just don't do well with virtual conferences. I appreciate the challenging times that we live in and I've been impressed with businesses and organizations ability to adapt to these challenges, but I just can't focus for virtual conferences. For whatever reason, I'm not wired that way. I can do a Zoom call with one or two other people, but more than that and I just mentally check out. I'm ready for all this craziness to get over so I can go back to meeting people again. I never realized how much I like in person networking until covid came around.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Faith20879 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:47 pm Woohoo looks like I can finally attend a BH conference.

Can't express my gratitude enough!
Same. October is a busy time at work, so getting the time off to travel to the East Coast and back has just never been feasible in the past. I don't even try to get a spot. A virtual conference on the other hand I could attend on the weekend without issue.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Unwinder wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:56 pm I can appreciate everyone's hard work to make this conference happen. I just don't do well with virtual conferences. I appreciate the challenging times that we live in and I've been impressed with businesses and organizations ability to adapt to these challenges, but I just can't focus for virtual conferences. For whatever reason, I'm not wired that way. I can do a Zoom call with one or two other people, but more than that and I just mentally check out. I'm ready for all this craziness to get over so I can go back to meeting people again.
Every other year? I have realized how happy I am in my bare feet in my comfortable furniture watching a webinar or participating in a Zoom meeting. And how preferred virtual is to fidgeting in a conference chair. Of course, I am sure a BH conference would be worth putting shoes on for. Unfortunately, I missed registration by 32 seconds when I tried to attend in person and did not yet know about the waiting list.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:30 pm
TravelGeek wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:19 pm Throw in the European BHs and we could perhaps meet in Reykjavik. Which sounds awesome to me :)
Seconded!
Thirded!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:37 pm
Seconded!
Thirded!
Forced!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

VictoriaF wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:59 am
Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:37 pm
Seconded!
Thirded!
Forced!

Victoria
May the 4th be with you!
GreatOdinsRaven

Post by GreatOdinsRaven »

+1
"The greatest enemies of the equity investor are expenses and emotions." -John C. Bogle, Little Book of Common Sense Investing. | | "Winter is coming." Lord Eddard Stark.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Since Jack will no longer be joining us for the conferences except in spirit, and there is no longer the need to hold conferences in the Philly area to accommodate Jack's schedule and travel concerns, I agree that it opens up the ability to hold the conference in different locations.

And since this is not a Vanguard forum, but a forum devoted to investing advice inspired by Jack Bogle, I agree with the BH who suggested Boston (home of Fidelity) is a location to consider in future years. In fact, I'd like to see each major brokerage be provided an opportunity to host the Bogleheads at their headquarters for a portion of our conference just as Vanguard has done for many years. Fidelity is in Boston, Schwab is in San Francisco, E*TRADE is in the DC area, etc. (Full disclosure: I moved my entire portfolio out of Vanguard last year).

As far as virtual conferences in the future, the past conferences have been recorded and the videos and presentations made available https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... onferences. Also, the organizers have been very diligent about including all Bogleheads in the conference sessions, even those who could not attend in person, by inviting those unable to appear to submit questions which were asked on their behalf. So my preference would be to resume in-person conferences when it is safe to do so as I know the organizers will still graciously accommodate those who are unable to attend with the ability to view the sessions and participate in the dialog.
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 am my preference would be to resume in-person conferences when it is safe to do so as I know the organizers will still graciously accommodate those who are unable to attend with the ability to view the sessions and participate in the dialog.
Yes, that is the plan.

As to future locations, these decisions involve many factors including, but not limited to, proximity to a major airport and hotel accommodations, proximity to areas where a many Bogleheads live, whether the location has a Local Chapter that can host the event and provide volunteers, and cost.

The Bogle Center Board
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Still no announced dates for October 2020?
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The 2020 Bogleheads Conference has been announced in a different form. See: Introducing the Bogleheads Speaker Series

(This thread is locked to redirect the discussion.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.