So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Gnirk

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by Gnirk »

Orange-garlic prawns over wilted spinach. Recipe from my daughter. Marinade of freshly chopped rosemary, thyme, garlic, zest of one orange, and a little olive oil. Grill the prawns and peel the orange into bite-sized pieces and serve over a bed of wilted spinach. Delicious and healthy.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

For the first time I bought and baked a frozen pepperoni pizza branded as "Newman's Own" after the late actor Paul Newman. I must say, it was pretty darn decent, with great flavor and a crispy crust.

I would buy it again.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

fishandgolf wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:47 am This is a great thread......!

Lamb........My wife and I are looking for some different meals to prepare during the holidays. We've cooked up many different meals but never lamb. Kind of shied away from it for no apparent reason. Those of you that have made meals with lamb, I would appreciate your thoughts:

1). Is it comparable to other popular meats...? i.e.....pork, beef, poultry?
2). Is there a BEST way to prepare it? Grilling, smoking?
3). Is there a certain type of cut that is preferred over another......?
4). Any best recipes you can share?

We've got multiple ways to prepare it.......charcoal grill, gas grill, pellet/smoking grill, sou vide, and the good old fashion gas oven.

Looking forward to your comments!
Good quality lamb is on par with beef, some even say it’s better (but I would never provoke WW3 by asserting that).

Lamb shank is excellent, braised. Best to have a large shank, like in the Flintstones. Some restaurants serve thin ones, but you want a little fat for the flavor and juiciness. Braised is best, and baked.
kj10

Post by kj10 »

We are working to each eat 30+ plant foods a week in our household. (There’s a lot of research on gut health that says 30+ is a good aim, hence the goal.) We still consume meat and dairy, but we are working to up our plant food intake! In doing so, one of our favorite new recipes is a butternut squash and chickpea curry by the blogger A Cupful of Kale. We add wilted spinach and grilled chicken to the curry and make it pretty mild. Prior to this I had never made curry (or really ordered it much at restaurants), but our entire family is really loving this hearty and tasty dish. We serve it over rice.

Our favorite dessert at the moment is classic cheesecake made from the surprisingly easy to make (if you follow the directions!) recipe on the Sally’s Baking Addiction’s website.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I haven't done much cooking worth mentioning this year so far. Just don't seem to have the time. I have made simple and typical meals, which does help hone basic cooking techniques and improve attentiveness to heat and time. Or how to pour cereal into a bowl.

What I did decide to do new, is try several of the vegetarian and meat-alternative items from the freezer and deli sections of the grocery store. This is to satisfy my own curiosity, and so I can speak knowledgeably about them rather than having a knee-jerk response if they ever come up in conversation.

As I suspected, most do not fit my palate or my soul, produced in factories and often of questionable ingredients. The food scientists at these companies really know how to make a quick hit on your palate that is highly evocative of the non-vegetarian standard. My initial bite of almost all of them has been quite good. But those same food scientists have not figured out how to make a pleasant aftertaste, or how to avoid a sense of cloyingness that builds up if you eat more than a few bites in one sitting.

The best I have tried, and which had none of the negatives I just mentioned, are the Dr Praeger's California Veggie Burgers. They are not trying to be anything but a patty of compressed vegetables and spices, and the ingredients are good too. But for much less money you could just get some vegetables and roast them with some spices, or even mash them and form patties if you wanted to.

I still have to get back to making those crumpets.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Broiled chicken breasts, baked potato and green peas tonight.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

kj10 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:48 pm We are working to each eat 30+ plant foods a week in our household. (There’s a lot of research on gut health that says 30+ is a good aim, hence the goal.) We still consume meat and dairy, but we are working to up our plant food intake! In doing so, one of our favorite new recipes is a butternut squash and chickpea curry by the blogger A Cupful of Kale. We add wilted spinach and grilled chicken to the curry and make it pretty mild. Prior to this I had never made curry (or really ordered it much at restaurants), but our entire family is really loving this hearty and tasty dish. We serve it over rice.

Our favorite dessert at the moment is classic cheesecake made from the surprisingly easy to make (if you follow the directions!) recipe on the Sally’s Baking Addiction’s website.
Do you mean 30 servings of plant based food or 30 varieties of plant food per week.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

I smoked a turkey, deboned it, and used the meat in a variety of recipes including traditional Louisiana gumbo. I had more left and made this recipe, I was surprised how tasty it was. And, it freezes well as my wife and I had two meals from the recipe -- half one night and half a few weeks later.

https://www.culinary-cool.com/turkey-al ... ash-boats/
kj10

Post by kj10 »

LiveSimple wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:29 am
kj10 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:48 pm We are working to each eat 30+ plant foods a week in our household. (There’s a lot of research on gut health that says 30+ is a good aim, hence the goal.) We still consume meat and dairy, but we are working to up our plant food intake! In doing so, one of our favorite new recipes is a butternut squash and chickpea curry by the blogger A Cupful of Kale. We add wilted spinach and grilled chicken to the curry and make it pretty mild. Prior to this I had never made curry (or really ordered it much at restaurants), but our entire family is really loving this hearty and tasty dish. We serve it over rice.

Do you mean 30 servings of plant based food or 30 varieties of plant food per week.
30 varieties!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Chocolate Brownies

Test recipe: substitutions (no dairy, no eggs, no wheat, etc)

Almond flour (no wheat)
Tapioca Flour
Sub, egg substitute for eggs
Rice Dream sub for milk (just several Tbsp.
Melted Soy Butter sub for oil
Water

Came out a bit heavy but moist, had to chill it to cut it into squares. More "fluffy" would be better but not sure how to do that.

Ruining my figure! :shock:
cooking newbie
j :D

Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Artisan Bread

Experiment:
Almond Flour
Tapioca Flour (egg substitute)
Melted soy butter sub for oil
etc.

Came out well for a lst effort. Very very moist.

Need to refine ingredients to make it better. Not sure how.
Macadamian nut bits?
or treat it like carrot cake, etc.?

cooking newbie
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

tooluser wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:05 pm I haven't done much cooking worth mentioning this year so far. Just don't seem to have the time. I have made simple and typical meals, which does help hone basic cooking techniques and improve attentiveness to heat and time. Or how to pour cereal into a bowl.

What I did decide to do new, is try several of the vegetarian and meat-alternative items from the freezer and deli sections of the grocery store. This is to satisfy my own curiosity, and so I can speak knowledgeably about them rather than having a knee-jerk response if they ever come up in conversation.

As I suspected, most do not fit my palate or my soul, produced in factories and often of questionable ingredients. The food scientists at these companies really know how to make a quick hit on your palate that is highly evocative of the non-vegetarian standard. My initial bite of almost all of them has been quite good. But those same food scientists have not figured out how to make a pleasant aftertaste, or how to avoid a sense of cloyingness that builds up if you eat more than a few bites in one sitting.

The best I have tried, and which had none of the negatives I just mentioned, are the Dr Praeger's California Veggie Burgers. They are not trying to be anything but a patty of compressed vegetables and spices, and the ingredients are good too. But for much less money you could just get some vegetables and roast them with some spices, or even mash them and form patties if you wanted to.

Have you tried the "Beyond Burgers"? (patties)
Avail. Costco as well.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Bison! Over Christmas we made a gigantic batch of stew using bison short ribs and it was fabulous. I've done bison steaks twice, tenderloin and ribeye. OMG, good steaks. Expensive, but really worth it as a treat.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A variation on a classic Italian dish: Pasta With Spicy Sausage, Broccoli Rabe and Chickpeas

I used Italian sweet sausage with ziti for the pasta.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:43 am
tooluser wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:05 pm What I did decide to do new, is try several of the vegetarian and meat-alternative items from the freezer and deli sections of the grocery store. This is to satisfy my own curiosity, and so I can speak knowledgeably about them rather than having a knee-jerk response if they ever come up in conversation.
Avail. Costco as well.

I have not had a Beyond or Impossible burger. I have had Beyond sausage on a fast food burrito. It suffered much the same as the other things I have tried. The first bite was good, almost the same as meat, but the more I ate the more I could tell it was not. It was decent and did not build up a cloying flavor, perhaps because it was dispersed in other ingredients.

Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage is also decent. Their meatless bacon has a good initial hit, but annoys me after two slices.

This week I also cooked a T-bone steak in a cast iron pan on the stovetop. A grill is better, and I had it set up, but a small rainstorm came through and wetted my charcoal, and that was that. Montreal Steak Seasoning really does do a steak proud, but you have to use quite a bit or there is not enough salt.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

tooluser wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:34 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:43 am
tooluser wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:05 pm What I did decide to do new, is try several of the vegetarian and meat-alternative items from the freezer and deli sections of the grocery store. This is to satisfy my own curiosity, and so I can speak knowledgeably about them rather than having a knee-jerk response if they ever come up in conversation.
Avail. Costco as well.

I have not had a Beyond or Impossible burger. I have had Beyond sausage on a fast food burrito. It suffered much the same as the other things I have tried. The first bite was good, almost the same as meat, but the more I ate the more I could tell it was not. It was decent and did not build up a cloying flavor, perhaps because it was dispersed in other ingredients.

Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage is also decent. Their meatless bacon has a good initial hit, but annoys me after two slices.

This week I also cooked a T-bone steak in a cast iron pan on the stovetop. A grill is better, and I had it set up, but a small rainstorm came through and wetted my charcoal, and that was that. Montreal Steak Seasoning really does do a steak proud, but you have to use quite a bit or there is not enough salt.
I guess it’s an eating and lifestyle choice like eating meat or not, dairy or not, gluten or not, processed foods or not, and all that.

j🌺
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

tooluser wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:05 pm I haven't done much cooking worth mentioning this year so far. Just don't seem to have the time. I have made simple and typical meals, which does help hone basic cooking techniques and improve attentiveness to heat and time. Or how to pour cereal into a bowl.

I like real food better than food that is trying to be something that it is not. I eat a handful of nuts for breakfast with my coffee. With my dinner I will have real cheese, but I rarely eat meat. When I really want a hamburger, I get a real one. I figure my body is telling me it needs something from the meat. And I love vegetables. Love to have plenty in the freezer. Love to have a veggie bowl at Chipotle with mostly veggies in it.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

DW is grilling herself a filet mignon from Costco, and grilling me a nice piece of salmon, also from Costco. She baked a potato for herself, and a sweet potato for me.

Not sure what green veggies she will fix. I would love some sautéed spinach, however she has told me more than once, "you'll get what you get."

Surly cook! Poor review in her future!

Eye-popping :shock: prices for the beef and the fish, but we had cut back on red meat even before the pandemic and aftermath raised the prices so high.

I just don't eat the heavy meals I used to any longer. A good steak occasionally is still enjoyed, or a good piece of fish.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Mushroom pizza on the grill
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Winter White Salad - easy to make.

I had the salad with a Chardonnay wine as suggested, but I didn't think it went all that well with the blue cheese dressing.

(Chardonnay should be paired with mild cheeses.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
OMYx3

Post by OMYx3 »

Agree with comments about real food. Not really a fan of the "non-meat" meats...a lot of processing going on there. Would much rather have a reasonable portion of quality meat, but most of the time we find ourselves enjoying meals loaded with veggies. Roasted or grilled veggies are a staple. Enjoying this Thai Pizza! https://eatrealamerica.com/recipes/thai-pizza/
mkc

Post by mkc »

Shrimp and andouille gumbo.

I make big batches of gumbo base and keep quart-sized portions in the freezer. Cook up proteins and rice fresh.
Broken Man 1999

chris319 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:31 pm For the first time I bought and baked a frozen pepperoni pizza branded as "Newman's Own" after the late actor Paul Newman. I must say, it was pretty darn decent, with great flavor and a crispy crust.

I would buy it again.
We have had Newman's Own coffee, spaghetti sauce, and salad dressing (I think) and the products were good.

https://newmansownfoundation.org
Newman’s Own launched in 1982, with Paul declaring that 100% of the profits would go to charity. Today, the mission continues, and more than $570 million has been donated to thousands of charities....

Not a bad legacy! I saw Paul Newman at the St. Pete Grand Prix. His teammate, Jim Fitzgerald, crashed and died. Put a real damper on the otherwise festive atmosphere.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Tonight I roasted chunks of potatoes, rutabaga, red onions, and garlic cloves (unpeeled), with olive oil and seasoned salt. I discovered that rutabaga takes longer to cook than potato. An extra 15 minutes, but it still turned out well.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Try one of my go-to snacks - Rice cakes with peanut butter. For variation, rice cakes with honey.

Rice cakes by themselves are fairly bland, but adding a topping makes all the difference.
Broken Man 1999

mary1492 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:53 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:28 pm
chris319 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:31 pm For the first time I bought and baked a frozen pepperoni pizza branded as "Newman's Own" after the late actor Paul Newman. I must say, it was pretty darn decent, with great flavor and a crispy crust.

I would buy it again.
We have had Newman's Own coffee, spaghetti sauce, and salad dressing (I think) and the products were good.

https://newmansownfoundation.org
Newman’s Own launched in 1982, with Paul declaring that 100% of the profits would go to charity. Today, the mission continues, and more than $570 million has been donated to thousands of charities....

Not a bad legacy! I saw Paul Newman at the St. Pete Grand Prix. His teammate, Jim Fitzgerald, crashed and died. Put a real damper on the otherwise festive atmosphere.

Broken Man 1999
I will let you in on my favorite Newman's Own product, but I will warn you, if you try, you may become addicted. Please don't come back complaining, because I did warn you in advance.

Newman's Own Pineapple Salsa. Try it on your favorite tortilla chips and you may find the jar gone in one sitting. I could just eat it plain with a spoon and be in heaven. The saving grace is that it is all natural, and low calorie.
Hmmm, sounds good!

I'll ask DW to pick up some next time she goes to Publix.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Broken Man 1999
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Roasted bok choy (Asian store).
Dressed with a mix of vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar.

Green beans (frozen Trader Joes)
Sauteed with some spices, onions, dressed with shredded coconut, slivered almonds and seasoned with salt (my own recipe).

Trying to stay vegetarian for health reasons.
Delish :beer
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I've been wanting a chipotle turkey burger for a while. A burger chain here on the west coast used to have them in the before-times, but got rid of that menu item when they pared back their menu during the pandemic. I've never made burgers though, so I have no idea of the technique one uses for turkey burgers.

I have found the following chipotle turkey burger recipes to use as a foundation (although I'd leave off the cheese and cilantro, as I don't like either):

https://pinchofyum.com/chipotle-turkey-burger
https://iowagirleats.com/chipotle-chedd ... ado-crema/

Basically, the recipes I'm seeing are variations on the theme of ground turkey mixed with chipotle chiles, some garlic (fresh or powder), onion powder, and salt & pepper.

The original burger place served these turkey burgers with sliced avocado and pureed charred tomato salsa (basically a sauce-like consistency rather than chunky salsa).

Any thoughts on how to approach this for best culinary success?
mkc

Post by mkc »

Mudpuppy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:26 pm I've been wanting a chipotle turkey burger for a while. A burger chain here on the west coast used to have them in the before-times, but got rid of that menu item when they pared back their menu during the pandemic. I've never made burgers though, so I have no idea of the technique one uses for turkey burgers.

I have found the following chipotle turkey burger recipes to use as a foundation (although I'd leave off the cheese and cilantro, as I don't like either):

https://pinchofyum.com/chipotle-turkey-burger
https://iowagirleats.com/chipotle-chedd ... ado-crema/

Any thoughts on how to approach this for best culinary success?
Don't use white/extra lean turkey like those recipes suggest. Go for ground thigh meat if you grind it yourself, otherwise opt for the 93/7 blend - juicier, less likely to stick during cooking, harder to overcook and have end up dry.

If you have it, add a tiny bit (like 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon) fish sauce when mixing for umami.

Mix gently, cook patties in a greased, nonstick skillet or grill pan/Griddler. Check internal temperature - you want around 165F to make sure it's fully cooked.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I don't cook Turkey Burgers, but I watch Cooks Illustrated.

Have you seen this recipe
https://www.cnn.com/2014/08/29/living/t ... index.html

And then just add the flavors that you like.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

My favorite "sickness" meal (I'm ill at the moment, tested 'negative"). Still feeling lousy, just like the TSM.
What cheers me up:
  • 1 can - Progressive Tomato Basil soup
  • 1 pk - Nabisco Premium Saltine Crackers
  • 1 glass - hot lemonade, with some honey stirred in.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

We’re having hotpot in a few minutes. Not sure what will be in it.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

tetractys wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:51 pm We’re having hotpot in a few minutes. Not sure what will be in it.
Surprise yourself.
Try cuy...
https://www.eatperu.com/eating-cuy-guin ... -delicacy/
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

Most recent dishes

Poi mochi
Turkey chili
Red Thai curry
Vietnamese cabbage salad
Miso soup with tofu and wakame
Bulgogi
Grilled chicken
Hamburgers
Whole wheat pizza
Pecan & pistachio scones
Bolognese sauce
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Salad with chick peas, avocado, tuna, garlic, spices, roasted pumpkin seeds, avocado oil and apple cider vinegar, with a side of super strict multigrain toast.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I love the 30+ Plant food idea!
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

tenkuky wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:56 pm
tetractys wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:51 pm We’re having hotpot in a few minutes. Not sure what will be in it.
Surprise yourself.
Try cuy...
https://www.eatperu.com/eating-cuy-guin ... -delicacy/
There was chicken and fish; but no guinea pig.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

johnegonpdx wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:04 pm Most recent dishes

Poi mochi
Turkey chili
Red Thai curry
Vietnamese cabbage salad
Bulgogi
Grilled chicken
Hamburgers
Whole wheat pizza
Pecan & pistachio scones
Bolognese sauce
Not so fast, you: :)

Fresh or day-old poi?
How'd you spice the chicken?
Topping or bottomings on the burgers? And which ones?
What's on the pizza?
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:28 pm super strict multigrain toast
Inquiring minds want to know: :)

Super? How so?
"Strict" implies rules. What are the rules?
Multigrain: unspecified ingredients. Seems to be the exact opposite of strict.
Toast: Light or dark? What number on the toaster? (I like 5.)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

tooluser wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:46 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:28 pm super strict multigrain toast
Inquiring minds want to know: :)

Super? How so?
"Strict" implies rules. What are the rules?
Multigrain: unspecified ingredients. Seems to be the exact opposite of strict.
Toast: Light or dark? What number on the toaster? (I like 5.)
Mestemacher Three Grain Bread (imported, whole kernel, no sugar, brick like, also works as a doorstop), toasted on 2.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

mkc wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:40 pm Don't use white/extra lean turkey like those recipes suggest. Go for ground thigh meat if you grind it yourself, otherwise opt for the 93/7 blend - juicier, less likely to stick during cooking, harder to overcook and have end up dry.

If you have it, add a tiny bit (like 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon) fish sauce when mixing for umami.

Mix gently, cook patties in a greased, nonstick skillet or grill pan/Griddler. Check internal temperature - you want around 165F to make sure it's fully cooked.
InMyDreams wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:48 pm I don't cook Turkey Burgers, but I watch Cooks Illustrated.

Thanks for the feedback. I never would have thought about the fat content of the turkey and how that affects the turkey burger. I do have a meat thermometer to keep an eye on the internal temperature though.
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

tooluser wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:42 pm
johnegonpdx wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:04 pm Most recent dishes

Poi mochi
Turkey chili
Red Thai curry
Vietnamese cabbage salad
Bulgogi
Grilled chicken
Hamburgers
Whole wheat pizza
Pecan & pistachio scones
Bolognese sauce
Not so fast, you: :)

Fresh or day-old poi?
How'd you spice the chicken?
Topping or bottomings on the burgers? And which ones?
What's on the pizza?
1. Poi powder, actually. works out pretty well. If I could get fresh poi, I'd eat it as is and make some poke + lomi salmon to complement.
2. I do grilled chicken with salt + pepper or lemon pepper rub, or 1-day marinade in a CJ BBQ spicy sauce.
3. Burgers are heavily breaded with panko since we go with a leaner ground, and we tend to sauce them after with just a little hoi sin.
4. Pizza is usually some combo of olive oil, mozzarella, spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, feta, and basil.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Thanks, AnnetteLouisan and johnegonpdx, that all sounds delicious!
I'm going to have to try hoisin sauce on a burger.
mkc

Post by mkc »

tooluser wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:33 pm Thanks, AnnetteLouisan and johnegonpdx, that all sounds delicious!
I'm going to have to try hoisin sauce on a burger.
If you like a little kick, try gochujang on a burger (or in your meatloaf glaze)!
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

deleted
Last edited by Zeno on Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:51 am
mkc wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:40 pm Don't use white/extra lean turkey like those recipes suggest. Go for ground thigh meat if you grind it yourself, otherwise opt for the 93/7 blend - juicier, less likely to stick during cooking, harder to overcook and have end up dry.

InMyDreams wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:48 pm I don't cook Turkey Burgers, but I watch Cooks Illustrated.

Thanks for the feedback. I never would have thought about the fat content of the turkey and how that affects the turkey burger. I do have a meat thermometer to keep an eye on the internal temperature though.
Just tried the turkey burger tonight. I ordered 85% lean ground turkey, but the shopper substituted 93% lean. They also substituted my chipotle charred salsa with regular red salsa, so I put a little more chipotle in the meat mixture and just topped with mashed avocado, rather than avocado and salsa.

The meat thermometer was a great idea. I put my probe thermometer lengthwise in the middle of the patty and told it to alert me when it reached 165F. I was actually peeling and mashing the avocado when the thermometer alerted, so it ended up at 175F before I removed it from heat. The extra time and temperature didn't make it too dry though. It was nice and evenly cooked inside, while still retaining enough juices.

Overall, it turned out decent. I didn't mix the meat and peppers very evenly, so I did have a few "hot pockets" of more chipotle than meat, but it wasn't overpowering. I wish the grocery store had the salsa in stock, but topping with just the avocado worked out fine.
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

Hi,

If you like turkey burgers try these. I have a picky almost vegan friend who makes these for his family at least once a month and has one. Kids think these are the best "burgers" they have ever had...I have started grinding my own breasts when I can find them and they are even better. If not I like Butterball....

ACTUALLY DELICIOUS TURKEY BURGERS
40 -48 oz ground turkey
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 Tbsp onion flakes (love Kirkland)
½ tsp dried parsley
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp Basil or 12 fresh leaves about 1 Tbsp
½ tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 egg

Directions
In a large bowl, mix ground turkey and all the ingredients well. Be a man use your hands.. Form into 3/4 inch thick patties make a deep hole in the center clean thru to keep them from bulging. Cook the patties on grill for about 8 minutes one side then flip and cook for another 6-7 minutes. (use your brain though). I cook til I think they are almost done then wrap in foil for 5 minutes to finish cooking) Freeze remaining burgers