Moving to a different state: Any effect on the amount of 529 contribution I can deduct from state taxes?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
katnok

Moving to a different state: Any effect on the amount of 529 contribution I can deduct from state taxes?

Post by katnok »

We are relocating from PA to a different state this June. PA allows 529 contributions up to $15,000/kid/parent to be deducted from state taxes.
Given the fact that we will be living in PA only half the year, will I still be able to deduct the maximum allowed per year from my 2020 taxes (to be filed in 2021)?

Thanks.
FiveK

Re: Moving to a different state: Any effect on the amount of 529 contribution I can deduct from state taxes?

Post by FiveK »

Is there anything in the instructions for the line on which the deduction is taken for part-year residents?
Topic Author
katnok

Re: Moving to a different state: Any effect on the amount of 529 contribution I can deduct from state taxes?

Post by katnok »

FiveK wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:51 am Is there anything in the instructions for the line on which the deduction is taken for part-year residents?
No, I haven't seen anything related to it.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

katnok wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:36 pm
FiveK wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:51 am Is there anything in the instructions for the line on which the deduction is taken for part-year residents?
No, I haven't seen anything related to it.
If the instructions don't say anything about apportioning the contributions, then it is reasonable to assume whatever you contribute is as deductible as if you were a full year resident.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I do know some states prorate deductions and credits based upon income ratio between states of residence. I don't know how Pennsylvania falls on this issue.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Maybe you can contribute to the new state’s 529 and double up your contribution.